Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
If we switch to popular vote he might have a chance at the presidency, but yeah he’s DOA in the electoral college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Top-two primaries will hopefully keep us away from NY style corruption by still having actually competitive general elections though.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah what’s the deal there, Bakersfield’s a fairly large city, so I would have thought it would have some defense against people like him just due to the nature of urban areas. Is it just CHUDopolis?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
drat, no transport funding unless cities hit their new housing requirements. That’s a pretty big stick.

‘If you don’t build enough new housing, Gavin Newsom will gently caress your spouse (you know he could) and kill your dog.”

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
This and the single payer stuff, gotta say I’m warming to G A V I N a little. I guess this is what it looks like when psychotic ambition is focused on good, not evil.

i love my murderous android governor

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s technically the most efficient way to allocate poverty alleviation benefits, by matching need to the benefits given, so you’ll occasionally see well meaning technocratic liberals calling for it. But in practice, yes, the above posters are correct, it very often gets used as a cudgel to keep people from accessing public benefits. And republicans love to add on lots and lots of addditional requirements that require additional administration, rendering moot whatever savings means testing would have delivered anyway.

TLDR: in a perfect world they would make sense, but due to racism\republicans they are for the most part a bad thing.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I know we’re gonna be more relevant than usual in the dem primary this year, but it will be especially interesting if Harris eats poo poo early on, as looks increasingly possible. She has most of the state party locked up in terms of endorsements, etc. and if that opens up gonna be a lot of jockeying.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Jesus. Have a beer or something man. The golden age is within us, etc. Pessimism of the intellect optimism of the will and all that.

Bad things are going to probably happen yeah, but there’s hope yet. A lot of good things once thought impossible are happening, not just bad ones. If you told politics watchers in 2009 that Bernie Sanders would be a serious contender for the dem nom and one of the main sources of ideological energy in it in ten years they’d laugh in your face. There are a lot of unknown unknowns in the future, and not all of them are going to be bad.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The anti-vaccine people that SB 276 dragged out of the woodwork are kinda freaking me out a little tbh. As a political scientist I always knew that they existed, but it’s a little more visceral seeing them out in force, in my state. Feels not great man. Hope they all follow through on their threats to leave.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I need to stop reading about California land use politics or I'm going to self-radicalize into the world's only Georgist tankie.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Newsom signed AB5 :dance:

Now the Uber/Lyft shitheads are gonna probably bring a ballot referendum

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s not “going anywhere”, it’s gone. It’s law. The lol nothing matters poo poo is tiring, especially when it’s not particularly accurate.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Kamala Harris is what the median dem senator probably should be, but I am glad she will not be president.

In other news, I don't think this thread has mentioned this much: while SB50 didn't get passed, it did in fact get a lot easier this past legislative session to build ADUs (Additional Dwelling Units, basically like a cottage in the backyard with it's own publumbing, etc.) It's not enough, but it is a pretty significant step towards getting more housing.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 26, 2019

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Jesus christ people, ADUs are good. Anything that increases the supply of housing and decreases the ability of lovely NIMBYs to constrain it is good. Like was mentioned upthread, these aren't shacks, they're basically apartments, just in someone's backyard rather than a high/midrise building.

I mean if I had my loving druthers, we'd all live in judge dredd megablocks with ample public transit. But we aren't there yet and won't be for a while. Intermediate steps are good.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You’re right, we should never improve anything in any way that doesn’t solve all problems immediately because that would be petty incrementalism.

This produces more housing and makes it harder for landowners to block the construction of new rental housing. It will allow more people to live closer to where they work and lead to increased density. Making it much easier to construct granny units is one of the ways that Japan got their housing costs down.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
When it works it's probably the ideal, most effective use of space, bu retail first story can be tricky to do right (in terms of placing businesses there that will actually do well).

When I lived in LA a couple years ago, a lot of those lovely faux-italian apartments in Chinatown/DTLA had a ton of vacant storefronts in their retail spaces the entire time I was living there, which probably represented a non-trivial loss of revenue for the developer, as opposed to an apartment, which would have probably been filled. I get why more of them wouldn't want to take that risk, particularly in the bay.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, ADUs are good, and every argument against ADUs here seems to be that they won't single handedly usher in the revolution and the abolition of private property ownership or some poo poo. NIMBY groups have fought extremely hard against ADU laws being passed, and organizations advocating for renters have fought for them.

It's not SB50, but it's definitely A Good Thing that they're easier to make now. Applications for ADU permits have shot way up since these new laws passed. Thats new housing being constructed that wouldn't have been otherwise, or would have been illegal and potentially not up to code.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
What the hell? How many riverside goons are there? And yeah, Riverside’s downtown is exactly what a medium sized city’s downtown should be in terms of nightlife.

They’re doing all the right things too with expansion, all of the new attractions are within walking distance.

