Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Those old Spidey stripes are amazing! The catti-ness between Gwen and Mary-Jane is hilarious and I even forgot the MJ was around before Gwen died. Good thing I'm reading all the old issues so I can experience it all!

The new Amazing seems a bit jarred but, it'll be interesting once it all comes crashing down, I really do miss the JMS run so much. I figure this is the problem with the character being around for as long as he has, the story was going in a good direction but, someone decided they had push reset to keep him relevant, when gently caress it, high school teacher Peter could still work to this day.
The Ramo Perez story is pretty cool as a back up though, I hope they keep putting it in as a back up and release the .1 in between issues to further the story till it's completion and then do a different back up and follow that system. they won't but, I can dream.

Also the guy Clayton speaks to in the line for spidey's show is Ramon Perez the artist of the issue :eng101:

The 2099 story was weird though, the muggers look like a bunch of hipsters going to a concert who decided, gently caress it let's rob a woman. Maybe they were a bunch a women hating gay men? They were very metro and angry.

Finally, to anyone who read Ultimate Spider-Man #1 this week I really hope that's not the real Peter, part of my enjoyment of ultimate spidey is that I never read the Peter stuff so Miles didn't feel like he was in anyone's shadow, under pressure? Yes, but, shadow? No. I had to force myself to think "well, let's see how this plays out" :smith:.

Interesting two weeks for spider-fans!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Digests! I read the original Silvermane story this way, and it was great :) They'd throw in a bunch of other stuff, too, like Hembeck cartoons.

Any uk guys/girls here read spidey via the monthly mag "Astonishing Spider-man"? Looking back the price per content was phenomenal, £2.50 got you two current story arc issues and a back up which would be a classic spidey issue or a off-shoot like toxin.

I remember my first copy had Ben Reilly fighting Kane in the front and inside featured JRjr art and just thinking to myself, that's spider-man! That's how he should look, that's how Pete should look it's perfect. 14 years later I'm still reading ol' Web Head :3:

They also had an x-men one which probably made reading x titles much easier.

Ahhh those were the days :allears:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

The solicitations for August's Spidey books are up.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52926

They mention Superior Foes being at it's "Penultimate Hour." Hope that means for the story arc as opposed to the book being completely cancelled next issue.

I'm also very intrigued by Superior Spider-Man getting an issue 32. While it's nice to have Peter Back, Otto's story really isn't done yet, at all.

You know foes is getting cancelled. No reason for it to stick around after the end of superior. Plus everyone is coming down from the hawk eye craze (I'm sorry but when I read 1-5 of Hawkeye I wanted it to go away as fast as possible) and superior foes is 100% riding on the coat tails of that.

I also keep forgetting it exists as spidey comes out so frequently comparatively to other comics.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Also your Hawkeye opinions are bad, and you are a bad person because of them.

Boo hoo my feelings.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm glad you didn't try to defend your position here, as it is inherently indefensible.

Oh it's perfectly defensible. I found it boring and not to my liking but, if other people enjoy it, more power to them.

Now get off your Hawkeye horse and talk some spider-man.

I hear issue two comes out today! How will Pete get his way out of Marie's clutches? There is only one answer...

briiiiiing...briiiiing...click, "Hi, Mephesto, yeah it's me Peter. What'll cost for a person to go 'missing'?"

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah it is so intertwined with SSM that it would be impossible for it to exist without that book. Remember that one time Spider-Man showed up? Crazy.

I know and then he said words and webbed away or whatever. Crazy.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Okay, fine. It's getting cancelled either way and it'll be better that way as If people really enjoy it and it's that good there won't be loads of issues to collect and it can be a cult hit! Everybody wins.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

The astonishing foes
The bombastic foes
The avenging foes
The indestructible foes
The invincible foes
The uncanny foes
Marvel knights foes

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Don't buy Giant-Sized Spider Man. That is all

Any particular reason?

Also ASM from last week, holy poo poo the writing is even worse than brand new day.

"Herp we're gonna pause our money making thing so we can defeat electro and make a new super villain prison derp, by the way not spider-man"

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

How about:

Full-bearded peter, who's divorced from MJ with a daughter he sees every other weekend. Has to do fatherly things, stop bad guys, still has a poo poo job and currently trying to get back on the dating scene??

Basically "The Amazingly Dead-Beat Spider-Dad"!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Myrddin Emrys posted:

People keep buying it.

Seriously, outside of SA and a few reddit users, most people I talk to love Slott's run. It's... insane. I've heard people call it the definitive run, non-sarcastically, and saying someone finally got it right.

Stab these people.

although I can't stop buying spidey after 8 years of us editions, over 10 years total though

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Shame her face on that cover looks horrendous.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Well, I'm enjoying the 1.x issues of spidey more than regular ones. Perez's art nails it for me.

