Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The way they described AoW 2 sounded entirely different from an updated aow with a new engine. Its hilarious if they just said gently caress it and decided to just update the original client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

yes...YES

a genre of games notorious for its jank is having one made by snail of all people

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saradiart posted:

There's also some server that was recently released that is relatively inoculated from pay2win by virtue of not having any perks for purchasing silver and completely shutting down the in game cash shop, thereby removing the cash shop sets.

I would play on this server if I wasn't in the middle of a shithole without regular internet right now. Just to relive that old pre-insanity cash shop AoW that we played during the beta.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Of course

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ran's awakening is like WV dual blades but 100% more anime from the looks of it

Always looking for that chinagame fix to take me back

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haquer posted:

Isn't that the same game that has like mandatory "cosmetics" because they give bonus stats?

Or am I thinking of another lovely Korean mmo

the bonuses are imperceptible for the most part and you are mostly spending 60 bucks to look like big tittied angel punching things to dust

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Underwear gives you 1 luck, which no one loving knows how it works or if it even works in the first place. You get 3 luck permanently to all your characters unlocking titles in the game you can get 2 extra luck by equipping gems but no one loving knows if luck even works so no one bothers. Clothes gives you 10% extra combat exp, you can get upwards of 300% extra with items they hand out so an extra 10% is pretty imperceptible when you are grinding poo poo for 14 hours or something. Pets are infinitely more useful than either of those two since they actively cut down on the time you are kneeling to loot and some cut your harvesting time.

Nothing in BDO is remotely as bad as cash shop skill sets or buying ding directly from the games store. So if you survived wushu you can survive just about anything korea throws at you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd say that if wushu was just slightly better mechanically executed and ran a whole lot better with less blatant cashgrabs then it would have been one of the best MMO experiences to this day. Closed beta was the highlight of the game when we weren't subjected to full snail, those few months were easily the most original experience Ive had in an MMO in years.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

Conceptually, offline players becoming NPCs is cool a heck. Kidnapping them and selling them into indentured servitude was also funny and excellent.

But yes, Snail things ruined it all.

There is a lot of original poo poo thats great in Wushu. Non standard leveling system that has you interact with people to maximize your levels and not just poopsocking quest or mobs is cool. The ability to learn other schools abilities (at a penalty) or learning neutral schools is cool. The ethical system of the schools (Having to be bat poo poo crazy to join female only hidden school, allowing a single dude in the server to be able to join your bat poo poo coven) + crime and punishment is cool (empress wu and her merry ban of ninja police) Having to chop off your dick to gain ultimate power. Bucket Brigade.

But for every good thing the game had there was a myriad of other problems mostly stemming from incompetence and downright greed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I have a good feeling that the next chinagame will be the one!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Do not tempt me back into chinagame

17.2GB .rar file what am I doing. Its pulling me back!

In all seriousness I'm actually wanting to see this game again. To see the early game experience on a game so impenetrable as wushu, how a few years and a different publisher can make it differece

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 22, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Also make a character prior to installing the english patch. Chinagame owning me already :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ah, I can be a little girl. How can I kidnap people when Im like 4 feet tall

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So while I was gone emei got a weapon skill set all about destroying patriarchal dynasties

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When you pick your school at the stage coach you can go through every one of them including the yianghu and advanced "secluded" schools that your main one branches into. You can see all the weapon skills, internals and requirements.

Maybe its the time of day but I didnt see anyone playing inside mount emei. Also I remembered how horrible the games monetization is even with cheaper prices. An hour based horse/bag system???

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Discord can answer that better than me since I just started yesterday. I dont know anything about the server

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I didnt get to script steal back in US wushu because it was too late and I dont get to script steal here because its like 9am and I'm in the middle of work so chinagame never changes.

Also I was heading out to learn farming and this started playing and I felt this wave of nostalgia hit me like a truck.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone mentioned that the china servers had an update that made it more difficult to farm dungeons solo and one of the reasons why malasya was chosen was because they didn't think that it would garner a whole lot of people coming back to chinagame.exe

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nexon lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

same but like 2 days into it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah saw that yesterday, it looked pretty good

drat I just want an updated chinagame that doesn't sell you a bunch of power. Just outfits and convenience

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'll give it a try but it gives me a whole lot of B&S vibes rather than AoW. This was probably made around the time that B&S was very popular in china not cash in on that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

looking up on some videos from the chinese version, apparently there are 3 classes not available from the start on the western release. A fast sword class, an archer and...a fox mage that can only played as a little girl.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

thanks for reminding me I had 80 gigabytes of chinagame LITE to download

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GPU driver crash on character creation

Chinagame starting strong

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ah poo poo you doing bard too?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok early thoughts on this so far:

This forgot to censor CaoNiMa as selectable name, just like Wushu which I always find hilarious.

