Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I liked Spider-Man 2099 #1 well enough. Peter David certainly loves using characters from 2211. Not really sure what the point of this series is yet, though. I miss the 2099 setting and hope it ends up going back there eventually, because the stuff about preventing his grandfather from dying and trying to make him a better person doesn't seem like it could go on that long and stay interesting. The end of the issue hints that something important will happen in this timeline because of O'Hara though, so I trust there's a plan in place. Just good to see David returning to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

On the one hand, I liked that anyone cared enough to remember the other permutations of Spidey 2099 floating out there (and if you get highly specific with the amount of times 2099 has been visited by people and had things split off into other timelines, there are probably one or two left out there), but any joy was quickly snuffed out by how neatly and effortlessly they were dispatched.

I liked the whole "army of Spider-Men" thing that started in Superior 32/33, but for the most part I'm already getting a really bad vibe from this whole event. The whole "Hey, remember this Spider-Man? Pretty neat right? NOW HE'S BRUTALLY MURDERED!" thing is souring me. It's not enough to just take out the Spider-Men, they also have to be killed in front of their wives, parents, cute little dogs, etc.

I think I'm just bummed because even though I love all things 2099 (Marvel Knights 2099 doesn't count), this current series has been really uninteresting. I'm really glad Miguel is getting back to 2099 proper soon, because all the modern stuff is just so, so boring. I want Spider-Man 2099 zipping through the air and loving with flying police forces, not babysitting his grandfather and going to his corporate day job. I'm not sure how anyone who doesn't already come into the series with love for the character could stand it at all, nothing happens and everyone is unlikable.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I enjoyed seeing the requisite Spider-Man Hostess pie ad and the newspaper Spider-Man in this issue but yeah, it's not tied heavily into the event itself. It seems like Spider-Verse will actually not be that sprawling after all and the spin-offs/tie-ins are just nice flavor stories. I guess we'll see how things like Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Woman, and the Scarlet Spiders really tie in once the event gets going.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I had a hard time following this issue as well, they bunched everyone up so they could then splinter the story into the spin-off books. I will not be following these characters into their spin-off books though, because I don't care about whatever magical significance the bride and the other are supposed to have. I would have liked some more set-up or explanation here, kind of annoyed by the fumbling around in the dark and having old man Spidey intentionally hold back information just so everything can be vague and mysterious.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

2099 is also fun this week. The heroes actually get one over on the super duper vampires and even better, Spidey's comments about getting reinforcements indicate that this Spidey 2099 comes from a timeline before they cancelled half the line and killed the characters off. It would be cool to get to see them in the future.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Leopardon, no :(

At least Punisher 2099 got to hit whoever the villain is in the face with a future baseball bat.

My smile was huge when I turned to that page. I'm so happy this Spidey 2099 was plucked before the big purge because it means lots of the 2099 cast can show up in the book. Maybe if it's before One Nation Under Doom, even Ravage 2099 could show up.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I feel like the problem is that ASM has for all intents and purposes become a "hub book" or something where very little actually happens besides catching you up one where all four of the spin-off teams are. Most of the past two issues have been 616 Peter checking in on Miles, Spider-Woman, Scarlet Spider, and Spider-Man 2099, followed by the requisite "Check out _______ issue #2 for more information!" boxes. The side series are the ones that actually seem to be advancing the plot, whereas each ASM is just turning into a crazy battle scene where super powerful villains shrug off all attacks and murder a few Spideys per issue. No one gets a chance to shine and everyone looks crappy.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

2099 has been really fun during this whole arc and makes me sad that they're probably just going to return him back to present day 616 to mess around at Alchemax. It's so enjoyable seeing him in 2099 or going through other dimensions, the corporate espionage stuff just pales in comparison.

Poor Steampunk Doc Ock.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The more 2099 the better. I figure he has to eventually at least make a pit stop in present day to give that forgotten supporting character her cancer cure.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I don't know if it's accessible, but I love that Peter David has pulled upon things from Spider-Man 2099's entire history during this most recent run, it's a nice reward for anyone who has read the character since the beginning. I never expected to see anything from the 2002 Captain Marvel run referenced again, let alone see Strange 2099 pop up in another book.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Well, Spidey 2099 is wrapping up its few remaining plot points since it ends with issue 12 and transforms into Secret Wars 2099. It's been an interesting book, but it really didn't have much time to set up its own status quo with all the crossovers and overarching plots it was involved in. I hope it can continue in some form after Secret Wars 2099, although the recent sales figures have it trending downward.

