Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

SweetBro posted:

Where does one get Jade Fragments? How many times can you usually use a workbench before it expires?

Jade frags dont drop anymore, they came from a box you paid gold for. You paid 5 gold for 5 frags and a chance of getting one of the jianghu internal frags. You needed 45 bucks worth of boxes to get one of the sets offered through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Today I learned that I can loot the environment. I haven't seen it happen anywhere but in POMF, but if you find an object in the world that shows up as "Look what we have here" you can run up to it, right click it and loot it. Ive gotten satin from washing barrels, food from tables, vinegar/salt from kitchens, bread from ovens, ingots from stone piles, wood from wood ones, bags from closets.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
The game keeps dropping mad dosh on me on an almost daily basis. I dont know what I've done to merit chinagames blessings but they seem endless. Today I went to the eclipse and somehow scored 3 reward tickets despite not having any aoe of note to help score kills. I go back after the event is over to claim them, first two are chi pills, the third...a taoist divination intermediate.

I was thinking of dropping real money to get 9 palaces when the boxes came back on sale. I think I'll just outright buy it from someone with dings instead
:getin:

e-We also cleared the POMF weekly event we've been struggling with 8 seconds to spare. Jeez that was a rush.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

Third World Reggin posted:

How does kakis have that much land still.

Any attempt to actually get new land is incredibly :flaccid:

I mean why would you, outside of stables and more guild space?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Apparently they are adding a second dark hour next week while everyone is asking them to just make kidnapping vip only.

Also new top up event, buy 2000 gold and get a magic bunny pet. Thats 600 bucks worth of gold for a bunny. :allears:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

randombattle posted:

Beast Villa is all beat up animals and beat up people who beat up animals.

Similarly, POMF has many events and quest involving saving girls from a life of slavery and then turning them into flower slaves. You see its different because even though you are doing menial tasks in a palace, you get to wear a pretty dress and learn kung fu while you're there.

The world of Jianghu is full of contradictions.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
The cash sets are some of the strongest skills in the game because they provide massive control and red armor, which nullifies control while you are attacking. They still aren't the strongest sets, like the ancient sets can be gotten in game, but the rarity of those basically leads to buying currency to afford them.

A well played character (with low ping) can still beat a p2w ancient horse lord like we saw last Hua, where a t4 emei beat out Motuo. But its an incredibly steep challenge and all it takes is a ancient tai chi fist to 9 palaces rage to wipe out anyone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Yeah, usually at around 1900-2000 server time the game decides to start taking a dump and poo poo out all the REs it needs to meet the days quota so try to be there around that time. Like I've decided to do TPs during that time for 3 days and we'd have to suspend them consistently because everyone keeps getting REs. You see a massive amount of server message spam of people getting tables, looms and blocks during this time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
This silver trade thing is specifically for silver viper though, I dont think the previous one applied for them.

I still dont know what is up with snails pricing scheme for these things except that they are using some weird as gently caress model straight from china where newly minted rich people spend insane amount of money on silly things. Just about every other F2P game over here would be selling these things for a third of the price and have BOGOs or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

funakupo posted:

So if they introduce another kidnap timeslot (what is the proposed time for it?), would someone crash course me on best kidnapping for it? Best as in decent unbound for time invested; no poopsocking/cheeving crap to get max benefits...

Do I just grab 1 guy during kidnap hour and have the normal cooldown?

or

I assume something with the shady kidnapper in large cities happens and do that one?

The kidnapping time is already in. First time starts at 1400 server, and lasts around 1700. Second kidnapping time starts at 2000 and ends at around 23-2400? Im usually asleep before it actually finishes so I dont know. The times aren't really solid, its up till the tael quota is met.

The 1400 doesnt have darkminded, so all you do is kidnap like you used to. The 2000 one has darkminded, so if you can actually kidnap in the chosen city you enjoy a lower timed debuff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Give it at try and report back on your findings. Maybe we could goonrush another :chinagame: if its worth it. Plus its being managed by perfect world, which although thats horrible in its own sense, it still better than Snail.

e-Actually the beta hasnt even started yet so unless someone's played the CN version, they wont be able to tell you.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 13, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah I thought we had some people playing the Chinese Age of Wushu who might have tried the Chinese Swordsman.

I'll get it all installed, try it out on Monday, and report back.

I think Im going to join you, its only 10 bucks and reading the Wiki makes it sound like a different flavor of wuxia since its based on other works. They did go a little overboard with some of the sect names though.

Like you're already calling Wudang Wutang, thats fine. Shaolin is shaolin, emei is emei, but why call Heng "infinity" or Hua "splendor". Just leave it like that for that extra chinese feeling.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

randombattle posted:

I installed it a while back but the servers weren't actually on yet. Did they finally start the beta/release?

Starts on monday :regd08:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

Third World Reggin posted:

That game doesn't look great, mainly the combat.

It looks like you got 5 or so levels to go before picking a school.

PvP is in any zone that is not a school or city.

