Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dreqqus posted:

I'm legitimately torn. The actual story, the main thrust of it was completely worthless. But most of the tie-ins were pretty amazing. Without this, we wouldn't have Spider-Gwen, Spider-Punk, or SP//dr. Hell most of the rest of the tie-ins were at least enjoyable. If Spider-mans VS Vampire: The Masquerade was the price to pay for these other, actually good stories then I'm ok with that.

This event has pretty much solidified for me that Slott is a really, really great idea man, but when it comes to executing on those ideas he is the last person you want. He should really be an editor and not a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Old discussion but i'm pretty excited for Silk, Slott has a good history of putting up something pretty bad and other writers doing something good with it, like with Alpha, SpOck and bringing Kaine back to life.

Someone being excited for Silk reminds me of DarkTitizme being really into the Nu 52 version of Starfire. Maybe the new writer will give her character traits other than "fucks Spider-Man a lot. Seriously they gently caress a LOT," but when that's the whole basis for a character I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Which is too bad, because it's the only relationship they've even hinted at since the marriage broke up that I gave even half a poo poo about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

The thing that has hampered like 90% of her Captain Marvel run. ~editorial changes~

Every single time it seems like that book is gaining steam something happens and it totally changes direction. And then it putters along, finally starts to gain traction, and bam, another complete direction change. This second volume has at least been a bit more stable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Remove pheromones and you're talking about River Song.

Who's the worst Dr. Who character, possibly ever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I tried reading Arana recently as I'd never given it a shot when it came out. All her stuff is pretty bad right from the start.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

It was a fan name that caught on because Marvel didn't want to dilute the very popular franchise Spider-Woman instead of just doing what they normal do and add an adjective to it (IE: The Spectacular Spider-Woman)

She should obviously be The Superior Spider-Woman, and have that adjective be accurate for the first time ever :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Terror, Inc. predates Jeepers Creepers by quite a while.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Also less child rapist

I haven't done a full accounting of where he's gotten every single piece of himself from at this point, so I can neither confirm or deny this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My issue with Spider-Gwen is it just threw us into the middle of this universe in progress. Clearly she is familiar with Vulture, and knows about him being Adrian Toomes, and knows enough about him to figure out his motivation. But we don't know any of that. It's like I started reading halfway through the story.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

...Um, she knows he's Toomes because her dad's investigating him, and released the name and address to the press? As he spent about 4 pages discussing with Foggy Nelson? She figured the motive by seeing his view from his apartment was right of the billboard about her.

They spent 4 pages talking about how he's been replaced by Frank Castle because he disagrees with the mayor about Gwen, and that Ben Grimm got the poo poo kicked out of him, and about two panels on the "the sooner we leak this to the press the better" thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I want to add that I love how incredibly blasé everyone is about an entire universe poofing out of reality. Especially when the guy who's job is to oversee that poo poo admits he has no idea what just happened.

Well to be fair universes have been poofing out of reality, and literally crashing into our reality, for several months now so...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I found Spider-Woman 5 much more enjoyable than Batgirl. Batgirls new costume is rad, but it's still a terrible book that's bad in the same way most Nu52 books are bad. I dropped it after two issues.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I think the real issue is she was never a street vigilante. She was in with spies and HYDRA and weird magic poo poo effectively from birth.

And you can't see how she might be sick of that and want to be more "normal" (at least for a superhero)?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

OH

MY

GOD

NEXTWAVE IS CANON

Eh, only kind of. They've completely changed what The Beyond Corporation is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I remember a lot of people being really upset that Bendis killed Hawkeye. I also remember being really confused by that because Hawkeye was lame and who cares. Now if they killed Hawkeye I'd be really upset.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, here's the Renew Your Vows preview.

Is it me, or does the kid seem to change size every other panel?

Also christ, the Regent (assuming that is the Regent) looks like a refugee from '90s Image. You can't even see his feet clearly!

So the pitch for this was just Slott going "So you know all those people who want Peter and MJ together? Well I'm going to make that book. But we're going to make it be the worst possible thing we can, and then just laugh and laugh." right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'll never forgive Loners for what it did to Phil Urich, or Dan Slott for choosing not to just ignore it like everyone else.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The thing I don't get is they wanted Peter to be able to date people. So then every person they had him date who maybe caught on a bit and people like they then immediately dropped. It's like Marvel just hates the idea of people enjoying Peter being in a relationship.

"Oh, you like him married to MJ? gently caress YOU!"

