Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Waterhaul posted:

I'd read a book/ongoing with Spider-Punk.

Sheldon Vella and I have a story about him in Spider-Verse #2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Well you've just convinced me to buy Spider-Verse #02. I really hope they live in an all Punk Universe.

There's a reason he's from Earth-138.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Looks like Comic Vine's got a preview for my Spider-Punk story.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I did an interview for MTV News about Punk Spider-Man/Spider-Punk/whoever with a couple of the pages from tomorrow's book previewed-

I guess he's also going to be in the Unlimited game, so that's neat too.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it so far. Sheldon did a really killer job.

Die Laughing posted:

Please tell me you'll be at C2E2 this year.

Sorry man, too poor.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is that a Venomized police dog??

Oh yeah it is.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks for buying the issue guys, I'm glad you liked it! Response to Hobie as the Anarchic Spider-Man has been pretty great for the most part. Making comics is fun.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks dudes!

TheJoker138 posted:

Question: did you indicate in the script what song they were supposed to be playing? In my head it was Blitzkreig Bop.
I had meant it to be this, because I'm pretty basic.

Die Laughing posted:

Anything you can say about the editorial process? Any resistance to making Spidey Hobie Brown?
Nope, we were allowed to do pretty much whatever we wanted, censoring the brain-busting aside. Seeing the way Sheldon drew Norman's trademark weird hair flying off in strips was pretty funny though.

Lurdiak posted:

Actually a lot of the themes in Anarchic Spider-man were addressed in Reign...
Really? I've never read Reign, I should probably look it up. Given that the symbiotes' weakness is to sound, it was kind of a gimme, especially the "if it's too loud, you're too old" angle.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Because I'm an idiot and the anarchic/arachnid pun didn't even occur to me. I also wrote a Spider-Man comic where not one web is shot either, which, in retrospect, is ridiculous.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well there's always the ongoing you'll get.

Right?

Right?
That would be pretty cool! Hopefully something like that could shake out.

Lurdiak posted:

I really liked Ronnie Osborn by the way.
Haha yeah, Sheldon got the look dead-on.

Dacap posted:

I'm curious as to why you chose Prowler to be Spider-Man in that universe. It was a neat little twist.
Reading David Brothers' writing on race in comics has given me the default position of "why should this character be white?" when I make up stories or characters, which made me look around at other identities for Spider-Man when I was coming up with the story. My dad had boxes of old comics from the 70s, and Hobie Brown's first appearance was one of them (which is the extent of my knowledge of him). I always liked him- he was smart, pissed off and kept down, and he wasn't afraid to do something about it.
I would like to have Hobie-138 meet Hobie-616, actually.

10 Beers posted:

I'm pretty sure the lyrics are actually in the sound waves /energy/noise that's all over the page when they play. Pretty sure I read a "whatever" in there. Confirm, Vulpes?
Yeah, that's idea, same with the ACTION/REWARD slogan we were using that Lurdiak caught.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 16, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I would have written the script around the end of September I think? I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the Spider-Punk design was originally going to be Spider UK, so that may be where that came from.

edit: It would have been before he was called "Brown" and ID'd as being from Earth-138 in the main title, as those were my contributions.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I wish they went after other totems. All cutting a swathe through the stupid assholes who make up the Vultures of the Multiverse (whoa "Vultures of the Multiverse" sounds totally rad as a name).

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Dreqqus posted:

Good job tie-in writers, please exercise whatever influence you have with Marvel editorial

hahahaha

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

Who is everyones favorite alt universe Spider-Man? Mine is SP//Dr.

Obviously I have a lot of affection for Spider-Punk, but as far as poo poo that I didn't make goes, it would be SP//Dr. Their version of Mysterio and Daredevil were great. I would never have thought that Gerard Way would be a good comics writer.

Actually, that reminds of Nick Spencer. How was Superior Foes so good when Morning Glories was such tat?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Get the gently caress out of here. 43 issues?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Dreqqus posted:

If you haven't checked it already, I can't recommend the Umbrella Academy enough. Crazy cool story and gorgeous art.

Yeah, Umbrella Academy was a cool book.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I think the day I got the mail-away Battle Beasts poster was probably the happiest day of my young life.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Nothing to do with issue value, but when the book your story appears in is called Spider-Verse #2 and the most popular issue of the event is called Edge of Spider-Verse #2, your book kind of gets lost in the shuffle :mad:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

That Spider-Verse story had Osborn as a Reagan pastiche, actually (I wrote it in October 2014). It just turned out to be unfortunately prescient.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Gavok posted:

Huh. I'll fix that, then. Thanks.

Can't blame me for misunderstanding when there's a reference to making America great.

Believe me, I was as surprised as you were.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but check this out-
https://twitter.com/MrSheldon/status/872692496760950785
He translated the background song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, I wrote it (hence the dead horse &c). I haven't worked for Marvel since, so if there's plans for a mini, it's nothing I know.

• Locked thread