Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So, I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but over in Chinaland, they're planning on a 'mega-expansion' in August.

quote:

Last week, Age of Wushu held its annual PvP tournament in China, the home base of developer Snail Game. The development team spoke to several local media outlets after announcing a mega-expansion reaching the China server on 8th August later this year. Here are some of the details below.

- The new areas/ maps are 8 times the size of the current map size in Age of Wushu (China server).

- There will be no main quests, and players are free to pick and choose quests from the new regions.

- There will be new individual quests for each player, each with different options and multiple endings. Players’ decisions will be important on which NPCs they will meet and how the quests will progress.

- 6 new Emerging Forces (or clans) have been confirmed, although they will not be added at the same time due to the massive file size. The game will be expanding beyond the Central Plains, and will see forces from Tibet, Mongolia, and the Orient. For the overseas servers, there are even plans to add in Western or Southeast Asia forces.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm simultaneously excited about and dreading their views on Taiwan and Tibet.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

A mini-FAQ for noobs:

Cash Rules Everything Around Me: Get That Money, Dolla Dolla Bill Y'all

So, at the bottom of your inventory is this counter:

Those count how much currency you have. They are, from top to bottom, Bound Liang, Unbound Liang, and Silver Notes. Bound Liang are useless Monopoly money which you use for buying poo poo from NPCs, Practice Martial Arts, and pretty much nothing else. There is a limit to how much you can spend per day, but aside from that it's essentially limitless. Unbound Liang (also known as 'tael') is real money, which can be spent on poo poo you actually care about and can be traded to other players. You can also spend it on the same stuff you can spend Bound Liang on if you turn on that radio button next to it. Don't do that. The last currency is Silver Notes. I don't know much about them because you can only get them by spending Gold (i.e. dollars) on.

So, how do you get it? The answer is: Stalls. You see that little banner button? If you go to one of the big cities or a noob village and hit it, you'll pop up a window like this:

This is the stall interface. When you hit the 'online stall' button, your dude will set up a flea-market table and act as a NPC salesman for an hour, selling your useless poo poo for sweet, sweet unbound liangs. Drag and drop your poo poo onto there, set the prices, and watch your bank account explode! Or don't, because people have very particular tastes in what they actually buy. You can also set yourself up to automatically buy specific objects by hitting the 'purchase item' tab there, dragging over an example of the item you want, and setting a price.

But what price do you want to charge? Hit the 'V' key, and you'll pop open the Trade Center interface.

This is invaluable for searching for specific items to price them, or for shopping for objects by type. It's worth noting that Trade Center only tells you about stalls and 'world stalls' that are in the same zone as you are, so everybody does all their trading in Chengdu on Blue Dragon.

'World Stalls' are a slightly different version of stalls that you can get once you start making the big bucks. You've almost certainly seen them- they're those stalls with NPCs behind them that sell player goods all the time, rather than just for one hour. Problem is, you need to bid for stalls, and the minimum bid is 100 unbound liang. If you have a lot of really good poo poo to sell, world stalls are great, but if you're just selling steamed buns, you're not going to make much money.

So, what sells?
  • Scripts. People love scripts. Any first page of a skill will sell like hotcakes.
  • Instance-only materials. Any material that can only be found in an instance will sell well.
  • Similarly, any instance-only collectable item will sell well too.
  • Silver-or-higher rated equipment
  • Steamed Buns. Seriously.
  • Processed materials. Stuff like Guazhou Green sells pretty well.
  • Materials from disassembled items.

What doesn't sell well?

• Common materials. Nobody cares about Iron Ingots. The exception here is Malachite, which is rare enough that people actually buy it.
  • Most food items. If it's not Steamed Buns or absolute top-end food items, you can barely sell it for 1 wen.
  • Life Skill books. Not very popular.
  • Imitation paintings or caligraphy.

So: Go run instances, get instance-only crap, stall it and sell it in Chengdu.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

If you go on the disguise quest, you can get cool face-paint?

Okay, so how much does this poo poo cost, anyway?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Kylra posted:

About 5.5D, plus 120L for each face painting you do.

E: Or you could grind forever and pay about 1.8D.

Sadly, 1.8D is approximately 20 times more money than I have ever held at one time, so I think I'll just have to live with not having cool face-paint. :smith:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

funakupo posted:

being a chef is a curse

Yes. There should be, like, a Chef-only martial art or something, to balance out how horrible Chef is as a choice.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Orv posted:

Is it now piss easy to level internals and such if I were to come back to this, or am I misremembering some post.

