Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anyone have a good vector for an oldie (mid-30s) and a leftie to get into the Bay Area Punk scene? In the parlance of our times, the "anti-normies" and "LOL Tryhards" attitude has festered into what looks a lot like white nationalism. For obvious reasons I'm not interested in that so I need a reset. Any advice? East Bay preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've been doing a lot of historical research because it's fun.

I think I'm going to squat on the "Jerryis47again" and other related domains.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The racist dude from 12 Rounds brewery in Sad issued a final "sorry not sorry" apology while formally stepping down. A small but satisfying victory in the age of Trump.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm sure they'll have some hardcore crazy elements to them. As a protest candidate, it isn't our job to get too concerned about those. We need to threaten DiFi's position. At worst, that sets the stage for real opposition.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To paraphrase Ann Landers, "If you think California is expensive, try the Midwest."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Human beings for most of recorded history have lived in spaces smaller than modern studio apartments and they had their cows and goats in there with them too.

People bitching about space are dumb. You can make do with very little space. Where I used to live, there were families of 6, mostly adults, living in 1 bedroom apartments. It's not that hard to make it work, especially since the weather here is so ideal 90% of the time.

Don't buy into the propaganda that you need a suburban mcmansion to be happy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Given how rent control works, if you moved five times in six years you are bad at renting.

That might be part of your problem.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Sydin posted:

That's great I guess, but I don't particularly care what human beings have been doing for most of recorded history because it's not applicable to my personal preferences and tastes. I dislike apartment living and - in my opinion - would move out of state to find cheaper housing vs renting even a fairly large apartment in the Bay Area. If you disagree with that it's fine, but it's not "buying into propaganda" if I'd rather have a house. Cool your loving jets, yeesh. :rolleyes:

TBF, the fact that I wasn't born a patrician and have to actually work is against my taste. I agree with what you are saying.

But, so what?

Unless you are going full Nozic's response to Rawls and want people to be poor as gently caress.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
^ A good post.

There is a lot to love but people flock here for the same reason Dillinger robbed banks -- it's where the money is.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd rather be dead in California than in loving Washington.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As they should.

Five minutes of real time is worth an hour on the phone and . . . gently caress if I know how many e-mails. A million or more?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What California needs is fewer SFRs and more SROs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

icantfindaname posted:

So the Democratic establishment is basically 100% NIMBY? Is there meaningful opposition from the left at the state or local level, and if so do they differ in policy prescriptions at all?

In SF they keep running hit pieces on how YIMBYs or anyone even moderately pro-growth is the alt-right. So, yes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I just want to live close to my job in Anaheim or have some god drat good way to get there from the IE. I had to be home within an hour today and I spent nearly 20 dollars in express tolls vs the 7 or 8 dollars it would have taken me a few years ago. Just 3 years ago taking the main line on the 91 would be about 70 minutes without paying for the tolled express lanes. Today I can spend 20 dollars for the lanes (now that the lanes have been extended and the freeway widened) and it take an hour and 20 mins. This is because there is now a backed up line to get in the lanes (due to increased demand over the last 2 or so years) and there is an artificial choke point at the end of the toll section that affects the main lanes and express, the idea was that it would choke the main line, but it also had the affect of loving the express as well. Shits all hosed up. Express lanes are dumb.

The problem is IE.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FCKGW posted:

The problem is OC and LA being unaffordable.
I think you'll find the IE is quite good in fact.

Lol, git gud.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There are a lot of maladaptive coping strategies people develop in response to the material and psychosocial conditions of poverty. Pigovian taxes contribute to the moral good of society by discouraging these maladaptive behaviors.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nicotine is not trivial to grow and cure. I'm fine with a small scale boutique tabacco industry that would result from decriminalized tabacco.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cigarettes smell gross.

Cigars, pipes and shisha all smell great and are almost always consumed in moderation.

There are forms of tobacco that are fine for recreational use. It's just the cigarettes aren't it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So which is it, smokers are normal, reasonable people who we should treat with respect and allow them to quit on their own time (the version I personally would like to believe in), or smokers are selfish, arrogant junkies who will only resort to ever more dangerous methods of getting their fix at inappropriate times if we attempt to prevent them from destroying the world around them?

That's where ease of access comes in.

Cannabis is easy to cultivate compared to tobacco.

Nicotine is very addictive but if you can only buy cigars and they cost $100 a pop, you save them for special occasions. Like, when you are in your early 20s, you share one little cigar with some friends. In your late 20s, you share one with a date. Then you get married and whistfully talk about the good ol' days where you'd get together with some friends and smoke nicotine. You'd do it now, but it's just too damned expensive.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Marlboro's logo, if turned upside-down, is horrifically and intentionally antisemitic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Filters are mostly cellulose. It's not like it's some harsh plastic. You couldn't find a more natural sugar.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm not seeing it and Google is failing me. Can you spell it out for me?

https://gorgeouspersian.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/marlboro-subliminal-kkk-message/

Plenty of other ones. Snopes tries to understand rather than overstand the issue, so while they miss the point they recognize all of the elements. They just think they are a "coincidence" for no real reason.

