Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pleasently surprised at how Anna Maria and the Avengers were handled (despite making the avengers look like total morons), outside of that the book was unimpressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Year Zero is selling tons on Batman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First Look at the 100th Anniversary Special Spider-Man 1

quote:

“We’re jumping into a story already in progress for this issue,’” explains writer Sean Ryan. “We’re treating this issue as if it was the last issue in a long arc that has been running in the Spider-Man books for a while.

The concept is cool as hell and how I hope the Future's End issues over DC will be, but the story sounds kind of silly (Kingpin owns a tech enhanced Venom symbiote that allows him to merge with the cyberspace) :v:

Oh and the art is fantastic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Assuming that is true, why bring Peter back in the first place then?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spider Gwen gets an ongoing

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If the villians weren't so stupidly overpowered, Slott toned down the killings and wouldn't put a scene per issue (at least) of the Spidermen getting chumped this would be a good story.

Hell, I'd pay good money for an ongoing of Spidermen team ups.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Verna killed the Spider Girl with the blue leotard

But while the killing wasn't so bad this issue, is the overall tone of the issue that hurts it. The things that are moving the plot forward are due Silk and Jessica while Peter is constantly depicted like being incompetent by making a lot of wrong choices.

Plus the destruction of Leopardon is sort of a slap in the face for people that enjoys a more lighthearted Spiderman.

The only genuinely good thing of the issue was the Miles intermission, now that is the Spider Verse I'd like to read.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A question about Spiderverse, does 616 Peter hold a title like Kaine, Silk and Benji?

Because he hasn't done anything of note so far, the only thing he could brag about (killing Morlun) was retroactively made pointless.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well before OMD he was the one with the powers of The Other. But then he sold his marriage to Satan and that apparently never happened, since he went back to mechanical webshooters.

Edit:Actually I guess he does technically hold a title: The Designated Protagonist/Guy Whose Name Is On The Book.

Given how things are going, I have the nagging feeling that Spiderverse will be resolved with minimal input from Peter and instead being solved by Silk (she's the one doing pretty much everything to move the plot forward).

Or if Peter does solve the conflict is gonna feel like an asspull. I don't know what is worse.

Waterhaul posted:

Peter would not brag about killing Morlun.

That was a manner of speaking.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really enjoyed the Spider Punk and Ansansi story but I have to say I'm very dissapointed at the Mexican Spider one.

It feels so half baked, the dialogue is incredibly stiff and unnatural (only tv caricatures speak like that). The art was fun and there's some potential there though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Skwirl posted:

It was probably written by someone who mostly writes in English but knows Spanish, trying to make a script that would make sense in both languages.

Weirdest thing is, the writer is a fellow mexican. He even lives on Mexico City. So who knows whatever hell happened there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The idea isn't as popular nowadays though.

The last time that happened was a few years ago on the peak of Mistico popularity

Good time waster.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JediTalentAgent posted:

Years ago I took a Latin American History class and there was actually a small section we covered on masked luchadore figures operating as sort of social activists and took on a 'real world' superhero status to an extent. I think part of a video we watched on the subject included a segment of one or two being part of a protest.

I'm not sure how big a thing it is/was in reality, though.

Is real, luchadores were BIG here on the 70's and 80's. So far there hasn't been anyone that gets closer to the popularity and influence el Santo had (Mistico was the closer and we all know how that ended) but there's certain spikes here and there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ben... :smith:

And once again, Peter does poo poo to move the plot forward.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 21, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah if only the made a point of highlighting how Peter isn't the main character and had the characters discuss this out loud and title the other important characters in the story.

Well, I'm reading a book called Amazing Spiderman so I was expecting for him to be an important part of the story. As the story stands now you could remove Peter and the story wouldn't have any significative changes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Pete is there for motivation and team spirit, he's not there for punching.

Whom he has actually motivated though?

The other Japanese Spidermen were the ones who helped Supaidaman, May doesn't wanna know anything about him, Spiderpunk respects Superior more, Spider UK was the one helping Spiderman India, the Scarlet Spiders did their own thing (same as Miguel), Spider Gwen (stupidly) supported Silk and the one thing Peter should've done (getting uncle Ben back on the game) was done by Spock.

The fact that as soon Peter got involved everything went to poo poo doesn't help either.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm still pretty underwhelmed by Spider Verse but the epilogue was pretty nice, I assume we will see Ock return eventually (whether is as Superior or Octavius is anyone guess).

Although turning Karn into the Weaver through a stable time loop is kind of a downer story. Everything will repeat forever and ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Slott about Spiderverse

• Locked thread