Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well get ready because his voice acting work has not improved in the slightest since!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55086

Love the dude, but that is not very good.

To be fair the garbage voice directing of USM strangles the talent out of everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well one newly created female spider-person is probably getting a book!

Bleeding Cool posted:

Marvel Comics have applied to register a trademark for the word “Silk” for “Comic books; printed periodicals in the field of comic book stories and artwork; printed visuals in the nature of comic book stories and artwork; posters”

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure "wilds" meant the rest of the internet, not here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Besides being a little silly (which, fair enough, comics) it's got the Shazam problem. Inside, everyone's going to call her Spider-Woman.

It'd be like calling the new run of Captain America "FalconCap". Everyone's gonna call Sam that, so why not?

Marvel probably doesn't want to confuse idiots with two Spider-Woman books.

Though I guess with Silk getting an ongoing too there's going to be three ongoings with woman of the spidery persuasion, and two of them might even be good!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SirDan3k posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

You can chalk those up to flukes or all the good spidey material he had in him at this point.

This really reminds me why I'm constantly hesitant to post in this thread.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That Spider-Man endless runner game's idea of a giant multiversal Sinister Infinity army should have been the villain for this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Girl didn't have editors, it was just Tom DeFalco getting to do whatever he wanted. If it did someone likely would have looked at Amazing Spider-Girl and went "holy poo poo what the gently caress am I reading Tom" and then he'd just burn them with a cigar

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Angry Walrus posted:

Who hurt you, friend Waterhaul?

He's probably read an MC2 comic within the last few years

(That said J2 is the only thing from that universe I like too)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 11, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it was a great idea done in the most boring way by an old man desperately trying to write a bunch of teenagers.

For the record, I liked the original Spider-Girl ongoing okay but every book after that successfully killed any good will I have for that setting and those characters. Spider-Girl: The End in particular is one of the most intelligence insultingly bad comics I've ever read.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Remember how Spider-Girl was supposed to be set in an alternate present and then thirty+ year old Arana shows up out of nowhere as a villain (hint: the reason is because DeFalco hates the character)

In fact there's a legend that Arana was supposed to launch as Spider-Girl and DeFalco threw a hissy fit about it and got his way, just like he did constantly for like ten years.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

The book is a What If that pins directly out of the Clone Saga and heavily references it throughout it's run. The most 90's of 90's crossovers spawned the series. It was never an alternate present.

Don't blame me that's what DeFalco insisted on!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well who would you suggest to write the series instead, if Marvel decided tomorrow to do a new series? I'd probably go with Sean McKeever, since he actually wrote her before in a very good fill-in issue and after his work on Spider-Man loves Mary Jane among other things, he'd probably be able to juggle the superheroics and the domestics ably, while keeping the overall light tone of the series. I'd leave DeFalco and Frenz as editors a)so nobody is pressuring them to kill off her parents, and b)so they can focus on keeping continuity for their baby straight. You know, what editors are supposed to do.

Not McKeever. Not after his own super hissy fit about being pulled away from his characters in Onslaught Unleashed. I don't trust that guy at all.

Honestly? I'd let G. Willow Wilson have a go at it. And I don't want DeFalco involved at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess I missed this, what was the hissyfit?

Essentially erasing Rikki out of existence and having Toro go away forever because he wouldn't get to write them anymore.

surprised he didn't have Gravity just spontaneously combust too.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 12, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Anya was always a great character trapped in bad books. Arana was rough, Ms. Marvel had her getting partially depowered and then being made into a teenage mind slave, Spider-Girl had like one good issue. Amazing Spider-Girl and Young Allies weren't bad, though, and Avengers Assemble was the best.

Suben posted:

How do you know the Rikki thing wasn't editorially mandated?

You're right, I don't, but why would it be mandated?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 12, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's kind of funny how after Grim Hunt Kraven has been in every spider-book except Peter's (and Otto's).

All he's missing now is trying to get Miguel to kill him too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
second arc of Spider-Man and the X-Men is Spidey and his class versus Chameleon and Mojo

I am so excited for this book

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

I see Rockslide so I see good things ahead.

He's part of Peter's class so he's a regular.

As it should be in all X-books.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Anya's pretty much ruined as a character, killing her would be a mercy.

Nope.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really don't like DeMatteis' run for reasons God of Paradise mentioned.

Almost every story he did was a non-entity or just Kraven's Last Hunt with Kraven swapped out for Vermin or Harry Goblin or something else.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

On a happier note next week we got Miles teaming up with Ultimate Cartoon Spidey in 60's Cartoon Spidey's dimension. The art is perfectly on point for that dimension.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24931

holy poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Something that isn't complaining about Dan Slott or complaining about complaining about Dan Slott: Gerry Conway's doing a five part story next year with Spidey and Wraith versus the crime lords of New York

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That would be the Ringmaster, the head of the Circus of Crime

CharlestheHammer posted:

I see Gerry took a trip to the island of misfit supporting characters/villains.

eh the circus are the only out of left field characters on that cover

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 12, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waterhaul posted:

People were talking about it in the X thread, it's only going to be Spider-Man and the X-Men for an arc or so and then will become someone else and the X-Men.

Pretty sure this is not true at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheJoker138 posted:

Totally agreed. It's the first time since Slott took over that I've really enjoyed a 616 Peter Parker story.

okay you hate slott like 99% of this thread whatever but really? not even Avenging Spider-Man? That back-up by Jeff Parker where Spidey and Power Man fight the Looter?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"more lighthearted spider-man"

you mean the one who mowed down enemies with a tommy gun that one time and constantly talks about how super into revenge he is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Metal Loaf posted:

I think I've asked this before, but was the "The Non-Mutant Superhero" caption on the covers of that era a joke about Spidey being the biggest non-X-Men property at Marvel, or was it there because X-Men were such a big deal that anything with the word "mutant" on it would sell?

Bit of both.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
doctor octopus IS the greatest spider-man villain of all time though he's not wrong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Die Laughing posted:

Close second to Green Goblin. Having Norman and Peter know each other in their civilian lives gives them a relationship few Heroes/Villains have.

Yeah but it's also a relationship that was barely used except for some mostly unreadable comics toward the end of the 90's.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey look it's a page of May Parker and a bunch of actually good characters

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No one ever refers to Aunt May as anything other than Aunt May! :colbert:

Aunt might as well be her first name

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

And nobody refers to Spider-Girl as just May Parker. :colbert:

She's not my Spider-Girl

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheJoker138 posted:

I think it was taking place in like, that episode of Angel where luchadors are also actual superheroes in addition to being wrestlers.

I'm sorry, do you mean real life?

but no seriously luchadores being actual superheroes is a cultural thing.

LOOK AT THIS poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's a concept that really needs to make a comeback.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't call the character Slott wrote in any of those issues "Peter Parker". Maybe Weird Offputting Manchild.

But that's exactly what Peter Parker is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only post BND.

Also that time he was rebooted in the 90's.

I don't even know what to tell you if you think Peter Parker wasn't ever the guy who one time punch a chimney into rubble cause he was just so mad over girlfriends

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hahahahaha

don't worry it's not the REAL May it's some random OTHER May

loving DeFalco

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Peter Parked Car is amazing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
of course hating alpha was the point

that was the most obvious thing in the loving world

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Waterhaul Moderator or Menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So for the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, they added a character who was always meant to be an insufferable prick and a temporary addition to the cast. Great job guys! Make mine Marvel!

It was to contrast what makes Peter Parker special compared to some random fuckoff kid. It wasn't exactly subtle.

• Locked thread