Basically, free Chi pills rain from the sky to the point that I regard free chi pills that don't stack nicely as a nuisance, no matter how big they are.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Demon Soul-Chasing Blade is relatively cheap right now. What is it? Is it Yang-Hard External?

EDIT: The trick to Excursions: The VIP box from doing a faction 6 times is guarenteed to have a Excursion token. I don't know if this is all factions or just Renowned or higher ones, but the important thing is that while there is a chance of a token in the treasure boxes from getting A ranking, it's very low.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 18, 2014

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

Yin set, External damage.

So it's crap.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

madmario posted:

A ready example--cell phones are much more affordable than say 20 or 30 years ago. That is deflation--prices going down.

Noooo? The price of cell phones has plummeted from 20/30 years ago, but the price of goods in general has only increased. Inflation and deflation aren't about prices per se, but about the value of a currency with respect to the value of goods. Deflation means cash gains value over time, while inflation means cash loses value over time. And deflation has a lot of undesirable aspects, as we're seeing here- why buy something today when you could buy it tomorrow for less money?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

angerbot posted:

Meanwhile, at Shen Golden Needle Sect

"Look, to clear up your constipation, you need to drink more water, stop straining when you have a bowl movement, have your bowl movement when you feel you should have it."

Every day, forever.

So it's the most realistic medical simulator ever, is what you're saying.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

madmario posted:

Yesss? The value of a cell phone has not gone down, has it? They're even more valuable now, and more affordable than ever, and absolutely ubiquitous. Of course we live in an inflationary economy generally--I do not think of that as a good thing. My point is that in an actual free market, prices going down is generally a good sign as to the wealth of society. Cell phones are just a handy illustrative example.

They are an extremely poor cherry-picked example. The price of electronics has gone down, but most people don't need electronics to live and electronics isn't a huge part of their budget. On the other hand, the price of food, fuel, housing, education, vehicles, and healthcare has gone up dramatically over the last 50 years, and that poo poo is someone's budget.

madmario posted:

Because opportunity cost is real, and because you need to eat tomorrow and to drive your car to work today.

Yes, hence the 'if you can buy it tomorrow' clause. But as noted above, you don't need every good right now. So markets like housing, factories, etc. slow down and eventually people just stop making those goods, so you can't get them when you need them. Then the economy implodes.

quote:

We do not have a free market in wushu. We have central planning. And central planning is dumb and infuriating. This is a Soviet economy.

Literally every MMO is a planned economy. It can't not be a planned economy, by definition!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

FebrezeNinja posted:

Just a quick note since I hadn't seen it mentioned: excursion doesn't lock your fourth set, despite the wording of the npc and the website. Just lowers it to 4 like the others.

To 4, or by 4?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

FebrezeNinja posted:

All school internals above 30 down to that; all school skills above 4 down to that.

Well, awesome. Wish I hadn't been neglecting Beggar's 4th then, but I can work with this.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

Ugh. Hat and outfit? I would have worn the crap out of it for a reasonably priced hat, but 150 gold for everything is just too much.

I'd buy it for maybe $1. Maybe.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I'd like a bunny, but the most I'd pay for a bunny is like 2 bucks.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Are there any factions that are not incompetent assholes?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I suggest we welcome them in the language of the Goon Tang Clan, which is to say murderous beatings.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Phrasing posted:

I enjoyed my time in Age of Wushu because of the forced pvp, the way you became an npc when you logged off (really made the world seem alive, even if half of them were bots) and flight skills.

Yeah, I miss awesome flying skills. I would occasionally climb to the top of some huge building for no reason.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Natalie_Luna posted:

Edit: Also the fighting style of these Umbrella wielding POMF/Emei lookalikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUeKSPHfidI

Lady Snowblood-style Iajutsu!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I'mma get on the Archeage train and yohoho on the high seas. But I will miss the Age of Wushu.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Is it coming to these uncivilized English-speaking lands?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Denarius posted:

My first experience with this lovely game was trying to figure out what the hell "Follow the laws of the Flying Eagle Stronghold" meant, and it was amazing.

I was a fairly late-joiner and I still had that exact experience.

Best. Game. Ever. :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

In Wulin, do we have a favored server or guild or whatnot? I'm thinking about joining in the antics, even if I'm eating horrible lag while I do it.