Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Gwen is officially called Spider-Gwen and looks to be set in her universe as Latour talked about having the Mary Janes in it as well. I am excited to read that as I loved the one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Gwen is great. That's literally what everyone is and will call it anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never understood what people saw in Spider-Girl. I always thought it was a mediocre to bad book. I honestly don't care if Slott kills them all off and then Hickman finishes up that universe for him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Esroc posted:

I keep hearing praise for the Miles Morales character but haven't picked up a Spidey comic since Kraven's Last Hunt. What issue do I need to pick up to start with Peter's death leading into Miles taking over?

The right answer is that you should read all of Ultimate Spider-Man. But if you just want Ultimate Peter's death on you want 156-160 which is where he dies, Ultimate Fallout which is where they show the effects of it, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011) 1-28 which is the first Miles series, and then Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man which is the current Miles series.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 11, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All in all now that it's done I enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Verse. I think it's one of the most fun crossovers in recent years. In the end it was pretty inconsequential but that's part of what made it fun. It was basically just an excuse to write a bunch of different Spider people interacting and that's fine with me. I wouldn't mind an ongoing Spider team up of some kind. Exiles except with Spiders.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wasn't surprised that Spider-Gwen was good. I figured that would be the case after the intro issue. I didn't expect to come away thinking that Silk had the better first issue. That was the surprise. Both are good books (admittedly after only one issue) and I'm glad they exist.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, Spider-Woman was great. I know people hate on Hopeless for those books he wrote that I never read but this was good stuff. All of the Spider books are fun right now, it's a good time to be a Spider fan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't speak for Batgirl because I've not read it as it doesn't interest me, but Spider-Woman is good so far and I thoroughly enjoy it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GraPar posted:

Episode 4 of the new Tina Fey Netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt features an accidental parody of/tribute to Spider-Verse, it's pretty amazing.

There's a plot about the failed Spider-Man musical that's pretty well known but I don't remember anything related to Spider-Verse in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh yeah, I took that as a joke about how the injuries were piling up. But I guess you could see it that way as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Amazing Spider-Man Special was really good. I'd never heard of the writer before but he did a good job and Spider-Man teaming up with the new Inhumans was a fun time. Can't wait for the next part of the crossover.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flameingblack posted:

So, it's another one of those bits where they're teasing fans and not delivering again?

There's no teasing. Everyone should be smart enough to know that all this Secret Wars stuff is just a temporary thing. If anyone thought that Peter was going to be married again because of Secret Wars they deserve whatever disappointment comes their way for not understanding how this event works.

Do you also think that Captain America and Iron Man are going to be cowboys forever too?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As with several other books, the books that are being replaced temporarily by alternate versions of those titles are mostly keeping the same writers as the regular book. Slott with Spider-Man, David with the 2099 book, Humphries with Star Lord and Kitty, Aaron with Thors, Bendis with the Guardians book, Duggan with the Deadpool book and so on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Who wants to bet she's the new Spider-Girl in 616? Explains why Mayday & Anya have been booted out of prominence.

I dunno, the majority of people not caring about them seems to be the most likely reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

They could have just not used them, rather than be dicks about it and throw them out like garbage.

Why do comics writers feel the need to always scorch the loving earth if a character doesn't become an A-Lister out the gate?

Where did they throw them out like garbage? I just read a book that came out yesterday with Anya in it. And Mayday was all over Spider-Verse.

Also both characters had their chance and ultimately failed. Mayday in particular had more chances than almost any other character I can think of and ultimately people just didn't care about her. And how many times have they tried to shove Anya in a book and revamp her. The only time it even kind of worked was Avengers Academy. And I even like Anya but I recognize most people don't give a poo poo about her.

We all have less popular characters we love that get shafted because nobody else cares about them. I don't whine every time a writer brings in Darkhawk and sticks him in a lovely role. I'm just glad someone remembered him besides me and enjoy seeing him.

When a character that didn't connect is brought back you should always try to do something new with them. If you just bring them back the same as they were when nobody cared about them odds are nobody will care for them again and back to obscurity they go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like New Warriors in general and find Speedball to be a fun character, but I didn't really mind what they did to him at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Verse was my favorite crossover of last year by far. I loved it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Spider-Man/Deadpool got announced so that brings us up to 10 spider-related ongoings

Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
Spidey
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Verse
Silk
Spider-Woman
Venom: Space Knight
Carnage

and then ANAD Avengers and Uncanny Avengers both have a Spidey on their teams

so much goddamn spidermans

Well Spider-Man/Deadpool isn't an ongoing and I'd be surprised if Carnage makes it past 12 issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

They've had one ongoing for the last what...5 years now? And then as soon as they get the rights back that balloons to this many. I can see a connection. Also Marvel has been on record, I believe, saying they don't want to do free promotion for movies they don't have the rights to, hence F4 being downplayed lately and such.

They've had a Venom book for years. Ultimate Spider-Man has been uninterrupted since 2000. Silk and Spider-Gwen were announced well before they got the rights back. Carnage has had so many minis that you could say he's pretty much had an ongoing of sorts for years. Spider-Woman is pretty much completely disconnected from all the other Spider-Man stuff now that Spider-Verse is over. So really the only additions here are Web Warriors and Spidey. And only one of those has Peter in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

Hold on, are you just referring to the Secret Wars mini, which I assume will be over when Secret Wars ends? Or is there actually some sort of Spider-verse ongoing after that?

