Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Wouldn't he still be Seamus O'Mustache or whatever?

If he had the gauntlet, you know he'd magic his face back to Normannormal, because he'd be so powerful he wouldn't care about hiding (also: to gently caress with Peter). Or just make it literally into a Goblin because he's friggin' crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gatts posted:

Nah. Let's forget the classic villains. Let's introduce something new. Have Peter lose his sense of responsibility, gather all his enemies onto The Bridge that Killed Gwen Stacy, then blow it up with them on it, and say he's done with this poo poo and move forward.

If we can be gifted with Franklin Richards, Valeria, Future Foundation, new X-Men recruits, Avengers like Ex-Nihilo, Starbrand, Smasher, Manifold, etc. that are good...gently caress the classic poo poo. Give a new direction and new blood.
To be fair, the last time anyone tried 'a new direction and new blood', it was Brand New Day. Whoever tries that again had better know what they're doing.

TwoPair posted:

I don't think Spider-Verse is the greatest story, but the overreaction I see to it here is insane. You'd think Dan Slott personally broke in to peoples' homes and kicked their dogs. That said, I did think the scene where Morlun walks up on Mayday was a little poorly done.

Also is it strange that I really liked how much I hated TV Ultimate Spider-Man? I mean, I really dislike the current cartoon, but somehow the fact that he was also awful in the book and Miles called him out on the cutaways made me happy.
Well considering at least part of the buildup is literally the destruction of some of the most popular alternate incarnations of the chracter, the villains are painfully generic (and straight out of a Vampire:The Masquerade sourcebook, apparently), coupled with shilling of Silk and plot holes you can drive a Spider-Mobile through (why the hell wouldn't Ezekiel/Old Man Spidey explain to the other Spiders what the significance of the Bride, Other and Scion are, especially since they already had one of them in their midst before 616 Peter showed up? So Ezekiel could give half-complete exposition as he was dying.) I'll grant that most of the stuff not written by Dan Slott's been good (and the fact Slott's not writing it probably has something to do with it), but at a basic level I fundamentally dislike the story and dislike the spinoffs b association. If you're advertising 'every Spider-Man ever' as a selling point, I kind of expect it to be, while still having dramatic stakes, ultimately a light-hearted story with the various Spider-folks swapping bad jokes as they punch out the bad guys, not A SPIDER DIES ON EVERY PAGE. A celebration of Spidey in all his different incarnations. This? This just feels mean-spirited to the whole mythos.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

How does BND constitute "a new direction"? It brought a bunch of dead characters back (but not Gwen, because that would be a change) and basically reset the comic to 1985. If anything, that's an old direction.

So does anybody know what the deal is with Noob Saibot on the cover of Team-Up #3?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

That could be a Spidey who kept the Dusk costume, or it's a fakeout cover and they'll put the real character in when it actually prints.

I think it's supposed to be a 'mystery Spider' mentioned in solicits. I suppose you're only supposed to find out who when you get the book. My money's on grown up Benjy from the 'last Spider-Girl story'.

Considering DeFalco apparently didn't even know he was writing this story till somebody told him, I guess maybe even he didn't know who! :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Well that's disappointing. I like Spider-Man in a teacher role.

They didn't even remember he is actually a qualified teacher in the book though. How can you remember that time Toad teamed up with Frog-Man but not remember that?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, looking at the 'renew your vows' teaser, is it me or does young Mary* look a bit old? I don't mean in the 'literally just a tiny adult' way (well, not *just* like that), but shouldn't she be something like a year old in comic book time, between OMD and now? For that matter, how old would Baby May be in Marvel Years?

*Going from the names for the Parker kids given in that Sensational Spider-Man issue with God and to distinguish her from Baby May.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So... Dan Slott's a) apparently quitting the internet (well, message boards) and b) explains that apparently Silk got a solo book because of SO MUCH fan mail, you guys!

I like how apparently he justifies it by pointing to the massive sales for ASM 1...despite the fact that a) It was a new #1 issue for one of the most popular characters in comics today who had just had a movie release, which also had like 20 variant covers to boot b) it was also packaged into Loot Crate, so a large percentage of sales was due to people who essentially bought it by accident, and c) this was Silk's debut, so people WEREN'T BUYING IT FOR HER. Any interest was due to the mystery instead of her as a character. Not to mention the whole event tie-in that's linked into her origin as well.

