Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't disagreement over The Green Goblin's identity at least partially responsible for Steve Ditko leaving both Spider-Man and Marvel?

We'll never know for sure but I would hope that Goblin's identity was not that important to Ditko. I figure it was more like Ditko kept wanting the stories to go one way and Stan kept saying no and this particular time was just the last straw.

Also, Goblin identity stories never go well. Norman's reveal cost them Ditko, the Bart Hamilton reveal was lame, Hobgoblin was a decade-plus clusterfuck of a mystery that pleased nobody... Does Menace count as well? She's not exactly a counter argument either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

It's always really odd to me in a universe where souls are demonstrably proven to exist that digital mind clones don't cause more fuckups. it means either someone figured out how to digitize the soul or they are weird soulless bodies running around fueled entirely by false self or somehow souls are created out of nothing

Digital minds and characters who have supernatural possession-type powers like Sandman lead one to conclude that there is the terrifying prospect of minds being potentially immortal. How does a brain in a jar stop thinking or kill itself?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am really tired of them trotting out clones of Gwen Stacy every time the jackal is involved with anything. It's about as bad as sinister and his fleet of Scott and jean clones.

Like that Garth Ennis "superhero" Dogwelder, maybe Jackal needs a name change. Beware the guile of the gruesome... Gwencloner!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Petercloner!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All masked henchmen are clones of Gwen. Every supervillain's got `em.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man's costume was designed in the 60s. Maybe that's what they're going for.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man's identity has rarely been 100% secure. Times when nobody has known who he is are very few and very short. There's been somebody who's known who he is since, what... Romita-era Green Goblin?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hell, as per Parallel Lives, MJ knew all along.

Yeah, with the retcon it's been since Day 1 but I mean from the experience of readers following along in real time it's still pretty early that someone finds out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

An out-of-the-blue question: does anyone picture Peter's face when they see Spider-Man? Whenever I see Peter doing Spider-Man stuff in his regular clothes, or if he's fighting without his mask for some reason, it's always shocking to see how they draw it, especially if his expression is that of anger or crying out. It looks wrong. Made me realize that I never think about Peter's face being behind the mask. Spider-Man's mask is Spider-Man's face to me. Saying that out loud (or typing it, w/e) makes it sound like maybe the biggest "yeah, no poo poo Lobok" statement but I just never articulated it to myself before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I always liked when his mouth would open up and his face would be in the mouth.

I'm the opposite. Brock Venom is supposed to be the symbiote being inextricably bonded. I prefer that the face/head you see is the only one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

I like the symbiote being able to peel away from parts of Brock to show the man underneath

To be clear, I don't dislike this. It's just that when the symbiote is covering his head, that should be the only head. Same as The Mask. It's not a covering that talks and animates separately and over top of Brock's face. They're one and the same.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is on Netflix and I checked out an episode. That is one rough cartoon. I don't know what I was expecting but the animation was terrible. The show skewed much younger than I thought, too.

Oh, and "Spider-Friends Go For It!" can't hold a candle to "Wallopin' Websnappers!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

The two most notable things are Frank Welker recycling the Freddie from Scooby Doo voice as Iceman, which is a weird choice, and how blatantly Firestar is just MJ with superpowers.

Yeah I heard Welker instantly, though I've never been much of a Scooby fan so to me it sounds like Ray from The Real Ghostbusters. I think I remember hearing that the Ray/Freddie type voice is pretty much just how Frank Welker sounds normally. It's his villains and animals that are the real efforts.

Good call on Firestar. There's a part where the three of them are hanging out with Aunt May and I was confused for a sec, especially since nobody in the episode (the very first one) is ever properly introduced. Really seemed like MJ with brown hair.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The red and blue on his forearm look weird. Without any clear markings between them, those two colours mixed like with the musculature make it look like an anatomy figure.

And that mouth, what the gently caress?

Does anybody at Marvel remember when Bagley was good at making costumes? No, of course not, because there was never a time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

`spose if Brock has to be back as Venom we might as well get some good art out of it (for one issue...?)

https://twitter.com/TraddMoore/status/832310679017291776

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is he going to be back as Venom permanently or is this just a history of Venom leading to Brock, but not Brock in the symbiote, coming back? Cause that's definitely a "history of venom" splash thing there.

It's a history of both of them, which is fitting if they're ending back up together. We don't see the beginning with Peter's time with the symbiote but we see other people the symbiote has been with, and its spawn, and we see Brock's time both before the symbiote and after they had separated.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, in the aftermath of Clone Conspiracy, I think Chris Yost's Clone Saga sequel idea would have been far superior:
https://twitter.com/yost/status/832395486527000577

How much would you bet that it would feature the "Mr. Sinister Six" at some point?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think you mean 'Sinister's Six'.

