Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The problem I'm having with Spider-Verse is that I really want it to be an animated special along the lines of Turtles Forever, and it won't be.

Also, I hate this thread title because it is depressingly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

How is this Anna Maria thing not creepy as hell? How did it hit paper without somebody saying to Slott that goofy romance drama with a lady who used to bang the dude who stole your body is opening a big old can of worms?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. You know where his run went awry? When JR Jr left. That's when poo poo went off the rails.

Yeah, I'm prepared to agree with that. I'd not been paying attention to the comics for years, thanks to Howard Mackie, and JMS's Spider-Man got me back in. I don't even mind Ezekiel and Morlun that much.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Plus, the original Secret Wars was one of the first comics I ever read and he tells every hero in the room about his Spider-Sense at least twice that I can think of. It is not a secret.

Of course, he couldn't be expected to read the entire Spider-Man canon in however long he had to prep for the book, but you'd think there's at least one editor who's as nerdy as I am.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

As long as it's Cable & X-Force Hopeless and not Avengers Arena Hopeless, I'd be down for checking out an issue or two of his Spider-Woman.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

I remember Marvel being so cautious about introducing Miles, like "our readers are diverse, so our characters should be too", "Miles is not a stereotype" and then we finally get an Asian Spider-character and she's all ninja mask and ninja rear end.

I was not aware she was meant to be Asian.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's also not unheard-of for it to show up as a Caucasian person's surname, so who even knows. Do we have word from Slott on this?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Man, is that Spider-Bitch from "Old Man Logan" in the back there? I'm not sure about that.

Soonmot posted:

You don't notice it at first until about halfway through when Ramos goes and gives WWII era chingchong slant eyes. Asian, ninja and named SILK! :haw:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Cindy being (I presume) Korean, especially if she pulls the usual Slott dodge and eventually ends up in the hands of a much better writer. I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to figure out a relatively subtle racial characteristic when it's drawn by somebody like Ramos.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

This is starting to remind me of that Emma Frost book from the early 2000s which might have been a good way to draw in female readers if not for those Greg Horn covers that had nothing to do with the stories inside.

Hopeless is batting about .500 at Marvel if you count Arena and Undercover as one massive misfire of a book, but I can only assume that Greg Land is a draw for some massive, unspoken majority of the audience.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So the Spider-Men that Ock found dead were from "What If Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four," House of M, and some alternate reality where the Civil War was still going, but what was the one in the gray and black suit from? It looks familiar but I can't quite place it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you think closely enough about just about any organic item that we wear or use on the planet, it gets pretty gross. You're typing on processed dinosaur corpses right now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Goon posted:

Spider-Gwen, She-Thor, Falcap, Ter'rist Cyclops, rear end in a top hat Tony, Illuminati on the run....more and more I'm thinking Marvel is throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks before doing a full-on 616 reboot.

That was kind of nonsense when you brought it up in the Avengers thread and it's still nonsense here, man.

Dacap posted:

I'd rather they reboot Ultimate completely but maybe have Miles carry over from the old universe. I think outside of USM that universe has too many broken toys to succeed.

Really, does Miles need the rest of the Ultimate universe? It'd be fine if you just had him running around in his own book and that was the full extent of the line, much in the same way that Mayday Parker outlasted the rest of MC2.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Goon posted:

They apparently just announced the cancellation of Fantastic Four as well. I'm saying that they're making a helluva lot of major changes to their major characters all at the same time, and it points to something going on because there is no way that any of this is permanent. Is it nonsense to point it out?

I've been thinking about this since you brought it up in the other thread, actually, and it really is not as spectacular as you're making it out to be. Marvel has consistently been pretty crazy about the illusion of change, and the current shakeups do not represent a particularly remarkable amount of them at once.

Let's take Spider-Man as an example, since we're in the Spider-Man thread at the moment, and trace him back through the years as an exercise. I'm going to look at the issue lists on Spiderfan.org just to be on the safe side.

October 2014: Spider-Man is Peter Parker, founder and CEO of "Parker Industries."
October 2009: Spider-Man is Peter Parker, single, perpetually broke, freelance photographer, rooming with Michelle Gonzales, and a member of "Bucky Cap's" outlaw New Avengers. Aunt May and Jonah Senior just got married. We're into post-OMD so the secret identity is back in the bag.
October 2004: Part 2 of "Sins Past." Peter is still married to Mary Jane, teaching high school chemistry at Midtown High, and dealing with the Stacy-Osborn twins. Aunt May isn't in this but she knows about Peter being Spider-Man and is supportive.
October 1999: Peter and Mary Jane are married; Jill Stacy hangs out with MJ a lot; Peter is working part-time at "Tri-Corp." Howard Mackie/John Byrne/basically unreadable.
October 1994: Early Clone Saga, motherfuckers. The disease is already inside of you.
October 1989: Peter and MJ are married; MJ is trying to quit smoking; we're into the period of time when Michelinie could not stop loving talking about Venom every month. MJ is making a go of it as a model at this point and I believe Peter was trying to finish grad school.
October 1984: It's the DeFalco/Frenz period. This is the issue where MJ tells Peter she knows he's Spider-Man. Peter is a freelance photographer, he's in the black suit and Puma's in this issue kicking the Christ out of him.