Web Warriors, by the same writer as the Secret Wars mini.

Also really surprised to see Spider-Man/Deadpool confirmed as an ongoing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can I just say how much I love Miguel's redesign? I mean the suit he had was already great so it was a strange move to redesign something so well known that still looked good, but man they sure did a great job.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait why is Eddie Toxin now? Did I miss something somewhere?

It was done against his will in the Agent Venom series.

He ended up taking control of and going off to do his own thing at the end though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 19, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not quite the same creative team. The new Spider-Verse book is Web Warriors by Costa and David Baldeon, who rocked the art on Nova among other things. I love his stuff

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pureauthor posted:

By the way, how has RYV been as a whole so far? And would anyone mind providing a short synopsis of the plot?

Really fun. The plot is that a villain rules the domain and his killed/beaten all the heroes except for a small underground resistance. Peter has long since stopped being a superhero and instead focuses on being a husband and wife. People with powers are a big no-no because it threatens the ruler of the domain and so Peter and his daughter have to wear power dampeners. Something happens that pulls him and now his daughter into the public again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Deep down I knew MJ was just Peter in a wig...

That's what happens when you try to be lazy and hit the suggested words from your tablet to complete your sentences instead of typing it the old fashioned way. But then again this is an alternate universe so who knows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As far as Spider-Man writers go I don't really get the outright hatred for Slott as a I find him perfectly serviceable. Are there guys I'd rather be writing Spider-Man? Of course. I'd kill for Paul Tobin, Christos Gage, Fred Van Lente, or even Bendis on the main book. But I'll take a Slott over a Byrne or Mackie or JMS any day. I mean when you've been through the real dregs of Spider-Man writers Slott doesn't even rank.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gatts posted:

JMS is hands above Slott. Please do not sully him. It'sa me, I'm the one who loved Sins Past.

There are few things in Spider-Man history I loathe more than all than that mystical spider totem bullshit. Though Spider-Verse as a whole was just about the best result of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's way more interesting to me than the previous spoiler.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Will Sliney is the artist of Spider-Man 2099 and here is a really cute thing he did.

http://willsliney.tumblr.com/post/129062050308/so-last-night-i-surprised-the-amazing-laura

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Before all the usual Dan Slott hate gets started I just wanted to say as someone that has found most of Slott's stuff alright and not bad at all but not really so much great, which I know is sacrilege around here, I actually really loved the new book today. I like seeing a whole new direction for Peter like this. Maybe with Miles around and the other book about teenage Peter we'll finally get the chance for them to write Peter as somewhat confident and successful for a while when outside of the costume. Also another beautifully drawn book today along with Iron Man and Strange. Ok I've said my piece so you guys can get back to your Slott hate fest now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I've not finished Superior, so is Doc Ock in that robot a shocking return from the dead or did we have an idea that his mind was bouncing around somewhere?

I think anyone with a brain figured out he was out there somewhere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Marvel panel revealed that Ganke, Bombshell, and Miles' dad are all part of the new Miles book in 616. So he's not going to be an Ultimate Orphan it seems. I am very happy that Bombshell made it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Well I like two of the three. Let's hope Hopeless doesn't drag it all down.

Well his book is the best of the three, so I don't see that happening.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Disagree, Silk's probably the strongest Spider-Gal book for my money, but it's a close race.

I also really liked the Mockingbird design in ASM, with the gold trim.

Well Silk and Spider-Woman are pretty much both great, I think the weak link here is actually Spider-Gwen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really I don't think any character has been hosed harder than spidey over the years.

Besides hank but who gives a gently caress about hank.

If we're talking about being hosed over in the books, even Spider-Man doesn't compare to Matt Murdock.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I never thought I would say this.

Dan Slott is crushing it on this book right now.

Yup, that a was perfect issue of Spider-Man adventures.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ugh, seriously? Anyone remember when Spider-Man books were street-level? I can accept Web Warriors, but by having people cross over from 616 to 65 (that's the Gwen-verse, right?) on a regular basis you completely undermine everything that made Gwen's book unique. It's like how they use to say that a crossover with the Ultimate universe would officially mark the point Marvel had run out of ideas.

Plus I'm seriously iffy on the whole 'fighting crime while 8 months pregnant' thing. I get it's supposed to be empowering, but basic logic suggests that's a goddamn terrible idea. Like, 'total disregard for the life of the baby' terrible.

This entire post is just terrible. Maybe don't comment on books you haven't read because it makes you look dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazing Spider-Man is so good right now. I love it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In 3 weeks. As for the best Spider books right now I'd rank them

Amazing Spider-Man
Web Warriors
Venom Space Knight
Spidey
Spider-Woman
Silk (the art in the last two issues dropped this one down for me)
Spider-Man 2099

Those are the ones I'm reading. I finally dropped Spider-Gwen as I just couldn't get into it. And I never picked up Carnage because it's Carnage. Between Spidey and Silk I think Robbie Thompson might be my favorite Spider family writer right now. Spidey is like the spiritual successor to the Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man books. It's just fun one-offs that are kind of in continuity but not really. I'm really liking that book. And Nick Bradshaw's art is really nice, his Sandman in issue 2 is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Comixology of course.

https://www.comixology.com/Spidey-2015/comics-series/59429

• Locked thread