OK but only if Spider-Man points out that it's really awkward enunciating the two consecutive S's.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It also is a callback to a very early issue of Amazing when Pete and Flash were still in high school and one of the teachers had them try to settle their differences in the gym's boxing ring. Which sounds horrifically sadistic if the teacher knew anything about the jock/nerd bully/victim relationship the two of them had.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Is this the part where I rant that Pete should have been the one to take Norman down in Siege?

Because Pete should have been the one to take Norman down in Siege.

gently caress Tony.

If the resurrection and recharacterization of Osborn was to make him a villain for the wider Marvel U than it stands to reason that Spider-Man shouldn't always be the go-to for solving an Osborn problem.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Doc Ock as Spider-Man's arch-enemy better than the Green Goblin. I think a lot of Osborn being Peter's worst enemy is retroactively applied and if you go back and read a lot of those Silver Age and Bronze Age issues, Doc Ock is still treated as the "main" bad guy.

I'm actually struggling to think of Spider-Man villains who were really good and had real staying power who were created after the 1960s. There's Hobgoblin, maybe Hammerhead and possibly the Jackal if you count him separately from Miles Warren. Who else?

Goblins as a whole are arguably Spider-Man's greatest villain, not any single Goblin. Norman's legacy in other words (until he came back) because Harry became one and because it spawned Hobgoblin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Doc Ock as Spider-Man's arch-enemy better than the Green Goblin. I think a lot of Osborn being Peter's worst enemy is retroactively applied and if you go back and read a lot of those Silver Age and Bronze Age issues, Doc Ock is still treated as the "main" bad guy.

I'm actually struggling to think of Spider-Man villains who were really good and had real staying power who were created after the 1960s. There's Hobgoblin, maybe Hammerhead and possibly the Jackal if you count him separately from Miles Warren. Who else?

Depends what you mean by staying power. Do they have to appear regularly? Because someone like Cardiac seemed destined to remain a relic of Bagley's run on Amazing back in the early 90s but he was used around the time of Superior Spider-Man. Speaking of the 90s, TV animated series boosted Hydro-Man's profile and he's made a decent number of appearances in Spider-Man and FF comics since then. The 80s gangmembers have lasted pretty well, too. You mentioned Hammerhead but Tombstone, too. The Rose hung around for a while, like I remember him being a part of Spider-Hunt. Was Spot already mentioned?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know you asked for the current main title but if you've been out of the game for this long then that means you missed the vast majority of Ultimate Spider-Man, which was never the main title but has been the biggest comics influence on all other Spider-Man media and adaptations since...? Norman Osborn's return in the mid-to-late 90s?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Norman's return in the 90s, as lovely as it was, kinda set the stage for the Ultimate line, didn't it? What with turning Norman into a boring dimestore Lex Luthor mastermind type who has big evil plans but maintains a respectable facade.

Probably set the tone yeah. Maybe Bendis would have done it anyway since it was a reimagining but Osborn back in the day was much more sympathetic and perhaps tragic. It really did seem as though he sufferred this terrible second personality from the accident rather than him being an evil industrialist prick to begin with. The 90s cartoon and Raimi both did the classic Osborn but everything else does the Luthor-style Osborn.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

In the 90's cartoon Norman was literally working with the Kingpin and designed and outfitted the Hobgoblin before becoming the Green Goblin.

There are two parts to it. Not just what he was doing but how he was going about it. You're disputing the "evil industrialist" part and you're right about what Osborn was doing. I don't remember the plot well enough to know but was Osborn pressured or blackmailed into doing it? I remember him acting like he was constantly on the verge of a breakdown.

The other part is the Luthor-style mastermind. What I do remember about that cartoon is Osborn's personality and the power dynamic between him and the Kingpin. In that show Osborn was weak and decidedly un-Luthor like. It was the Goblin persona, that second personality I mentioned from classic pre-death comics, that was differentiated from Osborn as the powerful villain. Whereas when he returned in the comics he was just one personality who was supremely confident and competent in both his business and villainy. No more of those Romita panels of Osborn covered in flop sweat, all dazed and confused. No more Peter wondering if Osborn was over it, or cured, like it was a medical condition and not who he actually was as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

irlZaphod posted:

I read the first 2 issues of Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man. It's good, and it's fun, but I dunno. I kind of like my Spidey books with more of a serious tone, and humour injected into it, if that makes sense. I suppose it's not a bad thing to differentiate the two Peter Parker Spidey books on the stands, though.

Having different styles and tones is definitely better. Not like the old days when each title was simply another storyline that was somehow happening at the same time as the others.

• Locked thread