Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Why... Why can't ASM be good? Spidey is my favorite comic book character.

The comic has gone on for too long with too much old baggage from bad or badly edited writers. Ultimate proved (until Ultimatum) that the characters can still be good, if handled with some more care and given a somewhat clean slate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

On another note, is there any kind of comic in the vein of Marvel Adventures Spidey or Mary Jane Loves Spider-man that's knocking about lately? The whole Doc Ock thing mostly left me confused so I never followed that line of events and now I'm not seeing much of a reason to jump back on.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 16, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

In 3 weeks. As for the best Spider books right now I'd rank them

Spidey is like the spiritual successor to the Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man books.

Oh man I wish those had continued. I kept wondering what the heck was going to happen next with Spidey and Chat and her cool owl and all that. But if you say they're essentially in the same vein, I'm going to have to check Spidey out.

Edit: Know where I can buy an electronic copy? Just searching for Spidey online doesn't net me many results.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks a bundle, and from what I've read so far it really is good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Metalshark posted:

So Aunt May's ill, Mephisto is taunting Peter and MJ is back in Peter's life... are we actually heading towards Dead No One More Day? :ohdear:

Now all we need is Aunt May dying from a treatable disease and we've traveled as far back as we need to in time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I just finished Clone Conspiracy. God drat it was AWFUL. It didn't resolve anything and it supposedly killed Doc Ock after bringing him back.

Only thing I enjoyed was the art.

Having not read the comic since the bodysnatcher stuff that last part at least would make me happy. Not because I wanted to see doc get his comeuppance but because I think he is just a boring and terrible legacy character that should have been left by the sidelines years ago.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Can anyone explain Norman Osborn's master plan or even general motivations in ASM?

1) Norman Osborn was outed as the Green Goblin and a super criminal, so he goes into hiding.

2) Because he is a super criminal, he needs to take on a new identity so no one suspects he is a super criminal while he's running drugs and weapons in a criminal enterprise.

3) In order to keep anyone from knowing he's the Green Goblin, one of the main things he is smuggling as an anonymous criminal is Goblin Bombs.

4) Further, to keep a low profile while he's illegally selling Goblin Bombs to people, the identities he steals are those of other infamous criminals.

5) Oh yeah also even though he has all sorts of super advanced technology and has personally used holograms before and frequently employs a technology/power based master of disguise, he goes through agonizing Face Off plastic surgery every time he wants to swap identities.

If every single one of Spider-man's 60s villains just mysteriously died and never came back I would be a happy reader. Osborn especially.

Except Rhino. You better not kill Rhino now that he's been in Squirrel Girl.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Answer:

move all Spider-Man villains to Squirrel Girl, move all Squirrel Girl villains to Spider-Man.

Move everyone's villains to Squirrel Girl permanently. Then she will either beat them or turn them into unicorns, whichever comes first. Then all the other heroes can make up new and better villains that aren't mired in nostalgia or Brand New Day syndrome.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah...oof. Did any of the Brand New Day villains actually stick other than Overdrive?

They are half the reason I stopped reading the comic, so I couldn't say. Mister Negative was around until 2015 but I'm not sure he's been in anything after that. Paper Doll appeared in like... one story and that was about it? Freak's last appearance was over 70 issues past I think. If I am forgetting someone, then good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are bad.

They have neat designs but as characters they leave a lot to be desired.

Yeah. As mentioned before, Norman worked in Thunderbolts , almost perfectly as just "smart and ruthless director slowly going insane" , because you knew things were going to go really badly when he finally snapped and his descent to madness while showing an exterior of calm cool was a good contrast. The reader knew he was going to break and were kept on edge as to when and what would set him off. And it was glorious when he finally did. But that was really the end of his story, which is my main problem with recurring villains over decades. It isn't just that they tend to age badly except in rare cases, keeping them on past the ends of their natural arcs means you are left with a sense of stasis. Especially when you also regress the hero and their maturity at the same time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, it seems that Renew Your Vows is doing an 8-year timeskip with Legacy.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I feel bad about it and I am not even reading it right now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

If you liked the movie go start Ultimate Spider-Man from the first issue. It's all on Marvel Unlimited.

Then stop reading just before the Ultimate Clone Saga.

Edit:As for the reading , if I had the money to read that other comic I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

Ultimate Clone Saga is just fine. It's pretty good actually. You should read Ultimate Spider-Man all the way until the end. There's only two or at most three subpar arcs in 160+ issues.

It isn't terrible, but it is the point where the comic starts screwing up. And as much as I liked the idea of the super friends nothing ever really comes of it.

• Locked thread