Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Spider-Gwen is going to end up in the Hopeless/Land Spider-Woman ongoing. Nothing Slott can do would be a fate worse for that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

It's almost like the evil Spider Vampire going between universers to murder alternate variations people liked is a stupid idea and using it specifically in this fashion just underlines it.

I really doubt everything will be undone when most of it involves alternate universes who they can break without worrying about having to put back together. Anything 616 related maybe, sure.

It's as bout as dumb as anything else in comics really. It's not as if anybody was going :argh: Hickman the incursions/cabal/whatever killed off the one universe I cared about :argh: And it's Slott which means you know there's a reset button where Peter saves everybody at the end.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's also Slott adding that picture to his twitter and smugly declaring "Heh, killed your childhood? Didn't I do that already?".

His picture is always different Spider-Man characters and the user name is a dumb Halloween username that everybody does on Twitter.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. "Hey guys, what if a villain went through and killed a bunch of recognizable alternate universes" is dumb because it is intentionally playing off of audience favor to generate anger that a less-recognizable setting wouldn't. It is, as I said, a DC comics style idea.

This has been the only one where they've been killed though, most have escaped/teamed up/whatever. It's no different from New Avengers at the moment which has also killed/destroyed established characters like Squadron Supreme in defense of a big multiverse threat. It's a Marvel thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'd forgotten about the Spider Armor one, which again people didn't care about because it wasn't faux outrage.

ImpAtom posted:

Specifically killing off one of the more lighthearted and silly universes doesn't really feel like a Marvel thing to me, no. It feels very much like "hey, remember the time Wendy and Marvel were murdered by Wonder Dog?"

Fun, young and more hip Ultimate Peter Parker was brutally murdered in front of his family while his nemesis laughed/won.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you assume it is faux outrage? It's really insulting you to to go "no, see, you're not actually having feelings, you're just looking to be angry!"

You're really stretching with that point. Ultimate Spider-Man was 'hip' but it wasn't a specifically lighthearted and silly universe. it was frequently grim, or dark, and one where death was (supposed to) have more serious consequences.

The sequence we're discussing literally has Morlun talking about how this world is kinder and gentler than most and doesn't have words to describe the atrocities done to it and ends with the brutally slaughtered bodies of children's cartoon characters being whined over by their pet dog. (And "children's cartoon" is again emphasized by Morlun's dialogue.)

Because nobody cares about Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which had like 20 or so episodes over 30 years ago. It's just more :argh: Dan Slott :argh: as if anybody expected any different this many years into his run.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Senor Candle posted:

Slott is specifically targeting the people who have fond memories about that show and laughing at them while he does it.

Both yourself and OldTennisCourt are taking an offhand comment of "how many childhoods have i supposedly killed now" way too personally. Dan Slott is not laughing at you, he's enjoying writing comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

OldTennisCourt posted:

He changed his name to Dan Slaughterhouse, made that comment, threw a sick burn at that dumb ol cartoon in the comic, and then changed his twitter picture to a picture from the show. It's pretty obvious he's mocking people for being annoyed man.

Again it's just a dumb Halloween thing. Jeff Parker's name is currently Jeff Slenderman, PI. It doesn't mean he thinks he's Slenderman. And he changes his twitter picture to whatever Spider-Man thing he's currently doing.

And a character said the show was just a dumb old cartoon, so what . Morlun is not the guy whose opinions you're supposed to be agreeing with.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

Again, are you seriously wholeheartedly arguing that he chose that particular picture (especially in conjunction with that particular name) with no forethought or care at all and it's a complete coincidence?

I think that Slott goes to the Stan Lee school of working people up in a frenzy in his books so they keep reading (which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right) but I don't think he sat there and changed his username and picture while laughing going "hahahaha that'll show people who liked an old cartoon" while twirling a mustache like he's being painted.

Like that was his username before the book came out, he just changed the avatar, which as he's done for the last few years will be changed again when the next issue comes out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

This thread gets like six posts a week when you aren't rushing in to defend Slott's honor so it's probably not the best place to predict an "I told you so" surge in numbers.

My point was people will still be reading and complaining about Slotts stuff as they did through Big Time, Ends of the Earth, Superior and so on. Or just "not read it" and jump on the recent ~controversial point~ to complain.

And I'm not defending Slott i'm saying people are getting worked up over nothing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aren't the sales for ASM going downhill anyway?

If by that you mean is Amazing Spider-Man Marvel's best selling book, outselling even their regular event books, than yes, yes it is.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which says more about the godawful state of the industry than the book's quality.

