Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Question IRL posted:

So, moving past that depressing conversation which was out to rob the joy of a dinosaur based world...

The solicits for November are up, and it's all Spider-Verse all the time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54943

WARNING: THE ABOVE LINK CONTAINS MENTION OF BEN REILLY! IF YOU ARE A HOPELESS BEN REILLY FAN, READING THOSE SOLICITS MAY MAKE YOU WANT TO BUY INTO SPIDER-VERSE!

Oh my good God, Scarlet Spiders is a thing and I cannot wait to read it. Holy moley, get in my hands already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waterhaul posted:

Scarlet Spiders was announced a long time ago and discussed in this here thread.

Well gently caress me for missing out. I'm excited.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Superior was only decent when it was in non-Slott hands. So if you've got to give him credit, give him credit for the initial idea. Cause holy fuckballs I hated just about everything about him in the superior series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Slott just really hates Peter Parker being Peter Parker, I guess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My only issue with the premise is that Slott's the one doing it. I was against the Superior Spider-Man premise at first until better writers made him fun. I was against the regression back to relatively normal Peter because of the way Slott made it happen. Spider-Verse was fun because the premise was fun and I could read other stories while Slott dorked around the main one. This new premise isn't bad on its own merits, but Slott just hasn't clicked with me yet and I'm worn down on seeing his name everywhere.

It's pretty much a matter of preference, as opposed to the shenanigans of OMD which was dumb inside and out and I don't think I'll ever see how that was supposed to work.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can't for the life of me see what y'all see in this. It strips everything that makes the character remotely interesting and replaces it with pure dullness.

I guess they're giving the Peter Parker experience to Miles now. Not that I'm complaining, but how they refer to him as New York's Spider-Man I figure it's something like that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It just dawned on me that Peter is basically trying to be like a good Norman Osbourne. Got too tied up in the Stark comparisons, I suppose.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss Scarlet Spider...:smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWuqFnbLLGE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Scarlet Spider not being handled by Yost is concerning.

Scarlet Spider being handled by Slott puts me on suicide watch.

God drat you, Slott.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amazing Spiderman HAS been good, this is true. But I still don't trust him tinkering with other characters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

X-O posted:

The current run of Amazing Spider-Man is great. Read that.

It's true, and I hate Slott. He's got a groove going on.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am more open to a "Let's see a crappy side of Peter Parker" story when it takes this approach. The Superior Spidey approach wasn't as enjoyable to me, even if other writers did have some good fun with it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Regent already had his time in the spotlight with the stupid sad sack Spidey mini series, I don't know why we have to revisit the exact same story but this time with Iron Man. Oh well, whatever. Just get it over with, Slott.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, despite my bitching this is still the first chapter I've actively disliked. So I'm still pretty pleased overall with the run so far.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I tend to agree with you overall on all points. I tried my absolute damndest to like all new ultimates, but it was complete trash. I think I was reading it at the name time I was reading...i think it was New Warriors, with Kaine and Speedball and crew, and reading these two super team mini series was like night and day. One was drawn well, funny and exciting, the other looked like poo poo and never did anything I enjoyed.

I'd like to have 1610 Jessica Drew back, but that would be a very hard thing to make happen, I think.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only warning I give for reading Miles Spider-Man is beware if you're not a fan of the venom blast.

It doesn't bother me too much, but it does others and I totally get why.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

and from how bendis has reacted to people complaining about it, it's not going to stop

which is part of why I'm really thinking of dropping it

Oooh, I wanna see! Like I said, it doesn't bother me, but if Bendis is being a poo poo I wanna hear about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

X-O posted:

Mockingbird is better than Silk. But Silk is good. I don't read Gwenpool but I doubt it's better than Mockingbird.

Glenpool started strong, but right now I think it's kinda in between arcs. The next issue or two I expect things to pick up. But really, for Gwenpool ymmv depending on how goofy and meta you want your leads.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Keep your eyes peeled for a monkey's paw.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The conspiracy was awful, even though we all knew ahead of time it would be. That's impressive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It looks like they're undoing all the reformation the symbiote went through in this bridge series.

And doing so in the worst way possible.

I admit I haven't read as much of Venom's stuff as I probably would have liked to over the years, but coming from Flash to this new series has been absolutely awful. It really reads like some edgy 13 year old's fanfiction, and not in a funny way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spider-Man's art took a turn for the weird. Everybody has chunky necks now, even poor Miles's mom.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm haunted by that now, since this is the first time I've heard of it. I dream of a brighter day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also :lol: at his dad's subplot being the biggest waste of time ever as of this issue.

Just :lol: forever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, gently caress you Bendis.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lurdiak posted:

Dan Slott?

you

you loving monster

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's pretty telling to me that my favorite Spider-Man comic right now is Spider-Man/Deadpool.

Dire straights for the arachnid dude

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm still just sitting here though. The dad subplot took up so much time of each Miles adventure. So drat much. Was the whole thing just a badly written, badly executed excuse for this current family drama? Was Miles being found out not enough for Bendis?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lurdiak posted:

Introducing 616 Miles' dad.

Hahahahaha I'm just waiting for his dad to borrow the suit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hooray! Bombshell returns to Spider-Man! I wonder what will--

--:what:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah....this week you could call it a minor cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TFRazorsaw posted:

How are people feeling Scarlet Spider? I read this last issue with him and Kaine and I was entertained.

The series should be from Kaine's perspective, because I haven't met a person yet who wants to read from "Monkey's paw revived Ben Reilly"'s POV at all. He's just dumb and evil.

• Locked thread