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about SW2099 since David is still involved. I'm bummed that the original 2099 timeline has seemingly been wiped to some degree, but it makes sense given what Miguel has been doing in the past and also the events from All-New X-Factor. I can understand wanting to do something new with the 2099-universe and move the story forward there. Then again, I find it hard to believe many new readers are buying the 2099 stuff and naturally assume it's people who are nostalgic about the original line like me.

I'm hoping for a mix of the old and the new in SW2099. There will be new stuff like the Avengers 2099, but maybe some old favorites like Doom, Punisher, Ravage, etc. will still make an appearance.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Spider-Man 2099 never seems to hesitate to throw in references to events/characters that only a complete nerd who read the original run of 2099 comics in 1992-1994 could ever possibly care about. And for those 100 or so people, it's a lot of fun. Glad the book has started to incorporate more of the Secret Wars 2099 characters as well.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, the solicits for some of the later issues of Web Warriors keep mentioning 'casualties' of Electroverse (the current storyline) and Mayday is consistently not shown on covers. Gee, I wonder who's going to die next?

Also, they literally ask on the letters page for people to write in with the obscure Spider-Men they want to see killed off. Okay, it's for them to show up in later issues, but they do outright state that probably means they're going to die. That's really going to get people engaged, to see their favourite characters show up to die! :downs:

I like how they say 'it might be the only chance to see them in action again!' like them showing up as wallpaper or cannon fodder is somehow a good thing.

That's crap, it seems rather vindictive against a character who has been supported by a small but dedicated fanbase for so long. Although I bet Defalco doesn't care since this isn't the "real" Mayday anyway in his opinion.

They probably won't get the chance to kill off many other spider people. The book is already selling 25,407 copies with issue 3. It is not long for this world.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Finally caught up on Spider-Man 2099, it's an interesting book but I agree with the people in the general chat thread that said the book feels aimless. I'm curious what PAD is doing on this book, he keeps introducing characters/events and putting them into play, but then moving on to something else quickly. On the one hand, I think it's cool that he's writing an ongoing book that isn't easily compartmentalized into trades. He's got all these balls in the air from the pre-SW 2099 volume and Secret Wars 2099 (Tempest, the Captain America from the SW timeline, the Maestro and the corrupted 2099 future) and a bunch of stuff from this volume as well (like the Inhumans stuff, the robot terrorists, Tempest's mom)...but I have no real sense that it's all building to some conclusion or adhering in some way. Hopefully the book lasts long enough for him to tie this stuff together.

It's neat to see some 2099 characters like Venom and Goblin return in the new arc, I've been a bit disappointing in the "Miguel's 2099 is corrupted" story as it has kept us from having any fun cameos like the Punisher 2099 one during Spiderverse. The new Spidey 2099 custom still sucks though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Ever since I saw Goblin 2099 on the cover solicit for Spidey 2099 #11, I was looking forward to Peter David finding a tongue in cheek way to address the old issue of the first Spider-Man 2099 series when the identity of Goblin was changed without his knowledge after he left the book. (See http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/15/comic-book-legends-revealed-410/2/).

I was not disappointed, the jokes about the identity switch begin on page 1 and continue all throughout. You can always count on PAD to deliver the goods by referencing minute things he wrote 20 years ago and almost no one read. :hellyeah:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Is their some reason Spidey 2099 ('90's version) doesn't have a collected version? I don't remember it going on for very long, couldn't the entire run fit in an Essentials? No idea if these have become expensive, but I've had half a mind to just buy the whole run as individual issues. Just seems very time consuming.

There are three collected trades out now as "Spider-Man 2099 Classic" that go through issue #22 and also include the 2099 crossover. The release is really sporadic, the last one came out in 2015. I'm amazed they collect them at all, I can't imagine them selling that much. The only other 2099 things that have been collected are 1 volume of X-Men 2099 and Warren Ellis' run on Doom 2099.

Also, Web Warriors has been cancelled with issue 11. Looking at sales numbers, 2099 and Spidey seem to be the next weakest of the crop. The Spider-Women story seems to have boosted Silk and Spider-Woman back up a tiny bit.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Morlun is just so awful, the main storyline is crap as everyone has said. I wish they had used something like the multiverse of Electros in Web-Warriors or anything else more fun and clever than Morlun.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The sad petering out of Web Warriors made me sad for Contest of Champions again because of how well that book managed to pull off a similar concept and also deliver a fun ending even after getting cancelled. The most interesting thing Web Warriors did in its entire run was bring back the Spider-Ham 2099 universe for a second.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It might be Pollyanna but I refuse to believe Porcupine is dead at this point in Spider-Woman. He just disappeared after the hobgoblin bomb went off, no gibs or anything!

