Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

I don't even know how to describe it. It's not quite a steam whistle and not quite the sound of a bomb dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqPv2SKYUE&t=32s

This?

The video might help answer Grump's question too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is that the new one with Kaine?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sweet! Thanks! :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Speaking of the change in Spider-Man between when Ditko was on the book, and when Romita took over, CBR talks about a Grant Morrison story that could have been. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/05/09/comic-book-legends-revealed-470/

Isn't Grant Morrison considered to be close to insane in all seriousness? It's either him or Frank Miller I heard that about... Because that entire quote just feels unhinged and weird.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A few days ago, I saw a book about Spider-Man hanging out at B&N for about $25. It was The World According to Spider-Man. I really like the writer who did it as it was funny and pretty detailed look into Spider-Man's world that some of the comics just don't get into (especially not any of the comics by Slott).

Does this writer have any actual Spidey titles he's done? Is the book canon and thus worth picking up? I mean I wouldn't be buying it for $25 because Amazon.com clearly has it for $18 but...yeah.

It has a lot of neat things like little fake Avengers IDs for Spidey, a report card for him, a letter from JJ...etc.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Finally caught up with Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man...still not sure if I like where they're going with this Peter Parker thing but I think he's still dead.

At least I hope.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest if psychics were real I would wrap my head in tin foil and scream bloody murder any time Emma Frost walked into a room. It's kinda hard to argue with the perspective that a person's mind should be inviolate.

Does tinfoil actually work like that in the Marvel Universe (or, hell, in ANY comic book universe)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

That comic was offensively bad...

At least she'll be dead in a year or less and no one will speak of her ever again.

Also, am I the only person who really doesn't like the art? It's got too many straight lines and angles and just is unpleasant for me to look at...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Not before someone suggests a costume revamp and Silk says her costume is "how she's able to express her true self"

Those will be her last words.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Slott is reason enough for some people to not get this bit I personally cannot loving stand Ramos. I find his art to be complete poo poo when drawing human beings.

FabioClone posted:

Wait, she was supposed to be Asian? I must have missed the name and I totally didn't get that from the art. Looking at it now, I guess I can see it, but man those faces are horrible. It's hard to tell ethnicity when everyone looks like they're rabid.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. They feel like dirty, quick sketches that they decided to add color to instead of actually finishing the sketch.

I just don't think he can draw people. Slott's writing was, for me, worse than usual. The line about him not dodging the slap because she was so fast...really?

Dacap posted:

Amadeus Cho wears the Iron Spider armor in the USM cartoon now

Not anymore. :v: Green Goblin destroyed the suit as of the most previous two episodes. He's just kind of...there now. I don't care what kind of BS speech Spider-Man gave him...he's 100% useless in battle and ended up having to run for his life many times.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

If everybody over at Marvel could maybe avoid screwing this up that would be delightful, because I'm now finding it really hard not to actually get excited.

I'm just scared. I just don't want to be hurt again, Spider-man.

Spider... Monkey? What? :stare:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What is this "Great Power" arc that the 100th Anniversary issue of ASM is talking about as 8 of 8?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tavarin posted:

All of the 100th anniversary issues are written as if they were published in the 2060s, so it's talking about the previous seven issues that never came out.

Oh.

That's...kind of annoying, actually.

Is it something I should skip?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Suben posted:

female is Spider-Bitch from Old Man Logan (ain't Mark Millar a charming fellow?)

I read this comic.

It felt like a comic I was not supposed to read.

I don't know how I feel about it. It felt gory just for the sake of it...kind of like Ultimate Marvel's Ultimatum. Oddly enough, I think the artist who did OML's art did Ultimatum's too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

David Finch did Ultimatum; OML was Steven McNiven, who did Civil War with Millar.

Ahhh, ok. I got confused a bit there. I've read Civil War too so I knew I knew the art from somewhere.

I like it a lot, really. Better than the stuff in current ASM...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It had little molded spiders on the knuckles. I hated that suit.

Oh my God what.

Really?

What issue was that in? That sounds like a bad cosplay.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Haha. It looks more like a quilt than Shocker's suit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You guys are making me want to marathon Spider-Man TAS...

I don't think I can read ASM anymore it's just not worth it. The art's meh at best, the writing is God-awful.

I remember reading Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and just being in love with Slott's work. Where did he go so wrong? What the gently caress happened? He turned into a manchild who can't take critics on Twitter and a bad author in comics.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I posted up a mini review of the Spider-Verse episodes over on the Comic Book Animation Thread. I don't know if I can post it here since this seems to be about the comics so..

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455166&pagenumber=103#post435025632

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh my God this is awesome. I started out with Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends so this is something new to me. I love how they apparently said Spider-Man couldn't hit anyone so he just ended up running away a lot and got tired. Also his spider-sense just kind of disappeared halfway through. Loved it.

