Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She's certainly better than anyone else they've thrown at him lately, and a bland Electro story is better than Gwen coming back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Those were some severe plot swerves. I mean, Spider-Man's known for his ADHD sometimes, but drat. Do all the Original Sin tie-ins kick it up to spastic that quickly, or is it just Slott being Slott?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, am I the only person who really doesn't like the art? It's got too many straight lines and angles and just is unpleasant for me to look at...

Nope. I usually kind of like Ramos, and a little cheesecake is fine, but EVERY SHOT of Silk is down her shirt or up her rear end, and when she webs up, it somehow gets worse.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Metal Loaf posted:

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure that Finch is basically (along with Jim Lee) the New 52 artist at the moment. :v:

Among other things, ...

VVVVVVV = But not as good as the Spider-Man 2099 suit with invisibility/unlimited webbing.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
His Marvel stuff may be a mess, but The Answer is a lot of fun, and I remember liking Gearhead way back when. Even Cable and X-Force had its moments. Never read his Legion of Monsters mini from a few years ago, though.

Maybe if he was given a book where the assignment wasn't so clearly "find a team of warm bodies to pump out a bottom-rung Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man book", he'd do better.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
For all its faults, Scott Pilgrim gave us Thomas Jane and Clifton Collins Jr. as Vegan Police.

And, because I haven't seen it mentioned, I really liked the lettering style used in the Spider-Gwen issue. It mimicked the 100th Anniversary Spider-Man one-shot, but I'm too lazy to see if it was the same guy. Does a lot to help sell the alternate universe/future of Marvel idea in the same way the switch between the Ultimate and 616 style works.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It wouldn't be a completely terrible idea to maintain at least a single series set in the MCU. Fury's Big Week managed to add some fun stuff, like inserting Black Widow at Hulk's campus rampage. I doubt that kind of thing would happen, though, or we'd get some weird attempt like that mini with Fury's son and Phil "Cheese" Coulson.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Morlun laughing that the universe is kinder and gentler than most, and that they don't even have words for concepts like "kill" or "death", is what pushed it from "Dan Slott is killing off previous incarnations of Spider-Man for cheap thrills" to "Dan Slot is killing off previous incarnations of Spider-Man for cheap thrills while he calls them retarded."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

And best NGE/Marvel crossover was when Adam Warren decided to mash-up the cast of NGE with the FF for one of the Marvel manga things.

The one where Reed explains to the girl in his bed that his power is to stretch his brain, making more connections, therefore letting him think faster? Because the Spider-Man manga with Yu Komori was better than that. 22 blank pages would have been better than that.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You misunderstood me. Reed's brain stretching was the part that I liked. It was everything else that was the problem. And I actually read Empowered for a few volumes. With my pants on, even.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They probably went to recruit him, saw what he was like, and decided that maybe letting the Inheritors eat just one more totem wouldn't end up as bad as having a symbiote in their secret base would. But they've also got Doc Ock on their side so, ...

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Morlun's frustration with time resetting was perfect. And hey, Denis Medri finally got to use some of those kick-rear end steampunk designs that were kicking around a few years ago, so Spider-Verse isn't all terrible.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Inheritors visited the TOTD universe, but Spider-Man was already dead.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It also has way too many characters that fail to accomplish anything of any value, but it's ending soon so Fiffe can get back to making comics for people to enjoy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TwoPair posted:

Otherwise I thought this issue was alright and I'm totally down for Scarlet Spiders.

The clones instantly being bros is such an obvious thing, I wasn't sure it was going to happen. Kaine's reaction when he finds out who 1610-Jessica really is should be priceless.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Fialkov wrote a mini where he started to get his powers back. It was kinda fun.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Don't blame me! I still hate what Marvel did to Runaways, and the only recent Spider-Man story I really like was the one where he woke up in The Black Lodge. Alpha is a weak idea no matter how many times they try to convince people he isn't.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Light The Night was fun. Electro thanking Spider-Man for defeating him after he realizes he bit off way more than he could chew is a defining character moment. Plus, Peter is introduced to the idea of doing a photography book, and full-blown rear end in a top hat Jonah is not only given a legitimate reason for being an rear end in a top hat, but realizes he's being one, and actually apologizes to Peter in the end.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Black Lodge from 700.3 and 700.4 of Amazing with the supervillain equivalent of Night Nurse has to be one of the best Spider-Man stories I've read in the past decade.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Silk fan mail does not necessarily mean mail from fans of Silk. As truthful (or not) as he's trying to be, his statement could just as easily be interpreted as "mail from fans about Silk". Or maybe I'm just being an angry Spider-Man fanboy spreading hateful lies. drat semantics.

Also, ween =/= wean. Aren't you a professional writer, bro?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Doc Ock liked being Spider-Man so much that he gathers all of the Spider-Men from multiple dimensions together, pitting them against each other and their assorted villains to determine which version truly is the Superior Spider-Man so he can mind-swap with the one he deems best. The remaining Spider-Men have to survive, take him out, and un-swap his brain. Same basic concept, but with more alt-Spidey interaction and less vampires.

Or we could just do it Dan Slott's way and squander every bit of potential for fun.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Remember that time Miguel picked his nose and took out the eyes of both people standing next to him?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ImpAtom posted:

Harry Osborn's plot was basically done. There isn't much else you can do with the guy. Either you bring him back to give him a happy ending (at which point he fucks off forever) or you bring him back and retread the same "oh no he is Peter's villain/Peter's best friend/Peter's best frienemy" plot again which, while not perfect, was kind of sealed and done.

Didn't they do both during Brand New Day?

He was resurrected as a coffee shop owner, his dad hosed with his relationship(s), he became American Son, and then he ran off with Normie and grew a beard. What has he done since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Say what you will about Bendis and decompression, but I remember reading Ultimate Spider-Man 13 for the first time, and then immediately rereading it with a huge smile on my face. Probably one of my favorite issues in the whole run.

The trade-off between Bagley and Immonen in 111 where he fights The Spot is pretty high up there, too.

• Locked thread