Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Has anyone here tried Swordsman Online? I just got the beta key but haven't installed it yet. It looks superficially similar but is the combat style similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Give it at try and report back on your findings. Maybe we could goonrush another :chinagame: if its worth it. Plus its being managed by perfect world, which although thats horrible in its own sense, it still better than Snail.

e-Actually the beta hasnt even started yet so unless someone's played the CN version, they wont be able to tell you.

Yeah I thought we had some people playing the Chinese Age of Wushu who might have tried the Chinese Swordsman.

I'll get it all installed, try it out on Monday, and report back.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What control scheme are you guys using? I went with the Swordsman one because it seemed AoW-like, but if the others are more helpful later on I'll get used to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Swordsman is kind of fun but so far it's been mostly clicking the current thing in the quest log. Then I either talk to a guy or start hitting something. Sometimes, I pick up a thing.

I got to the second Shaolin skill set last night after a couple hours of playing, which seems really fast. So far it feels shallower than Wushu and faster-paced. The translation is infinitely better, and I did enjoy drunkenly beating the poo poo out of a pet monkey thinking it was Sun Wukong, but so far there's been almost nothing I couldn't complete by basically clicking "next" over and over in the quest guide.

I'm liking the second Shaolin set, it's fun to roll up a bunch of NPCs into a ball with a tornado, then beat the poo poo out of them with my stick.

How's PvP?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can I get a Swordsman guild invite for Running-Dog?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Do you want thieves? Because that's how you get thieves.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nauty animal

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Almond Crunch posted:

So uh, if you're looking for a guild name that will make chinese people rage irrationally, might i suggest '钓鱼岛才是日本的'

This is beautiful

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think 鬼佬 should make an appearance somewhere :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, given all the processes it spawns I've pretty much resigned to reformatting after I finish with this game.

VMs have pretty good 3d support these days, right? That's the only way I'd play it, no way they're getting access to my real computer.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Have you hear, is this getting an English release at any point?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I can't wait to constantly fall down until I've trained my standing-up meridians (or paid $2.99)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

it is like one guy in the thread

The one guy who also apparently takes every MMO press release at breathless face value.

Still cautiously interested in AOW2, whenever it comes out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

what is dead may never die

and with strange aeons even viets may fly

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Double-posting because I watched 36th Chamber of Shaolin on Sunday and now I really miss AoW, even though Shaolin sucked I really liked the temple.

Amitabha!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

angerbeet posted:

Impress them with your knowledge of the hand foot meridian

Remind them to follow the laws of the flying eagle stronghold, too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Saradiart posted:

Honestly, I was talking with kzn -- we should look on wushu not as a terrible game ruined by an incompetent company.

No, instead we performed a valuable civic duty by returning Vietnamese blood money back to China. :911:

If there's a successor Chinagame, I'll probably go with an even more obviously Vietnamese "Pham Nguyen" as my username because it makes Chinese players mad

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So at this point is AoW 2 ever happening in the US or is the golden age of chinagame never to return?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

angerbeet posted:

Please follow the lady to the guest room

I'm not falling for that one again, I've only got the one kidney left!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I hardly even took part in goon shenanigans but it was just a really chill game to run around in and sightsee.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I played shaolin even though everyone said it sucked because as a goon I identify with bald virgins

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SweetBro posted:

when it suddenly spikes to 1.4kms you might as well throw in the towel.

I hate it when my lag spikes so bad you can measure it in kilometers

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My hesitation with Chinagames is always wondering if it's gonna install a keylogger or hijack my computer to mine bitcoins or something.

Can you run games like this in a VM these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE LAWS OF THE FLYING EAGLE STRONGHOLD AND