Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can we talk about how horrible the new primary system is? Open primaries with the top two candidates going on to the general destroys what little relevance third parties have. At least we have the orly taitz screed in the voter guide for entertainment purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There was some listicle article I read recently about how sf was terrible. The one thing that really struck me was "everyone worth a drat has already moved to oakland." Maybe that struck me because I've followed countless others in moving out of the city to start a family in the suburbs. I love sf and I can't stand it at the same time. It's great if you're post college and rich or of you're tied into the various activism groups, but other than that... I'm straight, I'm over street festivals with naked people I don't particularly want to see naked. Halloween in the Castro has been utterly neutered from the awesomeness it used to be..

I'm over it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

It is an amusing-sounding detail that fits into the much bigger picture the journalist was trying to paint: thousands of development-stymieing decisions, each of which may seem reasonable on their own, which accumulate into a clusterfuck that has brought us this frustrating state of affairs where liberals are literally angry about people taking busses.

The owls are a loving metaphor.

The busses are a metaphor too. Instead of public services there are private services for the few. Bart, for instance, was supposed to go to Marin and make a loop around the bay. But nope, we got tax cuts instead and when traffic got really bad, private busses for the few and even more aggravating, tolls for single drivers in the carpool lane.

I think of the gated community as a parallel. There is a public pool in my town slated for closing, but the swanky folks (many of whom commute by bus into silicon valley) are expanding services funded by HoA including a community pool.

The issue in my view was never a rejection of collectivism or nimby, but a too small view of who should benefit from collective investment. Collective investment is fine until the wrong people start to benefit.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe along with a progressive tax we could fund schools at a state level instead of a local one. When the Palo alto kids get the same funding as the east Palo alto kids, maybe we'd see more political effort put into funding schools.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

What is the point of segregation if all schools are equally funded? That isn't what America is about

Has an economist studied how much of a house's value is based on the perceived quality of the school? If two identical houses are across the street, how much more is the one that sends their kids to a PA school vs. a EPA school?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

natetimm posted:

So tell me, why does Hawaii have such high home prices without a Prop 13? Could it be because it's a very desirable place to live? The idea that prop 13 is the thing holding up prices in CA is bullshit. Speculation and location are everything, and turning the working class against each other in a fight over table scraps via prop 13 is just about the worst strategy you could take to either lower home prices or increase state revenue. You could raise 7 billion in taxes alone by just repealing the commercial exemption and leave the rest of homeowners alone.

Hawaii is a weird example because of a couple reasons. First is its high proportion of military who pay tax not to hawaii, but to their home state. They also exempt military retiree pay. There's also a bunch of foreign investment in real estate, particularly from Japan that exploits weird tax rules to act as a tax haven. For local residents, there's a floor exemption for primary residences to help with the income poor, land rich folks with an even higher exemption for the poor gramma in the prop 13 example. On top of all that, there's a bunch of real estate that isn't owned outright, but held in 99 leases by bishop estate, the vestige of royal and old plantation money.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The Clippers aren't going anywhere, the team would be seriously devalued if it left the LA market.

He's been trying not buy a team in order to replace the sonics for a while. He made tries at the kings, the timberwolves... I'd fully expect him to move the Clippers. He doesn't give a poo poo about valuation.

quote:

They're almost guaranteed to get a name change and complete overhaul though. It's a perfect opportunity to shed the racist stink and terrible performance of the team of late. Rename them to the LA Riots or something.

Move them to the Lockheed area and name them the Stealth Ballmers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hey look a split dem vote for controller leads to two reps leading.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If the busses never existed, those workers would have the same commute pressures as the rest of those people not working at cash flush tech companies and housing growth would happen in closer cities like San Jose vs San Francisco. Hell there might even be the demand pressure to improve public transit solutions that would benefit everyone instead of just the few.

...but yeah mostly they're just a giant rolling metaphor for income inequality.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

I think that's what gets me. If the :airquote:liberal utopia:airquote: that is the San Francisco Bay Area can't even advocate for something as basic as public transit, then what hope is there for the rest of this country?

A gay man was executed for having the gall to be elected in San Francisco within my lifetime.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Never heard the word carlmont before

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Google ' s career page is quite diverse, what more do you want?

http://www.google.com/about/careers/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

I saw one of these assholes with a Confederate flag on the shoulder of the 5 north of San Diego last year.

He had rear-ended a brand new Mercedes, driven by a black man.

I bet he loved his insurance rates going up to cover the repairs :allears:

Lol you think he was insured.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Are homeless people the responsibility of the city they were born in? The one they lost their home in? The last place they claim residence?

Let's turn the reagan presidential library into a homeless shelter. Bunk beds in the Oval Office replica.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

e_angst posted:

Not allowing anyone sheltered in the library with HIV to have access to treatment, and never discussing the issue at all. Obviously.

Staff the shelter entirely with former union air traffic controllers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

How is it even allowed to invest in hedge funds? Aren't most pension programs limited to conservative AAA stuff(assuming it's not fraudulent housing market trash, which is how Calpers originally was burned in 2008)?