It's especially jarring since an actual case of fan support for a character (Spider-Gwen, natch) took place nearly concurrently with her creation. I mean, he might have a point, it's very difficult for us outsiders to understand the internal politics of the industry as someone who does it as his day job, but I've not seen the same widespread support online that Spider-Gwen has.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dreqqus posted:

I just wish he'd have some sort of sitcomish head injury and go back to being the Dan Slott that wrote the first of his She-Hulk run, and Spidey/Torch. But that Dan is dead now.

I agree. The difference between the writing of that Dan Slott and the Dan Slott we have now is remarkable, it's almost...like...they're two different people...MY GOD! Some dying, awful comics writer somehow swapped his mind with Dan Slott, to become...THE SUPERIOR SLOTT! Superior Spider-Man wasn't a cheap idea for a story that'd generate a bunch of controversy, he was taunting us by telling us exactly what he did! The fiend! :tinfoil:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/06/tomorrows-amazing-spider-man-will-break-things-get-offline-remain-unspoiled/

Place your bets, folks! What'll the big twist be?!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It's stupid. Why is Peter Spider-man? an alternate Uncle Ben shows up on the last page.
WOW! Who could have seen THAT coming? Except literally everyone on the internet was waiting for him to show up in one form or another.

Waterhaul posted:

I refuse to believe that Slott had an arc called Ends of the Earth for any other reason :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

But Shocker wasn't even IN that arc, was he? Wasted opportunity!

Edit: Good news, everyone!

Tom DeFalco posted:

Attention all SPIDER-GIRL fans, please mark January 21 on your calendars. SPIDER-VERSE TEAM-UP #3 goes on sale and features an all-new SPIDER-GIRL story by Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema and me.

We want this book to sell out and go back to press so please spread the word. Let’s show MARVEL that our girl still has an audience

I know some of you aren’t very happy with certain recent developments, but—TRUST ME—this story may ease your fears and bring a smile to your face! ( And, perhaps, a tear to your eyes.)

Thanks for being there!
Tom D.

Here's hoping it works out this time, Tom. :unsmith:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Darn and I was hoping the twist would be that everyone gets incursion'd, then the camera zooms out to reveal Uatu standing there saying "And that's what would happen if I got shot in the head and Spider-Man got mind-whammied by my eyeball", revealing the entire last 4 months of Marvel continuity to be a What If.

Nononono, clearly the reveal would be Uatu explaining 'this is what would happen if Peter was an idiot who sold his marriage to Satan.' A perfect lead-in to Renew your Vows.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really like Mayday as a concept and I purchased MC2 Spider-Girl for a very long time. But Tom D has such atrocious dialogue. I mean I know all teenagers written by 40 something adults sound bad, but his sound way worse.

I'll still take that over latter-day Slott.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...apparently SUPAIDAMAN got killed this issue.

Why even live?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I know you're going to be outraged and :argh: the entire event but can you at least read the book before giving out.

I saw the page where Leoparodon gets wrecked, which still counts as chumped in my book, although hey they actually spare Supaidaman, well done Slott for managing to hold off on one singular murder! Having seen the whole thing I'm still not impressed. Spider-Girl continues to apparently be a designated punching bag for Morluns. Has she managed anything on her own this whole story? She wound up fleeing from Daemos, and then got smacked around not once but twice by Morlun in a single panel with little apparent effort. Ugh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Yeah the event is going to for sure end with May in a puddle of her own blood, crying, and not go with basic narrative structure and have the hero finally give the villain their comeuppance.

Like what do you want? For Spider Girl to snap Morluns neck or something?

Absolutely not, I'd like her not to get slapped away like a fly or just run off every time she fights a Morlun. I get the story has to have Morlun get away with Benjy, but at least make him expend some token effort for it. the jobbing at this point is just ridiculous, for all of the spiders (save SpOck-and even his triumph got negated by the clone reveal).

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Verna killed the Spider Girl with the blue leotard

But while the killing wasn't so bad this issue, is the overall tone of the issue that hurts it. The things that are moving the plot forward are due Silk and Jessica while Peter is constantly depicted like being incompetent by making a lot of wrong choices.

