Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
$10 minimum wage. Eat it, corporations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
The high ratio of conservatives among STEM majors was the first thing that surprised me about the UC system. Probably because they were more likely to come from high income families and less likely to take any social justice classes in college.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

agarjogger posted:

The d&d thread about this was called Terrible Engineering Political Views. It was, believe it or not, somewhat contentious.

I'm amazed by the amount of nice 40k cars that students drive. Must be parents giving their old cars (i.e. 2-5 years old) to their kids as gifts This college is heavily science-based and by no means a liberal arts college, although it recently had some union strikes.

As a non-California native, this state is WAY more conservative than I thought. Stuff like gay marriage and climate change are generally accepted, but taxes are kinda scorned to an extent.

I like Joel Stein's description of CA: "the liberal state that wants to spend on everything and the libertarian state that won't pay for anything."

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Is there really any practical way to address gentrification in the Bay Area? I guess I'm confused, because if there's a tech boom in an area that's expensive to begin with, then of course non-tech skilled people are going to be at a disadvantage.

It does, however, make me wonder how the hell police officers and mailmen afford to live there - even in apartments, let alone raise families? Do they all have to commute to the city they police/deliver mail in?

Seems like these changes are out of our control. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Driving through / touring the Bay Area and Marin county is always an eye-opener. People are wealthy to a point where it's obscene.

(I'm saying this is as a detached, withdrawn observer, not as an angry, jealous Occupy protester).

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 23, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I've concluded that California's liberalism is largely a facade covering up libertarianism.

See: Prop 13 (keeping property taxes neutral so homeowners won't pay as much money into schools), also needing 2/3rd vote from legislature to raise state taxes

"I told Warren that if he mentions Proposition 13 again he has to do 500 sit-ups." -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Time to research the average homeowner's salary in California. I bet it's high enough for them to pay property taxes that help schools, aka "the common good" out!

Also want to note the obvious fact that CA property will always be expensive because of nature. Not all states are sunny, surrounded by mountains and ocean. This is the place to be.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
This discussion has enlightened me, i.e. California's budget is dysfunctional not because of stereotypical liberal "overspending" but quite the opposite. I find it ironic, especially since Fox News will point to our terrible schools and associate it with welfare, etc.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

The main thing that drove prop 13 was the image of the poor grandma getting forced out of her home by big property taxes,

Counterpoint: Most grandma homeowners have already paid off their drat mortgages...

quote:

not to mention the idea of tax cuts for everyone has lots of appeal to your average voter.

I'm beginning to realize that tax cuts often have a sinister motive, not a pragmatic and budgetary one. (Feel free to provide examples to the contrary, as I'm sure there are plenty).

Tax increases, however, seem to address things that truly need more funding. The only corruption I can see happening is higher-ups hoarding our cash for themselves or government ineptitude. I see this as less of a problem than policies that cause wealth to accumulate while the lower and middle classes get shafted.

quote:

It also ended up being a big giveaway to corporations since they could avoid paying more property tax by holding onto the property even after doing big upgrades to the property.

I initially thought it applied only to homes, not corporate property! Amazing.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Arguing with stubborn assholes is practice, but maybe not after 5 pages...

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
"Patriot", "common sense", freedom", "Constitution", "hard-working"....

Tim Donnelly wins the prize for most cliche, red flag buzzwords this election.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

I voted for Tim Donnelly :getin:

But serious, I just got back from voting. I was the 5th person. In 5 hours.

Well, on the bright side it makes your vote have more of an impact...

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
lol, I heard on NPR that voter turnout was a record breaking low for California. 19% state average. However, Alpine and Sierra counties had 60-65% turnout.

I was driving in 100 degree weather, so maybe I was too distracted and misheard. Climate change: nailing the Central Valley this century.

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Got my voter information booklet the other day. I haven't read the whole thing but I have initial opinions on these:

1. The Proposition that makes punishment for non-violent felonies less harsh is a "Yes", due to prison overcrowding and people's lives being ruined for stupid mistakes.

2.The Proposition that enables a Commissioner to review and approve health cost increases is also a "Yes", despite the buckets of money being poured into what appears to be a fear-based campaign against it.

Any thoughts?

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
To be honest, I often use the frequency of political ads on the radio as a bullshit detector. Usually it's the people with the power that bombard TV/radio/media while the underdog's position is drowned out. What can I say, I'm an underdog kind of guy - generally!

(the healthcare industry's ad lately describes the proposition as a scam meant to enrich lawyers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I knew Prop 45 was going to fail when I began receiving "No" brochures in the mail on a weekly basis.

loving old people. It's their fault, I believe.