Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"California has so much demand (because it's pretty) that you'll probably never have to make bad loan decisions, because there's a wealthy person looking to buy for every home that goes on sale. "

Hahahahaha. Welcome to every real estate boom/bust ever. In fact, it turned out, come the crash, that "wealthy" people didn't actually want to live in Richmond or Alameda, they were just priced out of the places they wanted to live. In a boom market, things that are less desirable or undesirable rise in price just like the jewels. When the only way to get a jewel is to pre-bid with an all-cash order and no inspections *before* the house gets on the market, auction fever sets in on everything.

There's a simple way to cut the Gordian knot of "but old peoples". Kill Prop 13, freeze property taxes when the owner hits 65. Solves that owner's problems, makes the elderly less inclined to come out in force because I've got mine, and expands the tax base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Aardvark posted:

I wonder how long that six-way split would last if it ever passes.

Considering that it cuts off the Central Valley from all its water sources, I'm guessing not long.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

natetimm posted:

It isn't JUST grannies who benefit, it's the notion that you get to pass the property to your family at the same tax rate instead of having the state step in and rake you over the coals because a bunch of speculators ran up the market. The reason 70% of Californians like prop 13 is because it allows them to leave the legacy of affordable housing to their descendants instead of being confiscated for "betterment of all" and the benefit of the supposedly free market.

So, basically, taxes are bad. Got it. Things like bridges and schools and firemen should be a la carte, to be paid for individually when needed.

You have just switched from "Prop 13 is good because GRANNIES MIGHT SUFFER" to "Prop 13 is good because it moves houses out of the progressive tax system forever." Police protection for Granny's house has gone up in cost since she bought it. Road costs for Granny's house have gone up in cost since she bought it. You're saying that Granny's heirs shouldn't pay for those increases in cost (which were a hell of a lot more 2% per year since 1975) because what, exactly?

Taxes are not just abstract bad things that make people suffer. Taxes actually pay for shared benefits and services. Granny's house is worth more than it was in 1975 because, in part, of the continuing maintenance money paid on town and county services. If town service costs had been capped at a compounded 2% per year, Granny's home would be in a slum.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The official rebuttals to some of the state propositions were literally "I always write rebuttals for propositions because somebody needs to." That guy devoted half of one of his rebuttals (for the veteran's housing bill, I think) to carpool lanes meaning that California highways are inevitably doomed to become toll roads. :toot:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FMguru posted:

Even in rocket-fuel-powered Silicon Valley, you see a lot of empty storefronts and strip malls.

Empty strip malls are different from empty storefronts. Strip malls are notorious for being same-y (the cell phone store, the grocery store, the Starbucks, and so on) while storefronts are more likely to have violin repair stores, electric razor repair stores -- I think that one must be some kind of front, but it's right there in San Mateo -- German delis, and so on. On some parts of the Peninsula, admittedly not all, downtowns are booming. Check out Redwood City, San Mateo, San Carlos, and of course the Menlo Park/Palo Alto/Mountain View aristocracy. In the mid-Peninsula, where I live, older and thus affordable retail space doesn't stay empty long. Redwood City has managed to turn its downtown around in the ten years I've lived here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

It sounds like the Bay Area is trying to be Manhattan without the public transportation infrastructure and affordable surrounding suburbs.
Why, it's almost as if the San Francisco Peninsula has severely limited space, all of which is built up! Seriously, New York City proper has been building upward for the last century and a half. The San Francisco Peninsula from, say, San Mateo southward got congested only in the last 10-20 years. As a result, the housing stock (and the zoning laws) is mostly 1950s-1960s California ranches rather than Boston three-ups or townhouses or actual apartment buildings. You've got zoning laws that were written to encourage those California ranches, enforced by cranky neighbors who moved into towns full of California ranches and want them transformed into McMansions, not apartments. And of course people can live down South or across the Bay where there's more room, but at that point you have to have a transit system that connects sprawling single-use suburbs to sprawling office parks, which is waaaay less sustainable than one that connects dense housing to dense urban development.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Runaktla posted:

I would probably oppose new buildings if I was living in SF. Clutter/overpopulation blows. If that means population centers become more spread out then awesome.

Enjoy your life in Houston.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

Ironically Houston's problem is that you can't stop anyone from building anything and there are no geographical restrictions keeping the metro area from enveloping all of south Texas.

That would have been my point, yes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

redreader posted:

But why the gently caress are they even homeless? They need to be cared for!

Amen.

