Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Already sent in my mail-in ballot atop the pile of Fremont Democratic ballots that will bury Kashkari, almost certainly bury Peter Kuo, and hopefully keep Honda in over Khanna. :pray:

v Yeah, I also pulled the lever for Tom Torlakson.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well Khanna's backers have nothing if not money. Besides the waste on signs (signs don't vote) today marks the third day in a row I've received a mailer from the SuperPAC backing him (I assume) Californians for Innovation.

I especially like that the PAC has an address in LA, not the Bay Area.

I remember a month ago, during the Newark Days parade, Khanna showed up leading a band of his supporters who were chanting "Fired up and ready for Ro!" in the most bored, insipid tone imaginable. And then eventually one of them walked up to me and said "Did you see that? That's Ro Khanna, the only one of the candidates to bother showing up! Out with the old and in with the new, vote for Khanna cause he's in it for you!"

Unfortunately for him, he got a pretty cool reception amongst the crowd. Speaking of the whole "signs don't vote" thing a handful of Kuo signs went up around southern Fremont and parts of Milpitas from what I saw, before I left for Irvine. Now down here, there's literally a gazillion signs on every street :shepface:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I don't know how much "job security" a software engineer would have if they can be replaced by a fresh Indian immigrant who doesn't know his rights.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Tuck's another one of those wankers besides Khanna who brags about how he's "endorsed by all the major newspapers [statewide]". Earlier I heard like three Tuck ads compared to one Torlakson ad on the radio, to and from campus via bus.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Tuck/Torlakson has been forecasted to be one of the nail-biter races. Field in September showed it close, but with many undecided and Tuck leading.

God loving dammit.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 4, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Seriously though where have Torlakson's ads been? It was literally only yesterday afternoon and early this morning when I've heard ads from him against Tuck, whereas Tuck's been inundiating the airwaves for weeks by now.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Then again my school is in Orange County, so Tuck probably figures he can get great ROI putting up a ton of ads here (for reference I'm also getting a fair few Kashkari ads)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

This wasn't in much doubt, but thank god my state senate district stayed Democratic. I'm relieved running a campaign which basically amounts to "We must secure the education of our people and a Cal for Chinese Children" didn't work here.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'd heard nothing but bad things about Dellums' tenure as mayor before Quan.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

On another note, I have family friends telling me about how absolutely hosed their housing situations became at Cal after Berkeley lifted the rent cap.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

withak posted:

Yeah but the current expansion just reaches a little farther south of Fremont. The vast majority of the people using those new stations are going to be commuting towards SF. I doubt that Warm Springs or Irvington will see heavy inbound commuter traffic.

I don't think Irvington got the station, though? I remember a bunch of new apartment buildings/condos going up around where it was projected to be built, but they decided to just build the Warm Springs one instead.

Speaking of which the Warm Springs station is currently pretty much "middle of nowhere", the nearest strip mall is like a mile-long walk away, WalMart in another direction, and then a bunch of mostly empty industrial parks in the vicinity.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

No, the solution is for the UC to stop loving us in the rear end during contract time and for our union to not fold like a cheap loving lawnchair when probed even slightly.

Not that I'm mad about how the last contract negotiations ended, when we could have called a strike during finals and crippled the admins, noooooooooooooo sir.

I remember the Grad Students Union at UCI striking last spring quarter during Week 2. There were like two dozen people tops near Langson and nobody paid any attention. It was kind of depressing to watch, to be honest :smith:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

redreader posted:

Gunn high (say my colleagues) is full of kids who are pushed extremely hard to achieve. All of their parents get super mad if they don't get a+++ in all of their classes. The academic competition 'forces' them to commit suicide.