"Oh, hey, it seems like people like the idea of him and Captain Marvel dating? Better say how stupid it is and have them never alone again!"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I gave the first issue of Renew Your Vows a read against my better judgement. I should like...not do that in the future. It wasn't as awful as some of Slott's other stuff, but it's been the most mediocre, boring, and forgettable of the Secret Wars tie ins that I've read so far.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The stuff with Spider Gwen in it is really good, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe how great the book is considering where she came from.

It's pretty good evidence of the "no bad characters, just bad writers" argument.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would just assume that after Secret Wars most books will be getting relaunched, and either pick up somewhat close to where they left off, or start new jumping on point plot lines. Whether anything not originally taking place in the 616 gets the former is the part I'm curious about. Depends on if they're actually going through with the death of the multiverse thing and putting everything onto one earth, or if that's just marketing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Slott's story right before Secret Wars put Parker Industries in some type of huge scandal?

I don't know, but it probably doesn't matter as the entire universe was destroyed and I'm guessing whatever the new status quo is going to be will be very much picking and choosing what comes over.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

A dull Spider-Man cover would be him fighting the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus with the New York skyline in the background. Neon Spider-Man in Japan with a new Spidermobile, and Peter Parker in a white suit pressing a button on his watch is the opposite of dull. It lights your brain up with a dozen questions, and the only way to answer them is to read the book. The book probably won't be very good, but that's a good hook for a title that could easily just coast on the same old stories.

The only question that popped into my brain was "why is Slott still on this book?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The Spidermobile is the best precisely because it's the dumbest loving idea in the world. Didn't it initially only pop up a couple of times so they could sell a toy and it consistently got wrecked because Peter Parker is a godawful driver?

Yes, and in those occasions it was great. But Slott keeps trying to make us think it's awesome and not a big dumb joke.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I disagree, Slott is clearly still pushing it as a big dumb joke, unless you think peter parked car was supposed to be a serious, straight faced thing

This new one, from what we've seen, is clearly supposed to be serious. They even ditched the old goofy dune buggy look.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah they definitely didn't have a poo poo ton of Spider-man comics already. This is the first time in history that there has been a lot of Spider-man comics coming out at once.

They've had one ongoing for the last what...5 years now? And then as soon as they get the rights back that balloons to this many. I can see a connection. Also Marvel has been on record, I believe, saying they don't want to do free promotion for movies they don't have the rights to, hence F4 being downplayed lately and such.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The F4 stuff will probably all be worked out pretty soon anyway, once that terrible looking movie bombs and Marvel ends up getting the rights back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Counterpoint: They gave up Daredevil, and Sony was able to work out a co-production deal with Marvel with Spider-Man. Yes, as long as the movies are making money they will never do any of these things, but one of them bombing, or even getting shredded by critics and viewers like ASM2 did, seems to be all it takes for them to shift their focus.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder if we'll finally get to know what the gently caress Peter was reacting to when he looked up 616 Miles Morales at the end of Spider-Men now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Castomira posted:

According to Jason Latour, universe-hopping is going to become a major trait of the character, so most likely she'll get her own universe and flit in and out of the main universe with enough regularity as to be the Gwen Stacy of Marvel.

Ganke being best friends with one alternate universe Spider-Man and dating another while he himself is just some powerless shlub nerd would be kind of hilarious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait why is Eddie Toxin now? Did I miss something somewhere?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

X-O posted:

It was done against his will in the Agent Venom series.

He ended up taking control of and going off to do his own thing at the end though.

Ah, I stopped reading Agent Venom after the creative team change.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would love to see that happen, but it would still be Dan Slott writing it, so I don't give a gently caress if it's true or not. Gonna take more than that to get me to spend money on Spider-Man again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would take a million Bendises all writing about Miles Morales dad forever over one Dan Slott.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I just had a guy throw a fit over the new ASM #1.

"MARVEL SAID THE LAST SERIES WAS THE FINAL AMAZING SPIDER-MAN EVER WHAT THE gently caress."

And it had been so pleasant here lately.

Did they ever even actually say that? And who believes comic companies about poo poo like that anyway? They're basically carnival barkers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

literally the only information I had was the cover. Why so hostile?

There's a saying about this, I think.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I picked up the relaunch over Christmas just to see and I'm shocked that I don't hate it. I don't love it, and it's got enough Slott stuff in it to make me occasionally roll my eyes, but overall it's head and shoulders above everything else he's done since taking over the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When does Miles' new series launch, anyway?

• Locked thread