Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Red Dead Redemption, a game made over the course of about five years by Rockstar San Diego, is the finest cattle herding simulator to date. You control a modest rustler, a cowboy by the name of John Marston, and use him as an avatar to help him, and subsequently yourself, herd the mighty animals across the plains of New Austin. Taking place towards the end of the frontier era in 1911, the game uses its setting and gameplay as a means to having a discussion about many complex topics relating to farm and industry in America, and helps us understand what it’s like to care for so many heffers.

It also has guns. At least, that’s what it says on the box.

I’ve played Red Dead through to 100% completion about 3 times, as I’ve done it once a year since I got it with my PS3 the year after it came out. I’ve found it to be one of the most hilarious, enjoyable and challenging games I’ve had the pleasure of discovering. I enjoy it so much that I’ve purchased it on a different system, the XBOX 360, and plan to do it all over again! My friend Alex will be joining me for an adventure chock-full of cows, chickens, bounty hunting, rabbits, horses and political genocide. Yes we will be doing Undead Nightmare.

We’ll be talking through most of the cutscenes, because if we didn’t there would be a lot of just watching them go on their own. Of course, don’t let me rob you of the pleasure of watching them without our inane jokes, most of which you can find talk-free either at Belgaer’s fantastic LP done about a year ago or at this (incomplete) mesh of cutscenes called Red Dead Redemption: The Movie. Additionally, over on GameFAQs a person named Shotgunnova went to the trouble of typing up the whole script, which I've used numerous times for looking up quotes and recalling certain scenes.

As a few precautions for the sake of the thread, I have a couple of guidelines:

Don’t Spoil The Ending.
Don’t Spoil The Second Ending.
Don’t Talk Insensitively About Cultures and Communities Represented in this Videogame.

That’s it! Tantalizing, I know.

As one last thing, if anyone has awesome stories or fanart for this incredible videogame, I will put it somewhere in the posts below. I do plan on writing up some articles at some point explaining some of the more critical things I think about the characters and settings in the game. Thanks!

Let’s get to the videos.

1 - Poor John Polsy YouTube

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Post Reserved???

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This game will probably always be one of my favorites. I think what I really love is how the game actually takes advantage of its unusual setting (you don't see many 20th century Westerns), with the advancing technology and themes of the dying frontier.

Also, some people didn't really pick up on it when they played, but this game actually follows a progression in style based on the progression of western films. I won't spoil the exact progression of the plot (though the video did mention going to Mexico and Blackwater), but it shows the three major different settings and styles of the genre as they went through history: the quintessential "old west" out in the American desert with shootouts and saloons, the 60s and 70s westerns (especially Spaghetti westerns) set in Mexico, and finally the "New Western" with a more introspective and morally gray themes and a new setting out on the plains and in a modern city.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

This game will probably always be one of my favorites. I think what I really love is how the game actually takes advantage of its unusual setting (you don't see many 20th century Westerns), with the advancing technology and themes of the dying frontier.

Also, some people didn't really pick up on it when they played, but this game actually follows a progression in style based on the progression of western films. I won't spoil the exact progression of the plot (though the video did mention going to Mexico and Blackwater), but it shows the three major different settings and styles of the genre as they went through history: the quintessential "old west" out in the American desert with shootouts and saloons, the 60s and 70s westerns (especially Spaghetti westerns) set in Mexico, and finally the "New Western" with a more introspective and morally gray themes and a new setting out on the plains and in a modern city.

I completely agree! One of the things I mention in the first video is the idea of dissonance, about how I missed most of John's early characterization because I didn't realize how deep the game was going to get. Even with the way they characterize their protagonist, this game works in phases, and the first one is pretty rough-and-rowdy. It's also my least favorite, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm wondering: Do you plan on playing Undead Nightmare? That was really the only problem I had with Belgaer's LP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Varros posted:

I completely agree! One of the things I mention in the first video is the idea of dissonance, about how I missed most of John's early characterization because I didn't realize how deep the game was going to get. Even with the way they characterize their protagonist, this game works in phases, and the first one is pretty rough-and-rowdy. It's also my least favorite, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

I think Red Dead Redemption is a good game to play at least twice. Once you've seen the whole thing, you can go back and spot all of the nuances and background characters the first time around.

It helps that it's just a plain good game, so you won't be bored or annoyed out of your skull making a second playthrough.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

chitoryu12 posted:

I won't spoil the exact progression of the plot (though the video did mention going to Mexico and Blackwater), but it shows the three major different settings and styles of the genre as they went through history: the quintessential "old west" out in the American desert with shootouts and saloons, the 60s and 70s westerns (especially Spaghetti westerns) set in Mexico, and finally the "New Western" with a more introspective and morally gray themes and a new setting out on the plains and in a modern city.
If you listen to the theme song on the OST, you can notice the main melody being played in slightly different styles, with different instruments each time. First there's the more generic western style, then the horn arrangement reminiscent of spaghetti westerns, and finally the somewhat more modern style with the electric guitar. (And then, on the last repetition, they all play simultaneously for maximum :circlefap:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpXXfCzSmJQ

This game is so goddamn good, nice to see another LP of it.

