Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Will this state become ungovernable again if the Democrats lose their supermajority?

Also, for comedy value, a few weeks ago at UCI the YAL had a booth saying "For real change, you need R:evil:olution!" and there was a booth selling shirts for the Donnelly for Governor campaign saying "got liberty?" :laffo:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Yes. They potentially already lost it as well. gently caress you Leeland Yee!

:shepicide:

Sucks being in a district that's unlikely to flip from GOP to Dem in the first place (Irvine area).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So in ad-chat, I saw one this morning from Neel Kashkari where he starts cutting wood, and each log he cuts is titled "Taxes", "Welfare to jobs", "Crazy cross-state train". Take a wild guess which party he's from (and what his chances are this fall).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Oh, dear, now conservative Texan shitlords are smugging it up about Sriracha and the CEO calling California "communist and anti-business"...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Bizarro Watt posted:

You should have seen them when Toyota recently decided to move their sales headquarters from Torrance to Plano.

Yeah, that was still probably worse (though the jury's still out on how crazy Sriracha's CEO can get).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

For what it's worth, I remember seeing an argument on Facebook where some rear end in a top hat from Plano going to Dartmouth was smugging it up and saying "wow you guys in California are so #overtaxed" and then when someone said "it's worth it though" he was like "You're right, I forgot how wisely the CA government spends its money :smuggo:"

He promptly shut the gently caress up when someone brought up that California now has a budget surplus.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

A ton of those lower and middle class people are only still able to stick around due to rent control. Good luck if you're middle or working class and trying to move in at the moment. I recall a news article stating that it's now literally impossible to afford a house on a public school teacher's salary right now anywhere in the city limits.

And someone else made a good point about anti-East Coast snobbery. My mother insists that all of Oakland is a dangerous hellhole to this day and freaks out when I talk about moving there.

To be fair, "ghetto jokes" about Oakland and Richmond aren't exactly uncommon here in (largely wealthy) Fremont either.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 16, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

When you have one candidate trying to make a saaaaaaad pitch to millenials with a "got liberty?" slogan and another making a lumberjack commercial where he cuts logs representing taxes and "budget waste" and welfare and whatnot, it's hard for them to look even worse than they already do.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Spoondick posted:

I recently had the "pleasure" of driving through the Central Valley from Chico to Hemet and back. With the primaries coming up, I got to see a lot of political advertising and sloganeering and noticed a few similarities and differences between the North and South ends of the state. Rural politicians in Northern and Southern California all seem to like putting loving cowboy hats on their signs, as if to say to voters "I'm a white-bread redneck just like you who shares your (racist) values." In Southern California, water was definitely a much bigger issue than in the north. I saw several advertisements stating "Solve The Water Crisis!" implying that there was a political solution to getting more water for crops growing in the desert during an extreme drought. One sign did offer a solution: Tell Los Angeles and San Diego to cut their consumption! Clearly, that's going to make a big difference despite the fact that 85% of California's water already goes to agriculture. I'm flying next time.

Last time I had the (mis)pleasure of driving up I-5, I saw signs shilling "Farmers protecting the valley" and lumping in LA and San Diego along with them for "solidarity" purposes.

I've already mentioned Kashkari's lumberjack ad, so I won't go into it again.

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorites are the ones that have been up forever, including the classic "CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL".

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

Man holy crap, has it really already been four to five years since those went up?

Hell, I still recall the "JOBS JOBS JOBS VOTE FIORINA 2010" sign that was somewhere in Stanislaus County on I-5 in mid-2011.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 19, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FWIW there were quite a few condos going up in Irvington, but then Irvington didn't get the BART station.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I got approached by two signature gatherers for that harebrained scheme to split California up into six states, and they just weakly said "I know this is probably never going to happen in my lifetime...but it would be nice if it did..." after I told them I couldn't support the prop in good faith. Maybe I'd have had more respect for them if they'd been more honest and said "we want to give the GOP a free six to eight new senate seats".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

It depresses the gently caress out of me to know that someone like Mimi Walters is going to represent my uni after this November's elections :smithicide:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

etalian posted:

It's the California version of colorado springs.

