Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

It's me. I am the person excited for Spider-Verse.

Honestly, so am I. I know deep down that it'll probably be disappointing, but I am a sucker for crossovers and character interacting with alternate versions of themselves. I mean, it's stupid, but if Waterhaul's description of it being like the finale of the 90s cartoon is even close to accurate, well then gently caress it, it'll probably be good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever show that's the wrong word reference Anna Maria sleeping with Peter before now? Because I don't remember that happening at all during Superior and find that coming out at the end hi-fuckin'-larious. "Oh hey we hosed guess ya should know"

I love that the entire issue is devoted to "Hey here's how everything in Peter's life is pretty well off right now and absolutely everything is going to fall apart very shortly because Peter is not Ock."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Like 37 people know he has a Spider-Sense. The Green Goblin (Norman) even came up with a gas that nullified it.

There was that one-shot during Spider-Island with a bunch of little side stories and one was about a bunch of guys using their newfound spiderpowers to rob a bank while complaining about having weird uneasy feelings that they can't explain the whole time. Then one of the robbers reveals himself to be the Punisher, guns them down, and on the way out of the bank says something like "It's called Spider-Sense".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I hear issue two comes out today! How will Pete get his way out of Marie's clutches? There is only one answer...

briiiiiing...briiiiing...click, "Hi, Mephesto, yeah it's me Peter. What'll cost for a person to go 'missing'?"

"Yeah, so I'm not married but what can I get for my aunt's marriage? Do I have jurisdiction over that?... Fine, be an rear end in a top hat. I've probably got a little residual Doctor Octopus kicking around in my head, and I'll throw in that Living Brain robot to make you cocktails, will that get me anything? "

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

She's also a one-dimensional perfect girlfriend. Great cook, nerdy, smart, devoted, low self-esteem...

See we keep her from being too perfect by sticking her with an obvious physical handicap and drawing her like a child!

Can I write Spider-Man for years now?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MagnesiumB posted:

That's a pitch I can get behind. Also kinda makes me wonder what a Louis C.K. written comic would be like.

"Everything's Amazing (Spider-Man) and Nobody's Happy"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

And people still hiring j Jonah?? :psyduck:

That one's not that shocking... well, to me at least. You know how Marvel loves them some cross-media synchronicity, and JJ's a yelling TV newscaster on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon nowadays, so it was bound to happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

It kept going for over a 100 issues, so they must have done something right.

Having read exactly zero of Spider-Girl or MC2 at all, maybe it was just the universe in general? I mean, the concept of reading a Marvel universe that has actually advanced in time (that isn't just a brief mini/one-storyline-glimpse into the future) is interesting to me. I read the wikipedia article on Spider-Girl and I thought the concept of Peter giving up the hero game after losing a leg was neat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inkspot posted:

Those were some severe plot swerves. I mean, Spider-Man's known for his ADHD sometimes, but drat. Do all the Original Sin tie-ins kick it up to spastic that quickly, or is it just Slott being Slott?

Definitely the latter. I mean, everybody and their grandma knows Parker Industries is going to fail miserably but it feels like even Slott decided "WELP I'M DONE WITH THIS" and is just trying to tank it by having Peter blatantly be as terrible a boss as possible at every possible moment until his company either flops or his employees get so tired of his bullshit they all simultaneously quit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alternately, it actually does last a really long time and we get scenes of cops trying to pull down criminals from light poles that've been stuck for hours

"Come the gently caress ON what IS this? "

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

Just go full '90s kids show diversity and have a Spider-Man who swings around in a wheelchair.

Burger King Spider-Kids Club

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jessica isn't wearing her Black Widow costume :colbert:

That's a good thing because her Spider-Woman costume is much better :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh.

That's...kind of annoying, actually.

Is it something I should skip?

Probably. All of the 100th Anniversary issues are just "man imagine what this comic would be like in the future" and the gimmick is they all pretend like they're just single issues from that time and so they drop you in the "middle" of a story for a setting. Some of them are kind of cute and neat (Fantastic Four, Avengers), Spider-Man's is just kinda there. X-Men's is downright offensive in how bad it is.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 31, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am sad Armor Spider-Man died because I remember as a kid thinking that it was the raddest poo poo ever after seeing it on the 90s cartoon. Also because that Peter was basically Iron Man. Oh well...

Now that I'm thinking about the 90s cartoon I can only hope that 90s animated Spider-Man is recruited and immediately has to be saved from falling to the ground once he learns that webbing has to actually connect to things in other universes rather than just flying up into the sky to grapple onto nothing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 13, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

Kamala Khan as drawn by Humberto Ramos.

Oh god I hadn't thought about that but now I am and whyyyyy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Surprised to see Edge of Spider-Verse getting so much praise here as I thought it was just bad. Starting out with almost five pages of just droll narration on this character? Jesus, show, don't tell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Hopeless can write well. Him on a book isn't a death sentence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

I'd be totally fine with that because let's face it: Peter Parker is the least interesting Spider-Man out there. Kaine, Miles, Otto, Jess, Ult Jess, Spider-Gwen, Anya...they're all much more fun to read about. Most of Peter's best moments of late have all come from his interacting with other heroes in various team books, stories centered around him are all played out, same old same old.

Parker is only the least interesting Spider when he's written poorly. Of course, therein lies a different set of problems [see thread title]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Goon posted:

They're replacing Peter again?

Just a rumor for now. I think it's probably bogus since the guy did only just get back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I don't think I'd even mind a soft reboot from Marvel. I'm sure they could avoid New 52 problems.

