Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peter Parkour
Apr 29, 2014
So I'm reading that there was a law passed in the US (JOBS Act) which had sections regulating crowdfunding, but I'm also reading that it's not in effect yet, so we're in a sort of limbo.

Is everyone actually required to make disclosures to the SEC for Kickstarter campaigns prior to launching?

Do we need to make reports to the SEC after?

Do I need to hire a securities lawyer to handle this sort of stuff?

I thought Kickstarter would be simple but now all this stuff seems complicated and the status of the rules seem to be in the air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
IIRC those rules would be for crowd-based investing (crowdvesting?), wherein people who fund a company would actually be part owners. Kickstarter isn't like that, it's basically a hybrid donation/pre-ordering scheme.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

As Cicero said, the rules that were changed to allow "crowdfunding" aren't about crowdfunding in the sense that you're used to. What changed was they opened the way for people who aren't what's called "accredited investors" (i.e. normal working poors like you and me) to put small amounts of money into a company in exchange for small chunks of equity. It's a way of selling stock without going public.

Unless you're offering equity as a kickstarter reward tier, it has absolutely zero affect on crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo. What you're doing there isn't really "crowdfunding," as the law sees it, but rather accepting non-tax deductible donations in exchange for knicknacks, like a shady telethon.

Peter Parkour
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks guys! I used some keywords from your responses and found a couple articles dispelling that myth as well. Thanks again!

http://www.nwcorporatelaw.com/kickstarter-legal-guide/

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/231085

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So I can sell equity in my live forever company to old people as long as I don't raise more then a million bucks per year now. Sweet all I need is an audit and some phone representatives to let people know about the opportunity. Crowdfleecing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, if you had a boiler room organization you could probably raise a ton of money from old people who don't know any better for a startup that goes nowhere. I'm expecting a lot of Wolf of Wall Street type stuff to happen once the law goes into effect.

• Locked thread