Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'd hardly call Mayday/MC2 Spider-Girl a failure. She still has the longest running, ongoing female series published in Marvel with 100 issues (and I think there was an Annual or two thrown in there as well) plus a relaunch series that happened almost right after. People can debate about the quality, but it existed and it ran for a long loving time. A 100 issue run is something few new or teenage characters will even get close to. I love Ms. Marvel but I think it'll be years and combining a bunch of minis and guest appearances when Marvel wants to fake an issue 100 for her.

Someone once said about Peter David that when he uses a character, he's going to write how they've been established and he's not going to ignore the last story they were in. He might try to twist some things around to make it work for him, but he's not going to flat out ignore it. Hickman has been doing that a lot in Avengers as well, not just in costume changes but the mood and how the characters act with each other. In contrast, Bendis and Slott often completely ignore how characters have been written even when their last appearance were major stories. For Bendis, just look at how he wrote Hood and Marvel Boy. Slott wrote a horrible annual with Doc Ock's Sinister Six taking on the Wizard's team and it completely ignored Wizard's character arc in Hickman's FF. Spider-Girl/Mayday in Spider-Verse barely resembled how Mayday was in MC2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Roger Stern isn't a fan of the marriage but if you look at his run, it makes sense. At that point in time, he had proposed to MJ, she said no, and had left town (the country?). I like the marriage but the way it was introduced into the comics (all because Stan Lee was marrying then in the newspaper strip) was REALLY rushed.

Stern's run, while great, loses some luster because other writers (and I think Marvel's EIC at the time too) kept loving around with the Hobgoblin mystery.

You can both like Last Hunt and Grim Hunt. I know I do. And JMD wrote a backup story so to me that was kind of his blessing right there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Silk is amazing. Easily the issue of the week for me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

Right in the background is "Parker Industries" so he'll probably go full-time into that career and help make tech for the rest of the Spiders. Hopefully Peter Parker can finally grow up.

Didn't Slott's story right before Secret Wars put Parker Industries in some type of huge scandal?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

There's usually nothing wrong with any of Slott's ideas, he just isn't a very good writer most of the time so it comes off as grating and hard to read.

Also the creep factor in the first 3 or so issues is absolutely ridiculous and everyone should've figured it out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Also fox actually is decent at making movies.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Two Fantastic Four films, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. All poo poo.

Whoa, hold on there. I didn't say they were decent at making good movies. Just that they're good at making them enough to make money. Sony clearly needs Marvel's help in making Spidey. Fox does not.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I think it's been interesting that a recurring element in the SW Spidey books is Peter Parker abandoning/being removed from the role of Spider-Man.

Also the lack of slott except in Renew your Vows, which is by far the weakest Spidey tie-in.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

what does that have to do with anything

The other tie-ins are good. The one by Slott isn't.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Quite a few Iron Man, Tony Starks, Capt Marvel....

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think it'd be difficult to bring over a lot of them anyway, or they're so far removed from their original concept that they aren't all that much different than 616. Also Bendis has been phoning the gently caress in on out.

It does kind of suck that the Ultimate verse is going off with a whimper. RIP best version of Aunt May and Carnage Gwen.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

poo poo like that happened all the time.

I think in Ock's second appearance (the one where he defeats Spidey because Peter has a cold), he calls Spider-Man "Superman".

Hell they had to retcon "Bruce" as the nickname for Banner because they kept loving up his name in the comics and couldn't decide between Robert and Bruce for some reason.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just read Silk 07. The art was a bit rough but I greatly enjoyed seeing how a lot of regular people acted to the end of the world. Also Silk's backstory is a punch to the loving gut.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Not really. I didn't like Superior Foes and didn't keep up with it, but I don't think any characters appeared in Slott's Superior or Amazing. If they have, I'm sure it was mostly ignored. The stuff that happens in that series is gonna be hard to transition to a serious book.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I didn't hate ASM today. It was just standard Slott. I like that Peter is mildly competent and that he figured out Sanjay's shenanigans. On the other hand, he's kind of loving with the ID mindwipe thing since people can "connect the dots" now with his identity but I guess that's a benefit of having presumably multiple Spider-Men all over the world.

I didn't really find the villains all that intriguing, and I'm a bit interested to learn how Parker Industries has quadrupled in growth.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

I just mean, was it intentionally foreshadowed, and not just "yeah, no way they're killing off one of Spidey's most iconic foes forever".

I mean Spider-Verse happened while Ock was "Asleep" and he clearly knew Peter was coming back so it'd be pretty dumb of him not to make a backup.

If it was foreshadowed or hinted at, I have no idea.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ I liked him being a teacher too. But being in a real world school means he couldn't just gently caress off and be Spider-Man every time he hears sirens. I actually really hoped he'd be at the Jean Gray School or Avengers Academy that'd give him that flexibility. But you know, different parts of the 616 aren't going to interact like that.

trashbuilder posted:

Actual real question and not meant as a Dan Slott knock (even if it is):

For a long time spidey was built on the theme of "with great power comes great responsibility" and the limits and sacrifices that come with that and how Peter grows learning and sacrificing. That honestly has not been a theme for a while, pretty much since slott started (maybe JMS) what would you think the theme of the book is now? Don't answer "Being garbage"

The theme of the books seems to be that Peter can plot device himself out of almost any problem. Usually through a brand new suit, or some techno gizmo thing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

He said, after a single issue.

Slott has written Spidey books for several years. He didn't start last week.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm a big fan of JMS Spidey run. I think his first Morlun story is right up there with Nothing Stops the Juggernaut and the Death of Jean DeWolff. I think he stradled the line initially with the totem stuff well, before buying all into his crazy rear end poo poo later. I think his stuff with JRjr holds up over time. Unfortunately I went back and read through his Thor a few years ago and it does NOT hold up at all. It introduced some elements that were welcome changes, such as Asgard on Earth. But yeah

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Inkspot posted:

Didn't they do both during Brand New Day?

He was resurrected as a coffee shop owner, his dad hosed with his relationship(s), he became American Son, and then he ran off with Normie and grew a beard. What has he done since then?

Absolutely nothing, though he was teased for a while as being the new Green Goblin. Peter made a random phone call to him for some password just before Spock came to town, Harry was sporting a Heisenberg beard. He hasn't been seen since, and the "new" GG was just loving Norman. Again.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Castomira posted:

Not to interrupt BND chat but holy poo poo, next year's Spider-Women crossover sounds like pretty much everything I could ever have wanted.

Well I like two of the three. Let's hope Hopeless doesn't drag it all down.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spider-Man has, for the past two decades, at least two other main books and several other books at least loosely related as well. It isn't like there was a ban on those characters. They were being used, just elsewhere.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mover posted:

I have very fond memories of the Loki team-up the JMS run. Actually, have they had much interaction since Loki did the whole being a good guy thing?

JMS actually didn't write that story, or he might have only had a co-writing credit. It was someone who worked on Babylon 5 doing a filler arc, and yeah it was pretty good. I don't think Spidey and Loki ever appeared in anything besides mega events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spider-Man and Human Torch is one of the few relationships that Slott gets.

I'm...intrigued by Harry. But it really isn't setting well with me unless there's some mind control or something going on. Harry is too smart to be fooled by "Spidey's a body guard". Hell, so is Jonah.

• Locked thread