Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Unless aliens are going to come down and reform LA with magic future nanobots ... that really is likely to be a disastrous mess.

Basically this. Road rage shootings will rise. I guess thats good? More water for the survivors? :furyroad:

From what I understand, widening roads tends not to have any positive long term effects on congestion. Might as well encourage alternate forms of transportation, especially if it means people who can't afford cars can get around easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

I still find it incredible that despite living a five minute walk from a lightrail station that drops me off across the goddamn street from my office is still slower than slogging all the way up SJ to Milpitas through rush hour. gently caress at grade public transit forever. If you're ever going to hear me say nice things about SF, it's that Bart & MTA are appreciably fast, at least in my experience.

I've only ridden it a handful of times so far but riding VTA from South SJ to campus downtown has been super chill and positive. The extra time it takes is worth being able to relax and read rather than engage my clutch and brake every 25 feet, and then shelling out money for parking.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

etalian posted:

It was originally intended as commuter rail type system to the Caltrain hence the really long waits outside the city.

I like this fantasy map of the BART:

Lmao at BART being built through any part of Marin County just lmao.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Yes, but like a poster after me pointed out, whatever the prevailing attitude in 1961 Marin County was, it's now dominated by Last One In and NIMBY. Plus it's expensive to live there, very spread out, and full of car fetishists who love to drive.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

To be honest I don't see how California could possibly cut its use of vehicle fuel by 50% in 15 years. Not only would Californians have to give up almost all their non-Prius cars they own right now, vehicle manufacturers would have to start selling cars with 50% better mileage today. Or I guess the idea is that we'd replace 50% of the cars on the road each day with mass transit? Again I don't see that being remotely feasible in a 15 year timeframe.

I think that MPG is only part of the solution. If people could afford or have incetive to live closer to their jobs, then overall car usage would go down and everyone could still hang onto their 1995 tacoma.

A cash for clunkers type program would address the problem directly, but better public transit, more pedestrian and bicycle accessibility, and more affordable housing in the cities would also help.

As for the percentage, I couldn't say how realistic 50% reduction in 15 years is but it doesn't hurt to be ambitious in this case. I'm mostly disappointed that oil lobbyists have so much influence, and that the politicians are throwing their hands up in response to them.

California has been largely successful in cutting water usage during the drought through peer pressure and PSAs. If only we could do the same with fossil fuels.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

I believe there's already a federal law that requires the ability to register to vote at the DMV, it's just not mandatory. This still doesn't solve the issue of people needing to go out and do something in order to register to vote.

You can register online!

http://registertovote.ca.gov/

However, same day registration would be good and automatic registration would be even better.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I really want to empathize with these pathletes, but they really seem to be fanatics about it to the exclusion of literally every other mode of transportation.

Dude. Community meetings are full of insane weirdos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjX1IaU1A0w

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm interested in hearing opinions about Kamala Harris. I read up on her a bit but I'm not too sure. Anything I should know about the people she's running against?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I guess my hang up with her is her foreign policy positions. Obviously she has no voting record to go off of, but her website is very vague. Maybe I'll vote for her and just hope she isn't hawkish.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Administrators will be the first against the wall.

Rumor has it around my department that the CSUs will strike in mid April.

http://www.calstate.edu/hr/employee-relations/bargaining-updates/documents/2016/CFA-CSU-Fact-Finding-Report.pdf

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Also because we were the first UC.

Also in my experience people around campus who are California natives are pissed at administration because everyone has that one person they know who applied and (in their opinion) was qualified but didn't get in and now this news dropped.

Here I was thinking that people hated the UC administration because they are transparently corrupt and get paid ungodly amounts of money.

http://www.davisvanguard.org/2016/03/indicting-linda-katehi/

quote:

Then we see Chancellor’s service to the board of John Wiley and Sons from 2011-2014. John Wiley and Sons, known to cartelize the market with marked up sale prices for its textbooks, is also the vendor that the UC buys into the most for its textbooks. Wiley and Sons comprises 6.3% of the entire UC Davis market share for textbook publishers. In winter quarter 2016, 49 courses used textbooks from Wiley and Sons, and 3,497 students in total enrolled in courses using these textbooks. Over the span of her three years of service at Wiley and Sons, Katehi received $421,215 for her patronage. This amount includes return on stocks from the publisher.

A price-fixing scheme based on textbook purchases went directly to Katehi’s pocket; this blatant abuse of monopoly is one in which we define as rent-seeking, entirely dependent on the students feeding into her windfall. The mathematics cannot be twisted; if we are to reclassify Katehi’s role as a private executive, this would be considered profit, but as a public employee, this is nakedly disguised looting and fraud from thousands of students.

