Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

^burtle posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys were furious Ock was driving, now everyone is cranky Peter is back.

I think the core issue is less "people disliked Spock" and more "god drat, it's still Dan Slott."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the best time to be a Spider-Man fan recently was when Venom was pretty good and Scarlet Spider was running. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JMS did a lot of stupid stuff but he also did a lot of really good stuff. It was never going to last but "Peter becomes a teacher" is by far and away the most appealing 'job' Peter has ever had as a character, I think, if not from a logical perspective than just a "this makes sense for where the character will end up" perspective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Nah I'm mocking the fact that JMS got in a strop because he obviously forget her arm was broken and did his usual whining when people called him out on it so had to include that scene in the book. At least Slott keeps his complaining to twitter.

Who wrote the issue of Spider-Man where the last scene was a reveal of Mary-Jane surrounded by references to Mephisto's deal saying "it's magic, you don't have to explain it?" Because that was infinitely worse than the JMS thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

If you want to read some great Spidey comixology is selling Scarlet Spider for .99

The complete series?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll just point out Sarah Palin's post-political career.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Again removing Spider-Gwen from the universe they've established completely removes 99% of the characters point and the interesting aspect of her. It's just the same as moving Miles to 616.

Yeah, this is my feeling. If they really do this what the gently caress is the point? Her writing was basically 90% "pretty average Spider-Man" and the most interesting stuff involved her friends/family.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Slott: Here's an event where an evil Spider-Vampire is going to go between Spider Universes until he gets to 616, killing and devouring people to gain powers/strength. This is clearly the beginning of the story where things will change and have "shocking reveals" which will be undone as the series goes.

Audience: Fine but you better include every single universe I want.

Slott: Fine, I've even included the Spider-Man and the Amazing Friends universe.

Audience: Well you could kill every Spider-Man except that one :argh:

The evil Spider Vampire going between universes to murder alternate variations people liked is a stupid idea and using it specifically in this fashion just underlines it.

I really doubt everything will be undone when most of it involves alternate universes who they can break without worrying about having to put back together. Anything 616 related maybe, sure.

I mean this is quite literally a DC Comics idea, and I don't mean that in a favorable way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

It's as bout as dumb as anything else in comics really. It's not as if anybody was going :argh: Hickman the incursions/cabal/whatever killed off the one universe I cared about :argh: And it's Slott which means you know there's a reset button where Peter saves everybody at the end.

It really isn't. "Hey guys, what if a villain went through and killed a bunch of recognizable alternate universes" is dumb because it is intentionally playing off of audience favor to generate anger that a less-recognizable setting wouldn't. It is, as I said, a DC comics style idea.

Even if it is undone (which I doubt because they have the convenient alternate universe toybox explanation) they're still using brutal murder of lighthearted characters for no reason but shock value.

Waterhaul posted:

His picture is always different Spider-Man characters and the user name is a dumb Halloween username that everybody does on Twitter.

Do you really think the combination of this issue and those choices was 100% a coincidence?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, Hickman is doing the same thing. Though the universes aren't that recognizable, I guess.

Then it's dumb there too. I haven't been following Avengers because I haven't really been enjoying Hickman's run very much. However Hickman is also a better writer than Slott so I'm guessing it was less gleeful fanboy baiting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

This has been the only one where they've been killed though, most have escaped/teamed up/whatever.

What about the weird Spider Power Armor universe?

Waterhaul posted:

It's no different from New Avengers at the moment which has also killed/destroyed established characters like Squadron Supreme in defense of a big multiverse threat. It's a Marvel thing.

Specifically killing off one of the more lighthearted and silly universes doesn't really feel like a Marvel thing to me, no. It feels very much like "hey, remember the time Wendy and Marvel were murdered by Wonder Dog?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I'd forgotten about the Spider Armor one, which again people didn't care about because it wasn't faux outrage.

Why would you assume it is faux outrage? It's really insulting you to to go "no, see, you're not actually having feelings, you're just looking to be angry!"

Waterhaul posted:

Fun, young and more hip Ultimate Peter Parker was brutally murdered in front of his family while his nemesis laughed/won.

You're really stretching with that point. Ultimate Spider-Man was 'hip' but it wasn't a specifically lighthearted and silly universe. it was frequently grim, or dark, and one where death was (supposed to) have more serious consequences.

The sequence we're discussing literally has Morlun talking about how this world is kinder and gentler than most and doesn't have words to describe the atrocities done to it and ends with the brutally slaughtered bodies of children's cartoon characters being whined over by their pet dog. (And "children's cartoon" is again emphasized by Morlun's dialogue.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Because nobody cares about Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which had like 20 or so episodes over 30 years ago. It's just more :argh: Dan Slott :argh: as if anybody expected any different this many years into his run.

I grew up watching reruns of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. So did a lot of comic book fans. There are constant references to it in a number of comics, including Ultimate Spider-Man. (It's arguably the only reason Liz Allen ended up as Firestar) Your argument of "nobody cares about it" is not only false, it's really easy to prove false when comic writers and comic fans alike make references to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Again it's just a dumb Halloween thing. Jeff Parker's name is currently Jeff Slenderman, PI. It doesn't mean he thinks he's Slenderman. And he changes his twitter picture to whatever Spider-Man thing he's currently doing.

