Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SalTheBard posted:

Yep. I felt bad for the guy but goddamn did he have poo poo luck in the WWE. At one point Mistico was one of the most popular wrestlers in the world.
One last tangent on Sin Cara, but he was a huge rear end in a top hat. He pulled a gun and threatened Alberto Del Rio when they were still in Mexico because Mistico was the "Big Shot" (and why Del Rio always beat the piss out of him), he refused to learn english, and he refused to go through development. No one had a single good thing to say about Sin Cara when he was in the WWE.

Sin Cara 2 is really cool though, I've met him at indy shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In some strange sense, Deadpool is more financially stable and responsible than Spider-Man is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If we're merging 616 and Ultimate there's nothing to lose by pushing Miles or a Peter clone as the new Spider-Man to keep them youthful, and then bookending Peter Parker by forcing him to grow up, get a real job, and start a family in a different title. Spider-Man is one of the most recognized Superheroes in the world, not Peter Parker. If you put someone else in the costume and push it hard people will adjust. No one cared about Tony Stark until he became Robert Downy Jr, and no one cared about Thor until he was Chris Evans. People care about Starlord now because the movie and casting were so good.

If you just push out a great Marvel movie featuring Miles, or a Peter Clone, or whatever you want eventually that character is going to become well loved too, I'm sure.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Are any of Spider-Gwen's appearances since she was introduced worth reading? I'll skip over her appearance in Slott's book, I think she's in another though. I have this astounding fear they're going to do the exact same thing they did to Anya when she became Spider-Girl and editorial will change everything unique about her immediately and the writers will have to dance around it.

Did you know Anya is an orphan? She has no family, and she's still in high school. It's never brought up but at the same time there's no goddamn reason for it because I can't even remember who killed her father.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TwoPair posted:

It was some bullshit where he was a target for assassination along with Red Hulk and when they both got poisoned, Ross hulked out to survive and accidentally smashed a chunk of roof on the guy. You know, some bullshit.

Also thinking about the Spider-Girl series reminded me that that scene with her decoding the scrolls in ASM is flawed. Her powers used to be tied to mystical totem poo poo. But now her powers are now a leftover part from Spider-Island that somehow didn't get erased at the end of the event and also somehow didn't turn her into a spider-monster like everyone who developed powers in that event. So she's powered by good ol' science like everyone else. I'd figure continuity cop Dan Slott wouldn't let that slide so easy.
Dan Slott only fixes the continuity for things he cares about. Just look at Alpha, he got bored and the character hasn't showed up hardly at all since.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Myrddin Emrys posted:

To be fair, everyone hated Alpha *like we were supposed to according to Slott*. So I guess us hating him and him not returning are all part of Slott's nefarious schemes.
But he's one of the strongest heroes EVER!!!!!

Slott really is just a giant child playing with his action figures.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The next Hickman project should be Dr. Strange. He's explored the Universe (FF), the Multiverse (Avengers) and now he can explore the magic-verse! He writes a good Dr Strange, and there's not a whole lot of super compelling Strange titles through history. They should push Hickman as the definitive run for Strange while the movie's being produced.

The Deadpool team would be great for Spider-Man, they've already shown they can do goofy and serious and the whole run (Except the dead presidents) has been pretty amazing. I think they'd be able to pull an emotional arc out of Spider-Man too between all the goofy Hypno Hustler issues.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Every dumb loving idea Slott's ever had was made better by whoever decides to write it next, so Silk might not turn out to be an awful character eventually, just an awful idea. X-23 was absolutely cringy stuff when her on-going origins came out (I'm so sad, look at me slitting my wrists but oh no they'll just heal back. This is my grimdark past woe is me)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

People say that about X-23 origins but they are only about as grimdark as Wolverine's.
I'm not nearly that old to remember Wolverine's origins but X-23's came off like a super goth/emo pander. The other titles were really good, I don't hate the character it was just a really bad introduction to me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Silk was okay. It was like reading a Batgirl book. Not amazing, not awful, it's an above the average read that can build its niche audience. Unsurprisingly characters get much better the second they leave Slott's grubby hands

