Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think JMS did a lot of good things. Even the Spider-Totem stuff honestly wasn't that bad in the original story where rather than becoming a fully character-redefining thing it was a potential setup for other stories which explicitly didn't override the idea that Peter was gifted powers by radiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harry Osborn's plot was basically done. There isn't much else you can do with the guy. Either you bring him back to give him a happy ending (at which point he fucks off forever) or you bring him back and retread the same "oh no he is Peter's villain/Peter's best friend/Peter's best frienemy" plot again which, while not perfect, was kind of sealed and done.

I'm not surprised nobody has any real ideas for him. It isn't impossible to get a good story out of it (loving Kaine got a good story out of his bullshit revival) but you really need to have something thematically appropriate for it and it's pretty hard to do that with Harry without him getting eclipsed by his dad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Didn't they do both during Brand New Day?

He was resurrected as a coffee shop owner, his dad hosed with his relationship(s), he became American Son, and then he ran off with Normie and grew a beard. What has he done since then?

Last I recall he transformed into Walter White and I assume went off to cook meth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Creating new villains is a good thing. It should be encouraged. If it means an author is creating their 'own universe' for the character that isn't a bad thing. Creating new villains and new concepts is how characters evolve and change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't suppose there's any word on what is up with Kaine these days, huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasn't that a big mystery where it was implied to be Batman until we found out it was Slam Bradley (or Slam Bradley's son, I forget.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the next time we see Aracely she's probably going to either be a background character with no lines or killed off unceremoniously.

Yeah, I'm waiting for "Speedball goes crazy and murders the New Warriors just in time for Civil War: The FIlm" or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I should pick that book up sometime.

It's genuinely a good book. It honestly feels like an older-school Spider-Man book that just happens to have a slightly different protagonist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, the solicits for some of the later issues of Web Warriors keep mentioning 'casualties' of Electroverse (the current storyline) and Mayday is consistently not shown on covers. Gee, I wonder who's going to die next?

Also, they literally ask on the letters page for people to write in with the obscure Spider-Men they want to see killed off. Okay, it's for them to show up in later issues, but they do outright state that probably means they're going to die. That's really going to get people engaged, to see their favourite characters show up to die! :downs:

I like how they say 'it might be the only chance to see them in action again!' like them showing up as wallpaper or cannon fodder is somehow a good thing.

Wait seriously Web Warriors is continuing the stupid-rear end Spiderverse "kill all the random Spider-people" thing? I thought it was a goofy crossover book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Web Warriors is like a better Exiles. If they don't kill off and rotate cast then what is even the point?

Is there any particular reason they can't rotate the characters without killing them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair being Spider-Man means a police officer will probably try to shoot you at least once every other day regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. You'll also probably be accused of murder three times a month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Real talk I don't think Miles really has a distinguishable voice from Peter anyway except "younger and slightly less confident"

This is entirely the result of being created and primarily written by a guy who only has like three characters

I think Miles has a genuinely different voice but it's a similar voice. He tends to be more awkward and uncomfortable. Miles is living up to a hero while Spider-Man classic is Peter letting his inner rear end in a top hat roam free from behind the mask. That tends to frame them differently with Peter being if anything overconfident until he collapses in upon himself while Miles is more awkward by default. It stands out more to me when the two characters are onscreen together though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

Was Spider-Verse a good series?

No. It was a long boring story where ni-invincible and yet completely lacking in personality villains killed Spider-Men randomly until they are defeated. The best part of it was the Scarlet Spider series and just because Jessica, Kaine and Ben make a fun team.

Edit: A couple of the tie-ins like Spider-Punk were fun too actually but that's about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I felt like the whole series was pretty majorly squandering all of the alternate-universe Spider-Men, though. The 90s' cartoon did 'a bunch of Spider-Men team up' story so much better. Hell, Slott did it better with Shattered Dimensions. But Spider-Verse was massively bloated by Spider-Men who were basically wallpaper or canon fodder, except for those given either spinoffs or anointed as the Protagonists. Honestly, they should have pared the cast down to a more managable number instead of having dozens of webslingers that might as well have not been there at all for all they contributed to the overall story.

This is my feeling. The biggest flaw is that we got brief glimpses of really cool alternate universes and then they just get scrubbed by a boring vampire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

This is referenced in the book itself.

