Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well she's going to end up being evil that's just a given, she a non-traditionally attractive female in comic books. She'll find out it was Ock in Peter's body and want him back then we'll pick up on the Stunner appearance earlier to reveal the new Doc Ock loving villain Duo Stunner and a Half!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yes if there was anything to take away from the constant Slott bashing it was that people just wanted Peter back.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Well I'm glad it only took to page two for us to establish who hates Slott and the book and has no intention of reading any more!

Yes people who want to know what's going on with spider-man and not monetarily reward Marvel for keeping Slott on read the Spider-Man thread. Mostly in hopes of hearing that Slott was overcome by the need to only write independent original characters for Image or got his time consuming dream job of writing Dr Who or is abandoning comics to pursue his dream of professional line dancing.

Or maybe I just want to hear how he'll scramble to stay on his unsinkable boat again when marvel goes for another shake up "Spider-man is taken over by uh, um... the Hypno Hustler, that means I get to stay on because I'm not really writing Spider-man anymore!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

So is it a mask or is his face just naturally mannequin style?

Most of the time it's just a mask, every once and a while somebody decides to portray him as so crazy/dedicated that he mutilated his face for the sake of being able to use more realistic masks when impersonating people.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Look Peter has had a lot of concussions okay? The guy is lucky if he can keep his days of the week and colors straight.

I mean remember when he thought he was Doc Ock for a bit?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

This wasn't really about making him more relatable.

Its just Q wanted him to be a certain way so he was.

As to why thy just didn't do it in another book, the main SM title will sell well regardless, while satelite books generally struggle really really hard. Hence why they were dissolved and ASM went triple ship.

I am surprised it took them that long to try that.

Yeah the whole "relatable to a younger audience" is hogwash they know spider-man being married isn't what keeps kids out of the comics, the lack of digital distribution is, but they can't do a big push without risking comic shops disappearing all together. Which they care about, for some reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I see the return of sexy female Doc Ock in the future, not to be confused with sexy original recipe Doc Ock.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Myrddin Emrys posted:

People keep buying it.

Seriously, outside of SA and a few reddit users, most people I talk to love Slott's run. It's... insane. I've heard people call it the definitive run, non-sarcastically, and saying someone finally got it right.

and after Nu52 DC readership went up. The old buy anything guard needs to die off and maybe through a combination of abandoning physical media and good writing instead of endless nerd bait comics might survive.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 9, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

JJJ getting a pundunt position isn't strange, the fact it's not going to pay off with him eviscerating the first szeezy CEO they send in for a softball interview is the real shame.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 30, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Guys it could be worse, Slott could be writing her for an extended period of time. Isn't death preferable?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Really it should be standard procedure that if somebody gets all "No you can't read my mind to confirm who I am!" Thor should tackle them screaming "HAVE AT THE SKRULL!" but it's one of those things they have to sacrifice to tell totally not boring or contrived identity switches.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's more that everyone else who used Spock for half a page used the premise better then Slott did in his entire run. So many writers did so much better with the idea with so much less time that Slott wasting it for just a blah run is really disheartening.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That spider armor showed up in regular continuity as well, it was made out of hardened webbing derivative a worn for a single issue then Peter purposefully broke it by flexing (yes flexing) and revealed he was wearing a regular suit beneath it. That's "Here's you loving toy tie in you dicks!" in writer speak.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That's not fair I'm sure there also lots of "No you can't do another take time is money"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

By Hopeless.

Clean out the fridge we'll need the room.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'd need to know if bringing Peter back gave the expected numbers bump and if so how long the bump lasted to decide if it was a real possibility.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

They have handled more complicated continuity by pretending it didn't happen.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

OldTennisCourt posted:

Look, it was just unnecessary and loving dumb. It's literally the exact same as that awful Wendy and Marvin garbage. It's Slott using lighthearted characters deaths to go "OH WOW, THIS GUY SUUUUUUUUUUUURE IS EVIL, WOWZERS GUYS, DON'T YA JUST HATE HIM NOW?" which is how a hack writes villains. The little burn was also an obvious jab too. It's a lovely scene that did nothing but piss people off because it was a ham handed way to get people angry.

That's down right insulting.

