Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SalTheBard posted:

Why... Why can't ASM be good? Spidey is my favorite comic book character.

The comic has gone on for too long with too much old baggage from bad or badly edited writers. Ultimate proved (until Ultimatum) that the characters can still be good, if handled with some more care and given a somewhat clean slate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Don't buy Giant-Sized Spider Man. That is all

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

evilmiera posted:

The comic has gone on for too long with too much old baggage from bad or badly edited writers. Ultimate proved (until Ultimatum) that the characters can still be good, if handled with some more care and given a somewhat clean slate.

"Too much old baggage" has very little to do with it. Rehabilitating characters and starting from a somewhat clean slate are trivially easy things to do in comics, even without reality-altering retcons. It's the bad writers and the fans who refuse to stop giving them money for their lovely work that are the problem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

"Too much old baggage" has very little to do with it. Rehabilitating characters and starting from a somewhat clean slate are trivially easy things to do in comics, even without reality-altering retcons. It's the bad writers and the fans who refuse to stop giving them money for their lovely work that are the problem.

Don't forget the bad editors who put out strange edicts about the character's age and relationship status but don't seem to care about anything else the writers do.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

SalTheBard posted:

Don't buy Giant-Sized Spider Man. That is all

Any particular reason?

Also ASM from last week, holy poo poo the writing is even worse than brand new day.

"Herp we're gonna pause our money making thing so we can defeat electro and make a new super villain prison derp, by the way not spider-man"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget the bad editors who put out strange edicts about the character's age and relationship status but don't seem to care about anything else the writers do.

I mostly agree with you but I can't really blame them for preferring that Spider-Man not be middle-aged.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I mostly agree with you but I can't really blame them for preferring that Spider-Man not be middle-aged.

They haven't actually changed his age, they just want him to act like he is still in high school.

While in his late twenties.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I still don't get how being married equals being middle-aged.

Or having a stable job and kid for that matter. Those are things that people in their twenties and thirties have, and Peter hasn't been in High School for almost fifty years. Hell he hasn't really been in college for thirty.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Any particular reason

I didn't like it. It's a retelling of his origin and then retellings of his first fights with Vulture, Doc Ock and Sandman. Nothing offensive but not worth $5.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't like it. It's a retelling of his origin and then retellings of his first fights with Vulture, Doc Ock and Sandman. Nothing offensive but not worth $5.

You could reprint the original comics in a single giant-size issue and save both money and time.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jesus, between this and Learning to Crawl, they're really getting their money's worth out of one of the most well-known and overtold origin stories in superhero history.

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
I for one would love to read a current in-continuity book about a middle aged, divorced, deadbeat dad Spider-man that--wait...I just described a Cyclops story didn't I?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jason Ray posted:

I for one would love to read a current in-continuity book about a middle aged, divorced, deadbeat dad Spider-man that--wait...I just described a Cyclops story didn't I?

Modern burn-out Cyclops is great so I'm gonna say I support this. Just pull a reverse OMD and get a young thirties married with a kid Spider-man barely supporting his family. Or hell, MJ is a supermodel so maybe Peter's job doesn't even matter that much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know people around here don't look kindly on DeFalco's Spider-girl, but Peter as a CSU officer was a really good fit for his skillset and sense of justice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Learning to Crawl is going to be such a huge loving failure. It's not sell worth a poo poo anywhere that I've seen. It's literally the book nobody asked for.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know it must have sounded like a clever title, but it just makes Spider-Man sound like a baby.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Learning to Crawl is going to be such a huge loving failure. It's not sell worth a poo poo anywhere that I've seen. It's literally the book nobody asked for.

Do any origin retellings sell well?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just wish they'd put out more Untold Tales instead. But I guess that's the literal opposite of trying to "modernize" the character's early years, since those books were deliberately written and drawn like 60s comics.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

WickedHate posted:

Do any origin retellings sell well?

Green Arrow: Year One.

Simply because his origin was mostly an obscure piece of trivia. So no matter how many copies it sold, it was bound to be more than O.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Year Zero is selling tons on Batman.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Year Zero is selling tons on Batman.

Everything sells tons with Batman.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Spider-Woman: Origin sold ok.

24 101.27 SPIDER-WOMAN ORIGIN #1 (Of 5)* $2.99 MAR 63,953
35 70.03 SPIDER-WOMAN ORIGIN #2 (Of 5) $2.99 MAR 43,684
43 61.03 SPIDER-WOMAN ORIGIN #3 (Of 5) $2.99 MAR 40,553
55 56.97 SPIDER-WOMAN ORIGIN #4 (Of 5) $2.99 MAR 39,768
52 52.96 SPIDER-WOMAN ORIGIN #5 (Of 5) $2.99 MAR 38,602

I think it depends on the origin story, really. Again, Spider-Woman had a bit of a confusing origin involving a few retcons, so the appeal of this series was to just set it out. Like people have said, we don't need a retelling of Spider-Man's origin. We already have the definitive one.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zore posted:

I still don't get how being married equals being middle-aged.

Or having a stable job and kid for that matter. Those are things that people in their twenties and thirties have, and Peter hasn't been in High School for almost fifty years. Hell he hasn't really been in college for thirty.

I wasn't talking about the marriage part, really. But yes, being married and having a kid are generally seen as milestones in life that age you. I would love to read stories about Spider-Man that include him having a wife and kids, and in fact that's why I liked the old Spider-Girl series. But they aren't really things that are conducive to a mainline continuity designed to last for decades and remain amenable to whatever innovations and changes to the character's status quo the editors want. Whichever editor said Spider-Man is about youth wasn't really wrong. And marriage and children aren't a part of youth. They're things that are supposed to signify that you've basically figured your life out, more or less, and that's kind of anathema to the spirit of the character.