Alex Earl Cash
Feb 21, 2011
Will you keep on murdering innocent bystanders throughout the lp? For me, Marston isn't the type to just go to town shootn up the place like a lunatic, so watching him do so is too jarring for me.
Other than that, good luck with your lp.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

I'm wondering: Do you plan on playing Undead Nightmare? That was really the only problem I had with Belgaer's LP.

Yup. I stupidly asked Alex that in the first video but yes, we will play Undead Nightmare and I might even do bonus videos where I show stupid costume, gambling and tomahawk sidequests.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Red Dead Redemption is a good game to play at least twice. Once you've seen the whole thing, you can go back and spot all of the nuances and background characters the first time around.

It helps that it's just a plain good game, so you won't be bored or annoyed out of your skull making a second playthrough.

It's a game that I found particularly satisfying to play through again once I had forgotten some of the plot points. I found that with a general outline of the important stuff and knowledge of the commitment the game would take to play again, Mexico went from my least favorite segment of the game to absolute favorite, and the last 15% of the game really fell in importance/excitement for some reason.

OH NO MAN posted:

If you listen to the theme song on the OST, you can notice the main melody being played in slightly different styles, with different instruments each time. First there's the more generic western style, then the horn arrangement reminiscent of spaghetti westerns, and finally the somewhat more modern style with the electric guitar. (And then, on the last repetition, they all play simultaneously for maximum :circlefap:)

I don't remember if I mentioned this in the video, but this is one of my absolute favorite things about this game. The soundtrack is incredible, and I plan on using it to capacity during certain segments in the future. It's kind of crazy how much the game characterizes itself without you having to roleplay or force the immersion in your mind. It made GTA V really just look like a game without polish or internal consistency, as you just go through nonsense cynicism while talk radio or some random genre starts playing in whatever car you're in. Playing a couple of games that take themselves seriously from a developer makes the over-the-top comedy stuff seem hokey in comparison.

Alex Earl Cash posted:

Will you keep on murdering innocent bystanders throughout the lp? For me, Marston isn't the type to just go to town shootn up the place like a lunatic, so watching him do so is too jarring for me.
Other than that, good luck with your lp.

:smuggo: Well, I'm probably not just going to shoot up people for bounties and kill officers anymore, but in an attempt to do more than just cutscene after cutscene and mission after mission, I've started to edit together a segment for each video called Testing the Limits where I run around and explore an area, trying to exploit certain things like animal AI, random encounters and how far John can fall without dying. I should be clearly signposting that stuff if you want to skip through it, but I apologize in advance if I do some dumb things to try and spice up certain parts of the game. I do plan on going glitch-hunting at some point, so hopefully that doesn't break our collective immersion.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I figure if we're at risk of breaking immersion when we encounter a cougar lady or some bird people, we just say Marston got into the good cactus.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
will you be doing Undead Nightmare?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

venom3053000 posted:

will you be doing Undead Nightmare?

Yup! Added this to the OP to make it clear.

Second update should be this weekend. I want to get it in before finals week starts, but after that we will be updating with reckless abandon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I loved everything in LA Noire that had to do with being a detective. Everything else was... exceptionally half-assed.

So far, Red Dead seems to have love and care poured into every square inch of the world, and it's always great to see something like that.

Alex Earl Cash
Feb 21, 2011

Varros posted:

Well, I'm probably not just going to shoot up people for bounties and kill officers anymore, but in an attempt to do more than just cutscene after cutscene and mission after mission, I've started to edit together a segment for each video called Testing the Limits where I run around and explore an area, trying to exploit certain things like animal AI, random encounters and how far John can fall without dying. I should be clearly signposting that stuff if you want to skip through it, but I apologize in advance if I do some dumb things to try and spice up certain parts of the game. I do plan on going glitch-hunting at some point, so hopefully that doesn't break our collective immersion.

Sounds good and I appreciate the effort to make everybody jolly. Lookin forward to undead nightmare, as i could never get into it, on account of them zombies being too stubborn and all. Made me feel like i was playin it all wrong.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Love the hell out of this game. So incredibly cinematic that it even got the wife to sit and watch it as I played.

I do agree on the train denizens being a little pointless. It would've helped if they had a gruff rancher from around Armadillo to get a more relevant set of issues and feelings. Once you get off the train it's friggin' amazing. You know a game has done a solid job when you start wondering if you'll run into a one off character like Jake again.