As for the re-entry scene, he is using a new type of Spider Armor in his also-armored space suit and then using his recently upgraded winning to slow his descent and shield his fall - he barely survives. It's fine.

Lampshading something doesn't mean you're not still doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

How so? The Marvel Universe is absolutely lousy with two-bit heroes and villains who manage to cobble together amazing gadgets that would make them unparalleled scientific geniuses in the real world. Is Stilt-Man one of the greatest scientific geniuses in the Marvel Universe now? No, he's just a smart guy with an aptitude for scientific engineering.

Peter didn't just cobble together amazing gadgets once. He did it on a regular basis near-constantly and was shown to be educated enough that high-end scientists like Connors or Octopus actually found him impressive and said he had amazing potential. He's often portrayed as being really smart and in a diverse number of ways. Like he isn't just good at tinkering he's capable of doing things like creating a cure for monsteritis with some notes or adapting his webbing formula for all sorts of things without any resources.

Cnut the Great posted:

I remember there was an old comic where Peter actually tried to market his web fluid to a science corporation to make some money off it, and they weren't interested, because it wasn't really terribly useful for any application beyond "being Spider-Man".

That's always been a bit of a joke because a company that can't figure out how to make use of an extremely strong adhesive that dissolves cleanly in an hour is really dumb. Like again, think about that:

It's an absurdly strong adhesive that can be easily contained in large amounts on things the size of a wrist shooter that also can be easily reloaded and is apparently cheap enough that Peter Parker can afford to make it (even if it is tight for him sometimes) despite being regularly broke. It is strong enough to contain literal supervillains, resists burning, and yet is apparently entirely nontoxic and dissolves cleanly. That is a dream thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 4, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Yes, and it always played off with Spider-Man confidently exclaiming, "Luckily, I'm a science major!" He could do those things because he was an exceptionally bright, exceptionally clever science nerd, not because he was some sort of super-mega-genius on a Top 10 list of world's smartest.

Peter was supposed to be exceptionally smart, not merely a science major. He was never supposed to be the smartest but frequently shown as being able to keep up. There is 'power bloat' there but that same power bloat extends to all the Top 10 smartest. Reed went from being merely incredibly smart to having the superpower of doing anything as long as he justifies it with intelligence. Tony went from a gifted guy to someone who... well, invents insane power sources in a cave from scraps. Hank Pym went from a science adventurer to a guy who can do basically anything the story asks but not as well as Reed can.

Cnut the Great posted:

It was the Silver Age, man. Even within that tonal context, it was always made clear that Peter was mostly just an average guy who happened to have a higher-than-average aptitude for science. He always had to go to someone like Curt Connors for help when he needed to do some genuine super-science, and it wasn't just because he was strapped for resources or just didn't have enough time to read the right books, it was because he was just plain out of his league, like a normal-rear end person would be.

Peter would go to smarter people for help in their areas of expertise but very often would end up puzzling out a solution on his own and even finding a way to execute it. He is very frequently portrayed as being Close To But Not Quite As Smart As a lot of intelligent people. However the aforementioned intelligent bloat extends to him too. If he's shown to be able to keep up with Curt Connors or Tony Stark or Otto Octavious then when they get their inevitable boost from "merely good" to "literally the best in the world" it influences how Peter is portrayed as well.

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, and yet the comics went out of their way to show that, in the Marvel Universe, it's still not that impressive in the grand scheme of things. Science is way easier in the MU than it is in the real world.

No it isn't. The Marvel Universe exists in a realm very very close to our own except for certain geniuses who intentionally suppress their tech unless it is part of a story. There wasn't an equivalent to Peter's webbing on the market that made it seem unimpressive.

Science is 'easier' in the Marvel Universe but it isn't portrayed as being easier. Every person who invents a power suit or a super gadget or whatever is supposed to be extremely talented and gifted, that is why they are so rare and few and far between. (That or they're someone like Forge whose superpower is creating poo poo.) The reason they don't patent their amazing invention tends to be a combination of egotism and shortsightedness, not because it wouldn't be meaningful.

It's easy to forget that even the lovely supervillains are at the high-end of the spectrum more often than not. Batroc the Leaper may be a joke but he's still probably one of the most physically capable people on the planet.

