Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Somebody shot a cop in San jose this evening. News is saying it was with a rifle from a nearby balcony.

http://kron4.com/2015/03/24/massive-police-presence-in-san-jose/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cicero posted:

It's funny to see the spite for developers, as if they were the problem. Even if developers only ever made middle-class housing instead of rich housing, that still wouldn't fix the fundamental problem of there's not enough housing.

Plenty of housing out in Tracy or Los Banos. Pittsburgh is on Bart! Here's a 3bed 2 bath for $330k. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/461-Pamela-Dr-Bay-Point-CA-94565/18337450_zpid/ Gentrify away!

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 31, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Family Values posted:

This is the key I think. The people that want to live in SF proper hold their noses up at Oakland, and none of them would even consider San Jose (even the downtown, urban part of it).

It's like moving to NYC and refusing to even consider living anywhere other than Manhattan.

Nyc at least has a decent rail infrastructure to get people to work in Manhattan. Marin and the 650 has nimby'd that to hell.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

it's true, despite SF's cool hip image most of the bay area is cookie cutter suburbs and office parks.

How far do we have to get from downtown SF?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

Charm in Palo Alto means preserving historic brady bunch style ranch houses that somehow sell for $2 million.

The comments section for their fish wrapper newspaper is always hilarious with things like ranting how VTA brings in scary poor people to rob the neighborhood.

A friend of mine is a palo alto cop. Spends a lot of time on noise complaints from running weed whackers and blowers. That and waiting close to the epa border waiting for calls for backup.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

I'm sure there's some way like zoning they could block the project.

Marin county is horrible, they also block the BART expansion back in the day

Scale looks weird. Palo alto is down where Sunnyvale should be.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

The man, who lives in The City,

wtf, is that actually in the style guide?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Cities. Yuck. Back to the country livin' for everyone, amirite?

Kentucky's looking surprisingly good.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The worry about food prices isn't starvation, it's revolution. People tend to topple governments who can't provide a steady, affordable source of bread.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Was this unexpected? The last time I was in ventura, the beaches covered in little loving oil globs.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Looks like we're getting a big rear end el niņo. Check your flood insurance.

http://www.mercurynews.com/drought/ci_28458401/california-drought-el-nino-weather-event-is-biggest

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Following up on that as another foreigner who only sporadically reads this thread, if the Central Valley's all hunky-dory in terms of climate and all that, then why's agricultural water consumption such an issue in the first place?

The water comes from the snow pack in the surrounding mountains. We haven't had a good snow is several years.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

There's a contest to win a house in Jackson by paying 100$ and submitting a dessert to be taste tested.

I have a dessert that would win for sure, so I was thinking let's do this.

Then I remembered where Jackson is.

No thank you.

I always thought jackson was pretty, but then I'm usually just driving through at dawn omw to kirkwood

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

Edit: Property tax seems like a big joke. The public road upkeep in some areas is impeccable and drops off sharply when property values does. A city being able to hold onto and spend what that city makes in prop. tax/tickets/etc. seems like a way to keep public funding benefiting the wealthy instead of being evenly distributed to where it's needed.

That's probably the least hosed up thing about property tax in california. The tax is frozen at time of property purchase, so two properties right next to each other can be paying 10x difference in tax. Not to mention commercial property shenanigans where a shell company is created to own property and the whole company is sold to transfer the property without triggering a tax reassessment.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ban all cars as well as bikes with gears.

All tech workers must wear clown suits. Cream pies distributed free to the homeless.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 2, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I splurge on eggs and get em at a cage free farm stand place. Local honey too. Even with the higher price, eggs are still a great source of cheap protein and I eat them almost every day.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

How much are they? I buy flats of 5 dozen from ours for like 20$. As long as you just get regular pastured cage free eggs and not XXL EXTREME JUMBO EGGS they're drat reasonable.

In that same ball park. I buy 2 1/2 dozen at a time. It used to be 8 bucks and now it's 12.

Everybody's up in arms, but I think it's money well spent.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

computer parts posted:

Yeah and that's all in Idaho too but you don't see mass migration there (and there's even some tech companies like Micron and (for a while) HP ).

I was up there a while back and considered getting a job at micron just because of the housing prices. Idaho's gorgeous.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I had to call 4 wrecking yards before someone would tow my 1989 Buick Skylark from my house. Even for free they didn't want it :(

We're you nothing but a mark in a bucket skylark?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The hosed up part about the subsidence to me is not only is it it's visible symptom of groundwater depletion, it also likely decreases the space of the actual aquifer to store water when and if Al Gore allows the rains to come. The aquifer is not just emptied, it's destroyed.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

andamac posted:

The problem is that you can't shut down an almond orchard for just a year, because it will die and you'll potentially lose millions and years of investment. So you can't just take a year off of almonds. It's made worse by the fact that an almond orchard doesn't produce for probably at least 5 years - if you lose it before then, absolutely everything is a sunk cost. .

