Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I recently had the "pleasure" of driving through the Central Valley from Chico to Hemet and back. With the primaries coming up, I got to see a lot of political advertising and sloganeering and noticed a few similarities and differences between the North and South ends of the state. Rural politicians in Northern and Southern California all seem to like putting loving cowboy hats on their signs, as if to say to voters "I'm a white-bread redneck just like you who shares your (racist) values." In Southern California, water was definitely a much bigger issue than in the north. I saw several advertisements stating "Solve The Water Crisis!" implying that there was a political solution to getting more water for crops growing in the desert during an extreme drought. One sign did offer a solution: Tell Los Angeles and San Diego to cut their consumption! Clearly, that's going to make a big difference despite the fact that 85% of California's water already goes to agriculture. I'm flying next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I'm increasingly presuming that individuals with State of Jefferson stickers on their cars are armed white racists judging by their vehicles and driving habits.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a05f_story.html

So we just had a shitload of rain in the north. Between 3/3 and 3/6 Lake Oroville rose 20 feet. Lake Shasta and Lake Oroville are now above their average historical capacity, which of course means we should totally ditch these water saving bills because there's no way things can turn bad now that we've had two good storms in a row.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Zachack posted:

Possibly nimby but if a city assumes that mega agrocon is going to develop some massive pot farms then driving up local costs basically means getting grow operations out of town.

I'm sure pot growers are lining up to take advantage of all that cheap real estate in Mountain View and Palo Alto to set up their grows.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

The reality is likely closer to helicopter parents terrified their child will look out the window of their $1.8 million 1200 square foot house in the 10 minutes of free time they have between lacrosse practice and cello lessons and be tempted by a plant in a neighbors yard and end up smoking weed instead of focusing every ounce of their being into getting into UC Berkeley and wind up a pathetic loving loser going to a community college for a liberal arts degree.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Funny thing is under prop 64, while cities can ban store-front dispensaries (and I expect many of them to do so) there's nothing they can do to ban deliveries, which is already a well established 215 industry.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Ideally universal healthcare would be federal-level "Medicare for All" expansion and replacing the Medicare Tax with premiums for recipients (waived or subsidized for children, elderly, disabled and poor) and eliminating Medicaid. People can purchase Medicare benefits, use their employer insurance, or purchase private insurance. Firstly, because Medicare is a thing that already exists and more or less works, and can be expanded with modifications. Secondly, because of the demographics of Medicare recipients (old, white, conservative) Medicare benefits are both sacrosanct and familiar to high-probability voters, as opposed to Medicaid which is seen as a fiscal sinkhole giving unwarranted benefits to illegals. Thirdly, because it hits sweet spots with fiscal conservatives by eliminating a major tax and programs they hate.

The benefits of single-payer healthcare are primarily in using mass buying power to negotiate lower costs on medications and services and reducing administrative costs for healthcare providers (the current system is a loving jungle).

California alone obviously can't change federal programs like Medicare, so would most likely have to expand MediCal for single-payer. California's size alone gives it purchasing power comparable to nations like Sweden, Spain and France which effectively use their purchasing power to negotiate far better prices than America. MediCal for Everyone wouldn't remove the jungle though, so the administrative inefficiencies would remain.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

mother. loving. satsumas.

ive got a serious problem and am fiending hard, sadly there are no citrus laden pickups on the roadside at 8 pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I'm sure taking the few hundred DEA field agents off their focus on illegal opioids and having them go around closing dispensaries instead is going to do wonders for public health and safety.