Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Bagley; I believe he pencilled Thunderbolts for a while and I liked that a lot.

I associate him so much with the Ultimate Spidey that it was kinda weird to learn he'd been doing art for the main Spider-Man titles in the 1990s, worked on the early Clone Saga and drew the issue with the death of (the actress pretending to be :v:) Aunt May.

Is it fair to call him a definitive Spider artist, along with Ditko, Romita and Romita, Jr.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should I get the Roger Stern omnibus? I've heard it's meant to be good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, you've sold me. I've sent off for a copy of the Stern omnibus.

Probably neither the time nor place, but from that same era, how is Mantlo's run on Hulk? The only Hulk I've read is the first half of PAD's run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Nothing will ever be more 90's than a panel of Solo jumping through a plate glass window firing two pistols. All while shouting out " While Solo lives, TERROR DIES!"

Make it Solo and Cardiac and it'll be more nineties.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

Isn't Grant Morrison considered to be close to insane in all seriousness? It's either him or Frank Miller I heard that about... Because that entire quote just feels unhinged and weird.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ahhh those were the days :allears:

Yep, I followed Astonishing Spider-Man, Essential X-Men (started both with #100, which both had multi-page spreads recapping the entire series up to that point), Mighty World of Marvel (featuring Daredevil and the Hulk), Avengers United (just before it ran JLA/Avengers) and Fantastic Four Adventures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The original "Web Heads" who followed JMS on Amazing were Dan Slott, Zeb Wells, Bob Gale, Todd DeZago and Marc Guggenheim. They were joined by Joe Kelly, Mark Waid and Roger Stern part of the way through, then Quesada did OMIT and Slott took over full time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suben posted:

I hope that means we can get '90s TAS Spidey meeting SHOOOOOOCKEEEEERRRRRR.

Unfortunately, there's already been a Spider-Man story in the last few years called "The Ends of the Earth".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doc Ock gets a new body, and it's an Austrian body-builder (he can even start calling his arms "weldoes") with a stupid haircut in a suit of green and orange armour.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know how I feel about it. It felt gory just for the sake of it...kind of like Ultimate Marvel's Ultimatum. Oddly enough, I think the artist who did OML's art did Ultimatum's too.

David Finch did Ultimatum; OML was Steven McNiven, who did Civil War with Millar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ahhh, ok. I got confused a bit there. I've read Civil War too so I knew I knew the art from somewhere.

I like it a lot, really. Better than the stuff in current ASM...

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure that Finch is basically (along with Jim Lee) the New 52 artist at the moment. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flameingblack posted:

It's likely it's from the 90's era Spider-Man cartoon.

The only comic it made it to was this one in the 90's.

I remember that being a power-up in the PS1/N64 game based on the animated series as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

In my world I'm a multi billionaire. Aren't you? :smug:

"Probably because I never lose. :smug:"

Also, Jameson is his godfather and the Kingpin is his lawyer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Strangling Turkish Spider-Man from 3 Dev Adam in this crossover?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

More accurately, it's how Americans with terrible ears for accents mishear an RP pronunciation of 'ma'am'. It actually sounds closer to 'mom' than 'mum'.

It's sometimes "marm".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I blame Teen Titans.

Do you mean in general or a specific bit?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

In general.

Fair enough, I think I can see that. The only Teen Titans I've read the whole way through was when Geoff Johns wrote it, and then only up as far as just after Infinite Crisis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, if they want to keep Spider-Girl going they could give it to Roger Stern (granted, a writer who was quite strongly against Peter getting married) or J. M. DeMatteis or (to a lesser extent) Peter David.

Edit: Oh, yeah, or G. Willow Wilson.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 11, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody ever revisited Morwen or the Digger (JMS's other original villains) again, did they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Carlyle get killed at the end of his first appearance as well? I think his armour sort of eats him?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Good to hear Newspaper Spidey survived but what this event really needs is Jay Pinkerton Newspaper Spidey showing up in the darkest hour to save the day for the other Spideys. :colbert:

FAPPO!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading some of the David Michelinie stuff from the late 1980s, early 1990s. It's surprising that he was on the book for as long as he was (seven years; he's had second-longest continuous solo run after Stan Lee), because it doesn't feel very distinctive in the same way that longer runs like JMS or Slott do. I don't know if it's because he was overshadowed by the aritsts he worked with (McFarlane and Larsen) or because he was under a lot of pressure from his editors to do stuff a certain way, but I'm not sure if ever really found a voice for the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it's really good. I got the Roger Stern omnibus when it came out earlier this year, having only ever read "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" before, and it's become my second-favourite Spider-Man run after the original one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read DeMatteis's run on Amazing (aside from #400) but if it's even half as good as "Kraven's Last Hunt" I'll certainly have to give it a go. I think they're both underrated writers. I read an interview from a few years ago where Stern said he might have stayed on Spider-Man if he'd been aware that Ron Frenz (who illustrated "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man") was going to be taking over from JRJR as penciller; that would've made for a really good team as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Peter David writing Spider-Man. I know a lot of people aren't keen, but I enjoyed "The Death of Jean DeWolff" the first time I read it.

