Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Little Mac posted:

It's me. I am the person excited for Spider-Verse.

Will Spider-Man from the 90s cartoon somehow be involved? If not, I probably won't be picking this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I can't wait for the collectible action figure range of the Spider-Verse.

At least I finally got my dream of a new 2099 book, but I don't really care for the art.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

They'll all have one fist and a webslinger hand identical to every other Spider-Man figure released by Marvel Legends.

(Or they'll be like Ghost Rider who has a hand for holding a weapon when he doesn't even come with any weapons)

There's a bit in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 where Electro breaks one of Spider-Man's web-shooters, and he has to do the fight with just one. I like to think this was a direct reference to the figures.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

NoMoneyDown posted:

I'm just not feeling ASM. What made Superior so good was Doc Ock starting out by doing things his way, and basically doing villainous things to benefit the city in a heroic way. He was different from the previous Spiderman, and a breath of fresh air. Now we're back to business as usual with the most dry wit ever seen. The entire comic felt like the definition of "the more things change, the more they stay the same". I haven't been involved with current Spiderman for too long, and I know returning to status quo is par for the course, but Spockerman was a huge loss for me.

And I love that they have a side comic that explains how Spiderman's powers work, when

-There's a very very very SMALL group of people who are probably going to start on Spiderman at this point
-Even if they never picked up a Spiderman comic, I think a vast majority knows how his powers work by now

And the extra kick to the gut being the larger price tag, because they have to throw in their lovely new Inhumans comic in an already crowded book.

There's also a $10 digital exclusive special edition.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I literally cannot comprehend how people are taken in by the constant issues 1s in 2014.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think history is going to really remember JMS's run pretty poorly which is fair, but also a shame. A lot of stuff like Sins Past can go gently caress itself, but there was still some good sin that run, especially around Civil War. JMS really did a great job selling why Peter unmasking makes sense for the character. May reminding him that he made a lot of the decisions about what Spider-Man was as a child made sense. His handle of the family unity of Pete, May, and MJ was also really great.

In general, I really loved where Pete seemed to be going around Civil War. The notion that Peter needed to grow up and live up to his potential beyond just being Spider-Man made sense. And it seems to have become this new trope that Marvel will circle around, but not necessarily really move forward with. His bromance with Tony was wonderful even if I could have done without Iron-Spider. I was sincerely excited for where Marvel was going to go with Peter. And I know complaining about One More Day is silly at this point, but it was a bummer.

100x better than Slott's fart jokes, a weird unnatural scene where Pete and MJ laugh at him asking to move in, and then him magically getting a job at a science place because he can make up a complex equation while trying to switch a machine off or something.

Just reading Big Time. Not feeling it.

Got that and Spider-Island super cheap from Comixology.

Spider-Man's stuff is the best thing about Civil War.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

I don't remember that in Spectacular though I could be wrong, but it wasn't the 90s cartoon because that one had the trippy flashing lava lamp / circulatory system background thing with a high shrill whistle type sound.

I loved that.

That noise comes to me every time I'm reading something with spider sense.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Any uk guys/girls here read spidey via the monthly mag "Astonishing Spider-man"? Looking back the price per content was phenomenal, £2.50 got you two current story arc issues and a back up which would be a classic spidey issue or a off-shoot like toxin.

I remember my first copy had Ben Reilly fighting Kane in the front and inside featured JRjr art and just thinking to myself, that's spider-man! That's how he should look, that's how Pete should look it's perfect. 14 years later I'm still reading ol' Web Head :3:

They also had an x-men one which probably made reading x titles much easier.

Ahhh those were the days :allears:

I sometimes used to read "Complete Spider-Man" or something which collected together all the different Spidey books at the time (four?) or something like that. At the time I didn't really understand the difference between the books, and I'm not sure I even understand the difference to this day. However, it was pretty cool to have something with a bunch of content and variety.

The one I remember the most had a cool Venom story (the one where he saves that baby from drowning), and a story

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

How was Spider-Man Season One?

The Thor one was pretty good. Better than actual Journey Into Mystery Thor anyway.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

The whole concept of Spider-Gwen is the most interesting and refreshing Spider-Man in recent years.

But it will likely be terrible.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Hadn't heard the news that he dropped out, which is such a loving shame. I would have trusted him to make Ant Man fantastic, he's got so many cult favorites and if anyone could have done well with Ant Man it was him.

Does anyone know what happened between them?

Spider-Gwen is the best thing to happen to Spider-Man since (...?). Watch it disappear quickly when she sacrifices her like to save 616 Peter because he is the "true" Spider-Man or something.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not a Spider-Girl fan but "a character keeps getting written in dark, depressing or bad stories" isn't inherently better than them fading away, especially when they have their own universe. The inability for comic book authors to let a story go rarely works out.

Welcome to literally all "AAA" comic books.

From reading this stuff when I was younger to looking at it now it's like groundhog day. Nothing would make me happier than the creative teams letting these beloved franchises actually evolve. Doing that stuff in just alternate universe books just feels non-committal.

If Miles Morales was the main Spider-Man and that was the way it would be until the story again moved on nothing would make me happier.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

I wish the writers of big two would learn that death above all else has become loving boring. Look how far writers have to stretch to give it impact, digging up nostalgia bait and sad pets to have anybody care.

Yeah, 100%

Death for shock value is just not interesting to be in comic books any more. It doesn't excite me. I am not excited by current Spider-Man.

What does excite is the opportunity to tell interesting and engaging stories that try new things. Miles Morales when that happened, and Thor. It's not super hard.

What if the Amazing Friends stuff could have been re-evaluated or explored in some new way? But no they died oh wow so edgy so much excitement put me down for a standing order. Great job.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Twist: every Spider-Man from every issue of Slott's run has been from a slightly alternate universe. All of them team up to save the day in an event Slott has literally been planning from day one.

My tablet keeps autocorrecting Slott to Sloth.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Adding a jacket to a costume it such a bad 90s thing to do. I barely tolerate the hoodie on scarlet spider just because it's so funny to think about.

I still like that Scarlet Spider design :(

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Spiderverse is like a cross between Final Destination and Dragon Ball Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

I run a Spider-Man panels blog, where I post my favorite panels from the comics as I read through them. I just got to issue #66. Which is gonna be really cool for me because I actually own the copy, and it is also signed by Mr. John Romita himself!

If anyone actually gives a poo poo the blog is here: http://spidermanpanels.tumblr.com/

Nice. I like this sort of thing. If I'm reading on Comixology I often screenshot funny or weird panels myself. I post them on my blog, but I also post other stuff too.

Here is my Spider-Man stuff: http://infinitetumbleweed.tumblr.com/image/86606203433

This is my favourite though:

• Locked thread