My old high school had a case like this literally a year ago. I remember the vast majority of my classmates were horrified by it, but I still saw some fuckers on my feed saying "heh, guess she was too much of a pussy to handle the pressure :smuggo:"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Los Gatos has apartments?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Speaking of which I was at the University Town Center in Irvine yesterday looking for a place to live next year. I balked when they said every room was at least 2k/month, even the studios.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

It's probably worse for me since I don't have a car, so I'm basically stuck to the ACC apartment complexes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

The routes in my hometown are all "every 45 minutes" which is pretty infrequent compared to what I got in Berlin. At least with somewhere like downtown Berkeley there are so many bus routes it's easy to just take one and get somewhere.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

UCI student checking in: holy gently caress so many people were clad in scarves and heavy jackets today.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

All of these people are colossal morons because it's not even in the 40s yet. Jesus christ. Put on a rain jacket and use an umbrella.

I was doing that and wearing a t-shirt shorts. Seriously though at this rate I probably won't see anything in the 40s until I go back north for winter break.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

When I was growing up "SF" and "San Fran" were acceptable, but I never heard "Frisco".

I've never met anyone from Orange County who likes the name OC, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

NorCal turns against whichever party starts the War on Hella.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Crossposting from the 2016 senate thread but Boxer's retiring

quote:

A parade of ambitious California public figures, who’ve spent years itching for a shot at the state’s top political offices, are anticipating a shake-up of the state’s political hierarchy that could begin in a matter of weeks with the possible retirement of Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer. And some big names — including the mayor of Los Angeles — are already sizing up possible bids to succeed her.

Sources close to Boxer, 74, say the outspoken liberal senator will decide over the holidays whether to seek reelection in 2016 and will announce her plans shortly after the new year. Few of her friends believe she will run for a fifth term. Boxer has stopped raising money and is not taking steps to assemble a campaign. With Republicans taking over the Senate, she is about to relinquish her chairmanship of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

If she were to step aside, it would be the first big crack in the state’s upper political ranks in years. The last time the governorship was open was in 2010, when Jerry Brown, now 76, romped in a return to the job he first held more than three decades earlier. Boxer and California’s other senator, Democrat Dianne Feinstein, 81, were elected in 1992.

For a backlog of up-and-coming pols, their opportunity may finally be arriving — and it will be very hard to to pass up.

“There has been a bottleneck at the top,” said Mitchell Schwartz, a Democratic strategist who was Barack Obama’s California campaign director in 2008. “In a state of 37 million-plus [population] … elected officials either need to move up or they are out of the game and forgotten quickly.”

Democrat Eric Garcetti, the 43-year-old Los Angeles mayor, has had preliminary conversations about a possible campaign with Bill Carrick, a veteran political strategist in the state, according to one source. Carrick, who has served as Feinstein’s political adviser and helped guide Garcetti’s 2013 mayoral campaign, didn’t respond to a request for comment. A Garcetti spokesman, Jeff Millman, declined to address the discussions, saying only that the mayor “hopes and expects Senator Boxer will continue her strong leadership in the Senate.”

Others are being encouraged by supporters. At a New York City dinner last week sponsored by the League of Conservation Voters, liberal activists pressed Tom Steyer, the billionaire hedge-fund manager and environmentalist from San Francisco, to consider a bid. Steyer, who poured over $70 million into this year’s midterm election, gave a coy nonanswer in response, according to one person familiar with the exchange.

Most of the attention, though, is expected to center on a pair of rising stars: state Attorney General Kamala Harris, 50, and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, 47, both Democrats. For years, politicos have buzzed about a potential showdown between the two. Both hail from Northern California and rose through the ranks at the same time. They even share the same campaign consultant: Averell “Ace” Smith, a longtime Hillary Clinton adviser and top political hand in the state. In November, Harris and Newsom were easily reelected.

But as anticipation of a Boxer retirement has grown, the two have gone out of their way in recent months to tamp down talk of a rivalry. In September, they held their first-ever joint fundraiser at a San Francisco restaurant, where they lavished praise on each other.

Many Democrats believe that either Harris or Newsom might run for Boxer’s seat, but not both, recognizing that a bitter primary could leave them damaged. One of them is likely to wait until 2018, when Brown will be termed out of office and Feinstein might step aside. Newsom, who waged a short-lived primary campaign for governor against Brown in 2009, has been open about wanting to run again for the top job.