Oh don't go saying things like that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who thought the New 52 was not only a good idea but sure to work perfectly when it was announced.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought the joke about how old cartoon Spider-Man literally couldn't come up with words to describe how bad things were was funny. Sue me.

Honestly I don't know why people are mad. Well let me rephrase that, I know why people are mad. But poo poo, did you really expect to read an event that promised to feature every Spider-Man ever, where the premise is that all the Spider-Men are being hunted and killed by extradimensional weirdos, and not expect to see at least one recognizable/famous Spider-Man get killed? Or did you think it would just be a bunch of random cameo Spideys no one liked all that much in a ditch like armor Spider-Man from the last few episodes of 90s Spider-Man or Spider-Man Unlimited (that was Spider-Man Unlimited getting offed in this issue too, right?) this week?

I mean I'm not Slott's biggest fan either, but 616 Peter's continued inability to act remotely like an adult when confronted with the responsibility of running his company was far more offensive than the brutal murder.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, Slott goes out of his way to deliberately antagonise his audience. I'm not sure how posting a single image qualifies as 'harassment'.

Has he actually said anything to antagonize anyone or is everybody still acting like changing your name for Halloween is some sort of super troll instead of something lots of people do?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Castomira posted:

Just because I lived through it doesn't mean I care about it.

Hey, don't say bad things about timeless characters like... um... gimme a minute... that guy who looked like the Green Goblin but was good? poo poo Spider-Man Unlimited was bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really hope SP//dr gets a mini or something down the line, if only to see that universe's JJJ yelling "GET IN THE ROBOT, PARKER!!"

Since SP//dr takes place in anime-land, I think it's fairly obvious that their JJJ is one of the faceless SEELE panels from Evangelion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

When I finished Superior Foes 17, I genuniely thought that was the very last issue. And I was pissed since it didn't finish any of the stories. Since finding out that there is at least one more issue left, I'm far more relaxed about it. That being said, there's a lot to wrap up in one issue.

Not really though, is there? I mean, all that's left is seeing who gets Silvermane's head/leadership of the Maggia and seeing if Shocker gets his revenge. Boomerang got his happy ending (for now).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You'd think they'd want the books about the younger characters to be more light-hearted and fun, but nope. Ms. Marvel is a wonderful exception, but I fully expect people to put her though the meat grinder once the current creative team leaves. I blame Teen Titans.

Honestly, I'd blame Spider-Man before you blame Teen Titans. As was mentioned, Peter Parker was a teenager who lost a parental figure and a girlfriend and his stories sold like gangbusters, so every writer saw a clear blueprint to success. I guess it's easy to pin some blame on Batman also, but ever since Gwen Stacy, Spider-Man really set the mold for "teen character's life never stops being lovely" that every bad writer has strived to emulate over and over again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, there's probably a perfectly identical MC2 somewhere out there. After all, apparently there's a tie-in where Amazing Friends Spider-Man is going to be saved by (current cartoon) Ultimate Spider-Man after Slott viciously murdered him, so death is never the end when there's an identical you just one universe over.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That whole Spider-Family is gonna get so murdered by Morlun :unsmigghh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Arana didn't.

Arana didn't originally but then as Spider-Girl she did! :eng101:

...By which I mean she got spider-powers during Spider-Island. (of course in Spider-Island they were genetically engineered bedbugs IIRC and not radioactive spiders) But still, she has powers now that were conferred to her by a bug.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

I am glad that creative freedom was given. What would the comics world be without Wild Thing, Angry Eagle, Darkdevil, Sabreclaw or the greatest Spider character since creation J2.

This but unironically. (Honestly, I've never read anything about the MC2 characters outside their Wikipedia pages but they seem like the best kind of stupid fun.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"Form feet and legs and legs and legs and legs..."

"And I'll form the web-shooters!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Leopardon will be saved for an almost direct ripoff of the scene in Avengers when Hulk slams Loki into the floor of Stark Tower.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Good to hear Newspaper Spidey survived but what this event really needs is Jay Pinkerton Newspaper Spidey showing up in the darkest hour to save the day for the other Spideys. :colbert:

Maybe Morlun's gay. Gay for Spider-Man!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I see Rockslide so I see good things ahead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Old Man Spidey is "Ezekiel"... um... who the hell is Ezekiel? Am I supposed to know him?

Otherwise I thought this issue was alright and I'm totally down for Scarlet Spiders.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

You can tell that is probably going to be good because it's written by Gage instead of Slott.

I don't know, if it's gonna be faithful to TV Ultimate Spidey, it'll have to be horribly unfunny.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Spider-Verse is the greatest story, but the overreaction I see to it here is insane. You'd think Dan Slott personally broke in to peoples' homes and kicked their dogs. That said, I did think the scene where Morlun walks up on Mayday was a little poorly done.

Also is it strange that I really liked how much I hated TV Ultimate Spider-Man? I mean, I really dislike the current cartoon, but somehow the fact that he was also awful in the book and Miles called him out on the cutaways made me happy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you're advertising 'every Spider-Man ever' as a selling point, I kind of expect it to be, while still having dramatic stakes, ultimately a light-hearted story with the various Spider-folks swapping bad jokes as they punch out the bad guys, not A SPIDER DIES ON EVERY PAGE. A celebration of Spidey in all his different incarnations. This? This just feels mean-spirited to the whole mythos.

What universe are you living in where event comics are light-hearted?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Something that isn't complaining about Dan Slott or complaining about complaining about Dan Slott: Gerry Conway's doing a five part story next year with Spidey and Wraith versus the crime lords of New York

I see Tombstone, but I don't see Head of the Maggia Shocker. Is nobody going to acknowledge the universe-changing events of Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's a little Spider-Man, when you think about it.

• Locked thread