Cnut the Great posted:

Peter Parker is a relatively relatable every man who by sheer chance was granted amazing powers and ultimately decided to use them for good, not a once-in-a-generation intellectual prodigy of historic proportions who also got superpowers. It's like the core of the character. It's why it's so satisfying to see him outwit guys like Doc Ock who are, on paper, far more intellectually capable than he is, but much less able to think creatively in the moment.

Peter Parker isn't just a relatable every-man, he's a giant nerd, and part of the power fantasy there (justified or no) is that he is actually extremely smart but not respected for his smarts. A lot of Spider-Man is playing around with nerd fantasies (and also giving them to Peter while having his life get in the way.) As such he's extremely smart but undervalued and underappreciated and can't do much with it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archyduke posted:

There's some potentially interesting class stuff going on as well. Regardless of what it says on hypothetical RPG character sheets for Peter Parker, Tony Stark, and Reed Richards, you can't get around this-- Tony Stark's dad was also a billionaire inventor and for as long as Iron Man's been a character he's had the resources to goof around with extremely expensive equiptment. Peter Parker grew up in a household where he had to work to support his elderly caretakers, and IIRC even had to quit grad school out of a combination of money woes and family obligations (that somebody like Tony Stark could have whisked away by hiring Aunt May a fleet of nurses and housekeepers). When you're poor or struggling you can't drop everything to tinker on every stray web-shooter you dream up.

I don't know Reed Richards' backstory very well so I'm sort of curious about whether or not he's typically been portrayed more like Tony Stark-- somebody who had the material luxury to be able to experiment and pursue his whims at his leisure, or if he had more of a hard-luck background.

Richard and Mary Parker were secret agents (in some variations SHIELD agents.) In Ultimate he was a scientist who helped created the Venom thing as part of a cure for cancer. Both were shown as fairly well off.

Edit: Oh! I misread Reed as Peter for some reason. Reed generally was shown as fairly well-to-do as far as I recall. A quick wiki says his dad left him two billion dollars so...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

He's coming back in Dead No More. Because Dan Slott apparently decided he wanted to do his own Clone Saga.

Also apparently the Web Warriors are tying into that as well. Whih I suppose makes sense, because they desperately, desperately need a sales boost. They're at at <20k sales now, I think.

So, any bets on if Dan Slott remembers Aracely exists after the last time he did anything with her it was her getting beaten up offscreen by Morlin?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mary-Jane and Peter who are married will end up in Marvel. The current Peter will die but his spider-powers will be transferred to the current Mary-Jane while married Peter takes over as Spider-Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

One thing I used to like about Spider-Man was his concept not being diluted by so many other derivative characters or a "Spider-Family". So many Super people, Flashes, Green Lanterns, etc. Now it seems like every character has their own imitators or legacy characters.

So even if Slott was incredible I'm not looking forward to that storyline as I power through Amazing on Marvel Unlimited.

It's not really Slott's fault there. We've been bombarded with Spider-Families since Venom and the Clone Saga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yost's movie projects are all wrapping up, right? think we got a chance to complete the Spider-Family and get some Scarlet Spider action once the Clone Re-Saga ends?

I wish but probably not, it just didn't sell well enough. :smith:

I really just want some sort of resolution to Aracely, even if it's just Nova going "oh, hey, I just got off the phone with my friends the New Warriors who all retired to a farm in Iowa to plant tomatoes." It's depressing having the last time you see the character being wrecked by Morlun and then Kaine never even acknowledges it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please replace all versions of Spider-man with Newspaper Spider-Man, thank you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw, did SIlk get lovely? I've had awful medical bills so I can't keep up with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Flash is just weird in general because he has so many villains who have the same basic power, which is also the same power as the hero. He doesn't have one villain who you could truly call his worst but generally at any given time they tend to be whoever is the evil speedster du jour.

It'd be kind of like if Spider-Man really did have eight limbs and Dr. Octopus was a big bad guy for also having eight limbs. And then successive villains would supplant Dr. Octopus as the new big bad guy for having more and more limbs. Centipede! Millipede! Godspede!