And a character said the show was just a dumb old cartoon, so what . Morlun is not the guy whose opinions you're supposed to be agreeing with.

Again, are you seriously wholeheartedly arguing that he chose that particular picture (especially in conjunction with that particular name) with no forethought or care at all and it's a complete coincidence?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I think that Slott goes to the Stan Lee school of working people up in a frenzy in his books so they keep reading (which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right) but I don't think he sat there and changed his username and picture while laughing going "hahahaha that'll show people who liked an old cartoon" while twirling a mustache like he's being painted.

I don't think he sat there twirling his mustache, no, but I'm pretty sure he did it intentionally to rile people up and troll them and chose his name with foreknowledge that he could combine the two. I don't think he did it to 'keep people reading' but because he enjoys the reaction he gets and seeks to provoke more of it. Which is a difference from Hickman straight-up regardless of anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

My point was people will still be reading and complaining about Slotts stuff as they did through Big Time, Ends of the Earth, Superior and so on. Or just "not read it" and jump on the recent ~controversial point~ to complain.

And I'm not defending Slott i'm saying people are getting worked up over nothing.

I haven't been keeping up with Slott's stuff actually. I read this issue because of Ms Marvel. v:shobon:v

I don't buy comics I don't think I'm going to like and I'm certainly not looking for things to complain about or else I'd be reading a lot more DC comics. I just think it was a dumb and rather mean-spirited joke.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

People hating on Dan Slott, I completely understand as his current ASM stuff is loving awful and his attitude on Twitter is worse...but I have one question. How did you feel about the Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions game because Slott wrote that.

It was pretty bad but it was a video game story that was a thin excuse to have four different playable spider-men fighting a bunch of villains.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Slott using them is actually one of the few things keeping the character around. At least being included in Spider-Verse means the character doesn't get shunted off to obscurity or included in the various worlds that are incursioned out of existence. Plus giving her a baby to look after means that they have intentions of the character not dying.

I'm not a Spider-Girl fan but "a character keeps getting written in dark, depressing or bad stories" isn't inherently better than them fading away, especially when they have their own universe. The inability for comic book authors to let a story go rarely works out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Spider-Girl herself has not been written as dark or depressing and the outcome of Spider-Verse won't be either, bad is subjective. I agree though that the complaints from DeFalco is an example of an authors inability to let go.

"Her father was murdered by a dimension-travelling vampire" is dark and depressing.

You know what I was saying with my other comment too. I get you don't like Spider-Girl but the "shut up, unhappy fans, you shouldn't have liked the thing you liked anyway" stuff is pretty silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

That's a story, not the character themselves being dark and depressing. And again none of Slotts events or stories so far have actually ended on a downer.

A story and character are innately intertwined.

Even if Slott pulls a magical retcon that undoes everything, it doesn't change the core of the story being the story of characters people like being murdered repeatedly. If anything it just kind of underlines how pointlessly crude it is because it's just scenes of violence without consequence because "check it out, Spider-Man (x) died, but it's okay he'll be back at the end!"

Like I said, I don't care about Spider-Girl but that doesn't make it any less depressing for her fans for her to be brought back for a story like this, even if they end it with a happy reset ending. (and while I agree Slott will do a positive ending, that doesn't necessarily mean a reset ending.)

Waterhaul posted:

And I never said shut up unhappy fans. I said I understood how people have emotional connections to first stories/old stories they read but nostalgia clouds a lot of the outrage over the Spider-Girl stuff and if you're talking quality it's not as if it's miles beyond what Slott is doing.

What if they disagree with you on the quality? I have a friend who is a big comic fan and loves Spider-Girl not because of nostalgia (he got into it fairly late) but because he liked the universe and characters. I don't think much of Spider-Girl myself but there are people who do and I think it's unfair to say they're all just nostalgia addicts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 11, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Castomira posted:

Rereading the comic, I just realized that Daemos clubbed the Pete from Reign to death with Mary Jane's tombstone.

I'm starting to approve of Daemos.

That is pretty goofy but on the other hand it is pretty much exactly what Spider-Man: Reign would do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morlun was a fine villain for his first appearance. He was kind of Doomsday-y in that he was there to fill a specific role but whatever, dude worked for the story and died at the end. Every story since then has just been kind of eyerolling.

Just like Doomsday!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is completely them doing their take on Batgirl, but it means getting rid of Spider-Woman's awful current costume so that is just fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Spider-Girl dies on every page.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think that is the core problem with Spider-verse.

The people happy to see these characters want to see them be cool and do fun things. That is what a crossover tends to be about. If you're bringing in obscure Spider-characters just to have them job or die, nobody is going to care except the people who like those characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Octopus is a more fitting villain for Peter than Green Goblin is.