Isn't Orange County pretty much the granddaddy of places like Colorado Springs or Placer County?

Kaal posted:

It's true, but mostly because no one lives there. Romney took Obama by nearly two to one in Shasta County, but that was still only a margin of 20,000 votes. The entire county has only 150,000 people.

Redding is a shithole, and Jesus loving Christ does it get hot during the summer there.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 30, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Speaking of Berkeley, didn't they lift rent controls recently?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Telesphorus posted:

"Patriot", "common sense", freedom", "Constitution", "hard-working"....

Tim Donnelly wins the prize for most cliche, red flag buzzwords this election.

"got liberty?" :911:

e: just voted in the primary and by god is it depressing that I had almost no choice but the Republican for State Assembly and Congress

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Sacramento would have been much closer to the Mother Lode and everything.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

To think that we could have had a BART station on Mission Boulevard here in Fremont, which is today probably the most car-centric, pedestrian-unfriendly part of the whole city :sigh:

e: seeing a BART line going up the 680 corridor down Danville/Alamo and San Ramon would also be quite the sight.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 21, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So I just changed my voting address to my parents' home just to vote against this rear end in a top hat:

http://www.kuoforsenate.com/

Apparently rear end in a top hat rich kids from my high school are calling SCA5 "Skin Color Act 5". He still won't have a shot in hell, given that he only got 26% of the vote in the first round and the guy who beat him (Democratic State Assemblyman Wieckowski) got 37% or so, but wow. Also, I can vote for Honda instead of pissing away my ballot in Orange County.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Wow, does he literally think the world revolves around him and that anything that might sorta kinda maybe force him to consider other people is literally fascism?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I wouldn't put Elon Musk in the same category as the makers of the "Yo" app. The man is doing a ton of good stuff for society and he doesn't seem to care about his own wealth.

I saw this linked by a friend, although it lacks credibility given the site's affiliation with the likes of Townhall.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if Rand Paul could make some inroads in Silicon Valley considering there are plenty of shithead engineers there who think that his dad was a good guy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

On another note, would it be off the mark to say that a lot of people in the not-gonna-be-state of Jefferson who want to secede have been inundated with rhetoric saying that the Bay Area and L.A. mooch off of their Real American™ tax dollars?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm going to be real pissed when I can't get to camping spots in the Sierra because the roads fall apart.

Well, if I-5 goes to poo poo because the federal government can't send enough tax dollars from Silicon Valley and New York and poo poo their way, we can always take 101 down south to LA and hope that they manage to keep their freeways in good enough condition...

Still, it'd be interesting to see just how much ag subsidies not-Central California gets every year.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The thing that scares me the most about the prospect of Zuckerberg becoming a tech libertarian/Republican donor (or at the very least so far, his palling around with Rand Paul and Chris Christie) is his age. We can give it a decade or two before the Kochs and Adelson croak; Zuckerberg is only 30.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 17, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I remember vacationing in Redding once when I was 11 (why, oh why). It was a loving dump, and probably the most populous of the heavily Republican counties up in the far north of the state.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I think I've already went over one of Kashkari's laughable campaign ads from a few months ago, before the June primary, where he was trying to brand himself as a common man who "really understands The People™, I swear!" by being a lumberjack cutting logs labeled "taxes" and "regulations" and "welfare". Isn't the dude worth something to the tune of $5 million, anyway?