The Flash has his entire Rogue's Gallery though? Most of whom don't have speed powers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Guess who came back" is actually genuinely hard because off the top of my head there's Gwen Stacy, Uncle Ben, Kaine, Ben Reilly, Dr. Octopus and, I don't know, Moe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's always really odd to me in a universe where souls are demonstrably proven to exist that digital mind clones don't cause more fuckups. it means either someone figured out how to digitize the soul or they are weird soulless bodies running around fueled entirely by false self or somehow souls are created out of nothing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just glanced at it after making the post. Hope we get a Kaine solo out of this? idk, i'm on Unlimited time.

Kaine is dying of plot cancer again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kaine back to dying (i guess? not following exactly), Ock has an out to come out of this alive and Peter no longer owning a company, other other toys Slott's been putting back to how they were? Some that still need to be put back in the last second like Bendis reviving Wasp at the end of his run?

Kaine has his degeneration again but I'm honestly not clear why the gently caress they'd bring him back just to kill him off again, it seems entirely pointless so I'm expecting some kind of out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's kind of weird his degeneration is back when Slott himself cured him of it back in Spider-Island before he ever got entangled with The Other. Unless he caught the Carrion virus or whatever, I've not been paying much attention.

The explanation is that Kaine's death in Spiderverse killed the Other but not Kaine himself and for some reason that brought back the degeneration. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

I just really hope they don't kill him off again. He's a really good Scarlet Spider. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keeping your secret identity from friends is dumb and a source of forced-rear end drama. There is a reason that even heroes with secret identities have done away with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man is specifically the character who gets the most out of having a secret identity and doing away with that part of his character in an adaptation is just as silly as doing away with the whole uncle ben thing, imo.

He isn't doing away with the secret identity thing though? He has people who know his secret identity, it isn't the same thing.

I mean any modern Spider-Man is at least somewhat inspired by Ultimate and Ultimate had Peter's friends find out his identity relatively quickly too.

Like yeah, Peter's secret identity meaning he is untrusted/a menace/ect is a central part of the character. Peter refusing to tell his best friend/love interest/ect who he is is just Forced Drama.

Edit:

Look at this fundamental destruction of the concept of Spider-Man!!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

are people losing their minds over mj in the movie or are they cool with it

Some people are losing their mind but others are like "they never said she's MJ! She's not MJ!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Why's that weird?

Emma Stone is a natural redhead. Kirsten Dunst is a blond.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

A new Scarlet Spider series from Peter David and Mark Bagley is coming.

It spoils the fact that Kaine and Ben both survive Clone Conspiracy.

I'll give it a shot but I just kinda don't care about them replacing Kaine with what sounds like Kaine 2.0. I'm not really sure there's much demand for "we brought Ben Reily back but he's a completely different character now."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well it'd be kind of weird to just ignore everything Slott did to him even if I'm not a fan of it.

And... I'm not really sure how he's like Kaine. Kaine as Scarlet was brooding and more violent than Peter. This is Ben struggling with some real trauma that he's endured and being caught between identities.

Also Kaine is going to be an important character, so.

He is a clone of Peter Parker who was a supervillain and now is torn between his old messed-up ways and his attempts to live up to the heart of Peter Parker while taking on the name Scarlet Spider and on the run because of his past crimes. Kaine's own book was also about the trauma he endured and his struggle between who he used to be and who he wants to be. Obviously it won't be an identical set of stories, it just seems odd in general.

Like I said, maybe I'll be surprised and pleased. (I was about Kaine's own book!) it just sounds like an odd reason to bring back a dead character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, I mean... everything you pointed out there is unavoidable due to the circumstances he was brought back with.

I mean. I doubt CC was conceived and pitched for the sake of this book.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything? I never said that CC was made for this book, just that it's gonna have to work to impress me and seems like a poor fit for Ben Reily fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, you were talking about this book when you talked about "reasons for bringing back a dead character" and that's the conclusion I drew from your words. I apologize.

I think we both we both misunderstood each other so all good.

Rhyno posted:

That suit is so bad. Mark must have forgotten that while Ben once wore a hoodie he never actually pulled the hood up.

To be fair you can do a good hoodie-spider. Spider Gwen's costume shows that off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am willing to give Scarlet Spider a shot but holy poo poo Ben is just not remotely an interesting character. Even his evil isn't interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He put the symbiote up for auction in Millar's run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man.

You mean Brock for that, right, not Flash?

• Locked thread