Her crime never ended there, either. In the campus-wide email Katehi sent out on March 17, she mentions the following:

“I will establish a $200,000 scholarship fund for California undergraduate students at UC Davis from my Wiley stock proceeds.” Never mind that she still profits from half of those proceeds, keeping them pocketed into her salary. Perhaps, most egregious, however, is the use of a private monopoly to compensate her highway robbery. Serving on the board in the first place is a clear conflict of interest by siding with private interests at the expense of students, but the Chancellor takes it further with a bribe with textbook sale funds, committing a total erasure of history and soothing her own private interests with a false revisionist narrative of charity.

To pour salt on the wounds, she audaciously proposes that, “my work on the board had no impact on UC textbook purchases.” Speaking strictly from looking at the market economics, being a part of the top 50% of the market share is a strong position for publishers to mark up prices; which is exactly the case of Wiley and Sons, rendering the Chancellor a quiet participant in legitimizing the price-fixing of the private sector. All at once, the twin crimes of bribery and deception are at play, all for the sake of marketing.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What is with this thread and specifically scapegoating Chinese people?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

are there any good, relatively recent articles that detail how hosed up the UC system is? I'm fascinated by how it works, how it changed over the years, dirt on the administration, etc.

See the article I posted a day or two ago about Chancellor Katehi at UC Davis.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Litany Unheard posted:

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi is on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Hopefully she gets poo poo-canned.

Yeah, hopefully. On the other hand, if the only action taken is firing her and not addressing the rampant corruption at UC's administrative level then it's just going to be another opportunistic CEO-type chancellor that's doesn't work for the interest of students.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

someone has to protect the flat roof tar mopping/TPO membrane industry!

I grew up in an Eichler and I gotta say, they are beautiful houses, but goddamn was the roof poorly designed. My parents have been battling leaks since they bought the house. Also, bats get in fairly often.

fits my needs posted:

Lol. It's easy to be a "true liberal" when you're a six figure techie living in SF that walks to work or whatever. Sorry you don't think that BART isn't a critical piece of public infrastructure that should run regardless of if a BART janitor wants to make more money and get even better benefits than most commuters. A "little more time" makes it sound like they weren't loving over thousands of people by adding multiple hours to their commute times.

Also great idea making everything proprietary so we have to pay more for track and cars to upgrade this piece of poo poo system BART board! I guess we are too special to use the same train cars as everyone else .

Why do you hate janitors?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Might as well not pass any laws ever, then

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Remember that time the town of West, Texas physically blew up because of low regulations LMAO

Texas is a disgrace. I am SHOCKED that an innovative company like Jamba Juice LLC would stoop so low.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I voted against the bay restoration parcel tax. It seemed so strange that an environmentally progressive measure would employ a regressive tax. Maybe it's less regressive in the Bay Area because anyone who owns a parcel is probably rich?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It incrementally makes owning a house more prohibitive for the masses while it hardly effects top earners. I would have voted for it if it was an income tax or one based on the value or size of the property.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I would support it if it started at $0 and went up. I agree that taking steps to protect the bay and its watershed is good. Overall I'm not disappointed that it passed but I think there were better ways to fund it.

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 8, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I get the water use part, but why is the export of crops to China bad?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I was listening to KQED today and apparently it's illegal to issue automated speeding tickets in California. Whose bright idea was that?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FRINGE posted:

Anyone sane.

What kind of fucktard wants a private for-profit company managing automated fines?

I bet you are an unsafe driver.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

incoherent posted:

Literally the only thing needed to be said on the topic.

Anyway, those who live in the better part of the state (LA County) make sure to vote yes on measure M to ensure we have a even better metro system when we get the olympics again (Because none of the northern part of the state could ever handle 3 olympics let alone one :smug: you poo poo NIMBY fygm'ers).

More rail
More connections to other counties
Better freeways (but mostly better public transit)

It's already in arizona.

The 1960 Olympics were near Tahoe.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

didnt some dude stab like 20 people to death in japan just this year

Huh I didn't hear about that but if that's the case, gun owners can just switch to knives since they're clearly just as effective.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

KQED's Forum is talking about Mountain View's Measure V (rent control) this morning, and the apartment association spokesman is insufferably political. "Wah wah! You're changing the rules on property owners and that's UNFAIR!" "People who earn $150k and above will benefit from this more than poors! Won't somebody think of the poors?" (which conveniently forgets that this is exactly the reason Social Security still exists today) "What you should be doing is building more housing, not attacking existing housing owners! *proceeds to vote against new housing since it would hurt their income*"

I didn't tune in for this episode, but KQED Forum owns.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Zachack posted:

Forum is total dogshit and I die inside every time I have to drive to Sacramento because I'm usually driving after morning rush hour which means news is ending (is there something bad about California Report) and Forum is beginning. I would rather listen to right wing AM radio in some weird reverberating southeast Asian language that sounds like a numbers station merged with a cult broadcast than have to listen to total loving dimwits obliterate what little faith I have in the electorate.