Plus the destruction of Leopardon is sort of a slap in the face for people that enjoys a more lighthearted Spiderman.

The only genuinely good thing of the issue was the Miles intermission, now that is the Spider Verse I'd like to read.

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with you, but I agree with you.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

There's so much wasted potential with this, like everything Slott does. He really needs to move onto being an Editor and just give better writers cross-over events he wants done, and he can pimp out how cool and awesome they are without being obnoxious and arrogant about it.

For example: Why don't we see Spider-Ock get derailed when he finds a universe where Norman Osbourne has taken over Peter's body and created his own Superior Spider-Man?

e: Real answer, because Doc Ock is Slott's spirit animal and thinks that Ock is the greatest Spider-Man villain of all time.
:agreed:

But who would take over for him? Gage? Yost? And I doubt Slott will let anything save the hand of the reaper pry him away from his dream job. Plus being in an editorial position doesn't seem to stop some people from ruining the comics anyway.

Is it wrong I'd have been perfectly happy with JMS still writing married Spidey (I think he's made statements he'd have been happy to do that indefinitely) to this day? THANKS QUESADA.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A question about Spiderverse, does 616 Peter hold a title like Kaine, Silk and Benji?

Because he hasn't done anything of note so far, the only thing he could brag about (killing Morlun) was retroactively made pointless.

Well before OMD he was the one with the powers of The Other. But then he sold his marriage to Satan and that apparently never happened, since he went back to mechanical webshooters.

Edit:Actually I guess he does technically hold a title: The Designated Protagonist/Guy Whose Name Is On The Book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Peter would not brag about killing Morlun.

Well, you'd think he'd have mentioned 'Oh yeah, his weakness is radiation' when Spider-UK mentioned he was the only guy to have ever defeated one, though. They explained specifically that was why he was so important. The knowledge of how he did it might have been useful.

And you know, it makes more sense than Silk stumbling into a nuclear wasteland at random by plot contrivance the workings of the Master Weaver plot contrivance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

The series has very clearly been Peter(s) over his head and barely having 5 minutes to think about what's going on while trying to avoid being eaten. They've lucked out on having a world where they can hide out for more than two minutes, then they can start thinking of a plan and how to do things.

As well as deal with whatever magic nonsense is going on too.

They seemed pretty calm right up till they went off to grab SpOck and pals, you'd think he'd have remembered 'how I beat Morlun the first time round' and shared that information before that point. Especially since they explicitly explained he was the only one to do so, that's what made him special.

Peter should have been thinking about what made him different in that regard, and how that could be applied. He's not an idiot! Sure, the Inheritors respawn, but considering radiation debilitated Morlun to the point he could be killed by regular bullets, that's information that could save lives.
Ezekiel should have shared his knowledge before they went on the SpOck rescue mission, and explained why Silk should stay in the safe zone, as well as Benjy's significance. They had all three of the Spider-Trinity in one place, that is the exact time to explain what the deal is!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Read Spider-verse #2.

Like most of the tie-ins, better than the main book.

My thoughts:
-Spider-Punk story was excellent. I kind of got a Protomen vibe from the visuals and tone. All in all, a great story. Props to you, Vulpes Vulpes.
-The Anansi story was odd, but I still liked it, especially the increasingly put-upon Spider-UK.
-Mexican Spider-Man was also good, in its own way, but it didn't really set the world on fire.
-Dan Slott's stories...were actually pretty good. I'm not really a fan of the 'Morlun shows up, eats Spider-Man' premise at all, but I found the Marvel vs. Capcom joke amusing. As for 'the little things'..I really liked that story. The two Peters bantered well, even if the Secret Wars setup was fairly obvious, between the namedroping of the original and the focus on Renew Your Vows Peter's wedding ring. I hope the Spider-Army is intended as a distraction from the actual plan in the main event though, because 'throw Spider-Men at the problem til it falls over' doesn't really seem like the sort of planning you'd expect from Peter or Doc Ock for that matter. My inner continuity nerd is also slightly cheesed off by the fact that RYV Peter has mechanical webshooters, since, assuming his past bar encountering Morlun (ugh, that retcon is so stupid) is identical to 616 Peter, he should still have organic webshooters from the Spider Queen, since a) Slott knows she exists and b) the organic webshooters were undone by OMD - which never happened there. But I guess I can overlook that for a well-told story. The two Spidey's (I'm actually curious what Black Suit Spidey's deal is-is he meant to be OMIT Spidey, ie cohabiting with MJ in the black costume earlier in the relative timeline? Slott has genuinely made me want to know more) were both well written (I liked Black Suit Spidey worrying he's the racist Spider-Man). Yes, I praised a Dan Slott story, try not to faint. Hopefully Renew Your Vows will be more in line with this (and Spider-Man/Human Torch) than his other recent offerings.