Getting between UCR and DTR via bus is stupid easy. Free if you’re a student too.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 1, 2019

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Family Values posted:

Mao's peasant revolution i.e. the Trump base.

Yeah no, this isn’t true. Rural and poor are not synonymous. Trump voters as a group have higher incomes overall than non-trump voters.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Anyone with knowledge about the utility situation feel like doing an effort post on nationalizing utilities, with the big pro/cons of doing so? Or linking to a good deep dive on the topic. I know some people who aren’t right wing/neoliberal types oppose it, but I don’t really know enough about the arguments for/against to make an informed judgement on the subject.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah that’s what I was getting at. What would nationalization actually look like, what form would it take legally, administratively, in terms of governance, what are the arguments for a state agency vs. municipal ownership, etc.

Even if “install public ownership, problem solved” were true (and hey, maybe it is) there’s still lot of grey area there.

Also, re: powerlines, wouldn’t buried lines be bad because of seismic activity?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
My local PD used a pretty innocuous “we caught a guy stealing a car” press release to go on a mini-rant about how Prop. 47 was bad and had made their lives harder. Super cool and appropriate thing for public employees to do in an official press release.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah it was in riverside. I read the comments. Don’t read the comments. Might have to break my rule about engaging for this one.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I think the Sheriff’s narrowly win because the current guy is a huge pro-gun anti-sanctuary City shithead.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah that’s true , but some of us have anonymous next door accounts, in our real neighborhood but not tied to our actual name, grandfathered in from before they started having stricter verification standards :smug:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s still new housing. It’s still increased density. Both of those are pretty much unqualified good things.

I mean it’s not enough but it’s a non-trivial step in the right direction.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I don't use NextDoor that often, and I am normally pretty sincere when I do, even though I have an anon account. Once though, I got frustrated with all of the "but my propety values!" boomers, and posted this:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
LA is near the coast and will still exist. Some of the sprawling suburbs probably aren’t viable but SoCal as a whole will still be a major population center.

It’s places like Vegas and Phoenix that are going to be gone.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Most projections for the IE have it ending up where Phoenix is now, except with a wetter winter. lovely, but still viable. Larger, more economically important areas like Riverside have a good chance of still being around in a century, particularly because they’re growing right now.

Places like Victorville that are already struggling are gonna dry and die though, yes.

We’re gonna see a retreat to urban centers that can be efficiently cooled is my prediction. The suburbs are a thing of the past (good loving riddance).

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 12, 2019

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It's an interesting question, but it's not something that high quality polls get regularly done on, I'd imagine. My educated guess is that cities taking over would probably be a lot more popular than the state government, even though imo that's the ideal soloution because this kinda poo poo should be regionally managed rather than lots of little fiefdoms.

Couple of places have voted for municipal fiber/internet, so it's something that the electorate can be persuaded on.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Is Licardo bad? I’ve heard good things about him fighting Trump’s FCC with regards to 5g.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Well that sucks. I liked the stuff that he was doing for biking and pushing back on Trump's FCC.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Municipalize PG&E. Nationalisation is probably too hard a sell but plenty of places already have publicly owned utilities.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean sure, gently caress PG&E, and their ownership structure should probably be different. Public trust, local municipal power, whatever.

But the primary problem here is that we live in a climate that evolved to burn, and its only getting hotter and drier. Insane, sprawling development has created lots wildlife urban interfaces that are going to burn when this stuff happens.

I’m not at all opposed to doing things like publicly owning PG&E in one way or another. But equally important is stuff like SB50 so that future development is more sustainable and less exposed to this kind of stuff.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The Reagan library burning is one of the last things you should want because it contains plenty of the documentary evidence of what kind of President he actually was (bad), and the less of that there is the more room there is for the hagiographic Saint Ronald of myth to propagate.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

If the state enacted my Dirigible Housing Project this fire risk poo poo wouldn't matter. Everyone could ride the drifting air currents and watch as the ground far beneath them twists and chars under the intense heat of our

One of the strongest arguments for taxing billionaires more is that not one of them has built a luxurious dirigible yacht in which they live imo. If they’re just going to do boring poo poo like have a big house I’d rather have healthcare.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It's not time, it's money. Riverside either doesn't pay or pays very poorly it's council members. That's why it's filled with retirees. Paying elected positions basically nothing is how a lot of cities make it difficult for anyone who isn't rich to run for office.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I like the food lab :( , the beers and vegan burgers are tasty. We're getting a route 30 tap room too.

Anyone have any good polling on the chances of the prop 13 repeal passing?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
"THAT.... 47, is Governor Gavin "Android" Newsom."

PARODY, do not black bag me, secret service(or CHP? idk who protects the governor)

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I looked up the CA GOP website because I was curious about something, and man they really have given the gently caress up on this state.

I mean look at this poo poo. It’s incredibly bare bones

Contrast with the dem website, which is more what you would expect for a major party in a huge state.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 20, 2019