Driving home usually entails hearing the outro theme to Newshour and then being punished with the money show whatever it's called. Then because I'm crossing multiple mountain barriers/regions I lose all track of whatever animal-named station is playing classic rock (which now seems on the cusp of including Kid Rock and Korn as old enough to be classic) and I turn off the radio and drive in mute silence.

You sound real mad and you must be talking about 96.9 THE EAGLE

The host of forum asks good questions and the show addresses most important Bay Area issues. The idiot callers are a feature.

"We'll let that comment stand and move to the next caller"

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Michael Krasny has gotten a lot crankier in the time I've been listening to him (16 years). He's pretty much the living embodiment of the hot tub Marin liberal. There have been some really good shows though. I particularly liked his interview with Studs Terkel.

...but they love to poo poo on my A's, so they can go gently caress themselves.

I can only take so much of Democracy Now! I'm pretty much in line with their politics, but if I ever hear her mention oh bee tee dubs, I was in East Timor again, I will shoot myself. And her pronunciation drives me up the wall, mILLions....

The better show on KFPA is Letters and Politics, but even they have tried to turn it into a call-in show like forum, except their callers are even nuttier and less worth listening to.

KPFA was broadcasting some building 7 truther poo poo the when I checked it out recently.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ld4FJTra0

Did anyone watch this idiocy?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dude, this is the California thread.

Vote for whoever the gently caress you want for president.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wait, is your friend being trafficked as a sex worker? Wouldn't want to snitch on her and ruin her life!!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bummer. My big hope was that we would repeal the death penalty.

This election blows.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Fremont looks and smells like poo poo.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol at the fremont library, i've tutored chinese kids whose parents pushed carts at 99 ranch, vietnamese kids whose breadwinner is a laundromat owner, and sikh kids whose parents drive taxis, but sure i'll get in touch with em and tell them they're gentrifiers because a few aggrieved white bay area goons wagging their fingers at those people moving in said so

You can't just say an area isn't gentrified because you anecdotally know working class people living there.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

RIP Sutter

He was a Good Boy

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

the day i find out that Huell Howser had a sick poo fetish is the day i leave this godforsaken republic

FYI you can watch every episode of California's Gold here:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/

There's even a map so you can see what he covered in your town.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm pretty torn on this. On the one hand, violent protest disgusts me. It's clear that the antifas are just patting themselves on the back and scaring away people who would sympathize with peaceful assembly. On the other hand, whenever protestors peacefully block the Bay Bridge or whatever, no one takes them seriously and start complaining, "why can't they protest somewhere where I can ignore them?"

I liked that video where they just disrupted the speaker in the auditorium. It made the guy look like an idiot and denied him an audience.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The Berkeley protests will push away those GOP moderates we've been courting!

This seems ominously shortsighted. This will be a tough 8 years.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I dunno, the question is whether Jefferson is more bitter toward the feds or the state.

Maybe it's obvious, but since I don't really know anyone north of Redding, and all the Central Valley ag people I know are more of the latter, I doubt they would concede to being governed by body that would increase their taxes even more.

I suspect, if anything, that were CA to attempt secession, the civil war would be fought only between Californians. Anyone care to guess which Californians are military families and spend their weekends killing birds?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

They're also the ones who constantly bitch about California so I imagine they would just gently caress off to Texas or whatever.

Purely anecdotal but-

I saw equal time complaining about Obama and ARE WATER. These days they focus all of their energy on trying to turn the delta into a salty desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If anyone wants to laugh at republicans making GBS threads themselves, check out the posts by the Department of Water Resources on facebook. Apparently there is a giant conspiracy by DWR and the Orville dam will fail any second.

"I'M NO ENGINEER BUT,,"

quote:

Funny that two weeks ago a friend warned me not to go near that dam when it rains. She said she has personally seen cracks in the dam itself (over twenty years ago) and they have been covering it up.

quote:

Meanwhile..residents are waiting for someone to tell them to evacuate..lol..dummies evacuate while you are ahead..dont trust these cats

DWR posted:

Despite rumors, Oroville Dam spillway has not collapsed. Additional damage to the spillway has occurred due to the increased flows, but is still being used.

quote:

Repair our Dams no train bullet

quote:

Every where is flooding i know what the echo system needs more water!

quote:

DWR are liars.they have no clue

quote:

drat they are stupid for opening it back up gonna be all bad here soon watch an see

quote:

DWR says there is no threat to the dam or public. They are the LAST people I would ever trust. If I lived in Oroville, Yuba City, Marysville, or anywhere along the Feather River I would stay the weekend elsewhere.