And, of course, there's the one where he gets stuck in the suburbs and there's nothing for him to swing from. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have never heard people badmouth death of Jean Dewolff, is that a thing?

I was under the impression that it had come under fire for a) trying too hard to be dark and gritty and b) fridging DeWolff, but maybe that's a less widespread response than I thought. :shrug:

It and "Kraven's Last Hunt" are both really dark stories, but I think they're as good as they are because they're dark without being gratuitously so. They'd both be in my top ten list of favourite Spider-Man stories.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 29, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They did it in the animated series as well; the Spider-Man who stopped the burglar (and thus never learned to use his powers responsibly) is a multi-billionaire industrialist and national celebrity who's engaged to Gwen Stacy, has Wilson Fisk as his lawyer and J. Jonah Jameson as his godfather, owns a giant Spider-Man robot, and is so accustomed to winning that he never even considers the possibility of failure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, and didn't it have lasers or miniature rocket launchers as well as web-shooters?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Batgirl inspiration's clear, but my first thought was the short-lived Wonder Woman redesign from the JMS run just before the New 52.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks more like it's been signed by someone called "Tojfy" to me. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've asked this before, but was the "The Non-Mutant Superhero" caption on the covers of that era a joke about Spidey being the biggest non-X-Men property at Marvel, or was it there because X-Men were such a big deal that anything with the word "mutant" on it would sell?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

Ock, however, is a brilliant scientist in his own right and has proven it time and time again. He had a horrible accident happen to him and instead of doing something good, he became selfish. He's more of a polar opposite of Peter than Norman is, but their rivalry has never been about identities. It is that both think the other is wasting their talent. At some points in his life, you could probably say Norman was insane and not in full control of his actions. I think that is much less of a case with Otto. Even in the often cited "I will cure you from this unknowable disease" during the Clone Saga of Ock's great heart, the ending has him admitting he's only doing it so he can kill Spider-Man later in life, and then Kaine just rips his head off or whatever anyway. I actually think Ock has stayed more true to his roots than Norman, and that's probably because he's rarely used outside of the spider-books.

One of my favourite Ock stories is actually from JMS's run, when he fights the crooked business executive who nicked the design for his arms.

There's one great scene where Ock's fight with the other bad guy wrecks a hotel lobby, and Peter has to hold up the entire building before it collapses on the civilians; Ock helps him until everyone is out safely, then says, "You are not a civilian. Goodbye." and leaves him to get crushed by falling rubble.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

Peter was a TA while working on an unspecified master's degree back in the 80s with Stern. In the Byrne/Mackie reboot he was a lab assistant for like 2 issues.

I remember he was employed at this major R&D firm around the same time MJ was a supermodel, but then during the story arc where Mary Jane has a stalker who fakes her death in a plane crash (it's a really bad story that ultimately goes nowhere), I'm fairly sure he actually lost his job because all his ideas and research were too innovative.

After that, he gets booted out of his fancy penthouse because MJ's agent nicked all her money and did a runner on them, and he ends up moving into a swinging bachelor's pad with Joe Robertson's son, who helps him get back into the dating game (the whole thing reads kinda like a dry-run for OMD, in retrospect).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Ron Frenz. I'm not sure where he fits in on the Definitive List of the All-Time Greatest Spider-Man Artists, but I like his art for Spider-Man. Roger Stern said he might have stayed on ASM after #252 if he'd known ahead of time that Frenz was lined up to replace Romita, Jr., which could have been fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I hope the next version of Peter involves him growing a neckbeard and wearing a Spider-fedora.

"Welcome to my world of Spider-Atheism, feminazis!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waterhaul posted:

Well that's just big two comics.

Pretty much every hero caps out in their mid 20's to early 30's with the exception of say Strange or Tony who are perpetually kind of in their 40's. You're not supposed to think about realistically how much stuff they go through. They just reflect their audience.

I remember reading a while ago that Strange was introduced in the 1960s as having been born in 1930, and they've stuck to that ever since, with the excuse that his magic has sustained his youth. Probably no longer an official explanation, though.

Isn't Frank Castle still a Vietnam veteran, or has he been "upgraded" to the Gulf or Iraq?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should've followed cartoon precedent and used Spider-Carnage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read much of Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man, but the more I read about it (mainly in this thread), the more he comes off as a less sexist-seeming version of Steven Moffat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aye, I believe he spent a lot of time in the UK in the 1970s and became a fan as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but Roger Stern was one of those guys, wasn't he? And Roger Stern also thought it was a bad idea for Peter Parker to get married.

Personally, I don't know what to believe any more.

• Locked thread