Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually Roger Stern stated he might have considered marrying Peter off, just not to Mary Jane.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably his OC.

So... Peter Parker would have married Monica Rambeau?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Possibly, but Byrne's gone on rants about how tiny the comic buying audience is in the past.

He can't see past his own audience and it messes with his perspective.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Tell that to Bob Banner and Peter Palmer.

Peter Palmer... That's Super-Man, right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really, really like JMS Spidey - spider-totems and all - up until John Romita, Jr. leaves the book. That first half of his run is maybe my third or fourth favourite stretch by a writer on a Spider-Man book (the first two been Lee/Ditko/Romita and Roger Stern).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

Every once in a while a writer wants to get away from using the old rogues gallery and makes their own villains. It's a pretty common direction to go in comic runs. Most of Morrison's work on Batman and Batman & Robin falls under that, for instance.

Morrison's New X-Men as well, come to think of it.

I think the only classic X-Men bad guy he used was Magneto.

Or Xorn.

Or Xorn's evil secret brother pretending to be Xorn.

Whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

There's one story by Lee/Romita, Sr. where Adrian Toomes comes back as the Vulture, and pummels Blackie Drago, who had taken Toomes' suit when the original thought he was dying. Spidey hurts his arm saving a kid during their fight, and Vulture uses the advantage to beat Spider-Man. At the last second, Spidey plays dead to get close to Toomes, and wrecks his flight suit, but still - they managed to believably turn 70-year old Vulture into a credible threat. I can't remember the last time old Toomes was seen that way.

Roger Stern was a big fan of the Vulture as a credibly enemy - Vulture was his favourite classic villain, and really the only one he used more than once when he was writing the comic (other than that he put Spider-Man up against villains he wouldn't normally fight like Nitro and, most famously, the Juggernaut, and new characters like the original Hobgoblin).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

I don't know Reed Richards' backstory very well so I'm sort of curious about whether or not he's typically been portrayed more like Tony Stark-- somebody who had the material luxury to be able to experiment and pursue his whims at his leisure, or if he had more of a hard-luck background.

Reed Richards's dad was a world-renowned super-genius scientist like him, but abandoned him at a young age to go and live in the distant future as a high-tech barbarian warlord.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there was a Howard Mackie plot involving Mysterio coming back from his confrontation with Daredevil; it sort of tied into the Senator Ward storyline but I don't think it was ever satisfactorily resolved.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dead No More, Part VI: The Clone Conspiracy, Chapter LXVII: Sins of the Fathers Part IV: Neogenic Nightmare Part XVII

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I've been reading my Marvel Masterworks: Spider-man issues again, and I always forget how loving goofy Green Goblin's first appearance is. He convinces a movie producer, while in full Goblin costume, to make a movie starring Spider-man. And Spider-man is ok with it.

The thing about that scene which I thought was oddest was how, before the Goblin says he can get Spider-Man to play himself, the producer is talking about how he'll get one of the Beatles to do it.

Of course, this is only a few months (?) after Reed Richards lost all of the Fantastic Four's money because he made bad investments and they only recovered financially by starring in a Fantastic Four movie produced by Namor, who had bought a production company with sunken treasure from a shipwreck.

The Question IRL posted:

Also shouldn't Spider-man's web shooters not work underwater? If so that's a neat idea.

I loved that Annual. The Sinister Six make Spidey take them on in six Lion's Den matches. And he wins.

Another thing I only realised recently is that there's something like 25 years between the first and second appearances of the Sinister Six operating as a unified supervillain team-up. They're in that annual, which I think is 1964, then I don't think they're back until Michelinie is writing in 1989 or so.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 26, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another thing that I remember surprising me the first time I read any Lee/Ditko Spider-Man (having only been familiar with the Spider-Man '94 cartoon and the first Sam Raimi movie) was that in those issues, Doctor Octopus is effectively his arch-enemy. Goblin has some big stories but even after he discovers Peter's secret identity, he's not his biggest villain. He doesn't become that until he kills Gwen, and even after that story, he's dead and gone for about 25 years until the third act of the Clone Saga. Meanwhile, Ock is the first villain who beats Spider-Man, the first who unmasks him, the one who organises and leads the Sinister Six, and he's the one who's was revealed as the true villain in the Master Planner storyline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

That's the rumor, yeah. Supposedly Ditko wanted him to turn out to just be Some Guy, which is more realistic. But not only would that be way lamer, they'd already done that several times with previous villains.

I hadn't heard about that, though I did know that Ditko's meant to have persuaded Lee to make the Goblin a human criminal in a costume instead of sticking with Lee's original idea, which was that he was an actual goblin who was released from an ancient Egyptian sarcophagus.

Didn't Ditko subsequently backtrack and say that a redheaded guy with Norman's hairstyle he'd drawn into the background of one of Jameson's social gatherings was Norman Osborn and he'd always intended him to be the Goblin?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

And that should've been fine. But noooo.

Yeah, and that was, what, a two or three part story from the mid-1970s? You never really stop to think about how the Clone Saga was built entirely on a story from 20 years earlier which hadn't really been revisited in the interim, and came out at a time when trade paperbacks just weren't a thing, so woe betide you understanding where these clones were coming from if you weren't up on two decades of Spider-Man mythology.

It's sort of like how you got all these Doctor Who stories in the 1980s written or influenced by the input of turbo-fans which were sequels to stories from the 1960s that a) had never been released on home video; and b) were often believed to have been wiped from the BBC tape archives. (There's one story from 1986 which is a sequel to a 1966 story which, at the time, was believed to no longer exist.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

It also is a callback to a very early issue of Amazing when Pete and Flash were still in high school and one of the teachers had them try to settle their differences in the gym's boxing ring. Which sounds horrifically sadistic if the teacher knew anything about the jock/nerd bully/victim relationship the two of them had.

Ah, yes, the "Tribute to Teen-Agers" issue, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Doc Ock as Spider-Man's arch-enemy better than the Green Goblin. I think a lot of Osborn being Peter's worst enemy is retroactively applied and if you go back and read a lot of those Silver Age and Bronze Age issues, Doc Ock is still treated as the "main" bad guy.

I'm actually struggling to think of Spider-Man villains who were really good and had real staying power who were created after the 1960s. There's Hobgoblin, maybe Hammerhead and possibly the Jackal if you count him separately from Miles Warren. Who else?

• Locked thread