He represents an alternate path for Peter. A smart bullied nerd who gets superpowers in an accident and decides to exploit them for self-gain. His powerset is interesting in that it compliments Peter's own for dynamic and interesting fight scenes and also has minor thematic parallels to spiders. (Mostly the multiple arms.)

Green Goblin is Peter's biggest villain because he is one of Peter's friend's dad and killed his girlfriend. Beyond that they don't really have a lot of thematic intertwine and (as shown by the multitude of 'guys with gliders' enemies) he isn't very unique or distinctive nor do his powers really mesh well with Peter's.

But Green Goblin killed Gwen so he's always going to get top billing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish the one-shots were Morlun losing for silly reasons.

Morlun can't kill Twinkie Spider-Man because every time he tries he's distracted by the twinkies, or the twinkies somehow manage to sate his hunger but only in that world or whatever. That would be funnier than the punchline being murder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I would read an ongoing series of the Anarchic Spider-man if it was all done in that art style. You done good!

Yeah, I really liked the artwork in particular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Nope. Being the one time fruit pies didn't distract a villain because he'd rather consume the hero is just fine on its own. Slott knows his Hostess ads. Dude brought the Ding-A-Ling family into the 616.

It's not really. It's the expected result. The Newspaper Spider-Man one is a good example because that one actually did subvert the expected result by making humorous use of the Spider-Man's setting. Slott knowing Hostess ads doesn't really mean jack in the context of "it would be funnier if the punchline wasn't murder."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never actually thought I'd say these words but I'm gonna be awful pissed if Kaine dies in a lovely crossover ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

This one has been explained in the series.

The Anne Rice Fanclub have a prophecy that eventually the Spider-Totems are going to unite and rise up and permanently kill all of them....some 1,000 in the future.
They have found a loop hole which is that if they can combine the blood of the Scion, the Bride and the Other into a ritual they can stop any more Totems from coming into being naturally. Ergo there will be no totems 1,000 years in the future to kill them.

On the flip side, the smartest of the Inheritors (Jennix) has decided that to get around the problem of starving to death, he has been experimenting with a method of cloning Spider-men that would still allow them to have a Totemic Essence that they could eat. (As he says, Farming of animals is what makes men Civilized.)

It would be funny if the end prophecy was that the Inheritors triumphed, wiped out the Spider's but ended up dying a slow painful death over 1,000 years due to the corrupting influence of their fake synthetic totem meals. However that's pretty dark, so i think a better ending is for Peter and the gang to raise an army of Spider-people and to take down the Inheritors that way.

Wait, did they forget they can eat other kinds of totems? Like the very first Morlun story is just him looking for animal totems, not Spiders in specific.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Other totems aren't the ones prophesied to kill them.

Yes, but that doesn't explain why they would need synthetic Spider totems when they can just go eat more Captain Condors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The most popular and well known version of the character died on screen last summer so its not like anyone is clamoring for her to really return.

That's been pretty widely acknowledged as a mistake though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Literally? C'mon..

I actually love the MJ/Peter marriage. She's the happy ending that Peter deserves. I just worry that the character isn't going to have the same appeal to kids if Spidey has kids of his own. I'm getting old, I don't think I need to take him with me.

The idea that kids just can't enjoy an older married character seems to exist entirely in the mind of comic book writers who are terrified of getting old. Boy, kids sure hated Mr. Incredible didn't they?

I can understand the argument of "Peter needs to be a teenager" but that isn't what is going on with Peter these days. Peter isn't attending high school. He isn't having high school teenager problems that kids can relate to. It's still in his mid-to-late 20s and still leading with paying rent on his apartment/trying to find a job/ect/ect. Peter Parker is still an adult now.

OMD didn't reset Peter to a young teenage status quo. He was still an adult written with adult problems. It was just that he transformed from someone growing up into a manchild. If OMD had been a full-on reset back to high-school age Peter Parker I wouldn't have liked it but it at least would have made sense from a "we need to appeal to kids" mindset.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 25, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Dan Slott is an ongoing campaign to assure that every single Spider-Man spinoff is a more interesting character than Peter Parker.

Edit: Speaking of which, did New Warriors actually resolve the Hummingbird plotline or is that just in eternal limbo now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I will forever be bitter that we never get closure on the Ganke/Gwen Stacey romance.

I suspect Ganke at least will survive the transition since it'd be way too fuckin' grim to murder Spider-Man's best friend like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect Ultimate Jessica Drew will survive but she'll become a different Spider-themed character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I would love to see that happen, but it would still be Dan Slott writing it, so I don't give a gently caress if it's true or not. Gonna take more than that to get me to spend money on Spider-Man again.

Like everything Dan Slott related it would mean other authors would take it over after he was done though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be hella messy and please no one.so maybe

I'll just point out that DC is literally doing this exact thing with Clark and Lois so it's not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sad we didn't get more Scarlet Spider/Superior Spider crossover.

I'm also sad we didn't get more Scarlet Spider. I am not looking forward to Aracely's corpse showing up in a splash page in 2-3 years.

• Locked thread