“They aren’t going to tear each other up,” said Joe Cotchett, a prominent Northern California trial attorney who counts Harris and Newsom as friends.“I don’t know anyone that thinks they’re going to run against each other. … They’ll work something out.”

Boxer’s office declined to comment on the jockeying for her seat, or, for that matter, on her future plans. A spokesman, Zachary Coile, pointed to Boxer’s previous statements that she would announce her plans early next year. Boxer’s lack of fundraising — she has just $150,000 in her campaign account, a fraction of the $3.5 million she had at this point before her most recent campaign — has fueled the speculation that she will leave the Senate.

What is a near-certainty is that Democrats will keep the seat. Republicans have been shut out of every statewide office and lack a bench of strong candidates. In 2010, Republican Carly Fiorina, the former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, lost to Boxer by 10 percentage points. The same year, former eBay CEO Meg Whitman spent $144 million as the Republican nominee for governor and lost to Brown by 13 points.

With their quasi-celebrity status, statewide name ID and deep fundraising connections, either Harris or Newsom would enter the race as the front-runner, handicappers say. But with a prize as rare as a California Senate seat in play, it’s assured that a long line of other Democrats in the liberal-friendly state would be in the running, too.

Since Harris and Newsom are both from the Bay Area, it could create an opening for someone from the much more population-rich southern part of the state. Former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is often mentioned as a potential candidate, as is his successor, Garcetti.

Other possible candidates include Rep. Jackie Speier, incoming California Secretary of State Alex Padilla and John Chiang, the outgoing state controller.

Some in the state are even buzzing about the possibility that Sheryl Sandberg, the Facebook chief executive and women’s advocate, might also jump in. A source close to her, however, said she “isn’t interested.”

As for Steyer, the wealthy environmentalist’s political consultant, Chris Lehane, wouldn’t say one way or the other.

“Tom has consistently said that he will consider the best ways to have the biggest impact,” Lehane wrote in an email.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/california-quake-113380.html#ixzz3LKvQ6gJf

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CopperHound posted:

In my experience, signature gatherers seem to have 2 or 3 initiatives. At least one will sound good on the surface and another will be a regressive bill with big business backing. I had one of these guys get pretty irate with me when I signed one initiative, but refused to sign the union busting one a couple years ago.

I remember two of these guys going to me for the Six Californias initiative, and when I told the second one I'd throw myself off a cliff before I sighed his petition, he tried guilt-tripping me by saying "I get paid based on how much signatures I get...I'd like this to happen, but I know it probably won't make it to the ballot anyway..."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

etalian posted:

It's funded by Tim Draper which is pretty much a perfect head in the clouds loathsome techie.

Even my Stanford techie acquaintances think Draper is a moron for his Six California malarkey. Which says something since they were crying rivers for Satoshi Nakamoto, the bit coin dude.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Huh, then who'll be running for governor in 2018?

I'd like Goodwin Liu to run for either, but then again I still have that pipe dream of him getting on the SCOTUS.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Who else is excited for another year of extreme drought? Sierra snowpack is barely a quarter of normal. The only bright spot is that some of the reservoirs in the state are siting pretty high. Pyramid Lake in particular is sitting high (because it's not really used for residential consumption, but it'll do in a pinch).

In other California news, there was a post-mortem on the 2014 gubernatorial race at Berkeley this week with staffers from both campaigns. They haven't posted videos yet, but both the LA Times and the Sacramento Bee have mentioned how candid the staffers were, including talking about Kashkari's spending habits:

Hahahaha, I still remember when he did that homeless stunt in Fresno for a week during the summer before going back to his million-dollar home.

On the other hand, I was hopeful when the bay area got pounded by that freak storm two months ago. Guess we're not getting another one for a good while, looking at the forecast :smithicide:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

etalian posted:

I was hoping the Santa Clara 49ers would relocate to LA.