I also respect the fact that Peter David has been able to keep a longterm story going throughout his entire new Spider-Man 2099 run, dodging and weaving through big crossovers like Spider-Verse and Civil War II, but I'm starting to lose the thread of the plot. Somehow everything from the initial robot scientist guy to the Sinister Six of the future to Elektra are all tied into "The Fist" but he just keeps adding new elements to the conspiracy without ever explaining/revealing anything substantial about them. Maybe it will read better in one sitting after the run is finished, but month-to-month it's hard to remember all the little details. At least Tempest is out of her coma now.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I checked out the first three issues of Prowler. I don't think I read a less essential comic series in all of 2016. You'd think everyone would know going in that the Prowler is a D-list character with no real fanbase (despite being Peter's double in the current ASM series), so any series starring him would have to do something fresh, interesting, or strange to catch on. It's none of those things. It's just generic action and Hobie having internal debates about his bad position as a resurrected dude working for the Jackal. There's not a single thing in any issue that isn't included in The Clone Conspiracy or ASM, and it seems a good bet if you're the type to buy a Prowler book you've already reading those. It's a totally superfluous book. I mean, it was likely destined to be cancelled in 6 issues anyway no matter how good it was due to the direct market and the character, but at least some of those short lived books swing for the fences. This one didn't even show up for the game.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

No, I couldn't even make it through mercs for money, let alone solo. But I imagine it at least has a plot and premise instead of "I'll fart around doing nothing for 3 issues as this is part of a crossover but I'm not allowed to do anything new or interesting because no one will buy this spinoff"

I agree that starting a book off as part of a crossover is not a good move, especially when a character is C-D tier. Spider-Woman did the same thing with Spider Verse and didn't improve until it relaunched with an actual premise.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, are you calling the fifth issue of the 2015 series (where they ditched Land and the old costume for Javier Rodriguez and the new costume) a relaunch or do you mean the new #1 after Secret Wars? Because if you like the current series, you should totally go back and read #5-10 of the 2015 series by the same team that sets up all of the stuff with Ben Urich and Porcupine and is also really good.

Yep, I did this after checking out the latest volume and hearing from people that the previous volume turned good at issue five. But that's only because I took a chance on the latest volume and also read a lot of opinions on-line about the book, otherwise I would have been turned off by those awful tie-in Greg Land issues forever. I feel like Spider-Man 2099 would have been in the same boat except it got a few issues to at least establish itself before the Spider-Verse crossover and also found a way to organically tie it into a visit to the future. Spider-Woman #1 just straight plopped you into her inside the inheritors lair with no set-up or anything.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

After the latest Clone Conspiracy I'm tickled to see how Ben can be redeemed into a heroic character, as this series has painted him as a thoroughly repugnant piece of poo poo who nearly destroyed the world, and this is coming from someone who really really liked Ben as the Scarlet Spider. Pretty blah chapter but I did enjoy seeing Otto flip his lid that anyone would dare insult any part of Anna Maria.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

What a complete and total non-ending. I'm not sure how they think anyone who read this would be anticipating and/or buy Scarlet Spider.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Well, pretty close! Otto gets the uber-clone body and Ben sticks around in his current body that could potentially destabilize again. Also after "killing" Miles Warren he vows to put the clone poo poo behind him and start living his OWN life...which puts him exactly where he was the first time he left town to forge his own life, only this time after nearly murdering the entire world and feeling no remorse for it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I found it quite amusing that like 5% of Scarlet Spider #3 was used on plot and the rest was devoted entirely to hastily coming up with a reason to get him out of that poo poo costume as fast as possible and back into his old one. Can't believe they ever used it in the first place, but kudos for not digging in their heels and getting rid of it ASAP.

Venom was just "eh," I found the story for why the symbiote abandoned Flash in the previous issue very lackluster and am having a hard time getting into this series. I dunno, I thought Flash as Venom was very fun and enjoyed it the whole time, I've yet to see a real justification story-wise for why the symbiote needed to leave him and as a result, this volume isn't connecting with me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Spider-Man 2099 wrapped up today and the ending was not at all what I expected. The pieces were there to give Miguel a happy little ending since he's likely being tucked away in the continuity shoebox again for a while, but PAD went a different route with it. It's not a twist for twist's sake though, it's true to the characters and the story he set up, plus it leaves room to continue later if something like Defenders 2100 actually happens.

All in all, it was a fun title and got nearly as many issues as the first volume in the '90s. Not essential reading by any means, but worth reading through on Unlimited someday if you have any affinity for the character.

• Locked thread