Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Shbobdb posted:

Is there anyone who isn't a Green? I'd rather vote PSL than Green (and did, in the last Presidential election).

I didn't see much when I got my vote-by-mail ballot, no. At least, nothing on the left, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Here's some info on two very important bills

SB 350, Clean Energy and Pollution Act of 2015, would require 50% of all electricity to be generated by renewable energy by 2030. It just passed Appropriations and is going to the Assembly for a full vote. This vote will happen sometime before September 11th, as that is when the legislative period ends. So call your assemblymember!

I'm seeing advertisements warning of an imminent driving-related apocalypse involving rationing and gas taxes. Is this what those are about? They're sponsored by the Western Petroleum Institute or something like that, so I've been working under the assumption that I should support whatever it is they're decrying.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

LOL oil is super cheap right now. Moving to renewables has to do with electricity generation, why would they try to argue driving will get more expensive?

IDK they might have been talking about something else. I'm sure I'll see another one of the ads soon.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I got a new car two months ago and so far I've been matching the combined city/highway rating or even exceeding it slightly, but I came up 1 MPG short on pure highway driving. My car before that, I fell square in the middle (city 20 mpg, highway 26 mpg; I averaged about 22-23 most of the time.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Definite yes:
Marijuana initiative
Definite yes vote out of pure spite:
Large magazine initiative, if it makes the ballot
Definite no vote:
Referendum for $2b+ projects
gently caress if I know, at this point:
Pretty much everything else

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Zachack posted:

Sacramento has a now-decent downtown (a decade ago it was poo poo) but that's about it.

Also a cool railroad museum. (IIRC I guess it's been ages since I went there.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I posted this before: the exact same thing has happened in central Turkey back in the 90s, causing tremendous economic damage and resulting in the need to rebuild not just infrastructure, but also large parts of many towns in the region (the buildings had become unstable).

Not like we live in an earthquake prone area or anything. :suicide:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Why would anyone have a terrorist attack in San Bernardino? They've suffered enough as it is!

But seriously, gently caress this country. :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah, go ahead, just let the Supreme Court do your dirty work for you, I guess.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dammit, I've saved more daylight than anyone!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

News to me!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I do vote by mail, so I already voted, but if I hadn't I'd probably be a bit frustrated.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

I saw a white beat up van on the curb that said "Department of Elections" on it. It looked like they just slapped it onto a beater van at the last second. That's my report. Hope we solve the case!

Actually that's the FBI.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Street fighting is a bad thing but it's hard to get too upset when Nazis are involved.

Anyway is there anything else to talk about? This is getting tedious. I guess Brown signed a new budget?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Shut up shbobdb.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

are most anti-gun people in the "ban all guns" camp these days? I can't tell if people like throwing around strong language, or people have just settled into extreme binaries.

It kind of depends on what mood I'm in, to be honest.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Shut up shbobdb.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The 91 express was a very successful experiment so now they're coming to every single freeway in SoCal. I-15 through the IE doesn't have HOV lanes and is getting very crowed due to tremendous growth in the area so when they started planning on widening the freeway they decided to add 1 HOV and 1 general purpose lane.

They walked back the HOV lane a year later and now just plan on adding 2 toll roads and no general purpose or HOV lanes instead lol

This annoys me for some reason

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Real estate and race politics. No wonder this thread completely blows now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

tsa posted:

Good lord is 63 dumb, what on earth is it with liberals and gun control legislation that accomplishes nothing. Oh right, pandering to low info morons.

I'm voting for it to spite you.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's refreshing that people are admitting that they're just voting out of spite rather than acting on any sort of reasonable purpose.

There's no such thing as a reasonable gun control bill to the gun people, so I may as well go in for the unreasonable ones.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

You still haven't answered the original question: do you think it matters whether or not a law successfully addresses a legitimate public policy goal?

Keeping people who have domestic violence convictions from having guns is a legitimate public policy goal.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Any thoughts on Prop. 54 (state law transparency proposal?) Kind of not sure what to make of it, although I'm suspicious of ballot measures that affect the legislative process directly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This makes me sad. :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I feel like tying prices to what the VA pays is only tiptoeing around the edges of the real factors affecting drug prices. Kind of a supposition on my part though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

So what's the deal with Prop 52? On balance it seems fine, but it seems like it makes itself harder to change, which is one of the things I hate about the proposition system.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Also, one of the ballot guides has this to say about Prop 51:

quote:

In addition, Proposition 51 would allow developers or homebuilders to pay only half the cost of a school construction project, even if that project benefits their housing development.*

How much do they pay now?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I just read Pete's write-up, having already voted, and his write-up is pretty damned convincing on no. Hrm. I didn't really think about what would happen if the drug companies just refused to sell at that price, leaving the state with no leverage to enforce the proposition.

Howdy, also-voted buddy. Time for misgivings and second thoughts!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Drug companies probably would have spent a lot of money fighting a ballot proposition to put their California offices to the torch and to throw their shareholders in the stocks so that the poor could pelt them with rotten fruit, but that wouldn't make voting for it out of spite a good idea.

Honestly I'd rather vote for this than Prop. 61.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Trying to get my mail-in ballot filled out.
Does anyone have a little more info on Prop. 3? Most of the other bond issue propositions seems to have more support than this one and I'm curious as to why.
Also, who the gently caress are all these judges? How do I find out?