Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I love the Killzone series and am glad some one is doing a massive LP of them. Its a pity neither of you have mercenary or shadow fall, because both are pretty good. I think the series falters a bit with 3 for reasons i will expound on when we get there.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The idea that the Helghast control some sort of trade chokepoint in space is kind of funny.

Honestly, we dont know how large the killzone universe is. Like, we know about earth, vekta and helghan . I assume there are ton more worlds that have been colonized or that have their own independent planet states. So maybe most planets view helghan as a space North Korea or space Iran, hell even space Gaza strip.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

So, in the background materials, there is no FTL?
I've always paid attention to stuff like that and I'm fairly sure they do in story. Killzone 3 has numerous references to a warp drive and FTL communication and in Killzone 1, the earth fleet appears to be jumping in between the space station the player is on and the planet.

I don't think the designers didn't care. I think it's more that unlike in Shakespeare's time, people today are so used to only having a few days to solve crises that even stretching events over a week noticeably lowers the dramatic tension. So the designers were inadvertently forced to write the plot in time frames where only FTL travel would work, possibly without realizing they'd done so.

i assume they didn't have FTL during the first exosolar war. it was probably developed later on.

also, stupid question , but, how different are the helghast from regular humans. I assume other then the messed up lungs and the complexion they arnt that different.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

From what I understand, not at all. The Helghast are literally just humans with bald heads, pale complexion and lungs not quite adapted to Helghan's air. I'm not sure if the soldiers NEED their air masks for living on Helghan or what because story important characters don't seem to need it? (ie. Visari, a couple characters from Killzone Mercenary)

Pictured: ISA Ambassador Sepp Harkin and his wife (a Helghan woman named Valeria Harkin. Oddly enough, she's described by other Helghast as a "whore" either because she actually was one or because she married a Vektan.)

So yeah, no real practical difference between Helghans and Vektans/any other humans. They're just pale and bald.

she is called a whore because she married him. drat, i am still surprised how good killzone mercenaries is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

honestly, Luger was probably my favorite character to use because her gun was decently powerful and accurate. also she good for trying to stealth parts of levels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Carlioo posted:

Well yeah, obviously a lot of Ps4 owners should be owning Shadow Fall, they haven't really had much else to play.

(also if I would've bought a Ps4 at launch before the Knack demo turned me away, then I totally would've bought Shadow Fall as well, it looked pretty neat and a nice break away from the usual gray areas we get in shooters from what I've seen)

shadow fall is alright, but its suffers from alot of stupid plot stuff,and some really dumb mission design. i'll spoil stuff if people want once the LP beats killzone 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

klen dool posted:

I've never played any killzone apart from mercenary, due to being a PC gamer exclusively (its a money thing, not an elitist thing) - but I did buy a vita, and I thought mercenary was awesome - even the story. I guess its a departure from the rest of the series, as I understand that the main characters you play as are hither-too unseen in the series and lack allegiance.

yeah, Mercenaries is really good, though i kinda of wish it had been a little longer.

• Locked thread