The specific issue in California boils down to this time sequence.
1. In the 1960s and 1970s there are multiple exposes as to exactly what hellholes "insane asylums" are, how little treatment goes on, and how much abuse. Research says that what mentally ill people need is small-group care, not large-scale asylums.
2. In 1967, in response to these abuses, California passes the Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act, which makes it very, VERY difficult to hospitalize mentally ill people against their will. Meant well, didn't work out well.
3. Lots of for-profit "board-and-care homes" open in the community to care for mentally-ill people. They provide generally bad care because for-profit. People who live near them deeply resent having mentally ill people wandering the streets for lack of occupation.
4. Everybody gets used to there being mentally ill people wandering around the streets; mentally ill people are solidified as "them" rather than "people like us who need help".
5. California cuts and cuts and cuts its state mental-health care budget, meaning that even when mentally ill people want treatment, they can't get it.
6. Homelessness is entrenched as a permanent "no, of course we can't do anything about that" problem.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/04/map-states-cut-treatment-for-mentally-ill for documentation of the mental-health cuts in California just from the period 2009-2012.

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ronald_reagans_shameful_legacy_violence_the_homeless_mental_illness/

e: Re weather, it's not so much that it rained (yea rain!) as that it rained a whole fuckton in a period of two days. When we get more rain in two days than we've seen in a two-day period since 2008, and when we've been in a drought for three (is it?) years, a whole bunch of infrastructure is severely tested. Why look, that sewer line that's been dry since 2012 just took on three times its capacity. Will it explode? Watch this space!

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 4, 2014

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Papercut posted:

People call San Francisco "SF" all the time.
Naah, everybody knows it's "The City".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rah! posted:

What the hell is this stupid "La Lengua" poo poo though? I've been living in SF my entire life, and always knew that area as part of the mission district or part of Bernal Heights, depending on who you asked...and then one day a few years ago, google maps started calling that area "La Lengua", and now a ton of people call it that. I blame hipsters and/or techies, of course. It's like Godwin's law for annoying things in a gentrifying city. I bet some google employee thought that renaming their part of the neighborhood to "the tongue" in Spanish, would be totally cool and unique and authentic, and seeing as 75% of SF residents aren't from here, people just accept it. And now a local merchants group is rolling with that new name, because it makes them stand out from the rest of the area, and might lead to more business. :negative:

:argh: Get off my lawn.

Pretty much.

Blame this dude.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I only buy free range eggs anyway. They cost like twice as much, but that's still like less than four bucks for twelve eggs that last me and my wife for at least a couple weeks.

There is no legal definition of any of the terms, and "free-range" can literally mean that there's one door in the barn, good luck getting to it. :( http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/confinement_farm/facts/guide_egg_labels.html

(I stick to "cage-free" or "free-range".)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Minarchist posted:

Kitties need clean boxes and our plumbing doesn't like clumping litter. Gross organic trash shouldn't need to be perma-sealed in some random Vons bag until AD 87000
Actually, putting kitty poop in the landfill or in the compost spreads toxoplasmosis! There are no good solutions. But if you do want your kitty poop bags biodegradable, you can buy bona fide biodegradable trash bags; they're what we use to line the kitchen compost bin. Marginally (very marginally) better in the long term than thin plastic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I agree on there being really wasteful agricultural uses of water, and I agree about the biggest impact being in the Central Valley. However, the drought is a state-wide issue, and it affects a lot of places that aren't downstream of the Central Valley. I'm in the Bay Area, and my water is coming down from the Sierras. Reforming agriculture in the Central Valley will do nothing to make water more available on the San Francisco peninsula; we have to conserve at the civilian and industrial level, because that's where our water is going.

I keep remembering the Berkeley slogans of the 1970s-1980s:

In this land of sun and fun/We don't flush for Number One.

Our house had low-flow toilets when we moved in. I'm contemplating installing those toilets that have two flush levels, one for pee and one for larger substances. I also want to think about some sort of grey-water system long-term. I am a passionate gardener, and I want to keep my roses alive with a clear conscience. They're already on a drip system.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, shoot me now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/us/california-imposes-first-ever-water-restrictions-to-deal-with-drought.html

New York Times posted:

Within hours of Mr. Brown’s announcement, Representative Kevin McCarthy, the California Republican who is the House majority leader, announced plans to renew efforts in Congress to pass legislation requiring the building of two huge water facilities in the state. The efforts had been blocked by Democrats concerned that the water projects would harm the environment and damage endangered species of fish.

“The current drought in California is devastating,” Mr. McCarthy said. “Today’s order from the governor should not only alarm Californians, but the entire nation should take notice that the most productive agriculture state in the country has entered uncharted territory.”

“I’m from the Central Valley, and we know that we cannot conserve or ration our way out of this drought,” he said.