What would they rename themselves then, the Los Angeles Superstars?

...that actually doesn't sound too bad.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

My vote for least favorite intersection is to 101s. The exit from 880 has traffic from 101N merging in before the exiting traffic can leave, then it dumps you onto a lane on 101 that is exit only to 880N. The next lane over is also exit only to Oakland Road, so if you actually have to go south on 101, you're forced to merge through two lanes of traffic merging the other way.

There are some beautiful roads though if you want to sightsee. One of my favorites is 25 that goes south from hollister. About this time of year, it's all beautiful green rolling hills dotted with wildflowers and seas of mustard.

The road through Niles Canyon is pretty nice (from Niles/Mission Blvd in Fremont to 680), but holy hell is it a clusterfuck during rush hour since a lot of people think they can take this winding wilderness road to dodge 680's traffic.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Once you realize that Chik-fil-a is building all their new stores right next to In-n-Out burger you will never not notice that they're always right next to each other.

That explains the one which displaced the old Lee's across the bridge from my school.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Which used to be a Denny's before that. How the hell does a 24hour Denny's across from a university go out of business?

In fact, how does a lee's go out of business in Irvine?

I have no clue why they suddenly vanished, they always seemed to have pretty decent business. Then again they're competing for a lot of Le Dip's customers.

I sure miss those French cream horns and chicken pate buns, I'd take that over Chik-Fil-A any day of the week :(

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

etalian posted:

LA wins again, since they carefully quarantined rich horrible republicans in Orange county.

San Marino and the Palo Verde Peninsula still are pretty filthy rich and right-wing. Glendora too I guess.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Nah PV is hippy liberal as hell

Also not a ton of folks live there

Stadiumchat: The Rams are going to be the ones that move. Calling it.

?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah I go to UCI and a lot of the white folks in this county are diehard partisan relics from when California was a red state, but PV still seems like a rich GOP enclave within LA county.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Yall need to learn that Orange County is more than just the costal cities, there are plenty of liberal and working class cities in the county as well.

Yeah it's actually pretty diverse; Irvine seems pretty liberal on and naer campus, but not so much when you move away from campus. There are plenty of minorities that swung hard from Bush in 2004 to Obama over the past two elections.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Wow, look at the Klan trying to intimidate the over 90% of nonwhite Santa Ana residents. It's like a chicken puffing up its chest and screeching like it were an eagle.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I was in Thousand Oaks back in 2008 or so and it was one of the whitest parts of California I've been in, others including places like Mission Viejo and Kensington, and to a lesser extent Los Altos, Pleasanton and San Ramon.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

poo poo, drink enough to have a decent stream and you don't even need to jump the fence.

I see "right" in that quote and I think, "The facts and evidence tell me I was wrong, but my heart and best intentions tell me I was right".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Symetrique posted:

Thought this was amusing.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/uc-irvine-students-vote-to-remove-american-flag-from-campus-lobby/

I'm glad to see that UCLA's USAC isn't the only incompetent student government around.

Irvine is going berserk over this right now. P dumb to even let it on the floor imho

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Also someone in one of my UCI facebook groups released the Google Drive spreadsheet with the roll call and the 6 people who voted to remove the flag.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

All 6 of them should be hit with a sock full of oranges for the horrendous Tea Party bullshit they're going to subject this university to for the next month. Assholes.

The rest of ASUCI, led by the president, is already backpedaling away from this mess as fast as possible.

At least spring break's in two weeks. Small condolences...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's legit terrifying to me to watch global warming slowly cook Riverside and the Inland Empire alive. It's predicted to be over 80 degrees here for the next 7 days, peaking at 90 degrees on Saturday. In March. Where, historically, only 1 day in 10 is over 80 degrees. Jesus Christ.

It's forecast to be like four straight days of 90 degrees here in Irvine.

I remember back last May, it hit like, 98 and then 105 and then 101 in three days, when previously the May high was 90 degrees.