People hating on Dan Slott, I completely understand as his current ASM stuff is loving awful and his attitude on Twitter is worse...but I have one question. How did you feel about the Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions game because Slott wrote that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So I finally got caught up with the Incursion thing that Hickman's doing. You know that morbid feeling of absolute dread you get when you see a character you give a poo poo about in a work of fiction get into a scenario that seems outright impossible to get out of and you just think "Welp. This is it."? Yeah, it feels like that all the way through, really.

Anyway, Spider-Verse feels like Dan Slott just kind of randomly overheard Hickman and the EIC talk about the event while roaming Marvel HQ and he decided he'd get in on it too but ONLY with Spider-Man but he kind of fucks it all up because he's bad at writing out his ideas.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Exact same boat, plus being freaking starved for Spider-stuff. Scarlet Spider was scratching that itch in his run but then he was gone and all that was left was New Warriors, Ultimate Spidey was also good but for the past half year (more?) it's been on a downward spiral, then some Spider-verse one-shots were good and I'm ecstatic over having two Spider-people to read about monthly with Silk and Spider-Gwen.

I just love Spider-man and want a constant stream of good (or at least decent) Spider-media to consume and i'm sure as hell not getting any good Peter stuff out of Slott or the cartoon.

Pretty sure the cartoon is dead. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Slott's not gonna let the comic go.

Last I checked, the next few ASM comics won't be written by Slott and he'll be doing Renew Your Vows or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The only good thing to come out of Peter being single again was that one issue of Hickman's FF where he and Johnny Storm are roommates. I would read the gently caress out of a miniseries titled "What if... Spider-Man didn't throw the Human Torch out of his apartment."

What issue was that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm so glad I'm following this thread or else I would've picked up Renew Your Vows today. Ugh.

In happier news, GrGwoot has a good cover (and a good issue).

Anyone know what's up with the Gwen Stacy-based covers?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

She's the flavour of the month right now?

Ah. :v: Haven't picked up comics in a few years so I didn't know that was a thing.

Interesting. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/30/a-detailed-look-at-new-spider-man-costume-and-spider-mobile/

More pics of the suit. It's.....it just is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm starting to hear from people around here that Miles will most lilkely only be the main Spider-Man for about 1 year until Marvel puts Peter as the main again (probably at the insistence of Slott).

Hopefully this isn't likely but yeaah...don't know if I'd put that past Slott...

EDIT: "Here" being local comic shops, probably should've clarified.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 2, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

I dunno, the way Slott was acting arguing with Byrne was that Miles being the main lead is their way of "Having their cake and eating it too." So Slott is allowed to do whatever the gently caress he wants to do with Peter now because Miles can be the more traditional Peter story. Which is still stupid because Peter and Miles are different characters and Peter stories should still go to Peter, but whatever.

It will probably revert to Peter as the main one again in a year, but it won't be because of Slott but because of movie synergy.

I could see them moving to Peter just to have synergy with the movies. Though, I could see them focus on a Spider-Men type team up mini-series or something instead..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Was Betty Brant technically Peter's first girlfriend or was it Gwen Stacy? I think a radio show in San Diego might have screwed a guy out of comicon tickets because the show got the answer wrong, but Im not totally sure. They said it was Gwen, the caller (and me) thought it was Betty.

The station was wrong, Betty Brant dated him first (thus was his first girlfriend) but Gwen was his first serious relationship until she died.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Thanks guys. I think its enough to at least put them on blast on FB or try to call in. They should find that guy and give him something.

Let us know how this turns out, morning stations around here always pull this kind of poo poo and never correct themselves.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Did post on FB and sent them a text. Im irrationally fired up about this, but then again Comicon passes are such a valuable prize there really shouldnt be any shenanigans whatsoever.

Considering it's ComiCon passes, yeah that's understandable. They probably just went on Wikipedia or asked some local nerd who only saw the movies or something and didn't fact check first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Which Spider-Verse is. It's getting a new name, but there's an ongoing by the same creative team, featuring the same characters launching after SW ends.

What's the new Spider Verse title?

http://kotaku.com/spider-man-s-daughter-just-wants-to-be-like-her-dad-1725080949

I know, it's Kotaku, but it seems most seem to like RYV for whatever reason. One commenter even claims Slott "revitalized" Spider-Man for them after OMD.

Is it really decent or is it like everything else Slott does and its lackluster after a few issues and has no meaningful end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's sort of like how you got all these Doctor Who stories in the 1980s written or influenced by the input of turbo-fans which were sequels to stories from the 1960s that a) had never been released on home video; and b) were often believed to have been wiped from the BBC tape archives. (There's one story from 1986 which is a sequel to a 1966 story which, at the time, was believed to no longer exist.)

I thought those were still lost.

• Locked thread