I'm from one of the most prolific water-wasters in the state, and God knows we can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Total tangent, but no matter what else happens theres always that word "Feinstein" in any story about how CA is going to poo poo. Who the gently caress votes for that villainous troll anymore?
Gimme a contested Democratic primary, and I will vote against DiFi with both hands. DiFi is a covert Republican, but she votes for my issues more often than any of the Republicans I've seen running for that seat.

Parts of California are already running out of residential water, because they depend on depleted aquifers. It's a big ol' state, and almost anything is happening somewhere.

I'm seriously contemplating a very simple laundry-to-yard greywater system, because my lot runs straight downhill and I already have fruit trees in a direct line from the laundry machine. The major catch is whether I can trust the rest of the household to turn the diverter valve when they use plant-unhealthy laundry products.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm really bummed it was Boxer rather than Feinstein who retired.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

There are decent downtown pockets in most of the South Bay places, unlike most of the East Bay (except Oakland/Berkeley).

San Mateo/Burlingame = both good
San Carlos/RWC = probably ok now
Mtn View = okay
Sunnyvale = good enough
Santa Clara = meh
San Jose = very good now
Campbell = good enough
Los Gatos/Saratoga = good

Fremont/UnionCity/Hayward/SanLeandro/etc = poo poo

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Let me add a few to this:

Menlo Park: Okay, borderline "good enough" (Feldman's is one of my favorite bookstores in the Bay Area, and the Menlo library isn't bad either).

Palo Alto: Good enough, due to the proximity to Stanford and some decent cafes, despite being yuppie as gently caress. I also love the Stanford Theater to pieces.

I would also put Redwood City in solid "good" territory nowadays due to their surprisingly interesting county history museum, Haus Stadt, the presence of a smoking cafe* (Broadway Tobacconists), and kickass Mexican restaurants up and down Middlefield. All that's missing is a good bookstore, although their downtown public library isn't bad.

Edit: *Seriously, SFers are the biggest bunch of hand-wringing busybodies out there when it comes to tobacco. God forbid if I want to enjoy a cigar on a bar patio surrounded by weed smokers.

I live in the middle of the peninsula, and a lot of those towns have great downtowns depending on what you consider great. Palo Alto has degraded a lot in the ten years I've lived in the Bay Area: the small funky stores have been pushed out by high rents, and downtown is now mostly restaurants and chain stores. It is still fun to walk around in. Menlo Park has a great downtown for shopping, but it's definitely slanted toward 50something upper-middle-class people; the Sunday farmer's market is year-round and excellent. Redwood City has turned its downtown around and is now full of things to do; it has a much younger vibe than any of the other places around here, including a spectacular movie-theater complex in the downtown. It also has a thriving commercial district. San Carlos has a very pretty downtown and is very walkable/bikable; the downtown is very much slanted to upper-middle-class thirtysomethings with kids. The downtown has some fun 1920s and 1930s buildings. The restaurant scene is spectacular; there are too many expensive Italian places, but there's also Burmese, Moroccan, barbecue, izakawa Japanese, a couple of beer/wine pubs, and the usual conglomeration of Thai, Middle Eastern, and Chinese.

I've lived in the suburbs of a Southern state and a New England state, and the Bay Area suburbs are far, far more full of interesting things to see, do, and buy than are the post-50s heavily-zoned suburbs I've lived in elsewhere. Furthermore, if you pick your suburb and your location carefully, CalTrain, with all its faults, will get you up to the city and down to San Jose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I honestly don't understand why somebody who, after massive money investments, failed to win statewide office TWICE thinks she's remotely likely to primary into the Presidency.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Why should farmers in the MIdwest have to change how they do things just because California is full of retards trying to grow oranges in a desert?
Good luck growing those oranges in the Midwest, dude. There is more going on than "farming in a desert". There is "farming in good soil in a climate that permits year-round production". You are not going to be supplying year-round fruits and vegetables from a truck farm in (say) Indiana. There are excellent reasons to rethink what is grown in the Central Valley, and how. Take the Central Valley out of production entirely, and either (A) fly them in from Chile/Mexico or (B) enjoy your canned and frozen fruits and vegetables between October and May.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I love how some posters in this thread who don't understand agriculture very well think that farmers are mouth-breathing morons.

??? I grew up in a farm state, Indiana, I woke up to the fricking pork futures, and I have a pretty drat good idea what you can and can't grow in that part of the Midwest.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just got my mandatory reduction notice. It goes by street addresses: odd addresses (and none) may water Monday and Thursday; evens water Tuesday and Friday. I'm going to have to reprogram my sprinkler system to deep-water on Thursday to compensate for the three-day weekend. Before I got the notice I'd set the sprinkler to a three-day rotation so that the day watered rotated, but the spacing was consistent and still less than three times a week.