And not a lot of features are in yet like you are in a guild, now what.

Some of the youtubes are really really bad, specially the first few that youtube spits on you. Like, I saw the first few and I was seriously turned off with the combat, but the more I dug the better it looked. Like the pve combat is leagues better than AoW (that isnt saying much buuuut), and most of the 1v1 PVP videos look interesting without knowing what the gently caress is actually happening and as long as the game doesnt have ancient tai beating horselords then it'll have better 1v1 pvp as well.

I mean, even 3v3s look pretty drat interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NVdcs08xA&t=11924s

Also, apparently there are things to do in guilds. Like you can raid other guilds coffers for artifacts and participate in running/raiding carts, an interview made it look like there are other mercenary/bandit based activities.

vvv
99% of the skills in the game can be trained regardless of the school but you need to get the books and pages from those schools to learn them. Very rarely will you use something from thats not from your school/cash shop unless its:

1)Horsing/Circle the moon to recover health and IF
2)Golden Buddha for more damage mitigation mostly in pve
3)Perish Blade for pve

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 13, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

randombattle posted:

Age of Wushu did the exact same thing fyi.

Except in AoW it wasnt the fastest and it lasted for like 2 weeks. It was 20 bucks though.

Seriously, this games love for expiring items can go gently caress itself. Bag/bank space is on such a huge premium given the amount of poo poo the game has to clog it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
EVE doesnt outright ban you from illegal currency trading, they just take the total money you bought from your wallet. This often leads to massive negative value wallets with very little ways of going back to black without buying plexes and selling them in the market. I remember some years ago there was a massive RMT sweep that lead to several top rollers with negative wallet accounts in the tens of billions, they then proceed to mass buy plexes to pay of their debt, crashing the plex market for a few weeks.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

Haroshia posted:

The problem with doing this in Wushu is they would have to destroy the items and skills bought with the cash, rather than the cash itself. The buy back practice of Snail is a massive issue that's wide open for corruption. The big issue is they don't NEED to do these things to make money, but whatever. The US market of this game is a cash grab by the company, and the entertainment derived from it comes from the players.

Well sort of but not entirely. In EVE you still keep all the things you bought with the illicit money. The only difference is that after the player regains a positive wallet the total effect that the RMT has on the economy is very close to 0 . In AoW the end outcome is that the currency will still be inside the system, but this would have happened even if the player didnt buy the currency illegally. Like if Mutou bought 10D from an illicit chinaman and got caught by Snail and they later ransom his account for 10D worth dollars at their rates. If Mutou pays, the end result in the system is the same; 10 dings were added to it.

The problem really stems from Snail selling taels in the first place. If they had a direct gold for player owned tael market it would be a little less cashgraby and would lead to less fuckery of the markets on their own part.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Swordsman beta is up a little early, giving it a try and Im actually impressed with the presentation right now. Chinese voice acting with proper english subtitles, a UI that is much easier to read and on the eyes, character creation is pretty in depth with sliders for just about everything (also multiple hair styles and hair colors, not everyone has black hair), 3 modes of movement (Chinagame classic click and move, typical 3d mmo and "action" mode (think neverwinter more so than gw2).

Also by the time you are done with the tutorial (like 10 minutes) you'll already be ready to pick a school, you click on each guide and they tell you about it and have video tutorials on each of the schools 3 styles. Its pretty awesome.

Combat seems pretty meaty as well, killing npcs have them go all ragdoll on you and the weapons they have fly all over the place. You can even kick em while they are dead to move the corpse around.

e- Negatives include basically no threat so far at level 10. (like 20 minutes into it). There is no chance for me to die, this could be because I picked a tanky healer class but I doubt it. Questing is basically Wushu click and move to location, kill or talk to whatever the quest is telling you to do. There are tons of people, hundreds on screen at a time and it can bog down the framerate. Combat gets sort of stiff but Im thinking thats because of the level given the videos in the game about the styles. I'm assuming i'll get attacks with momentum later on. Im going to try out another class and see if it feels the same.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 16, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

You found Arus in this game.

Also I take back what I said about the combat feeling stiff. The classes have really different feel to how they operate and I was just not feeling Infinity that much. Moved to Harmony and its boss as hell. Dash attacks, poison attacks that disintegrate mobs when you kill them, attacks that leave a trail of after images. Plus I carry around an umbrella sword without spending 50 bucks for it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Im assuming that by the time you are 35 you'll have people above the affection minimum to establish a guild as long as you do instances together. Theres also something called a "gang" that requieres the player to have 999 affection together. God knows how thats different. Guilds apparently are divided into carebears and griefers and the type of guild you pick dictates the activities you do.

I still dont know if there is actual guild vs guild combat but apparently you can be dicks by denying people access to your territory and steal poo poo from their vaults.

Haroshia posted:

Can I murder people who barely speak English?
Jianghu mode is literally called "Murder Mode" and it opens up at 35. You start collecting infamy and if your name turns red you'll drop your own money and loot if you are killed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Nothing incredibly egregious in the store either. Basically clothing, mounts, umbrellas, some tour tickets (god knows what they do). Nothing really that expensive other than the wedding gear, the high end tour tickets and mounts.