Edit: Oh look, the sales are declining.

If you want to ignore the fact that #1 had the unsustainable over half a million sales and don't include like half of the issues that have been released since then, sure.

Also Spider-Verse is going to sell gangbusters too.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 10, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

She's in Spider-Verse and the soon to be terrible Spider-Woman ongoing. I presume this is a reaction to either Spider-Gwen somehow doing a poo poo load of sales or Marvel trying to balance out some of the cancelled books/terrible response to Spider-Woman and the Manara stuff.

No title, no images or plot details and just a random date means it's a rushed together book they hope will catch on.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yes.

Let's go out of our way to harass and annoy creators we don't like. I'm sure all parties involved with look mature and reasonable and an intelligent dialogue will come out of it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, Slott goes out of his way to deliberately antagonise his audience. I'm not sure how posting a single image qualifies as 'harassment'.

No he doesn't and even if he did it's stupid.

Nobody needs to go off and try and be a "cool internet dude" and come back here and try and boast about it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

If you'd rather I'll rephrase to "don't be an idiot and come here to try and boast about it".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gaz-L posted:

And ugh, they're actually calling the ongoing book "Spider-Gwen".

Seriously guys, "Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman" or "Adjective Spider-Woman" or something.

Otherwise, I am totally down.

Maybe it'll get renamed once the actual Spider-Woman series last less than 10 issues. They've really built themselves into a corner with that book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It will still be written by Slott.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

One of the best things about Spider-Verse so far is that in one issue Spider-Gwen has already surpassed how ever many issues of Spider-Girl there was, quality wise.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

They are all Spider-Men/Women. They all have the exact same origin.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

And Miles has the same origin as Ultimate Peter because it's effectively the same spider. And Spider-Gwen has the same origin as Miles because it's the same spider just a dimension removed and so on.

They're all just variants of got bitten by radioactive spider and use the name Spider-Whatever.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

Is Amalgam comics Spider-Boy going to be in this?

No. He's one of the few that isn't.

Like 60's Spider-Man and Toei Spider-Man have already shown up in this since the rights are fine but nobody is touching Amalgam stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Agent Venom is a Bendis character and shunted off into space so was never going to be around. Carnage was given to SIXIS because nobody in the spider books cares to use him at the moment.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

radlum posted:

I want Silk to be an interesting character and I kind of like the ninja mask and her whole costume; I mean, Marvel's prime ninja wears basically a red swimsuit, at least Silk has pants. But I agree with the whole creepyness of "white guy's wet dream" thing; I wish they would get rid of the instinct thing altogether.

I'm sure it'll be watered down and the character will be changed a lot for her own series. People mostly ignore Spider-Woman's weird and creepy pheromone stuff too for the most part.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I am glad that creative freedom was given. What would the comics world be without Wild Thing, Angry Eagle, Darkdevil, Sabreclaw or the greatest Spider character since creation J2.

Unfortunately we must only now put up with the hack Dan Slott.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

He's just seen in a splash page image of different universes in #9 minus his giant robot. Though he also isn't the only Spider person with a giant robot hanging around.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Deadpool posted:

I never understood what people saw in Spider-Girl. I always thought it was a mediocre to bad book. I honestly don't care if Slott kills them all off and then Hickman finishes up that universe for him.

Slott using them is actually one of the few things keeping the character around. At least being included in Spider-Verse means the character doesn't get shunted off to obscurity or included in the various worlds that are incursioned out of existence. Plus giving her a baby to look after means that they have intentions of the character not dying.

Blockhouse posted:

I think it was a great idea done in the most boring way by an old man desperately trying to write a bunch of teenagers.

For the record, I liked the original Spider-Girl ongoing okay but every book after that successfully killed any good will I have for that setting and those characters. Spider-Girl: The End in particular is one of the most intelligence insultingly bad comics I've ever read.

Honestly this is just the same for me. It's just that relic of old editors getting to do a ridiculously outdated book for years, it's a failed (early) attempt at Ultimate Spider-Man but it continued on for years because of DeFalco's sway at Marvel and then he threw a tantrum when Quesada eventually cancelled the book.

I point out J2 specifically with the books because just looking at him you see a style of middle aged dudes trying to pick what's hip in the 90's (even though they are a few years too late with style). I get people having an emotional attachment to the book, I got into Spider-Man when the Clone Saga was coming out and still want Ben Reilly around but I'm not going to pretend that time for Spider-Man was overall some legitimate great piece of work.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 11, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not a Spider-Girl fan but "a character keeps getting written in dark, depressing or bad stories" isn't inherently better than them fading away, especially when they have their own universe. The inability for comic book authors to let a story go rarely works out.

