Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
As a San Diego Chargers fan my whole life I was happy the city didn't cave to the shithead owners and give them a bunch of our money for a new stadium.

I'm sad not to have a team anymore, but gently caress greedy rich owners.

I also agree with the sentiment that a major sports team brings the community together and has many intangible benefits in that vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Forgive me if this is old news but I just saw it

quote:

Gavin Newsom’s promise to appoint a Black woman if either of California’s U.S. Senate seats opened up
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-04-13/gov-gavin-newson-sen-dianne-feinstein-promise-to-appoint-a-black-woman

Can someone help me understand how is this not racism and sexism? If a company put in their job wanted ad for a position "[certain race] and [certain sex] only" that would be grounds for a slam dunk lawsuit under the equal opportunity employment act.

Not to mention he's preemptively freezing out great potential candidates like Schiff and Porter because of their skin color.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

it's not about race, it's about important caucuses in the democratic party

especially if you're planning a presidential bid

I get that it's all realpolitik at this level, what rubs me the wrong way is that it's still discrimination couched in a kind of unassailable sanctimony. Not to mention how patronizing it is.

Sure, appointing a black woman to placate your desired demographic is the plan--this stuff's been goign on since the beginning of democracy, but announcing your cynical power-politics is a finger in the eye to anyone paying attention.

Come to think of it, it's also just bad tactics. Locking himself in a course of action when of course the situation can change.

Maybe I'm just old and still clinging to the outmoded idea that people should be judged on the content of their character and not their sex or skin color.

quote:

one difference that seems relevant to the equal opportunity employment act (i am not a lawyer) is he isn't seeking applications for employment

They are different situations I agree. Do the similarities in the analogy mean anything to you?

aventari fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 29, 2023

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Lol.

Stop listening to Larry Elder dude.

I don't know who that is, but I appreciate your input to the discussion.

Family Values posted:

Are you also on the 'affirmative action is reverse racism' train too?

I'm not really familiar with "reverse racism", what do you mean by that?

The inverse of racism to me would be equality, but I don't think that's your meaning.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what similarities, exactly

The primary similarity being that you are declaring that only people of a certain skin color and gender will be considered for and allowed to fullfill an employment position.

That's not a component of an ideology I'd want to be teaching my kids.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

sb hermit posted:

I would be more in support of meritocracies if, indeed, literally everyone started off on exactly the same footing with the same advantages, disadvantages, and so on.

So "content of their character" sounds good and all but in reality such ideas work heavily in favor of those populations that already have the necessary advantages when they start running. And if those populations continue to get elected, they can (consciously or unconsciously) be blind to concerns that affect other groups that are ostensibly represented but are getting ignored anyway.

So what you're saying is the way people should be treated should not be based on their character and qualities. Instead you think they everyone should be treated individually based on a rubric consisting of (i assume) their ancenstry, sex, gender identity, childhood opportunities, etc?
This is problematic to say the least. First of all, what criteria decide the characterstics included in this rubric? Who scores these characteristics? Is it regional? Immutable? I could go on but I think you get the point.
If this isn't what you mean I'd love clarification.

Other than this rejection of MLK principles, the only other argument I'm hearing is straight up Machiavellian politics to ensure demographic support for something that's not clear. Who or what exactly are we trying to lock down the votes for? Newsom's future presidential bid? I don't think that's something many people are clamoring for.

Keeping a democratic seat in the Senate? That doesn't make sense, CA sending two dems to the Senate is already a fait accompli.

aventari fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 1, 2023

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

CA never had black senator before Kamala.

Senate's had less than a dozen black senators in it's 230+ year history.

Did you have a problem with that body and the CA senate office being basically whites only until the last decade?

Yes I have a few problems with it. One is that those bodies being virutally only white males, with a very high confidence stastically we weren't getting the best and brightest candidates serving. This is a huge disservice to everyone.
Another problem is that is was unfair to anyone who wasn't a white male that they would either not be considered, or legally barred from participating.

Now consider our current situation where the only people being allowed into these senate positions are black females. Do you see how this is the same problem, just switching a few arbitrary physical characteristics around?