Combat so far reminds me more of GW2 than B&S. No real reactive or conditional attacks so far but still actiony in that your attacks do cleave and hit base on position.

Questing reminds me more of FFXIV than anything, lots cutscenes and your character emoting them. But your character isn't wholly a mute like in FFXIV. The actual quest structure is very typical themepark mmo though at least in the beginning

Also the character creator isnt as insane as some other MMOs but its not bad. I was able to create the perfect ukiyo-e princess

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Is the main questline like post base game FFXIV or base FFXIV, how many times am I going to have to make the trip back to White Sands?

It really doesnt make you travel constantly to the same place and even if it did the movement and transportation options in the game are top notch. Everyone has 50% speed boost by double tapping W and when you mount up on your sword you can surf pretty drat fast.

Biggest issue right now is the translation. Its extremely rough. It looks like they put a lot of the games text into an AI translator and just spit it into the game like that. Causes a lot of misgendering, awkward phrases like using Humans instead of people, some of the skills dont match what other tooltips say and sometimes mobs say things and you get error texts in their bubbles. Very Chinagame

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The dungeon quest is even stranger. It tells you to complete the dungeon in Practice difficulty, but the UI only has Drill, Normal, Hard so you run it in drill and doesn’t complete. So do you run it on normal then? Nope! There is a menu you open that has daily/weekly achievements, the daily achievement is running a dungeon and claiming the rewards clears the quest.

Also there are combos for classes, just not as complex as B&S, basically use one ability and it turns some of your other abilities into different versions.

Another thing is that sometimes its not mistranslations and there are actual story reasons for weird things. Like at the start of the game you say a big ol lady whose title is "Xs Spirit Animal" and you think its a mistranslation or something. No, they are in fact animals that can take human form.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 22, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

More musings

At least for summoner switching to healing spec means you are healing and just healing. 100% honest healer mode. You do have abilities that can boost the damage of your allies but all you can do is push out green numbers yourself. Also going into healing mode disables the action movements reverting you into classic MMO controls.

The combat so far is still pretty simple but I'm noticing the games "tell" system is actually good. Similar to FFXIV, the tells are intuitive. The talent system is similar to modern WoWs, where you have a certain amount of options that alter your playstyle significantly but at the same time they have this constellation system where you get tiny stat increments through them, see no point in it really.

Just at the second town and the game is VERY pretty. Like the lancer job hall was oppressive but it still looked good but the summoner job hall is downright beautiful, one of the best looking zones I've seen in an MMO.

The shop seems to be purely cosmetic, and Ive read that buying a set on one character allows you to use it on all. Thats not a bad deal when compared to something like BDO that has you buy outfits for each character. There are free options that you can get from playing the game but so far a lot of the people look the same because questing gear always looks the same for each person, so if you want to stand out while leveling you are going to have to fork some money. At least till you compile your wardrobe, the wardrobe system in the game is actually very detailed and good. The wardrobe system has a thing where you can preview how they look before you buy them, it consist on a video showing how it looks on the three genders, Man, Woman and Foxgirl.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 22, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xun posted:

Have you figured out how the actually use the wardrobe system? No idea how to get the special currency to switch appearances but I've been loving around with other stuff

I am!

It SEEMS that you can gain them through rotating events. If you go into the cultivation UI and go to production list it'll tell you the rotating events, when they happen and what they reward and the stones used for the wardrobe system show up there.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its mostly instanced pvp, apparently theres also faction pvp and also, according to an option in the UI at least, the ability to turn on JIANGHU MODE

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Theres a new RPG coming out for PC called Wandering Sword thats basically AoW in jRPG form using a graphics engine similar to octopath. Cultivate your chi, open your meridians, raise affinity to recruit NPCs in the world, teach them how to use a stick to beat up dogs. Its going to be fun seeing how impenetrable the game can get.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1876890/Wandering_Sword/

Demo is up if anyone wants to try it out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zodack posted:

But can you gank another guy by spitting booze on him until he throws up?

Not in the demo yet but apparently the skill system is so in depth that I wouldnt be surprised if there are techs like that later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Which one of you is seth