Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

What? Are you seriously saying that the reason STEM workers in the US will never unionize is because of asian immigrants?

I think it has a lot more to do with "white collar" workers viewing themselves as seperate from, and more elite than, "blue collar" workers. Unions are for unskilled tradesmen, while STEM workers are part of the well-educated thinking-person crew who are smart enough to get paid well and not need unions.

(I disagree with that view, if it isn't obvious, but I think it's a view that has been very deliberately and intentionally cultivated by the right for decades.)

A lot of college-bound young people are either bleeding heart, or stone-cold, but all agree unions are 'not needed', and the simple go to is that unions are a business started in your business to take from your business to sustain theirs.

poo poo sells, is tough to dispel, and even if you do, so what? Unions are dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

'The Students'.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what tenure is. Tenure does not mean a teacher can't be fired, rather tenure is the "strong due process" that you're referring to. All it means is that if the administration wants to fire a teacher, they have to go through a neutral arbitrator to do so.

Excuse me but haven't you watched Waiting For Superman like every good American who cares about the future of our children to pay a conglomerate every step of the way through a lifetime of education?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The rampaging rampant arrogance of BLACK LEGISLATORS.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I enjoy that a counter protest to those yokels grew pretty rapidly.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

spiralbrain posted:

So heres some of the falsehoods I have heard so far come from Republicans/Teabagger friends/family/assholes (my experience being one of the cities where they were going to house them):

1. "They will be released in the community" - Bullshit. The plans for where they would be housed insures that the locations would be secure, where they would have a place to sleep, eat and get medical care while being processed for deportation.
2. "They didnt ask us if they wanted them here" - No they didnt. They also didnt ask you if you wanted a border patrol checkpoint 20 miles north of you either, or whether the border patrol can round up the sub human garbage (as one lovely teabagger referred to them) either.
3. "What if the kids are criminals" - :ughh:
4. "We dont have money to house them here" - Immigration reform is cheap compared to the alternative but we wouldnt want progress.

News locally reported that the undocumented persons were likely dropped off in communities because there was no where else to go fearing the people's safety.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People think of Google very disturbingly on TechCrunch it is unreadable trash.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Family Values posted:

Draper is a grade A poo poo head, no argument there. But can we please stop painting everyone who lives/works in SV as a lolbertarian VC investor? That's no more true than everyone in Houston is an oil baron, or everyone in Detroit is an auto exec. Yes most of the billionaires and CEOs here suck, just as they do everywhere else.

Most of SV, including most of the rank and file at the tech companies, are what D&D derisively refer to as 'center left'. Even the engineers. Check opensecrets.org and look up donations by employer. Actual data instead of lovely stereotyping; imagine that.

Silicon Valley is full of loving awful rich people, sorry people not from Silicon Valley might paint a good portion of the lovely rich people who live there as being lovely.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VendoViper posted:

Care to propose a reasonable title for someone who writes software for a living?

Computer janitor.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Family Values posted:

This thread just keeps getting better and better.

Why? It's true?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Family Values posted:

It's a tedious debate that's been hashed out numerous times before. No one cares. And it's off topic. I'd rather have food chat, at least it would be about California.

You don't care buckaroo everybody not an insufferable software developer does.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yes literally everyone gives a poo poo about this extremely important controversy about the official titles of programmers containing or not containing the word "engineer." Truly this is one of the most divisive topics of debate that face our country today.

Words matter and it will be brought up whenever a software developer brings it up. Nobody cares you don't want to talk about it Googler.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Your rents are too high, something should correct this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/LibyanIntegrity/status/1719021804021293310

Hopefully this guy loses his trial for assault next.