It's good to see that he manages to come across as completely out of touch even when he's trying to empathize with the filthy plebes. It's like that Republican running for State Senate in my district who tries running with a slogan of "Common Sense Solutions for California" while fearmongering about SCA5 and "quotas for Asian enrollment at UCs please ignore that those haven't been around ever since they were declared unconstitutional in the 70s" among the district's majority Asian population.

edit: Most recent poll shows Brown ahead 57-33 :kheldragar:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So apparently there's a governor's debate going on right now? Doubt it will really impact November's outcome, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I guess this would be a good place to ask, but how do I get an early/absentee mail-in ballot? I'd prefer to get my vote in before I go back to school at the end of the month.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Eat poo poo, Tim Draper :dance:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No, why not have the library staffed by the Taliban?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jesus, there are so many Khanna signs around.

I have no idea what the polling for the race actually looks like, but it's a good thing signs don't vote. He's basically your typical neoliberal corporate Dem, isn't he?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Kashkari: cutting taxes, regulations, spending, welfare and now smashing trains! (p.s. please vote for meeee :qq: )

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

What's in Alpine and Mono counties that would mean they're in the top 20 "donor counties"? The ski resorts?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Holy poo poo I barely have been following this since the primary since the republicans essentially ceded to Brown before it even happened. I didn't think Kashkari actually won. The dude looks legit crazy and I thought he was just some weirdo no one really paid attention to.

This is like, a month and a half after the last dumb stunt Kashkari tried pulling (being homeless in Fresno). I don't think anything, save for divine intervention, will make him not lose 40-60 in the general election.

I think the thread's consensus was that Donnelly (state senator from Riverside County) was the really batshit one, though. In the primary, Brown swept nearly the entire state for first past the post with 54% of the vote; Donnelly won one of those two counties in the northeastern corner (Modoc or Lassen).

edit: also :laffo: pretty much no way this Republican is going to win the general election in the state senate district I live in, so much for him and his "common sense solutions for California" and racist fearmongering

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 25, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ntan1 posted:

Khanna is split even among the Indian people because he seems like a giant douchebag (hint, he is). Compare this to Honda, who has had a perfect voting record on pretty much all pieces of rights-related legislation, and who grew up in a loving internment camp. I'd be pretty unhappy if Honda lost, and this is coming from somebody who grew up in Santa Clara.

I was at the Newark Days parade last Sunday, and Khanna himself showed up in it.

His crew was saying "Fired up and ready for Ro", but they sounded so loving bored. His spokesperson tried making hay out of his showing up to the parade while Honda didn't, but still got a rather cool/apathetic reception.

Also at the same parade, while Wieckowski (the Democrat who advanced to the state senate race) and Kansen Chu (one of the Democrats who advanced for State Assembly) showed up to the parade, Peter Kuo didn't. I guess that's saying something; for a guy who bases his campaign around fearmongering to rich rear end in a top hat Chinese people about how SCA5 would have meant "quotas will be imposed on Asians at the UC and your precious snowflake's space at UCLA and Cal will go to some undeserving illiterate Latino or black untermensch instead!", he wouldn't show his face to hawk that message at a city as heavily Latino and mainly middle and working-class as Newark.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Hog Obituary posted:

I haven't been following the district 17 race, but I was surprised to see the SF chronicle endorse Ro Khanna. Is that a big deal?

Well for what it's worth they also endorsed Fiorina four years ago

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The whole swath of the valley from San Joaquin County all the way down to Fresno County went pretty overwhelmingly for Bush in 2004 before swinging increasingly to Obama in 2008 and 2012. Then again Obama's done much better in the cities there than Kerry did.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Khanna is such a clown, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a high ranking College Republican.

Eagerly waiting for his reverse social welfare bakesale day.

I can't wait for my mail-in ballot to arrive so I can vote against him.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum was the one who first posted this, but oh Kashkari, you out of touch wannabe-populist, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

WELCOME TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
NO WATER DELIVERY ZONE

STANDING UP FOR THE VALLEY AND LOS ANGELES AND SAN DIEGO*

*ahahahahaha like hell those regressive right-wing landowners care about those feral urbans in LA and maybe San Diego