This example dodges a bullet by inexplicably avoiding the entire period in which Ben is wearing the suit, which I could've sworn lasted longer than this, but this thirty-year span of time involves one marriage, one not-divorce, a costume change, five or six separate career changes, Aunt May dying once before coming back, Aunt May discovering Peter's secret identity, Peter joining the Avengers, Peter unmasking on national television, "One Moment in Time," a thick toxic vein of Venom running through the whole mess, MJ's pregnancy, Ben Reilly wearing the suit for a couple of years, and Spidey as a member of the Future Foundation.

The only remarkable thing about the degree of change at Marvel right now is how much of it involves new people taking up old masks, and even that was a pretty big thing in the '80s and '90s. If you were to sit down like this and chart the progression of all of Marvel's characters through the years, this would not seem particularly unusual.

Of course, if Marvel decides tomorrow that they're building up to a hard reset that will debut in 2016 or something, then I'm an idiot, you're right, and I'm sorry. That said, with what we know now and how the books are shaking down, this is not particularly unusual in the greater scheme of things.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 6, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Chortles posted:

So Miles gets his own book and just regularly guest-stars the Ultimate Universe survivors?

Yeah, why not? Keep Bombshell and Jessica as part of the supporting cast alongside his dad, Kate and Ganke and just have the adventures of Miles in the Ultimate universe every month.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that bummed me out a little bit.

It did make me think of Geoff Johns.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Frankly, the stuff the Cabal has done is worse than anything Morlun has done. Like he's seriously amateur hour compared to what the Cabal has been doing.

It's not really an apt comparison. New Avengers is deliberately bleak and horrifying, and while a specific issue might be more or less difficult to read because of that, particularly the last one, you knew what you were in for when you picked it up.

With this "Amazing Friends" thing, it comes halfway through an issue that is otherwise devoted to a pretty light and fun team-up with Kamala Khan, of all characters, and there's a very '90s reveling in how twisted an idea it is. Nobody's expecting a story arc like this one to be all sweetness and light, but this issue in particular feels mean-spirited.

I don't blame Slott for having an adversarial relationship with his fans--he does, after all, write comic books--but going on Twitter and waving his dick in the air over this is just as tone-deaf as the story itself. There are reasons to be annoyed with this besides your childhood taking a hit.

Also, you could do better for a name for an alternate-universe Spider-Man who's joined the Captain Britain Corps than "Spider-UK," even if he was something like "Codename: Spider" or the Westchester Webweaver or something. Spider-UK just doesn't sound like somebody's name.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Spider-Gwen has her band to go back to. That's not nothing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was just kind of bummed about it--it wasn't really something I needed to read that day--and then I found out about Slott shaking his rear end on Twitter about it and it pushed me over into actively annoyed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

JoylessJester posted:

Uh... why did Spider-Uk call everyone mum?

I've seen a fair few British works where people will refer to the Queen as "mum," so maybe it's because he's talking to Roma and Saturyne.

Also, funny story: Claremont apparently killed off Roma in the Die By the Sword miniseries, so Slott the Continuity Cop missed something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Castomira posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you're arguing that this fact in particular makes the story stupid, as if it would be better if he were Norman Osborn with the Infinity Gauntlet, or something.

All I can think of now is an entire universe where absolutely everyone has Osborn Hair.

Truly the darkest timeline.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It wouldn't surprise me if, in-universe, Kate had a design credit on that outfit or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So, stupid question: I just happened across someone saying that the old Exiles version of Spider-Woman--Mary Jane with short hair who dated Sunfire for a little while--was killed in Spider-Verse #1.

I'm looking right at that comic and don't see it happening, but a couple of different blogs and the Marvel Wikia are both saying otherwise. Anyone know where it is?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I looked at Silk entirely because of Slott's reverse Midas touch and wasn't disappointed. As usual, the moment anything leaves his hands it turns, if not to gold, better.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Seriously, you guys are bending over backwards to poo poo on Slott. The point has never been that he's a good writer, rather that his run has produced good ideas for Spider-Man.

There are a couple, yeah, but there aren't any that weren't more satisfyingly executed by other people. I would genuinely like to see Gage or Wells or Gerry Conway give a serious whack at Peter as a struggling industrialist, but Slott seems to view it as an obnoxious distraction.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Today's Spider-Woman was a fun book, but at least 90% of it is down to Javier Rodriguez's art. Dude was putting on a show.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Huh. That reminds me of that JLA Classified arc Slott did years ago, about the guy who had a huge number of alternate selves that he used to pursue every possible opportunity, and how he chumped the JLA.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I liked Spider-Woman. The idea of a little uptown hamlet that's dedicated to "supervillainy widows" is kind of clever, and Jess's reaction was nice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I wouldn't object to an arc or two where Peter takes advantage of an extra Spider-Man in town to get his life together, complete with him nagging Miles to do more stuff out of his neurotic sense of personal responsibility.