Maybe this is just a problem with wanting characters to last indefinitely. But the way I see it, you either concede that Peter is never going to fully grow up or you set a permanent end date for the character, wrap up his story for good, and introduce a new character to fully and completely take on the mantle for the foreseeable future. But I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
How was Spider-Man Season One?

The Thor one was pretty good. Better than actual Journey Into Mystery Thor anyway.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Giant-Size Spider-Man is horrendous and I recommend it as a curiosity piece. Sixty-something pages of bad art, bad writing, and tired, retread storytelling. Who asked for this?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I wasn't talking about the marriage part, really. But yes, being married and having a kid are generally seen as milestones in life that age you. I would love to read stories about Spider-Man that include him having a wife and kids, and in fact that's why I liked the old Spider-Girl series. But they aren't really things that are conducive to a mainline continuity designed to last for decades and remain amenable to whatever innovations and changes to the character's status quo the editors want. Whichever editor said Spider-Man is about youth wasn't really wrong. And marriage and children aren't a part of youth. They're things that are supposed to signify that you've basically figured your life out, more or less, and that's kind of anathema to the spirit of the character.

Maybe this is just a problem with wanting characters to last indefinitely. But the way I see it, you either concede that Peter is never going to fully grow up or you set a permanent end date for the character, wrap up his story for good, and introduce a new character to fully and completely take on the mantle for the foreseeable future. But I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Eh it worked for over 20 years.

I also don't think it "went against the character" or whatever, the character has bascally two things on the checklist.

1. Power and responsibility.

2. heaps of guilt.

Have those and you are fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Outside of the Lee run, most of the best and most memorable Spider-man stories were written while he was married or engaged to MJ. Death of Jean Dewolff, Kraven's Last Hunt, Harry's death, the list goes on. The only problem existed in some old editors' minds.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Outside of the Lee run, most of the best and most memorable Spider-man stories were written while he was married or engaged to MJ. Death of Jean Dewolff, Kraven's Last Hunt, Harry's death, the list goes on. The only problem existed in some old editors' minds.

Huh, I didn't think Jean Dewolff fell into that category.

Yeah and it was nice to have a (main) comic character who was married. If was someonewhat different than normal.

I mean now there is the Fantastic Four but their relationship is so dysfunctional I kind of hate them both.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 30, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We ordered equal copies of LTC #1 as we did ASM #1 because of a massive incentive from Diamond and Marvel because they knew nobody would buy that poo poo otherwise. I sold out of ASM in 3 days. And 30 additional copies over the next week. We've sold TWO copies of LTC #1. Sadly due to the incentive we can't cut our order on #2 but with #3 we're down to 5 copies for the whole store. Not a single preorder on it.

gently caress that comic.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it worked for over 20 years.

I also don't think it "went against the character" or whatever, the character has bascally two things on the checklist.

1. Power and responsibility.

2. heaps of guilt.

Have those and you are fine.

There's also an "up-and-comer making his way in the world today" angle that Benedick Cuckold is identifying as being "youth", but I don't think it's about youth. You don't have to be a teen in highschool to deal with that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lurdiak posted:

Master Planner, Tablet of Time, Death of Gwen Stacy, Death of Captain Stacy, Juggernaut's rampage, and all the best Norman Osborn stories were pre-marriage.

Edit: And the Hobgoblin stuff, too.

Red fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 30, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
It's nice having the real Superior Foes back now instead of the two fill-ins.

Also, New Warriors was great and finally basically what I wanted out of this series. Shame the sales are really bad because it finally seems like it's hit its stride. Much as I think To's a fine capes artist, Roche's bright and cartoony art works way better for the series so it's kind of a shame he's only doing issues 5 and 6.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Modern burn-out Cyclops is great so I'm gonna say I support this. Just pull a reverse OMD and get a young thirties married with a kid Spider-man barely supporting his family. Or hell, MJ is a supermodel so maybe Peter's job doesn't even matter that much.

I would buy Spider-Dad so hard. How can Peter make it to his daughter's recital and stop the Shocker from robbing a nearby bank at the same time?!

Okay so it would just be a bad 80s sitcom with superhero fights, but isn't that Spidey in a nutshell?

Also if you want to enjoy recent Spider-Man, just buy books where he appears but is not the protagonist. He somehow becomes like 1000% better when not in his own book. I wonder why that is.

(You could also try reading Marvel Adventures over again and pretending it's new, that works sometimes. Spidey-fans saddest fans :negative: )

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Yinlock posted:

I would buy Spider-Dad so hard. How can Peter make it to his daughter's recital and stop the Shocker from robbing a nearby bank at the same time?!

This is literally Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

d00gZ posted:

This is literally Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl.

Not really. Peter's retired and missing most of a leg in that. And he has a creepy goatee.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
How about:

Full-bearded peter, who's divorced from MJ with a daughter he sees every other weekend. Has to do fatherly things, stop bad guys, still has a poo poo job and currently trying to get back on the dating scene??

Basically "The Amazingly Dead-Beat Spider-Dad"!

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
That sounds like Louie with webshooters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

d00gZ posted:

I would pre-order the hell out of this.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

d00gZ posted:

That's a pitch I can get behind. Also kinda makes me wonder what a Louis C.K. written comic would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Gerard Way is writing one of the Spider-Verse tie-in prequel books.

• Locked thread