Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I heard on the news that California was on fire. Surely this is God's wrath against the sodomites.

The fires are in northern San Diego county, which is suburban Republican territory. One of Mitt Romney's sons lives near the origin of the first fire on Tuesday, across the valley from where I live.

So God is angry at Darrell Issa (my esteemed representative) or some poo poo. Or he's racist against Asians, there's a lot of us living here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I get my mail-in ballot and then turn it in at the polling station on election day.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Must have been thinking about Orange County and San Diego.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

And the vast majority of the Chinese students are American-born, like myself, or came here as small children.

There's always a bit of a wall between the American-raised Asians and the FOBs, in my experience.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Family Values posted:

This isn't an actual answer.

Okay I'll bite: if blue collar whites are getting priced out of the area as it becomes more affluent, you'd expect them to be replaced to a large degree by affluent whites seeking those highly rated schools and high property values and such. For some reason, that isn't happening.

There was an article last year about a new 99 ranch opening somewhere in the greater LA area in a similar sort of neighborhood. Every white person the LA Times interviewed in that story came off as racist. This old lady would literally drive an extra five miles or something because she couldn't handle getting her groceries at 99 instead of Ralph's.

Edit: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-groceries-race-20150727-htmlstory.html

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Oakland's white population grew by ~10% while the black population dropped quite a lot between 2000 and 2010.

Now I don't really have a full statistical picture of things. It would be nice to know where affluent whites are moving vs poor whites, and how local conditions affect that. I don't think you can deny that racism is a factor in Fremont's population generally being replaced by affluent minorities instead of affluent whites, though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

silence_kit posted:

The idea of some Chinese guy, whose parents were possibly computer programmers/managers/executives employed by some technology mega-corp, classifying himself as a victim of white flight because he lived in Fremont, CA is hilarious to me. A huge reason why white flight was so bad in places like Gary, Indiana and East St. Louis, Illinois wasn't just that the white people were being racist and left town--it was that they took all of the businesses and industries with them and left minorities to rot. Fremont is like the total opposite of those places.

When did he ever say he was a victim? White flight is white flight, even though the economic consequences in this case were minimal.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Like, okay, it didn't leave Fremont a poverty-stricken slum, but white people are loving off, so what else are we supposed to call it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

So what would be the proper terminology

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Can you point me to where he ever said he suffered negative consequences? Because as far as I recall he was just asserting that there was a racial bias component to the demographic changes he saw in his area.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Bastard Tetris posted:

Issa's gonna get wrecked, it's glorious

I need to go back home to pick up my ballot and contribute, poo poo.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Artificer posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's an amazing username/post combo

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah I think both effects are self-reinforcing. Saner people generally gravitate towards the two major parties, which increases the proportion of looks in third parties, which drives away saner people when those kooks take leadership positions, etc.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

But why specifically Asians when white people still make up a majority of that field?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Because he was using the term white flight to complain about Asians coming in and displacing poor whites.

What I meant was, why is it specifically Asians driving the gentrification when the economic demographic in question is still dominated by white people? Why aren't richer white people replacing the poor ones?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not really sure if it would be considered white flight or gentrification, it feels like there is just a lack of non-Asian replenishment. All the people that bought houses for 60k in the 70's and 80's are now 70 years old and just dying out or taking their money and retiring somewhere cheaper, and there is no reason for engineer Smith to move there when he could have a better commute to most places from Redwood City or San Mateo. I think Fremont (especially Warm Springs/Mission) has an "Asian" premium built into the price that rich white people see no reason to pay, but Asians will pay so grandma has people to block aisles at Costco talk to with and just for the more familiar community, since a significant portion are first generation. I am sure if there was some English speaking city in China full of white people, a disproportionate amount of white people would move there, even if it cost more. I just had a Chinese coworker move to Fremont, paying more for a smaller house and increasing his commute 1 hour each way, for no reason other than to live in Fremont. Fremont has a fairly crappy commute anywhere, and no real downtown or amenities, so if you have enough money to drop 1.2m or whatever on a 1700sqft house, why would you choose there when you get more bang for your buck almost everywhere else. I can walk to like 30 restaurants in the peninsula burbs, my parents still live in Fremont and they stopped going out just because who wants to get on the freeway just to go to PF Changs or Claimjumpers.