CPColin posted:

Huh, usually I have to go out to Morro Bay to hear the sea lions
Huh usually I find the trolls camping under Coronado bridge

aventari fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 1, 2023

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

sb hermit posted:

Under represented groups tend to have their voices suppressed and their powers diminished. With a national stage, it's more likely that their concerns and priorities can come to the forefront. I think if Gavin wants to appoint someone from a historically under represented population, who seems qualified to do the job, he should be able to do it. Representation has been the only argument I've seriously made.

There is no perfect rubric to judge anything and everything. That's why elections occur and we have people use their own judgements to elect a senator. Meanwhile, my opinion is to just let Gavin use his judgement until elections roll around.

I agree with this whole reply. Appointing someone qualified from under represented groups can only be a good thing. He will get his marching orders from the party and I'm sure there's a massive process behind the scenes with all sorts of maneuvers and machinations where potential candidates every personal quality including race and gender are strategically considered.

My only problem is the idea that before the process occurs, publically deciding and declaring that only a certain race and gender will be considered. It's a bad look, it feels like culture war fuel, and it's a tactical mistake.

Sydin posted:

Bringing it back to the senate selection, I don't have a problem with Newsom's pledge and the fact is there are multiple eminently qualified black women for the position and he will select from that pool. aventari mentioned Schiff and Porter as examples of qualified candidates who would be overlooked because of the pledge, but I haven't seen any explanation for why they are any more qualified for the position than, say, Barbara Lee. Maybe even if Newsom wasn't under pressure to tap a black woman for the seat, he'd still pick Lee anyway given her qualifications. And if he didn't, would the person he picked be because of 100% meritocratic reasons? Based on his last pick - a long time political ally and friend of Newsom - I'd argue that no, he'd just pick somebody that would help him with his future aspirations again. The alternative to Newsom's pledge isn't a purely meritocratic pick, it's some other public or backroom consideration instead.

This is interesting, I'd say not having a problem with the pledge is a far cry from thinking it's a good idea. And why do you think Newsom is under pressure to tap a black woman instead of for example: a hispanic woman (given that CA is nearly 40% hispanic)? I like what you said about the alternative to his pledge not being a purely meritocratic pick, because you're right and even with the pledge it's a bunch of backroom dealing just like it's always been.

I think I was not clear earlier in the thread and conflating a few different arguments. To bring it back, I'm not naive enough to think any government position is a metitocracy--but that it should be the ideal to strive for. It will especially never be a meritocracy in a senate nomination where Gavin has got this thing and it's loving golden.

--

I appreciate the few of you willing to have an adult discussion in good faith.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

quote:

“There has been no slowdown,” Feinstein wrote in a statement last week. “I’m confident that when I return to the Senate, we will be able to move the remaining qualified nominees out of committee quickly and to the Senate floor for a vote.”

She is just awful.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Steve French posted:

We have a 93 that my wife has owned for 20 years, and this has never once happened to either of us getting it smogged.

IME They won't outright refuse you, they'll just charge a shitload more, or say something like 'oh the machine that does the tailpipe sniffer is broken right now'

As a racer and car enthusiast with a dozen or so older cars I have to deal with uncompromising draconian smog rules constantly. I'm still mad at the legislature and Arnold for repealing the rolling 30 year smog exemption that they never intended on honoring.

Aside I actually race a 1993 Accord in low budget endurance racing and it's been amazing :aliexpress:

aventari fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2024

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Yeah, been racing it ~10 years, won class B in Lemons a few years ago.
Also some wins in Chumpcar and Lucky Dog :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Bodhidharma posted:

I think Schiff being a leading "resistance" figure during the Trump Administration gave him a huge boost. I'm sure many of his fans are boomers.

Schiff voter here. His poise, persuasiveness, and intelligence during the impeachment trails won me over. I think he has the charisma and character to be a good leader for the party. His positions on the issues are quite reasonable.

I guess I'm a stupid boomer with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and... I like to kiss my own butt.