If it matters to anyone they age Peter and Silk in this issue. Peter is 25 and Silk is 28. I don't think it was intentional, but Silk was 18 when she put herself into the bunker for 10 years, so if Peter was still 15 when he was bit, he's 25 now and he's been Spider-Man 10 years. That's reasonable enough, Marvel's always had a sliding timescale.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 18, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Arana is and always has been a terrible character.
She was great for a long time, and her solo titles weren't even that bad.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I tried reading Arana recently as I'd never given it a shot when it came out. All her stuff is pretty bad right from the start.
The on-going, yeah it was the forced drama that derailed everything okay about her character. The Marvel Adventures and Ms. Marvel cameos and even Young Allies were pretty good (Young Allies wasn't that good just the character moments)

Spider-Island tie-in was good too

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 22, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It was a fan name that caught on because Marvel didn't want to dilute the very popular franchise Spider-Woman instead of just doing what they normal do and add an adjective to it (IE: The Spectacular Spider-Woman)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Spider-Gwen is still great! It's got more of a punk feel that traditional Spider-Man, Gwen deals with things in her own way but still has the famous Spider quips. They also name-drop the band that produced that song "Face it Tiger" based on the comic.

I haven't read the Dan Slott issues but Captain Stacy is alive again, so the whole cast is back and the Spider-Verse is only mentioned in passing a few times and doesn't seem like it's going to derail the title

There's more familiar-but-different characters:

Ben Grimm is a regular police officer. He still talks the same way he does as Thing.
Foggy works for the Police Dept.
Hobie Brown (Prowler) is one of Gwen's friends.
Frank Castle becomes temporary Captain of the Police Force

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

When did Captain Stacy die? He was fine in Edge of Spider-Verse.

Also unsurprisingly the epilogue of Spider-Verse did indeed sort everything out and people who clearly weren't dead, still aren't dead!
Why was I reading that Captain Stacy was being killed off?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It looked like Dan Slott was just writing the ending to MC2 Spider-Girl and not trying to ruin the character. Of course it's still not really his character to end.

Waterhaul posted:

You said Captain Stacy was alive again but he was always alive in Gwen's universe, unless I missed a tie-in.
I could be thinking of people complaining that Dan Slott might kill off her father, and stuff her into 616 until Battleworld, or I might be losing my mind.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It's nearly as ham-fisted as someone in a Spider-Man comic saying "Dan Slott? Man, I love that guy!"

The only people who would know what "fridging" is are people who follow Gail religiously, or post very regularly on places like 4chan, SA, ect. A casual comic book fan is not going to know what fridging is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

You linked a bunch of niche websites to prove what I said about no one knowing what it meant except for dedicated fans was true so

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is there even such a thing as a casual comic book fan?

I would assume that term doesn't really apply to any niche market.
There are people who only get Spider-Man and Batman comics and don't go online to talk about them, and considering their sales compared to most other comics there's probably quite a few people?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

My roommate's entire comic book reading experience is basically Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes, James Kochalka, Kate Beaton, random other indie books, and about half of the Invisibles, but she pays attention to the Internet and likes sci-fi/fantasy television and film and she is familiar with the term "fridging" and has used it to describe the treatment of female characters in fiction outside of superhero comics.
My brother owns the entirety of 52, and a bunch of Batman TPB (Almost every notable one), I asked him what fridging means and he has no idea? It just depends on if a person really follows comics on the internet or not. At that point it's less leisure and more hobby isn't it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Castomira posted:

I've used it in a (tongue-in-cheek) real-life context at least a couple times. Particularly because people in my community tend to have a much higher murder rate than the average, my best friend has said to me "please, don't get fridged to advance my character development."

Besides, Gwen's comment was in the same event where Miles said "my life just jumped the shark."
This whole argument is dumb but "Jumping the Shark" has been a phrase in the mainstream for decades and it's not even close to comparing it to something that happens in a niche community in a niche hobby.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Castomira posted:

If what you're saying is that fridging only happens in comic books, I don't know what planet you live on.
The phrase "Fridging" not the action of a female dying to advance a male's plot. Do I have really bad English or can goons have problems processing words?