Wasn't the whole point of tranching so that companies could rate stuff higher than it was worth specifically so that institutional investors could buy in

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

California budgeted about 209 million for this fiscal year. In three months they've gone through most of it. I heard someone on the radio saying that they'll have run out of money by the end of this week but I can't find the source. At least my neck of the woods has been spared so far.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2014/09/19/cal-fire-budget-wildfire-costs-king-fire

I was listening to kqed as well, forum where they were interviewing sec state candidates and one was saying how federal support for infrastructure projects in California had dried up to nothing because of house republicans punishing us. Does anyone know if this is true?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There's snow in the Sierra. Please let it rain this year.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So stock up on gasoline and assless chaps.

Don't forget grass. No one rides for free.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

C'mon man. We're not animals.

Also chaps are more of a thing on the other side of the bay.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The really crazy one was that lawyerin was considered the #2 most ethical profession up through the 50s.

I can't imagine what could have changed to make people think differently.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Los Gatos has apartments?

Los Gatos covers some area north of Saratoga Road, all the way up to Hwy 85, so yes. The plebes are hidden back in that area behind the Safeway on Santa Cruz Road.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Muni also has 2x the number of people boarding per mile compared to other similar metro services, so its understandable that it would be slower.

You can read more here: http://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/files/agendaitems/6-3-14%20Item%2011%20City%20Services%20Benchmarking%20Report.pdf

I'm suprised San Jose isn't the asymptote on that chart. I never see anyone on that train, as I ride the carpool lane past 4 gridlocked regular lanes on Hwy 85.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Saying "Cali" is still hella dumb though.

Saying Hella is dumb. Or even worse, hecka

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rah! posted:

Now excuse me while I act like a name-elitist-hater hypocrite and get mad at all these new assholes renaming SF neighborhoods with cutesy acronyms. It's not "NOPA" dammit. It's North of the Panhandle, or simply "the panhandle". Or the Western Addition. Or gently caress you :argh:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

"You've earned points for reading!"

I hate everything. FTGE.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I use disposable bags to pick up dog poop. Do that with your public radio tote. :colbert:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

Anything to attract champion tier teams like Raiders or Rams again.

Won in the Rose Bowl no less.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iirc, ticket sales are shared with the league and luxury box sales are kept by the team. Thus the new stadiums like in Santa Clara that are half boxes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My vote for least favorite intersection is to 101s. The exit from 880 has traffic from 101N merging in before the exiting traffic can leave, then it dumps you onto a lane on 101 that is exit only to 880N. The next lane over is also exit only to Oakland Road, so if you actually have to go south on 101, you're forced to merge through two lanes of traffic merging the other way.

There are some beautiful roads though if you want to sightsee. One of my favorites is 25 that goes south from hollister. About this time of year, it's all beautiful green rolling hills dotted with wildflowers and seas of mustard.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

Yeah due to quality of the harbor, it has the biggest US naval base on the west coast.

Works both ways. San Francisco is a fantastic bay, but the political support wasn't there, so well...brac's a bitch is you're a liberal democrat.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

Nah PV is hippy liberal as hell

Also not a ton of folks live there

Stadiumchat: The Rams are going to be the ones that move. Calling it.

If PV was that conservative, they'd ok an open hunting season on those loving peacocks. God I hate those things.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Haha! The Oregon invasion has begun!

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2015/01/in-n-out_medford_oregon_constr.html

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A friendly reminder that the backlash against the Berkeley protests is what got Reagan elected governor and tuition enacted at UC to begin with.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Is his grave near a UC? A mass-pissing sounds like a pretty good form of protest to me.

Get on it.

The grave itself is sort of off aways and the wall blocks off view from the main part of the library. I'm surprised more people don't do it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

While the grave itself is out in the open-ish, there's tons of security and poo poo around.

Also, huge laughs for it being out in the middle of white-bread country.

poo poo, drink enough to have a decent stream and you don't even need to jump the fence.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm going to choose any option that keeps me out of Texas, tyvm.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wow, what's with #3 on that list? A lot of the old industrial parks I drive by around Warren and Fremont are still nearly empty on weekdays.

My last employer used a shady contract manufacturer in Fremont. I visited a.couple times and it was full of 18-24 year old Chinese women working on electronics assembly in an environment that said more "shirt waist" company rather than silicon valley.

But hey, women and tech. Count it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A snapshot of drought:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FMguru posted:

California was, briefly, its own sovereign country too (check our state flag for details).

Hawaii was an independent kingdom for hundreds of years.

But no, those don't count and Texas is superawesome and unique and deserves all sorts of respect and deference because yee haw it was once the (proudly slaveholding) Republic of Texas.

Hawaii was a group of tribes until white people chose a compliant chief and gave him guns. Hawaii as a kingdom is an entirely imperial construction and lasted in that form for a little over a hundred years until other white people decided they didn't need the fiction of an independent kingdom