What annoys me about the whole thing is why the main event isn't more like this, with the alternate Spideys bouncing off each other in relatively lighthearted adventures.

But it has convinced me to give Renew Your Vows a look. Here's hoping it's up to Slott's old standards.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Here's a preview for ASM #13.

What the hell is going on with that baby? The proportions are all wrong.

Also, here's a preview for Spider-Verse Team-Up #3.

Interesting that Deflaco & Frenz are not only using the narration captions Slott did (which they themselves called out as wrong), they have her calling her brother 'Benny'. I'm guessing those mistakes are deliberate, since it makes no sense for them to point out a mistake and then make it themselves.

Also, on a more positive note: Spider-Ma'am. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Hey look it's a page of May Parker and a bunch of actually good characters

Which May do you mean, there's two of them in that preview.

Waterhaul posted:

Shame about the art and writing though.

You are Wrong and I want to hit you with a brick.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

No one ever refers to Aunt May as anything other than Aunt May! :colbert:

Aunt might as well be her first name

And nobody refers to Spider-Girl as just May Parker. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

She's not my Spider-Girl
But she was the first and best selling (130+ issues, so she must have doing something right).

But Anya is fine too. :unsmith:

Die Laughing posted:

Nope. Being the one time fruit pies didn't distract a villain because he'd rather consume the hero is just fine on its own. Slott knows his Hostess ads. Dude brought the Ding-A-Ling family into the 616.
Also he had Spidey actually defeat the Super Apes with fruit pies one time. Oh Spider-Man/Human Torch, you were the best miniseries. :allears:

Metal Loaf posted:

I like Ron Frenz. I'm not sure where he fits in on the Definitive List of the All-Time Greatest Spider-Man Artists, but I like his art for Spider-Man. Roger Stern said he might have stayed on ASM after #252 if he'd known ahead of time that Frenz was lined up to replace Romita, Jr., which could have been fun.
You could probably get a good thread out of comics runs that never were...

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Because I'm an idiot and the anarchic/arachnid pun didn't even occur to me. I also wrote a Spider-Man comic where not one web is shot either, which, in retrospect, is ridiculous.
Well there's always the ongoing you'll get.

Right?

Right?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 15, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

When, relative to the overall event, did you get to define Hobie as Spider-Punk/Anarchic Spider-Man? Looking at the main books, it seems like Slott was assuming he was British (he used the word 'quid' and his costume seems vaguely like Spider-UK).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

evilmiera posted:

On another note, is there any kind of comic in the vein of Marvel Adventures Spidey or Mary Jane Loves Spider-man that knocking about lately? The whole Doc Ock thing mostly left me confused so I never followed that line of events and now I'm not seeing much of a reason to jump back on.

Not lately, no. More's the pity.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Scarlet Spiders #3 Preview.

Looks like Ben came out on top in Dying Wish. Interesting. I mean I know they hinted he'd gone through some of the same stuff 616 Peter did since he took over with the stealth suit thing, but weird to get that much confirmation.

Between that and SpOck apparently the only Superior Spider-Man in the multiverse, does that mean every other Otto that tried that plan failed?

I fear he's not going to last long.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I will gladly sacrifice Kaine if Ben ends up staying around with the better costume but I'm pretty sure Ben will die and Mayday is going to hang around and you can't have both of them with the same costume.