Why would a company based in the Deep South with a legacy of slavery be racist? That's just crazy man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
666 Man, Monster is satanic.

That's obvious man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm pretty exhausted but wanted to check -- no elections in CA today, right? Life has been crazy but I'd hate to miss a chance to spoil a ballot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jaxyon posted:

There are, local ones.

ABC Unified School District (General)
Ceres Unified School District (General)
Compton Unified School District (General)
Downey Unified School District (General)
Modesto City Elementary School District (General)
Modesto City High School District (General)
San Bernardino City Unified School District (General)
San Mateo-Foster City Elementary School District (General)
Whittier Union High School District (General)
Fontana Unified School District (Special)
El Monte Union High School District (General)

https://ballotpedia.org/California_elections,_2017
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/upcoming-elections/county-administered-elections/

Thanks! The ballotpedia is good. I'm covered. But it's a good resource going forward. I've gotten very alienated from politics lately, need to get back into it. But if I stay busy, it's good to have a resource to check as opposed to just knowing these things.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was working on an app with a friend (tentatively named slpr) that would highlight good places for homeless people to sleep and marking dangerous areas. A modern update of the old hobo code, basically. Outreach was through local shelters (we have good connections there) and ad buys in Street Sheet (they are hilariously open to advertising). We'd make money by allowing companies to blacklist their area for a fee.

Everything was set up, we just needed an estimate for how much money it was going to take while we dealt with the legal battle. Extortion is an expensive charge to beat, so we're sitting on it for now until we can find a backer with more capital.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In a capitalist society, the best way to address an issue is to provide monetary incentive.

I'm all for the revolution but it doesn't seem to be coming. At least not immanently -- and I'd wager I've done more to advance its cause in my life than you have.

However, until the revolution, it would be foolish not to operate within the confines of the system we find ourselves in. Not as Fabians or Social Democrats trying to salvage a broken system. But to recognize its brokenness and use it in service of our aims.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Colin Mockery posted:

Since it sounds like ethics isn’t a concern, what if you changed the app so that customers could pay a fee to be notified (or, for an additional upsell, the police could automatically be called) any time a homeless person using the app came near a paid area? Wouldn’t that provide a better user experience than just charging them money to not send homeless people to their premises?

It seems like most companies would want their paying customers to like them and willingly pay for the service, is all.

Because the app is for the homeless. You've got to know who your app is for and who is paying for it.

If Facebook or Google actively made purchases for you, you wouldn't use them. Because that would be expensive and bad.

However, people who have money/influence/power wanting things and you finding a way to navigate that while providing a free service to the people most likely to use it -- that's capitalism.

Nobody cares about "good TV". However, advertisers love TV that people watch.

Your quote is a good example of why there are so many failed capitalists out there. I'm serious. "Fleecing" is an important concept because the sheep is still alive after you've got the wool.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes truly with this mindset we will right all the wrongs of capitalism and find ethical consumption

You are sooooo close to actually making a correct statement here.

But then you veer off at the last moment.

Try again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You seem to be misunderstanding the business model. It's an old one that has fallen out of favor largely due to legal concerns. But that is precisely what this app is trying to disrupt.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I forget. Is it "Can't cuck the Zuck" or "Better cuck Zuck"? I am way behind on my memes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When I lived in downtown Oakland, there was a dude who worked at PG&E who would regularly work the same happy hour circuit I would. He was a good poo poo and gave as good as he got. I'd give him poo poo for killing people. He'd tell me, "No, I work for the electric part. It's the GAS people who blew up a bunch of people."

I wonder how he responds to that kind of ribbing now that it's the electric people killing people. Hope he is well.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

actionjackson posted:

Does Buttar even have the tiniest chance of beating Pelosi?

No. But it's still a worthwhile fight.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Family Values posted:

I don't have any statistics to back it up but it feels like regionalism in general has grown massively everywhere over the last 20 years, and I put the starting point at the Bush-Gore election and red america vs. blue america. Any sort of regionalism before that was silly cultural stuff, but now the two sides view each other as almost traitors.

It's more a return to status quo. America (and other countries) unified in a big way in WWII. That unity was always a bit illusory and started to fracture with the end of the cold war. Bush/Gore accelerated it but it had been trending since '89.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One of the sweet things about living in California is regular access to good food.

It's a shame we are going to lose that because 2% of our state economy was mandated by capitalism to focus on exclusively catering to the Chinese demand for almonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Buffer posted:

I thought the film industry was here because it was too far away for Edison to be a dick with his patent consortium.

The sweetest fruits of all are those young twinks found in LA.