Spider-Girl herself has not been written as dark or depressing and the outcome of Spider-Verse won't be either, bad is subjective. I agree though that the complaints from DeFalco is an example of an authors inability to let go.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

"Her father was murdered by a dimension-travelling vampire" is dark and depressing.

That's a story, not the character themselves being dark and depressing. And again none of Slotts events or stories so far have actually ended on a downer. There is clearly a lot more to happen with this character.

And I never said shut up unhappy fans. I said I understood how people have emotional connections to first stories/old stories they read but nostalgia clouds a lot of the outrage over the Spider-Girl stuff and if you're talking quality it's not as if it's miles beyond what Slott is doing.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 11, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Obviously Silk and Spider-Woman don't count as female characters getting their own ongoings from the event because they're too boring or whatever.

Newspaper Spider-Man story was fun and nice that even evil Slott couldn't bring himself to kill off the character.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

notthegoatseguy posted:

Were there too many two page spreads in this book? I honestly felt it was a bit hard to follow everything.

Seemed like pretty standard Coipel to me, wasn't particularly difficult to follow or that. He's not lasting the series though, because, Coipel.

I'll continue on with the main series and the clone adventures in Scarlet Spiders, not touching the others. Was a weird slowed down pacing issues but I guess they needed to show that all the Spider-People can't just stand around and punch everybody at once.

I'd read a book/ongoing with Spider-Punk.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sheldon Vella and I have a story about him in Spider-Verse #2!

Well you've just convinced me to buy Spider-Verse #02. I really hope they live in an all Punk Universe.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

So Old Man Spidey is "Ezekiel"... um... who the hell is Ezekiel? Am I supposed to know him?

Otherwise I thought this issue was alright and I'm totally down for Scarlet Spiders.

Ezekiel is the guy from JMS' run that introduced Morlun and the totem nonsense and that. He basically killed himself during the run to save Peter because Peter's ~the real hero~.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

There's a reason he's from Earth-138.

Yessssssssssss :getin:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Slott isn't writing Silk's ongoing and she's already got a female artist on board to correctly redesign her costume so there you go.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hoodie Scartet Spider is the best Spider-Man costume, this is just fact.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yes.

The editorial mandates PAD got were pretty much do a Spider-Man book but don't use any of the main characters which somehow meant use alternate universe evil Uncle Bens.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jeez calm down already.

The characters are in shock given that they've just seen what they thought to be the most powerful Spider-Man get chumped and are momentarily distracted.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

WickedHate posted:

You're cool Waterhaul, but your defense of Slott always baffles me. That it involved the most powerful character getting worfed just makes it worse.

It was a dumb fun book. The bad guy jumped a character and it cut away before we saw what happened after that point. It was also a book where Miles, Ultimate Spider-Man (from the cartoon, complete with cut away jokes) and 60's Spider-Man team up and rather than enjoying the fun of it we're getting dumb Dark Tittyfan and Red Hood levels of character adoration and whining.

And even still if there is a failure on the final scene it'd be on Coipel not showing Morlun getting the jump on Spider-Girl rather than on Slott's dialogue.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

JediTalentAgent posted:

On this note, and maybe this is just me revealing my ignorance, for all the popularity Norman/GG has as Spider-Man's greatest enemy, was he used all that much in comics prior to his death? Granted, there's been tons of 'goblin' characters over the last several decades to keep the spirit of goblin foe alive and he did kill Gwen.

But even when he was revived nearly 20 years ago in the comics, it seemed like a lot of fan response that I heard was rather unenthusiastic about his return, but admittedly a lot of that DID stem from him having a pretty certain death in the comics and fans just didn't like that death was just undone.

The clone saga is what gave us super planner/mastermind Osborn, before that he was just crazy dude who hated Spider-Man/Peter Parker whenever he remembered his identity. Since he was brought back to life it's basically been a constant thing where every other writer puts forward that either Ock or Goblin are Peter's greatest enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Nowadays a lot of that is probably also due to the films.

Yeah. Goblin has the personal connection to Peter with killing Gwen so whenever there's any adaptation it's always Goblin, Peter, love interest and a bridge. Ock has the bonus of being the first to beat Peter and kill Capt. Stacy but lacks the personal connection, though various writers try to change that.

• Locked thread