I actually like to see Peter as a functional adult with really bad luck, as opposed to the human dumpster fire he tends to become under some writers (Slott, DeFalco, sometimes David).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Slott just really hates Peter Parker being Peter Parker, I guess.

Yeah, that seems to go to the heart of it.

There's nothing wrong with the idea, and I like that they aren't just tearing Parker Industries apart in a fireball so Peter has to go take freelance photos again, but... Slott.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Speaking of which, did New Warriors actually resolve the Hummingbird plotline or is that just in eternal limbo now?

That's probably off somewhere waiting for Yost to resolve it, unless they handle it in Spider-Verse.

I'd be fine with it if they treated Secret Wars as its resolution, though.

"She's going to end the world!"
"The world ended and she had gently caress-all to do with it!"
"...I would like to revise my earlier report in the face of new data!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If they'd bite the bullet and get Yost or Gage or Bunn to ride shotgun on Slott so you got his ideas and the occasional joke filtered through somebody who had better execution, I'd be a lot happier.

As it is, Slott's track record says it'll be amazing in the hands of everyone besides him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

His relationship with Betty didn't last very long, but she's generally considered to be his first love interest.

Peter had his first serious romantic relationship with Gwen, though, so I could go either way on that if I was being pedantic. I'd still say the radio show pulled a dick move on a guy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I could actually cope with a few issues of MJ having powers or a stolen suit of power armor or something. She's one of the last civilian significant others in comics, and it'd be fun to see straight-up 616 MJ as a superhero for a bit, Spider-Island notwithstanding.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I wonder if it'll be Teenage Reporter Mary Jane from the Ultimate universe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The fact of the matter is that Peter Parker in the 616 hasn't been the "everyman hero" for a while now, and there have been a lot of contortions to attempt to keep him in that role for a while that haven't entirely been successful. He's been an Avenger for more than a decade, and one of the biggest plot holes in the canon for decades has been that Peter could've been a millionaire whenever he wanted by patenting the web fluid. You might as well take the internationally-known, A-list super-hero and have him apply his convictions to benevolent multi-national capitalism for a while, since that's at least a fresh direction.

If you really need a ground-level, every-man superhero with webs, there's the flashback Spidey book, or you could switch over to Bendis's book with Miles. I'd be more excited to see where this plot's going if it wasn't Slott, but it's a pretty fresh take. More importantly, it almost seems to preclude a reset button.

I saw a guy's blog earlier where he was salty about Peter learning to speak conversational Mandarin with a few lessons in his spare time, and I thought that was a relatively facile complaint until I read this one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

He learns Mandrin in a few lessons, that is really stupid.

He's a renowned international genius and he had eight months. I figure that's probably enough to carry on a conversation, although it would've been smarter if he had an awful accent or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

trashbuilder posted:

Actual real question and not meant as a Dan Slott knock (even if it is):

For a long time spidey was built on the theme of "with great power comes great responsibility" and the limits and sacrifices that come with that and how Peter grows learning and sacrificing. That honestly has not been a theme for a while, pretty much since slott started (maybe JMS) what would you think the theme of the book is now? Don't answer "Being garbage"

I'm not sure that Slott is consistent enough for there to be a single theme you can point at in his work, although there does seem to be a thread running through much of it of people abandoning old behaviors in order to move forward. Carlie had to arrest her dad, Otto had to let Peter take the wheel to save the day, and Peter started the "One More Day" continuity as an arrested-development man-child but has spent most of the intervening stories flailing around with snap decisions and toxic behaviors in an ongoing attempt to figure out how to be an adult.

Thinking about it, a good example is how he dealt with Anna-Maria and the Avengers after getting his body back. Instead of an increasingly shaky series of intricate deceptions or ignoring the problem until it blew up in his face, he just came clean all at once, as quickly as he could. Compared to his problems at Horizon Labs, it was a bit of a step forward for him, although it's still a jarring series of plot beats when compared to the more mature, experienced Peter of the JMS era.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Also I don't know if Slott is trying to write Peter as being some sort of nice noble boss who gives second chances or if it's just clumsy writing, but finding out someone in your company has been actively sabotaging your company, undermining your decisions, and possibly working with supervillains to make attempts on your life is grounds for termination, not a stern talking-to.

I have no idea if it's what Slott means to do or not, but I could see Peter being aware enough of his medium to reason that if he fires her, she'll bomb around other companies for a minute before landing in HYDRA or the Secret Empire, and will then show up six months later in a weird metal suit swearing vengeance on him for an imagined or disproportionate slight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had given up entirely on Spider-Man comics due to the post-Clone Saga doldrums, and only started reading Marvel again because I happened across a TPB of the first few issues of JMS's run. I really enjoy the self-aware, experienced Peter Parker he wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

Literally the first scene of the book is Jessica watching Porcupine fight some super villains while she's in the distance watching through binoculars and bemoaning the fact that she no longer fights crime because she's pregnant.

And one of the scenes after that is her pulling up her shirt to reveal she's wearing some kind of baby-shield alien armor she got from Carol, which I thought was kind of weird but cool.

• Locked thread