Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Metal Loaf posted:

They did it in the animated series as well; the Spider-Man who stopped the burglar (and thus never learned to use his powers responsibly) is a multi-billionaire industrialist and national celebrity who's engaged to Gwen Stacy, has Wilson Fisk as his lawyer and J. Jonah Jameson as his godfather, owns a giant Spider-Man robot, and is so accustomed to winning that he never even considers the possibility of failure.

He also had the Spider Armor suit. That guy was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

On a happier note next week we got Miles teaming up with Ultimate Cartoon Spidey in 60's Cartoon Spidey's dimension. The art is perfectly on point for that dimension.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24931

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Norman with an infinity gauntlet showing up with an army of Normans and Harrys would be pretty rad, tho. The spideys think they're doing well when suddenly the sun is blocked by an armada of lunatics in gliders.

Spider-verse Team-up was as fun as I expected :allears: Noah Boddy is truly the best villain, maybe give him the infinity gauntlet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

About to start reading that, though just finished the first story "Can't Help Myself" and boy I kinda needed that right now :unsmith: there's something about a hero being too heroic for his own good that's always gonna make me smile.

The whole annual was awesome.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 13, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Avenging had some fun little team ups (and that great May story with the worst art ever) but nothing i'd say "this is an amazing 616 Peter Parker story"
No idea what the other story is, but i'm very interested.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The article on it clearly says that the outfit is for being more low-key in street-level investigations, so obviously she's wearing this new outfit under her Avengers outfit in the Hickman stuff. :smuggo:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

But before all that he was in the future where he will recruit spider-people to beat up Twilight characters that are going to/had been eating them so now Spock and Peter are working together in the same different bodies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It'll probably be something that looks horrible, then you wait five minutes and realize there's a way to rationalize it to not be horrible even though it's clear what the first impression will be and then it won't matter an issue afterwards. That's happened, like, four times this whole run only now we're giving BleedingCool clicks for some reason.

I just want the next issue to Spider-man and the X-Men to come out...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Leopardon, no :(

At least Punisher 2099 got to hit whoever the villain is in the face with a future baseball bat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

There's always the Tie-Ins at least.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

Spider Punk seems like too much of a rebel to be slinging webs that restrain people.

Using it to web Osborn's mouth shut just before the skull bash would be punk as hell, tho. Alas, hindsight is 20/20, the story was pretty awesome already.

Hope it gets, like, a mini or a one-shot sometime.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That was the part that made me really confused. The only thing I can think of is that the writer thought of it in English and wrote it in Spanish and then Marvel translated it? Or the dialogue's just clunky as hell.

The dialogue and the story being pretty clunky sucks because the art style and atmosphere were spot-on.
And maybe I missed something, but the story didn't quite add up, Spidey's uncle ben was a luchador betrayed by scorpion > ???? > Spidey's a hero two years later saving someone's daughter from narcos that are pals with Peņa Nieto

e:fb

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

All I know about Sin Cara and WWE is that he was the Happy Loyal Foreign Friend to John Cena in the Scooby Doo movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RandallODim posted:

If you think we're ever seeing Aracely again whether Kaine dies or not, well, I wish I had your optimism.

They can show up in Amazing X-Men since Yost is writing that, right? Later this year we'll totally have that Aztec Gods arc Yost was building up, right?

:ohdear:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

"My Aspergers-Sense is tingling!"

"I'm Spider-meninist, you see. Men finally have their savior."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I can't believe MJ put me in the friendzone after that deal with satan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

By the way, when does Spider-Verse occur relative to the USM timeline because didn't Peter turn out to be alive there?

"Oh, hey, Peter, before we go into the final battle, just wanted to say: turns out you weren't dead in my universe"
"Wait, what?"
"Yeah, you just, like, got back alive."
"Ah, so I pulled a little coming back from the dead, nice. So where's the me from your universe? Is it that me over there?"
"Oh no, nah he just ran off with MJ after the whole thing, dude deserves a happy ending."
"...If we're all here, and Peter's in your universe, and the universe-hopping-spider-vampires are eating defenseless spiders and everyone that could defend him is in this room and he's not in this room then..."
"...Drat."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Castomira posted:

Spider-Man 2099 is definitely worth reading this week. It's just fun, and has no Inheritors whatsoever.

Agreed. PAD's side of the Spider-verse is simply the most consistently great one. The Six Men of Sinestry (it's not a word!) are the greatest possible rendition of the idea of steampunk sinister six. The only thing I would've preferred is if Leopardon had been more visually modded, include some steampunk and 2099 elements on it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Maybe Samnee and Waid will work on the Renew Your Vows Spidey who will be the canon Spidey during and after Secret Wars :unsmith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

90s cartoon Spider-m.. oh.

Too bad he didn't show up, just that Spider-man Unlimited dude.
90s Cartoon Spider-man would've been the best to show up with the symbiote, telling Morlun he's chase him to the end of the multiverse or something.

Favorite Alt Spidey would have to be SP//Dr., but Lady Spider, Spider-Punk and Gwen were really great. This dumb event had some really nice tie-ins.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

He would have been like "Oh multiverse stuff, I'm used to this! Follow my lead suckaz!"