Do you have any particular DLC like costumes or special horses, and if so will you show them off?

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Hell yes, this game! Thanks OP!

RDR is in my top 5. Such an amazing atmosphere throughout the whole landscape. The sound design is superb and the ambiance of the environments mixed with all the creepy animal noises (particularly at night) is absolutely marvelous. The music adds to the whole experience without being over the top. It's really emotional and actually I was reminded of RDR when playing The Last Of Us, which has a similar kind of minimalist thing about its soundtrack.

Gotta admit it's not without its flaws though. I hope we get to see some crazy glitches. I remember at one point I rode past an NPC galloping on a horse near Armadillo who wasn't going anywhere because the horse was stuck half underground with just its head poking out. Watching Belgaers LP reminded me of how buggy it is.

My fave memory of this game though is spending hours on poker in Blackwater. Best chillout ever.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 3, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

give me thread posted:

Gotta admit it's not without its flaws though. I hope we get to see some crazy glitches. I remember at one point I rode past an NPC galloping on a horse near Armadillo who wasn't going anywhere because the horse was stuck half underground with just its head poking out. Watching Belgaers LP reminded me of how buggy it is.

As I rode towards Armadillo one time, I watched a horse-drawn carriage launch into the air and flip wildly along main street at about roof level.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I loved everything in LA Noire that had to do with being a detective. Everything else was... exceptionally half-assed.

So far, Red Dead seems to have love and care poured into every square inch of the world, and it's always great to see something like that.

When people told me that they played it with the partner driving everywhere I thought they were crazy. Then I played the game through a second time and realized just how goddamn boring it is when you're trying to play it straight like I initially did. Sometimes roleplaying in games like that just isn't worth it :(

Dakona posted:

Do you have any particular DLC like costumes or special horses, and if so will you show them off?

We'll be doing Undead Nightmare, which is like 60% bonus content like that so I'll be showing it off, and I might do some extra vids towards the end of the main game if I want to spend some hours running errands and gambling to get costumes. Actually, that doesn't sound too bad.

Dareon posted:

As I rode towards Armadillo one time, I watched a horse-drawn carriage launch into the air and flip wildly along main street at about roof level.

One time, I found it hilarious to have John jump off the huge cliff between the Ranch and Armadillo over and over again, until I apparently hit a jag which sent John ragdolling so far I flew right into the middle of Lake Don Julio and drowned. (I think there were a few "DON'T LET ANYTHING PAST THIS INVISIBLE BARRIER" collision objects which send you flying in whatever direction)

I know I promised a video this weekend but depending on recording situations (lot of noise around here on Sundays) it should be up in the first half of the week.

Alex Earl Cash
Feb 21, 2011

Varros posted:

When people told me that they played it with the partner driving everywhere I thought they were crazy. Then I played the game through a second time and realized just how goddamn boring it is when you're trying to play it straight like I initially did. Sometimes roleplaying in games like that just isn't worth it :(

Taking it really slow and trying to take in as much as possible, is what usually works for me in these situations.
Mexico can feel like a drag too, so i helps to get into the right mindset beforehand.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Varros posted:

I ended up skipping driving most of the time, opting to just get there so I could continue the investigation. I did enjoy the driving when there was a pursuit of some kind, but other than that there's absolutely no reason to drive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

I ended up skipping driving most of the time, opting to just get there so I could continue the investigation. I did enjoy the driving when there was a pursuit of some kind, but other than that there's absolutely no reason to drive.

On a first playthrough at least, I prefer to do the driving just because the game skips certain content if you let your partner drive. Obviously you miss any dialogue, but I think it's actually possible for radio messages about evidence or suspects to be removed entirely if you're not driving to hear them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I recall that they would actually play the driving dialogue as your partner pulls out and starts driving, and then it teleports you when they finish. Admittedly I only did it a few times, because I actually really enjoyed driving about, especially in some of the hidden civilian cars.

Welcome to the Let's Play of Red Dead Redemption, where we discuss our favorite cars of the 40s.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of games what happened to this one?

Kneefoil
May 10, 2014

Varros posted:

Yes we will be doing Undead Nightmare.
Glad to hear it. I never got around to playing it myself, so it'd certainly be nice so see what it's like.

I agree with you guys that the game really deserved a PC port, and I'm still mad about it not getting one just because I started feeling like I should play through this game again earlier this year, but I still haven't been able to. I initially played through RDR on my brother's 360, and we haven't lived together for a couple of years now, so I now have no easy way to play the game anymore, which wouldn't be the case had the game also been on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Guys what the hell happened? The concept behind this LP was fantastic! Not to mention it is an awesome game that has a place in video game history :3

• Locked thread