I'm surprised to see you think Spider-Girl is going to stick around, I thought you hated her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I don't think Tom DeFalco is a good writer or should be anywhere on a book post 1999 but there isn't inherently anything wrong with the character if they were given a good creative them and a relevant supporting cast.
I can see your point, I think a new creative team could definitely draw in some new readers. I mean Stan Lee stopped writing ASM at what, 100 issues? But I don't know if Marvel would be willing to put new writers on it, or for that matter DeFalco and Frenz would be willing to let somebody else do it after Slott's shall we say controversial handling of the character. I'm not sure who would be a good pick for that, honestly. Sean McKeever wrote her before and has proven he can write teen drama well with Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, but I doubt he's a big name draw. I don't think any of the big names would want such a niche book. G. Willow Wilson would probably be great, but I don't know how busy she is with other stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Not really. The book was rebooted in the 90's and Ben replaced him. He was brought back and Ben was killed and then the book was rebooted again in the early 00's with MJ getting "killed" so he could be single for a while.

What's the JMS run where he resolves his marital problems (at least til OMD) and holds down a teaching job, chopped liver?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ben... :smith:

And once again, Peter does poo poo to move the plot forward.
Well at least DeFalco's established that this Spider-Girl is not the one from MC2. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event there's a MC2 spinoff in Secret Wars (which they'd probably give to him), he'll completely ignore Spider-Verse as far as Mayday is concerned. I mean...she HAS to be there, right? She's MC2's flagship character (well, maybe runner-up to J2).

Also I guess Ben Reilly might not be dead? We never saw his body and his last thought was 'I think there's a way out of this'...

Not to mention the rather antimclimatic Jobbing of Solus to Kaine, who then gets jobbed in turn. What?! Solus ate Captain Universe & fragged Leopardon, while Kaine couldn't defeat Daemos at the outset even with him channeling the Other, and now boom, he's just drops Solus immediately?. And then Morlun kills(?) Kaine, who just killed the aforementioned guy who ate Captain Universe. A little consistency would be nice. Also: Silk is terrible and Spider-Gwen uncharacteristically enables her stupidity. Then freaking Spider-Ock is the one to talk Spider-Ben into action-dammit, that's the one thing 616 Peter could do that none of the alternate Spideys in the vault could, since they weren't Peter Parker, and Slott STILL gives SpOck the job! Then Slott shoves in the hackneyed 'THE DIE IS CAST' meme the internet was so fond of, only for Peter to steal the Amazing Friends' catchphrase. And we're off to the final battle we've already seen in Spider-Verse #2.

Ugh. I get the feeling Slott wanted to do a big last hurrah of the Spiders, but he's rather epically fumbled the ball.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah if only the made a point of highlighting how Peter isn't the main character and had the characters discuss this out loud and title the other important characters in the story.

Um...he's still the protagonist that the readers are likely too be most familiar with, and he's done nothing than literally any other Spider could do. Why is he even here? There's two things he, specifically, could have done within the context of the story (convince Ben to join the fight and ID the inheritors' weakness to radiation) that Slott instead gives to his own pet characters.

The nearest analogy to this I can think of is that Brazilian Megaman comic where the writer intended to create his own original character and literally take over the comic, just using the established name as a springboard for his own stories.

Waterhaul posted:

Pete is there for motivation and team spirit, he's not there for punching.

Except it seems like he's provided neither! It was Otto who provided Uncle Ben the motivation to get back into the fight. There seems to be exactly nothing that indicates why Peter should be the leader, except oh, he punched Otto in the face. Even the fact he was apparently the only one to face an inheritor & live has had no effect on things.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Uh where is that coming from? I just re-read the Spider-Girl/Ben story in Team-Up and I didn't see anything to suggest it is some other non-MC2 May.

She uses the same narration in ASM #8 (which DeFalco and Frenz both called out as being inconsistent with 130+ issues, among other things), refers to her brother as 'Benny' instead of 'Benjy', and even states basically 'in an infinite multiverse, I hope there's an alternate me eating wheatcakes with her family right now'. The only way it could be more obvious would be if MC2 Mayday and her family showed up on panel, but DeFalco probably couldn't get away with that. If nothing else, it creates reasonable doubt.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

Eh, that was my pet theory earlier. For example, Ultimate Universe was misidentified with another number. In a later issue (I think the recap of Spider-Verse Team-Up or something) they re-IDed it as the correct number.

Maybe in DeFalco's own mind. But Spider-Verse couldn't be more clear that these are the actual Spider-Men from their respective verses.