We could have a moratorium on new orchards being planted for starters.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sydin posted:

And that would help how? .

Well we could make a great leap forward and collectivize all agriculture in the state but that isn't gunna happen. So how about a simple fix to stop making the problem worse.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

There are no blue states or red states.

*ahem*

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cicero posted:

Yeah I've only biked up to the northern part of Sunnyvale once, and it was an awful experience.

You mentioning crossing Caltrain so I went over to Google Maps and this made me laugh:

I present to you: American bike infrastructure.

I lived in this neighborhood and biked to work. Logical East-West (perpendicular to 101) was a pain. Lawrence is a death trap. That fair oaks bridge in particular too is one I would avoid. I would bike further down Evelyn to the caltrain station, under the pedestrian underpass to cross the tracks.

I also biked on central into San jose for years with never a problem.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Since when is there an underpass at the Caltrain station there? That's news to me and it would probably help me out since I don't really like the afternoon traffic at the Sunnyvale Ave at-grade crossing.

Lawrence station. Bout a half mile away from the fair oaks bridge posted above on the map.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Some people are pissed Junipero Serra is going to be a Saint.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-junipero-serra-vandalized-20150927-story.html

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

"Women are not lining up at their poster for speed dating; they aren't signing up to work in your lab because they want to be sexualized or objectified

So why are they wearing those sexy distracting lab coats?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, actually. I know its shocking to imagine for some people, but what lush means to someone who grew up in Hawaii is different than someone who grew up in South Dakota.

I did grow up in Hawaii and one of my favorite things about california is the brown.

They look like suede.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, the links cited in fact refer to the savannah hypothesis as only one of many theories. Nowhere in those links did it say anything about lawns being preferred to gardens. The only thing it says that could be used to count my point is this:

Native landscaping around the home wouldn't be a forest and doesn't have to be a desert. (Hint: people living in a desert probably should grow a grass lawn either)

I have however seen people remove large trees so that they could get better sun for their lawn.

Without going into :biotruth: poo poo, what people prefer is entangled in cultural values.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Watcjing the news about the Paris attacks and they said there were fighter jets scrambled over san francisco. Anyone know anything?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SJ is big and sprawling so your experience will vary wildly depending on which neighborhood you're talking about.
Almaden valley is los gatos lite and east SJ is more the hood.

The draw of SJ is the work. If you're in tech and can afford the bay, SJ isn't that bad if you're married and have a family. If you're younger and single, you'll want the city.

If you're not in tech, you're getting royally hosed by rising prices and should think about moving. Unless you can save of course in which case you should get your nest egg lined up somehwere safe and ready to pounce on a foreclosure once this most recent tech bubble pops.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

cheese posted:

True true, but you can still buy a 3+ bedroom craftsman in midtown for 400-600k, with old trees and walking distance to cool poo poo. Those are 1.5m dollar houses in a Campell or Cupertino, and 900k in a soul less south San Jose sprawl.

I don't really see a big distinction between Campbell and south sj. The big change comes when you hit the rich white people in Los gatos/Saratoga and the Indian people in sunnyvale.

Also, the row of korean restaurants on el Camino as you get into santa clara rule. Tofu bowls for days.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I lived in Southern Oregon for a few years, and I met my share of Jeffersonian supporters. I even met Jeffersonian "militia" members, which was about the time I realized I needed to get the hell out of there.

Honestly, if Southern California could split off that'd be great.

Not even all So Cal. If we could split off Orange County and the IE, everyone would be much happier.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Christ... 20 dudes just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger. gently caress this place. Wasnt this the whole reason behind tasers? None of the police officers are in danger here. Taser him and arrest him FFS SFPD.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Turns out tasers kill people too. Turns out that a common use of tasers is to punish criminals you don't like.

Yeah this. I remember taser being sold as a non-lethal alternative to guns. Turns out they're just used for pain compliance.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

SFPD regulates Tasers. They won't let you use a taser if the person is too old or too young.

You should definitely shoot them instead.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

Either way he had a knife and deserved to be blasted.

See this is the attitude I have a problem with. These cops aren't judge dredd. Arrest the dude and bring him before a court where he can get the justice he "deserved." The cop's weapon is to protect the lives of innocents, not to mete out justice. This guy wasn't an imminent threat to any of the twenty dudes standing in front of him.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

What you say about suspects being innocent until proven guilty and cases of mistaken identity and all, completely agree. And I'm not a police officer nor do I know any personally, but they're not soldiers. In my view, they have a social "pact" for lack of a better word with the society they protect to put themselves at risk in order to keep the peace but not necessarily in the face of imminent death. The problem is how do you determine when you are in imminent danger. Humans are apparently not very good at making that determination.

I do know a bunch and imo it's a pretty hosed up culture. In general they get off on the power and violence. Off duty it tends to be pretty insular, only socializing with other officers and such. There is a big us vs them mentality and it comes out in a big ugly racist way after a few drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008