What's up with really trying to hammer home this black cat is evil now thing? she just wants to take out spider man even though she was aware he wasn't in control of his actions, and now she's just a petty thief, seems like a huge back step in her character. And people still hiring j Jonah?? :psyduck:

On the plus side for marvel, ASM now feels 100% that's it's written with kids as the audience in mind. Which is cool I guess?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

TwoPair posted:

That one's not that shocking... well, to me at least. You know how Marvel loves them some cross-media synchronicity, and JJ's a yelling TV newscaster on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon nowadays, so it was bound to happen.

The paper thing is getting dated (to me). It's not the newscaster thing, is the getting hired after being a shirty mayor and once again making spider slayers with his goddamn face on it :psyduck:

Heh my autocorrect turned lovely into shirty

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 30, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Reading family business at the moment. Holy poo poo, it's the best modern spidey story I've read in a long time!

Get waid on amazing!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

He was. For multiple years.

Get him back, with James Robinson!

Just finished reading it, this could easily have been in the comics as opposed to a one off graphic novel.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Family business was fun, exciting, dramatic, not overly adult, all with breath taking art and even got me stoked to see Pete in costume.

Best spidey story in a long time. I may tweet wait tomorrow to tell him. :colbert:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Is any one getting the 1.X issues? As it seems Slott seems capable of being able to write retro Peter pretty well, and the fact that the story has less grandiose about itself does wonders to making me feel like a spidey story.

There's something wrong with me... I think Slott wrote a passable comic! :psyduck:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Suben posted:

Alpha was more of a gently caress-up doofus who thought being a superhero was cool.

Alpha was a bad excuse for a storyline.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

His actual book owned though and he was king of dweebs.

Owned, or just wasn't terrible?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm sure Spock stuffed Massacre away in a secret test tube just like he did with Superior Six.

He dead.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Yup ASM vol.3 #004 was pretty :shepface:.

It was like reading bad fan fiction. Also da fuque? They just start smacking lips at the end??.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Spider... Monkey? What? :stare:

From the stupid bad short lived Marvel Apes line.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Shocker and Electro are missing and a deadly new presence known as Electro-Shock prowls the streets!! Mean while could there be a little Parker on the way? How will the Amazing Spider-Man juggle this deadly new threat and the onset of fatherhood and a beard?!

Guest starring Wolverine Snikt-Bub from the Avenger X-Men team he's in this week.

A 5-part mini event in Amazing Spider-Man that'll change the Spidey universe forever!!

Yo Marvel, Contact me. I'll work for half the pay Slott is on.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I'm beginning to question why I'm still giving money for this crap. It's so badly written.

I think I'm just holding out to see who next takes the helm...

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Well newspaper spider-man is clearly the best spider-man.

Since Miles Morales is taking forever to come out and create an significant impact, I thought I'd delve in "All-new Ultimates". My god, has an uglier more boring book ever come out? Am I alone in this?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Inkspot posted:

It also has way too many characters that fail to accomplish anything of any value, but it's ending soon so Fiffe can get back to making comics for people to enjoy.

I read like the first two issues and just...just stopped caring on all levels. Well at least Fiffe can stop soon.

Jiro posted:

You should go feast your eyes on the Finch art of Ultimatum.

Aye, I remember that. Weird though cause I loved his stuff on Moon knight back in '06. poo poo that made me feel old.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

second arc of Spider-Man and the X-Men is Spidey and his class versus Chameleon and Mojo

I am so excited for this book

Why is Spidey wearing a corset?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Scarlet Spiders is looking to be a lot of fun. Still not digging Jessica's costume change though.

Adding a jacket to a costume it such a bad 90s thing to do. I barely tolerate the hoodie on scarlet spider just because it's so funny to think about.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

...Morlun apparently being married to that universe's Jessica with a full page kiss, is still pretty sexual regardless of who is writing it.

Well done, a kiss is now sexual....

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I just hope this means Spidey can be a Real Actual Avenger in the comics again.

Never got all the love for Spidey being an avenger...:(

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Well Spider-verse was just plain bad now, wasn't it?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

No one thought Captain Marvel came across as a bit of a dick in that avenging spidey issue?

Which I guess is good for the sake of a diverse cast??

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Silk was good, better than spider-verse. Gosh darn it!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Decius posted:

As always when people complain about Hopeless I need to chime in that he wrote X-Force just recently, which was a pretty entertaining series. He can do good stuff if he sets his mind to it. It's just always the question if you get X-Force-Hopeless or Avengers Arena-Hopeless.

And Spencer wrote Superior Foes. Anyone who hates that is suspect anyway.

Superior foes wrapped up far to quickly :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Reminder made Flash Venom good. :colbert:

• Locked thread