TwoPair posted:

This is the same forum that got into a heated debate because Ms. Marvel referenced an internet meme.
In the first issue she was talking about her Hero x My Little Pony fanfiction so I don't know what else people expected in a comic about a teenage girl who spends a lot of time on the internet.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

No, I got that. I literally didn't know what the original meme was about.
It's a Shiba dog that's spelled like Doge and it has the same style of text. It became a meme, people made a thousand variations on it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kaleidoscope posted:

Seriously, you guys are bending over backwards to poo poo on Slott. The point has never been that he's a good writer, rather that his run has produced good ideas for Spider-Man.
If he didn't have a twitter account most people would just say he's a bad writer and move on, but most of the time he's actively trying to troll certain groups of fans and get a reaction out of them which is why people hate him so much.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

So you're saying it's his fault because he's provocatively dressed?
Are you actually comparing Dan Slott being a poo poo on twitter to women being raped?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

He's actually Vince Russo + 175 more pounds.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Renew your Vows sounds like it's going to be retconned immediately because of Secret Wars.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

So, it's another one of those bits where they're teasing fans and not delivering again?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Silk was World-Building today but I still think she's so much better of a character than when Slott had her, and she's very readable now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

Okay so I read Spider-Gwen and thought it was pretty amazing.

I have this nasty feeling Silk and Spider-Woman are both really great too. So I should probably just read those also?

edit: i think my question is "is there going to be too much Spider-Person in my life if I read three spider-comics?"
Spider-Woman and Silk are both good, read their first issues and decide if you like the characters. People were less enthusiastic about Spider-Woman, but I like the idea of "Avenger wants to go back to street vigilante and keeps loving up"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Have Peter and Carol dating but the twist: Spider-Man is the damsel who keeps getting saved by Captain Marvel and it makes him feel inferior.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

That issue was another shinning example of how Dan Slott is okay at big ideas, but absolutely loving awful at execution. This is Battleworld, and they could have used any single villain they wanted in Renew Your Vowels but they come up with another Dan Slott special: A nameless nobody villain that exists for one arc, is apparently the strongest cosmic being in the whole universe, and only Spider-Man can stop him.

I mean surely there was someone in the Spider-Man mythos already that Slott could have used without having him randomly chump the X-Men.

It's not even really worth buying, there's much better Marvel books out this week. It was a whole lot of hype but it's still Dan Slott.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

MonsterWalk posted:

So how do they work Peter in? God, I hope this isn't going to be some Spider-Corps thing but it's totally going to be a Spider-Corps thing.

Or they'll just kill Peter.
Right in the background is "Parker Industries" so he'll probably go full-time into that career and help make tech for the rest of the Spiders. Hopefully Peter Parker can finally grow up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's usually nothing wrong with any of Slott's ideas, he just isn't a very good writer most of the time so it comes off as grating and hard to read.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

You give the creator credit even if someone did it better later.
I'm never giving Slott credit for Silk or Alpha because they were loving awful until they escaped his hands.

The debate about things changing/staying the same is dumb because some of the best characters in Marvel at the moment are brand-new characters based on a legacy. I really do think that Miles or Spider-Gwen on the main title wrote by anyone else would sell pretty well.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

How obnoxiously racist/stereotypical will Slott write Japan? How long until Spider-Man saves Japan from a giant monster?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Spider-Man is only about Dan Slott's fantasies, sorry.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Do most people complaining about Spider-Man's age even buy Spider-Man books, or have any awareness of who the other characters are right now? Or are they the same ones who got mad as hell that Ultimate Spider-Man became a minority crying "NOT MUH PARKER"

Gwen and Miles are great, young Spider-Peoples that more people should be aware of.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

They've had one ongoing for the last what...5 years now? And then as soon as they get the rights back that balloons to this many. I can see a connection. Also Marvel has been on record, I believe, saying they don't want to do free promotion for movies they don't have the rights to, hence F4 being downplayed lately and such.
The Fantastic Four are the center of the biggest Marvel event since Civil War

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dickeye was my first friend from SA please excuse him he is a very nice person.

Anyway, I just wanna triple-check and make sure the Spider-Gwen creative team is sticking around and resuming where they left off after the event. I haven't read any comics since week 2 of the event and haven't kept up with much of the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Soonmot posted:

So you haven't read Gwen being awesome in Spiderverse along with all the other fun spider-people? Seriously, this is a good event.
After week 2 I decided to wait until it was over and read everything in one sitting instead of waiting week to week, or month to month for my favorite titles :(

• Locked thread