Benjy and Benny are both sort for Benjamin. It isn't like the baby has been called some completely unrelated name like John.

Best analogy is what Steve Gerber did with Howard the Duck-he spun off the 'real' Howard into his own character (Leonard the Duck), leaving a clone behind to be Howard in 616.

Besides, Slott was the one to make the initial continuity cockups on Spider-Girl. Not really surprising DeFalco took that and ran with it. It's a much more elegant retcon of the butchering of her character than say, Adam Beechen's fumbling to try and fix Cassandra Cain.

Waterhaul posted:

DeFalco doing that all time reach for a No Prize.
Eh, I'll take it. Besides, Slott did it first with She-Hulk for something much less damaging to the character than killing off her supporting cast. Turnabout is fair play.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but that doesn't explain why they would need synthetic Spider totems when they can just go eat more Captain Condors.

Because they do need to eat Spider-Totems. The initial appearance of Morlun explained it as him needing to eat totems of every type, and it just so happened that he was running low on Spidey energy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Knowing Slott I'm sure he'll find a way to keep his self-insert character around and coexist with Peter.

Yep, that seems likely.

Question: what is the point of Spider-Verse? I mean, it seems like all these alternate Spideys will go home only to get incursion'd. I really don't see how this ties into Secret Wars or the incursions, despite Slott claiming it would fit. Hell, we know at least character (Spider-UK) will make it through Spider-Verse only to die in Time Runs Out. It just seems exceptionally poorly-timed.

Honestly, for a Doctor Who fan, Slott should have taken a look at The Day of The Doctor for how to do a big celebration of a franchise without bloating it and ruining everything. Just pick one or two alternate Spideys (Peter, Miles, and one or two others) on a smaller-scale adventure, then break out the army of Spideys for some big gently caress yeah moment, rather than have them be annihilated piecemeal. You could have had tie-ins and team-ups going on, just having other Spideys teaming up as a warm-up for the big finale.

I genuinely wish we could have got Spider-Men 2 over this event.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

Were we talking about pretty much any other character, I'd probably agree with you, but if editorial really wanted a Gwen Stacy alive in 616 again, she would have come back after BND.

Except that predated the Webb films where Emma Stone made her popular again as well as Spider-Gwen herself.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind in the least if 616 Peter got replaced with an alive Ultimate Peter. Trade in 616 Aunt May too. Miles, Peter, and Gwen; Teenage Spider People would be some great fun. I'd put all the continuity of my Spider-Man collection on the shelf for something new and exciting.
I could live with that if they at least gave 616 Peter a half decent ending and addressed the 'sold marriage to Satan' deal.

Castomira posted:

I am, and if editorial wouldn't go for it during their most infamous moment of profoundly asinine fuckery, when their objective was to do everything in their power to torpedo Pete's relationship with MJ, I don't think they'd do it now. At least, I hope they wouldn't.

Of course, I'm also hoping that Spider-Gwen's reality will turn out to be a gimmick universe where Elektra watches over Hell's Kitchen and Peggy Carter got the super-serum (and so on, and so forth,) so I'm not really arguing in good faith so much as trying to convince myself.
But you know, Spider-Gwen didn't exist and hadn't gained her own book from positive fan reaction back then. Gwen Stacy as she was in the 616 is not Spider-Gwen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Remember when editorial was super excited about bringing Harry Osborn back, and everyone was like "We lost such a great Spider-man supporting character when he died, now we can tell good stories again and ditch all this post-90s bullshit!"

Where's Harry now?
Well at least one good thing about BND is that it actually recognised that the existing supporting cast had kind of contracted a bit and merited expansion. Unfortunately, their attempts to expand it kind of sucked balls, especially since they threw out Mary Jane completely.

Gatts posted:

I'm selfish and way past being a teen and there are enough teen spideys. Give me Papa Peter married to MJ and move on.
:agreed:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

How old is 616-Peter supposed to be? Early thirties?

Around that ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Well that's just big two comics.

Pretty much every hero caps out in their mid 20's to early 30's with the exception of say Strange or Tony who are perpetually kind of in their 40's. You're not supposed to think about realistically how much stuff they go through. They just reflect their audience.

Didn't Didio say their audience was primarily men in their 40s?

• Locked thread