The mailing also told me that I could find my particular household's water quota using a website that requires my account number. I wish they'd provided a different access mode.

e: For the record, the lawn is already dead, and most of the remaining garden is on drips.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From the LA Times story:

quote:

Despite the 1977 precedent [in which some senior rights holders got no water], it is likely that Friday’s order will spark appeals to the board as well as legal challenges.

“People are so dug into their rights that regardless of what we do it’s likely they will ask for a rehearing,” Delta Watermaster Michael George said last month. “There’s going to be lots of litigation coming out of this.”

Assembly Republican Leader Kristin Olsen of Modesto condemned the board action.
“Today’s water grab by the state board is disappointing, but not surprising,” she said in a statement. “It is one they have been eager to do for a long time, and our current drought crisis gives them the cover they’ve been looking for to follow through.”
Yes, God forbid they take advantage of a drought to put in water-reduction regulations. Those opportunistic bastards.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sydin posted:

gently caress fines, people like that aren't intimidated by fines, no matter how high they get. I'm sure every one of those assholes in the quoted article would happily pay thousands of dollars of fines a month to continue guzzling water, all the while getting the bonus of being able to bitch about how unfair the world is to rich people. If you really want these people to conserve then give them an allotment and, when they pass it, shut their loving water off.

Flow restrictors, which physically reduce the available water to a pre-calculated allocation for the number of residents, are stage 2 of the plan, and have been announced. After you get a flow restrictor, you probably can't run a tap and the washing machine at the same time, far less irrigate anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Where has announced whole-house flow restrictors? Places have announced flow restrictor requirements for faucet or showers, but I haven't seen whole-home announcements yet and a quick googling turned up nothing.

I've seen it in multiple news articles: here's one. https://thecoastnews.com/blog/2015/06/rancho-santa-fe-faces-harsher-water-cutbacks/ For more, go to Google News and search "flow restrictors".

quote:

Jessica Parks, management analyst and public information officer of the Santa Fe Irrigation District, they imposed mandatory allocations with severe cost penalties for exceeding those allocations.

Irrigation days have dropped from three to two days. Parks wants everyone to know that the District will be increasing its enforcement by adding staff in the field to help customers comply with the mandatory water use restrictions.
“Beginning July 1, 2015, water allocations for all customers will be imposed with severe cost penalties for exceeding the allocation. The penalties could result in quadrupling of water charges for those that don’t comply, and for flagrant violators, the District can impose flow restrictors and shutting off water service,” she said. “The water allocations will be based on each customer’s 2013 water usage. Each residence will receive a base allotment for the billing period, but all usage above the allotment must be cut back by 45 percent.”

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh ok, that applies to flagrant violators, I was thinking more along the lines of something that would be mandated for entire water districts.
Flow restrictors are sledgehammers; applying them district-wide penalizes people who conserve as harshly as people who violate regulations. If you're 25% under (or whatever the district's rule is) your previous usage and you aren't conspicuously wasting water (e.g. washing your car with a hose), you're doing what the Governor asked for.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

One thing I've noticed about the throw-money-at-the-problem people is that they're never quoted saying "Look, I put in a greywater system and efficient sprinklers, what do you want?" or anything like that. A mansion's greywater system wouldn't irrigate a mansion's grounds, but it would help. These people aren't investing in reducing their water use while maintaining their lawns; they're just demanding that their water use go unchanged, and investing in that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

The most amazing quote:
Those houses would have "at least four" is some kind of given because :confused:
I will eat my hat if Rancho Santa Fe doesn't have massive zoning requirements to prevent the poors from moving in. She could no more put a housing development on her property than she could a petroleum refinery.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm going to defend this one. Solar panels reduce the overall amount of energy generation, and reducing bills by the amount that the solar panels are putting into the system makes sense. However, generation costs are not the only costs of running the electrical system you depend on, the one you're putting energy into even if you aren't drawing it back. The ongoing costs of maintaining a state-wide electrical network (which affect everybody who hasn't completely gone off-grid), include maintaining the lines, maintaining the grid at an even and stable state so that it doesn't wreck the other grid it hooks into, and providing the correct amount of power at all places and at both day and night. Sorry to avoid using the correct terms; I have a headache and can't remember them.

tl;dr: You are consuming the resources of the grid even if your monthly bill is zero. It's a shared cost, like the cost of having police and the cost of having state parks. Whether $10 a month is a fair apportioning of those costs -- given that it's PG&E, it's certainly not -- is a different matter.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

withak posted:

If the cost of keeping everyone hooked up to the grid is somehow being split out from the cost of producing the electricity then everyone's rates should go down, even if their total power bill doesn't.