Also I change my answer to this guy

"Stop there, Parker, that's not how we do things, we're heroes and heroes do not punch!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think it was because his focus was on Superior starting after issue 700, so lovely guy to show peter is a good guy story #46 for the anniversary and nobody will remember that boring thing when the time comes for Superior.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Old discussion but i'm pretty excited for Silk, Slott has a good history of putting up something pretty bad and other writers doing something good with it, like with Alpha, SpOck and bringing Kaine back to life.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The preview shows her happy to get in a normal fight against some C-lister called Dragonclaw, asking him if he stole that name from Pokemon and then wondering if Pokemon was still a thing, so that was fun. If we get into how the basis of the character is a creepy sex doll for Peter then yeah, i'll drop it, but after Alpha's cool mini and Kaine's fun run i'm pretty hopeful for this, Slott wrote a boring one dimensional thing, that means there's tons of room to actually make a character.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 15, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

IIRC Spider-verse #2 has the Spider-punk story, so you need to read that. 2099 has two of the est moments in the story

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silk report: art remained cool, cartoony and without cheesecake, there was no creepy spider-sex stuff ("Spider-man and I had a thing for a while, it was strange and awesome" is all of it), flashbacks to the family she's looking for which were fine, D-Lister getting made fun of ever other page and JJJ being amazing in his new job. It was a pretty fine book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I looked at Silk entirely because of Slott's reverse Midas touch and wasn't disappointed. As usual, the moment anything leaves his hands it turns, if not to gold, better.

Exact same boat, plus being freaking starved for Spider-stuff. Scarlet Spider was scratching that itch in his run but then he was gone and all that was left was New Warriors, Ultimate Spidey was also good but for the past half year (more?) it's been on a downward spiral, then some Spider-verse one-shots were good and I'm ecstatic over having two Spider-people to read about monthly with Silk and Spider-Gwen.

I just love Spider-man and want a constant stream of good (or at least decent) Spider-media to consume and i'm sure as hell not getting any good Peter stuff out of Slott or the cartoon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"Missed me, missed me, now you gotta kiss deez *webs volture's mouth*" was pretty high up there with the death from a butt. :allears: top-notch quips and all the takes on the other characters are fun as hell. This is a good comic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I used to be on board with the idea of Slott becoming an editor so he could hand out his ideas and let people do them right but man, that bit on the costume is terrible, if he became editor he'd just enforce his bad executions.

Spider-books this week were great, at least.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

From that interview that was linked before it just seems that Spider-verse spiraled out of his grasp. At first it was going to be SpOck and a few spider-people, including 2099 and Spider-UK, teaming up for three issues and he thought of Gwen having a red and blue version of the clothes she wore when she died. Then at some point editorial went "uhhh this isn't going to be a Superior storyline... we thought that was obvious... also here's the designs for spider-gwen, no you don't have the power to reject them, this is literally the best costume ever."
So by the time Spider-gwen happened, Jason Latour had some brilliant ideas for her character while Slott had just gone with "1973 Gwen but with Spider powers" he thought of a year before. Similarly, Spider-punk was just this UK-based guy and Jed Mackay thought up a whole story and asked himself "why would he be white?" as Slott focused on the main story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nobby posted:

Slott's writing Renew Your Vows. God dammit. Burn it down.

I should've known, hope is for fools. :negative:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So what he's saying is that he's been writing Newspaper Spider-man the whole time?

e:

actually Newspaper Spider-man seems to be getting some stronger character beats than Slott right now

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 16, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Stacey Lee seemed to be given rein to get a little more manga with her art in this issue, too, and it worked pretty well for the scene with Cindy's ex. I mean, she lived in a bunker for ten yea- She's the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, except Korean and a superhero!

I agree on both of these points.

This is a really cute comic, i'm glad it and Spider-gwen are happening right now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

17.1 was great, I love when Spidey casually shows off that he's as tough as a truck.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silk was great, I freaking love when Henchmen talk about how lovely their situation is and why they have to hench.

I'm not that into X-Men, but i'm pretty sure I know who Clarendon Mart is in reference to. Spider-man & The X-Men ended adorably. All Spider-related stuff this week was adorable and great

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 29, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Finally read the latest Spider-gwen. Amazing stuff as always but holy poo poo Rodrigez makes old people look scary as poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

So the pitch for this was just Slott going "So you know all those people who want Peter and MJ together? Well I'm going to make that book. But we're going to make it be the worst possible thing we can, and then just laugh and laugh." right?

Expressively so, yes. Every interview about it has him going how you can't give people what they want or some cheap bullshit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Okay, the pokemon references in Silk have been cute so far but Johnny Storm and Peter playing an original Pokemon game on a huge flatscreen with PS4 controllers is too much. ...I do appreciate Peter looking smug since it looks like his squirtle beat Johnny's bulbasaur somehow.

Silk keeps being the cute light fun book that hits all the right spots for me.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, art shift wasn't that bad but it was a definite downgrade.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude, it's the Fantastic Four. Reed probably got irritated that his kids kept demanding new games that were on new-gen consoles so he just up and built a FantastiBox that plays every kind of video game ever made.

Then Val made it even better, somehow.

...dammit, I want this to have happened.

No, yeah, i totally get that they legit could've made it happen in-universe, just the fact that we go from textual pokemon reference to pokemon fanart to a slightly blurred screen from red or blue is strange in a good really strange way.

I honestly just assumed Reed built a super computer exclusively for games, like with ten OS running at the same time somehow to natively play old and new stuff and emulate whatever else. Then Valeria created the drives so the PS4 controllers can work on it and, like a good Richards, doesn't put them out for the world that needs them the most. Now I kinda want Reed to put up Galactus Simulator for the Oculus Rift, except no computer outside that building has the specs to run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Spider-verse was pretty fun and interesting. Art was kinda wonky at times, tho.

• Locked thread