Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I tried reading Spiderman from BND but it's kind of boring and I don't like the revolving cast of writers. Recommendations for a good place to pick it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1

But if you really really want to I guess just start wherever Slott started as the only writer and that will bring you to the present.

Yeah it's really painful to read Bendis Spidey and then read exposition lord Slott. My main problem with Ultimate Spidey is I'm not the biggest fan of Bagley.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah tbh I'm not crazy about the art for most of the series but it didn't stop me from really enjoying it.

Yeah once Immonen gets on the book it's golden, but he wasn't there for terribly long.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I laughed out loud at "Kraven's nipples called they want their face back".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

It's really awesome that the amazing spider man is now teaching kids that you cant be a hero unless you're a mega rich owner of a multi million dollar company. What a wonderful message to send to young people who are down on their luck and don't have the luxury of being mega awesome and mega smart all the time.

This is the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever read.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The whole point of Spiderman is that peter parker provides the relatable face of the everyman, he was someone who is relatable and people can associate with, while he also goes about being a hero, he still needs to carry on with the struggles we're all faced with in our every day lives. By making him into a mega rich billionaire, they've removed any way to relate to him, he's now just another rich guy who 99% of young people will never be like.

He's not a mega rich billionaire that's the whole point. He specifically talked about how his corp. is not-for-profit and that he's taking a middle manager's salary. He also talked about how Uncle Ben used to help people out even though he didn't have any money and did what he could with what he had. He's basically applying his Spiderman principles to global capitalism, which, I assume, is going to be a point of conflict going forward. Did you actually read the issue?

Like I dunno how you could read the pages where he lays out the vision for Parker Industries and come away with "Peter Parker is now a bad role model". Jesus Christ.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing is, most kids will struggle for the rest of their lives to pay their rent while the new peter parker will have everything he wants in life, it really is as simple as that. When a kid reads the old peter parker, he thinks, "wow this guy is down on his luck, he struggles with his girlfriend, he needs to deal with an overbearing boss just like I do, but he's inspired by his family, and he's doing what he can to help his community and save his town, I should be more like him!"

but now, with this peter parker they will respond with " oh, of course, he's got everything and is super smart and handsome all the time and I've got nothing so there's no point in being a hero since all I have to look forward to is making my rent in time".

These kids are never going to have superpowers, but they are going to live under global capitalism and if the lessons they learn are "don't exploit 3rd world labor, executive compensation is out of control and do what you can with whatever money you have to help others" well then that's fine.

Your reading is so far off base, it only makes sense if you went into thinking "I hate Dan Slott. I will now dig up evidence to prove he sucks".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I don't know who's Dan Slott, but I know who Spiderman and peter parker, and he's not someone who's successful day in, day out. Save that for a different character, or better yet, make what you're saying apply to Iron Man. Living under global capitalism means that you're going to have to learn that there's a good chance you'll end up being ground to dirt, Peter Parker was one of those people, but for a different era, maybe they could've changed his job or whatever but kept his overall social status so that's he's not a supremely unattainable persona to most people, you haven't just changed how much money he has, you've changed who he is, and a steely silicon valley business man who says fancy words but lives like a baller is not the reason why so many people liked spider man/peter parker to begin with.

You're thinking of Tony Stark.

Any way I'm sorry to come across as rude, I didn't realize you were new to comic books. You're describing Peter as he hasn't been in a long time, and I think that the modern take on him is both interesting and different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also all he said was "Hey Shanghai I love you".

Unless I'm forgetting something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God every thread is putting John Cena over today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've not finished Superior, so is Doc Ock in that robot a shocking return from the dead or did we have an idea that his mind was bouncing around somewhere?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just mean, was it intentionally foreshadowed, and not just "yeah, no way they're killing off one of Spidey's most iconic foes forever".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just going to read the rest of Superior and then I'll tell y'all what happened I guess...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He said, after a single issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

With MJ over at Stark and Peter and Tony operating in the same spheres now on a corporate level, I wonder if they are planning some serious beef between the two CEOs.

• Locked thread