Hack writers wouldn't even pull that, this is angry 14 year old fan-fiction level where Micky and Minnie mouse get offed while pluto looks on and cries.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

(which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right)

This thread gets like six posts a week when you aren't rushing in to defend Slott's honor so it's probably not the best place to predict an "I told you so" surge in numbers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

As much as I'd find it delicious if Slott managed to sink the unsinkable ship he so desperately clung to during a line wide shake up, yeah those numbers are just evening out after a big collector boom.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I don't get how anybody can care about the spider-verse at all. The main villain is loving Morlun.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Main series are really are the only thing that sells anymore and how much of that is just habit nobody can say.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

Did you at least read the Edge of Spiderverse one shots? They were fun stuff, and each stand on their own until the last couple pages of each issue.

I didn't, them being good will just makes it worse when Slott comes in and pisses on them to get the nerd rage flowing.

This thread is the sum of my Spider-Man exposure, it'll stay that way until Slott is gone.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Chortles posted:

At least Dan Slott had to play kiddie gloves with her portrayal.

Considering the reaction he'd get I'm sure it was actually really tempting for him to pull some crap.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I had no idea it existed.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well Slott can write Spider-Man well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

You can chalk those up to flukes or all the good spidey material he had in him at this point.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TLG James posted:

Arana didn't. Though I fail to see how she'll help in the least in this situation. Unless you're just talking about other dimensions spider people.

Miguel has no mystical anything to him aside from Thor's hammer and there was no spider directly involved in his origin, might be why Morlun hesitated in 2099.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Like most of Slott's ideas Silk will probably be fantastic under somebody else.

Dude would make a brilliant editor and it's a shame he's hung up on being a mediocre writer for some "wrote Spider-man the longest" No Prize.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

So what issue did Toei Spider-Man show up in?

And by what level of bullshit did Morloun overpower a thirty story robot?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"Form feet and legs and legs and legs and legs..."

I AM MORLUN UNSTOPABLE SPIDER-MAN DRACULA BLAH BLAH BLAH! *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* *stomp*

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's what should happen considering Morlun's original defeat is through the science of shooting radioactive waste into yourself to counter his mumbo-jumbo. Giant robot is the next tier of science.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I wish the writers of big two would learn that death above all else has become loving boring. Look how far writers have to stretch to give it impact, digging up nostalgia bait and sad pets to have anybody care.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

So they put a yellow diamond on a Kate Bishop Hawkeye costume.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Don't tease me with ideas like that.

The costume is boring but Jessica Drew is boring and only stays around through a grandfather character clause so it works.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Little Mac posted:

I like the new costume but I don't get the shoulder things.

"The new Batgirl costume has snaps so put some snaps on it."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Hickman has killed a vast majority of worlds off panel because he realizes that it gets less and less effective every time you kill on panel. Nobody is angry over the spider deaths they are just bored by them an angry they can't get invested.

Plus discount hammer horror vampires will never sell as multiversal threats which is why Slott is having to try so hard.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 9, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish the one-shots were Morlun losing for silly reasons.

Morlun can't kill Twinkie Spider-Man because every time he tries he's distracted by the twinkies, or the twinkies somehow manage to sate his hunger but only in that world or whatever. That would be funnier than the punchline being murder.

It's also a weird disconnect.

Care that these not vampires are murdering spider-men! Now here's a gag about them murdering spider-men.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

Kaine's costume is my favorite out of all the current Spiders, and to be honest, I never connected to Ben Reilly as a character at any point in history.

Well I hope you are ready to not connect with him as he becomes the Seriously Superior Spider-man in Slott's quest to never write Peter Parker but stay on the unsinkable ship that is the main spider-man book.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Castomira posted:

Marvel isn't going to start running Spider-Gwen only to end it in the middle of a storyline by dropping a bridge on her universe.

No but they sure are going to miss the point and bring her into the nu616 without any of the supporting cast and the setting that made the take interesting like every other time an alternate version catches big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Rhyno posted:

You are aware that JMS's original plan for that was to bring Gwen Stacy back right?

I'm going to say he does and that's why he pointed out that she is significantly more popular now then she was then, which increases the chances of them bringing her alternate version into the new pizza metaphor that is the future marvel universe.

• Locked thread