Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

They strike me as patriarchal. You know why the poor don't eat the same way as the rich? It's because they're poor, not because they're dumb.

If only there was some way to make the worst things people could eat a rich people food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xaris posted:

Germany has a really cool CRV system, pretty much ~27 cents on all plastic bottles (even water), cans, etc, and all the grocery stores have vending-machines where you put them in and get your money back right there, I think its a "if you sell it, you must accept a return on it" system tho not sure on the actual law itself. I just remember being very impressed that they had such a cool thorough crv system when I was there. A lot of other European countries have similar as well.

The main problem with CRV in California (and other states) is that you basically have to drive to the podunk outskirts of town to a recycling center, and often wait in a long smelly line just to get your return. This means you usually have to stockpile a lot of cans to make it even worthwhile to make that trip, and many people do not have room to stockpile a bunch of cans and then dedicate the time to go out for that long trip. Most people will just opt to throw it in their recycling dumpster instead or not even bother.

Upping CRV to match many European countries of like 25 cents on all bottles and cans wouldn't be bad at all, but there must be requirements that stores that sell bottles/cans also must accept them for CRV return so it's very convenient for everyone to do so (like those reverse vending machines)

Oregon has that I think, at least all the Safeways near here have a bottle recycling thing. They only take glass though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Reckoning posted:

How are we defining "harms", exactly? Or is this one of those "it's moral when I do it" deals?

Okay, so soda is so bad for you that grown adults can't decide for themselves whether or not to ingest it, and we need to help them make the right decision... but it's not actually bad enough to be illegal, like heroin.

A lot of people would disagree with heroin's current legal state FYI.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Reckoning posted:

Substitute your least favorite Schedule I for heroin then.

I think marijuana should be legal but also discouraged, primarily by heavy taxes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aeka 2.0 posted:

God drat, may as well keep it illegal since this is a cheap way for my neck to not inflame and cause nerve issues. Or my lower back pain, or to just get high in my house because I want to get high. I disagree, sir.

Recreational, to be specific. Medical can be whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Panfilo posted:

So what's stopping people from just growing it themselves? Wouldn't that be a big workaround?

Most people won't go through the effort. Yes, even though it's nicknamed "weed".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why? Because you disapprove?

I don't see any moral obligation to promote it.

Panfilo posted:

Effort? Doesn't the sun do all the work?

You can make your own alcohol by leaving stuff in a barrel for a few weeks, but most people won't do that either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Panfilo posted:

Something tells me leaving weed plants in the sun too long won't eventually result in the same kind of nerve damage leaving stuff in a barrel for too long will.

For a simpler analogy then: It's really easy to make your own lunch. Yet people still spend lots of money to get it premade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Reckoning posted:

Which is why you should only be able to buy In-n-Out if you can afford the $10 trans fat tax.

Nah, it should be $20.