Just got done with the boat story quest and it was anime/jianghu as all hell. I had huge grin through out it. Looks like acrobatics are used like in B&S to move around certain areas in a cool fashion. Actual movement options are sort of limited right now to double jumping but the game has keybinds for sprinting and other things so Im assuming it'll open up eventually. Also you can air recover when you get knocked up/down and it looks great.

Pretty much everything so far is very extensive tutorial all the way to level thirty, I'm surprisingly ok with this given the speed that you level so far. The game seems to have a lot of meat hidden down there with how custom styles and lost skills could work. Also how you upgrade your characters attacks and stats.

e-Mind, you dont need to use the cash shop for guild things. The item itself tells you that it can be acquired in game and the games helpful compendium tells you the process.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
I wasnt really feeling 5 poisons at first but the second set really opened me up to them and I'm loving it. Harmony's second set is baller as gently caress as well but they are really fragile. Never meshed with infinity though, their counter mechanics might be interesting in pve but I doubt they'll be all that useful in pvp, their damage is pretty mediocre and if I wanted a baller tank I'd play a wudang.

Really hard to decide which of the two to keep since I like them both, Im assuming Harmony will be flavor of the monthlike so I'll probably stick to 5 poison. I'll give zephyr and splendor a try during the next beta phase.

I hope that the scryee/dollar is close to 100/1 because paying 50 cents for 5 more bag space owns. I wish AoW had something like that instead of its horrible bag system.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Age of Wushu, you were the most innovative MMO I've played in years. You could have been fantastic forever if your entire business model wasn't designed to empower the .1% and treat everyone else like proles. Also if your game wasnt so ping dependent. And if you hadn't made more servers when you launched. And if it wasn't so easy to screw up the economy. And if schools weren't useless.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Im pretty sure ancient sets were around the time we were in the beta with only second internals. They were just super rare and only like one dude had ancient tai chi fist.

Its pretty horrible how a few sets would absolutely ruin most forms of PVP. 9 palaces, sword suck and ancient tai chi ruined large scaled pvp. Dog beating, tai chi+9 palaces would ruin most 1v1 pvp. There were other strong sets, but nothing could match those.

Seriously, hope someone finds a way to steal the games server code and make an emulated version that only has schools and factions. None of the yianghu inners or bought sets.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

Man look how relaxed that girl looks. Makes me sleepy just looking at her.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
By the time this gets here we'll all be playing black desert, ffxiv 5.0 and WoW Return of the Litch King.

-e Also the entire combat system is being reworked and the closed beta is going to delayed for up to 10 months. Dont get hyped guys, you'll be waiting for a long time.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 29, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
I thought netease (WoWs china distributor) had sued snail already for that game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Yeah a proper emulated server would do wonders for age of wushu. Imagine playing AoW without bonkers ancient or cash shop sets and instead concentrating on school and faction sets. Tune out the exemplar internals so they are more in line with the others and you could have a really balanced and fun game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Have datails of moon blades revamped combat come out yet?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
That character creator is literally Black Deserts but china version. It even has the same UI.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
A very good post for a bad chinagame :3:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
The best bet would be if someone else entirely unrelated to snail deals with the localization/publishing here in the states.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

https://u.pomf.is/mhzajh.webm

Thunderbolt Fantasy is unironically good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Im always up to following the lady into the guest room but if this games production just started it'll be another 3-4 years till its done and another 3 to get it localized

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Honestly, they should just do what Tree of Savior did and have the localization be crowd sourced. It worked out pretty well all things considered.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

aleksendr posted:

And maybe pretty soon.

From what i understand of UE4 engine it was designed to make localisation less of a pain for the devs (thanks Europe !) and Snail plan to self publish AOW2 worldwide in 2017.

Cant wait for "No Horse Day!" again.

Snail self published in the US and it was horrible. Hopefully the actual china people managing the game are better but the horror story of one of the head honchos allegedly saying something about making whales feel like kings and f2pers peasants isnt encouraging. I would pay a steady sub for the game if it meant not having to worry about bullshit p2w styles and being able to log off and continue cultivation or whatever they'll use to develop your characters while offline.

Also gently caress the meridian system

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Stop being tsundere

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation

Kylra posted:

Awww yeah! Standing around! That's exactly what I wanna do in a video game!

Lost Ark is like the new age of korean MMO where all of them are trying to be an MMO/Diablo hybrid. I have no idea what the gently caress happened in korea to have companies shift into this fad but it all started a million years ago with lineage 3, a game that is still in production.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Im guessing because NCsoft already has a stranglehold on every variety of MMO in the korean market so trying to make a straight up updated lineage doesnt make sense. Aion and B&S have their markets in korea and still make a lot of money too. So they just try to diversify and see if they can strike gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Im guessing thats just something they added for the korean market