That's an excellent point.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

So, do you think CPUC is entirely captured by the utilities or what?

This is a matter of record; there are mails to prove it. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jan/10/regulators-hobnobbing-with-utilities-questioned/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

So 1 member who's term ended in December? Not that bad to be honest and still far from regulatory capture.

I take it you missed this sentence? "After those emails were disclosed, PG&E fired three executives. " This is by no means the only case in the last year, it's just the one I can find quickest. There is also evidence about other officials right after the San Bruno explosion.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_27436909/san-bruno-disaster-pg-e-wields-pervasive-influence

On at least one occasion, the emails show, PG&E executives tipped off PUC officials about an important regulatory filing that the public company was planning to make with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The filing was about the company's general rate case proposal for raising monthly gas and electric bills for residential and business customers.

"Timothy -- FYI. I will be sending you our (SEC filing) in advance of our formal filing," Cherry said in a November 2012 email to Timothy Simon, a PUC commissioner at that time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I have a vague hope that you won't get my rear filled with holes by some angry Vietnamese rice farmed armed with the finest in soviet surplus in Grey hunter's lets play. :australia:

Any of you California goons got a book on how the tech industry is horrible? I've been nursing a vague curiosity about that lately.

"The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison" is very good, if a bit dated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks to the ridiculously broad definition of "baby boomers", there are mere youths of 51 who qualify as such. That whole tail-end-of-a-generation thing means that people who were barely teenagers when the whole 60s thing ended are still being lumped together with the hippies and the Goldwater voters and whatnot. As somebody once said, "I didn't go to San Francisco for the Summer of Love because I wasn't allowed to cross the street yet."

Meanwhile, I am not happy to learn that assholes with drones are keeping firefighters from being able to fly helicopters into the North Fire, the one that crosses I-15. I have no idea how anybody's going to be able to regulate private drones, but they're a menace in many other ways, notably invasions of privacy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

I've heard it argued that they only become a fire hazard if thinned enough to not retain moisture. I think the phrase 'native plants' sounds good on paper, but most native plants out here have basically evolved to burn up. I'm not sure re-introducing them would be a safer solution. Cities, humans, etc..are all non-native too, if there is a better option than eucalyptis I'm all for it though. It feels like the conversation never gets this far though, because people are talking about free-radicals and mind altering DNA or like, return-to-nature fantasies.
The thing is, it's not just the trees themselves. Eucalyptus trees drop a lot of litter in any heavy wind, including not only leaves but large branches. That litter is a great spot for a fire to grow, and in a forest it's not going to be cleared regularly. I agree that some sort of slow transition from eucalyptuses to native trees (if possible) would be a much better solution than clear-cutting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Noggin Monkey posted:

While the coastal sage scrub natives are often fuel because of the oils that protect them from drought, there are lots of natives that don't have those properties. Tree of Life Nursery is a great resource for people interested in native plants, although their focus is much more oriented to SoCal.

Up in the Bay Area, Yerba Buena Nursery is a great resource for native plants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I think this is just an absurd viewpoint, but this isn't a thread for that debate. Cheers!
It is Californians like you who are turning the Bay Area -- and others -- into an enclave where working-class people can't afford to live. Cheers!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm still trying to figure out why Carly Fiorina thinks losing two statewide elections qualifies her to be President.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This reminds me of my Texan grandmother, who complained that Mexicans were filling up her city. The Southern Baptist church she attended had the demographic choice of welcoming Mexicans or withering on the vine. Guess which they chose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

California reduced water usage by 27% in June. Woot.

quote:

LOS ANGELES — Water use in California dropped by more than 27 percent in June, surpassing the 25 percent statewide cutback ordered by Gov. Jerry Brown in what officials called an encouraging development as this state struggles through one of its worst droughts in history.

The figures — compared with June 2013 — came in the first month in which mandatory statewide reductions on urban water use went into force. State officials pointed out that the report tracked a four-week period of record-high temperatures. Hot temperatures typically produce spikes in water use as people use more for landscaping and, to a lesser extent, showers.

“California water servers and users have stepped up big time,” said Felicia Marcus, the chairwoman of the State Water Resources Control Board, as she announced the finding. “That is especially significant because June was really hot. The June numbers tell a story of conscious conservation.”

Over all, 265 water agencies, supplying 27.2 million people, met or exceeded the cuts imposed on them by the state. Some 140 missed the target, though often by less than 10 percentage points.