This is the kind of perspective I was looking for, thanks.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

We've got a shitton of veterans because of all the military bases in this state, too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

It would make more sense to do some kind of north-south split, but that would just result in two blue as hell states instead of one.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Re: the anti-homeless stuff - other states have been caught literally dumping their homeless on us already, we might as well help them because they're ending up here one way or another

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I'd be saltier but according to an article I read earlier today De Leon is polling at 8% (lower than the literal nazi) so sadly who Obama endorses hardly matters

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

got a text from the Genevieve Jones campaign for Issa's district. Was already planning to vote for her but I forgot to fill out my ballot this weekend. Guess I'll take care of it tonight

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

So I'm at about 1 text an hour now. You guys doing better or worse?

1 or 2 a day. Ballot's in the mail already so I ignore them

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

otoh feinstein has been the face of gun control legislation for decades, some repubs might vote against her for that

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pendleton is an army base, but yeah Miramar is Marines.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

i'd let the marines know if i were you https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/

gently caress, pretty sure it was an Army base when I was a kid

edit: nope I'm just a dumb rear end wow

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pomp posted:

I get what you're saying, but I had four newly homeless mothers come in to work this week so I'm gonna need some convincing that we're not a failing economy

It's not failing if you're bougie scum like me but it's pretty hosed if you're poor

Median income is what, 30k? I'd have to pay half that in rent every year around here

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Issa's old district looks like it's going blue, gently caress yeah

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

It's insane to me that the utilities are allowed to get away with murder in California, of all places. Like, they want to raise rates to recoup losses due to their mistakes, or shrinking markets? TOUGH poo poo... if you get to make profits on your state-endorsed utility monopoly, you also get a haircut if the market changes like other private companies do.

Anaheim does, also, off the top of my head.

Republicans were in charge of California up to like, the 90s, and we're still suffering from the aftereffects. Plus we didn't get a solidly liberal consensus among our Dems until post-Schwarzenegger afaik, power company deregulation happened under Dem governor Gray Davis

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Wasn't 6 exactly the opposite of that last set of polling?

Yeah that seems waaay off from previous polling

edit: http://amp.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article219064245.html

Yeah, something screwy is going on. Did somebody reverse the numbers?

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Dropped my ballot in the mail, pretty much voted according to the DSA voter guide for San Diego.

Really hope Levin gets the seat over Harker

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Necroskowitz posted:

Carol Corrigan was the dissenting vote on the decision overturning Prop 8 so that was a definite no. For the rest I just based it off which governor appointed them.

Basically this

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Heard on the radio about how one kid survived the Las Vegas shooting only to die last week in the Thousand Oaks shooting.

:smith:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Maienschein switching parties seems... kinda big. Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 25, 2019

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

looking it up isn't AD77 like, the rich suburbs like carmel valley and poway

duncan hunter country is like, everything north and east of it, consulting a map

Yeah I grew up in Maienschein's district, in the Rancho Bernardo area. My peers there ran the gamut from extremely leftist to arch-conservative but by and large we were pretty bougie.

Edit: These suburbs are still majority white but there's a pretty hefty amount of middle-class minorities in the area. All kinds of Asian, Iranian, Hispanic, etc.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2019

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Ah yes, LA, city of the zoot suit riots and the rodney king beating, "color-blind"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Runaktla posted:

Yes cause it’s still totally the 1960s.

I like how you didn't even bother looking up when those events occurred

(Zoot suits was 1943, Rodney King was 1991)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Seriously lol, I had no idea

I went to UC Riverside, do I count? (I'm in LA now)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Bizarro Watt posted:

Still not enough to really have a functioning state government. The state version of the EPA for example has a $400m budget-- for a comparison, Cal EPA's is $1.8 billion. You can probably guess at how efficient it is at regulating industry.

What did you say? I couldn't hear you, on account of the exploding refinery

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I voted for Rachel Rossi! - probably the only race that really mattered on my ballot outside of the dem primary (+1 to Sanders)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

And it's almost certainly got to be there, why is Garcetti and his admin dragging their feet?

E: it is there

I'm in LA and I'm pretty sure I got it last week, no idea where from. I self-isolated and didn't go get tested because lol they aren't testing people here.