Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Morrison said back when he was doing his Marvel work that he just didn't have anything to say with or about Spidey.
I believe he also said something to the effect that he finds Spider-Man depressing since Peter's life will always be hosed up somehow and the character is counter to a lot of what he likes to say through superhero stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

atomicgeek posted:

That was part of the JMS run. (It was a favorite of mine, too.) I liked that his writing was true to the sort of, what, wiseass blue collar Spidey thing while at at the same time forcing Peter to grow up in a lot of ways.

I also think he nailed how May would react to finding out about Spider-Man. Such a shame they rolled that back because it just played out perfectly.
I think history is going to really remember JMS's run pretty poorly which is fair, but also a shame. A lot of stuff like Sins Past can go gently caress itself, but there was still some good in that run, especially around Civil War. JMS really did a great job selling why Peter unmasking makes sense for the character. May reminding him that he made a lot of the decisions about what Spider-Man was as a child made sense. His handle of the family unity of Pete, May, and MJ was also really great.

In general, I really loved where Pete seemed to be going around Civil War. The notion that Peter needed to grow up and live up to his potential beyond just being Spider-Man made sense. And it seems to have become this new trope that Marvel will circle around, but not necessarily really move forward with. His bromance with Tony was wonderful even if I could have done without Iron-Spider. I was sincerely excited for where Marvel was going to go with Peter. And I know complaining about One More Day is silly at this point, but it was a bummer.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 5, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Nah I'm mocking the fact that JMS got in a strop because he obviously forget her arm was broken and did his usual whining when people called him out on it so had to include that scene in the book. At least Slott keeps his complaining to twitter.
I think you're making that page sound a lot more mean spirited than it was. I felt like JMS was making fun of himself more than anything.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

That Gwen needs to be put into 616 immediately. That costume is awesome.
I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Gwen's Peter died in a similar fashion to 616 Pete before she hooked up with party-boy Flash Thompson. So, you get this situation where Peter and Gwen are basically finding alternate versions of themselves who are mutually more capable of protecting themselves against supervillains.

I mean, at the very least, it's predetermined that Spider-Gwen's Pete is dead and her dad was probably her Ben as well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'd be fine with the occasional miniseries or one-shot. Maybe make a point of sticking her in when they do multiverse stuff.
You can fall into the problem where her schtick becomes her traveling between dimensions as opposed to what people are reacting positively to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Accidentally or not, I always felt Ock worked as a mirror to Peter, if not Spider-man. The resentful nerd Peter once was could easily have grown into someone as bitter and sad as Dr. Octavius.
Doctor Octopus Year One really pushed that with flashbacks to young Octavious. I can't really remember anything else about that book though.

• Locked thread